Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I remember when Brazil said there was going to be no alcohol in the stadiums and FIFA threatened to pull the entire WC. You think they'll say anything this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I remember when Brazil said there was going to be no alcohol in the stadiums and FIFA threatened to pull the entire WC. You think they'll say anything this time?

As long as beer companies continue to be some of FIFA's biggest sponsors, then yes they definitely will force them to allow it or they'll take the WC somewhere else.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When will a heroin cartel sponsor the cup so we can count the slumped over corpses in the crowd

This is why we need Blatter back

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
the Andean region will host the World Cup soon enough

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

There will probably be some retarded token system or something so you can get beer in the stadium but their not technically selling it but you just won't be able to get tanked up before hand.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

freeedr posted:

When will a heroin cartel sponsor the cup so we can count the slumped over corpses in the crowd
Put the World Cup in the U.S. Rust Belt and problem solved

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Beckenbauer must be feeling nervous about now.

quote:

Investigators have carried out further house searches as part of a widening probe into bribery allegations over the awarding of the 2006 World Cup to Germany, Swiss prosecutors say.
The inquiry is centred on the 2006 World Cup organising committee which includes former Germany captain Franz Beckenbauer, who has denied corruption.
It has now been broadened to include former senior Fifa official Urs Linsi.
German media reports say that a slush fund was set up to buy Fifa votes.
The inquiry centres on four people - including Mr Beckenbauer - who were part of the German bid.

Investigators have been especially concerned about a payment of about 10m Swiss Francs ($9.8m; £7.9m) to Fifa in 2005.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38157099

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
What other countries were in contention for 2006?

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Gigi Galli posted:

What other countries were in contention for 2006?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup#Host_selection

England, South Africa and ... Morocco (Brazil withdrew).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ellspurs posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup#Host_selection

England, South Africa and ... Morocco (Brazil withdrew).
Wasn't that the World Cup that was originally supposed to go to Africa? And there was controversy over the final vote?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

https://youtu.be/bcuAw77J8_Y

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Crazy Ted posted:

Wasn't that the World Cup that was originally supposed to go to Africa? And there was controversy over the final vote?

Blatter wanted it in Africa, the rest of the flock anywhere that paid enough for it.

Edit: Brazil withdrew after making arrangements with Germany and UEFA on hosting in 2014 iirc.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Someone should make a new thread regarding the huge football leak that just happened. I suck at ops

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

orange sky posted:

Someone should make a new thread regarding the huge football leak that just happened. I suck at ops

whats this then?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Naldo hid €150 million in the British Virgin Islands.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://eic.network these are the newspapers that have the files. All trustworthy information should come though those

Some of them haven't published anything yet. I know https://www.expresso.pt has indo already up, but editors must be scared shitless of reporting something like this. If it turns out to be a false alarm, ohhhhhh poo poo.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 3, 2016

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I'm not clear at all on what the exact story is here. I know Ozil and Ronaldo and probably everyone who ever touched la liga is implicated, but I haven't seen a comprehensive story of what we're talking about, or if what we're talking about is actually criminal and not just creative accounting.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

orange sky posted:

https://eic.network these are the newspapers that have the files. All trustworthy information should come though those

Some of them haven't published anything yet. I know https://www.expresso.pt has indo already up, but editors must be scared shitless of reporting something like this. If it turns out to be a false alarm, ohhhhhh poo poo.

http://espresso.repubblica.it/ has it as well, they say they've been sitting on this for a year while the evidence accumulates.

We talked a bit about this in the Serie A thread. Right now it's mostly tax fraud which may or not be illegal which also has been happening since the dawn of taxes anywhere. Where I think this could go bad is with the stuff about transfers and how labor laws were probably broken. Again, sketchy details and I honestly can't bring myself to care about billionaires circumventing tax laws any more.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

Millionaire footballers use tax havens, just like every other millionaire. This changes everything!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

jeebus bob posted:

Naldo hid €150 million in the British Virgin Islands.

Naldo is the name of a centerback playing for Schalke right now, and I don't think he earned that much money to set aside.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Healbot posted:

Naldo is the name of a centerback playing for Schalke right now, and I don't think he earned that much money to set aside.

I meant Roland, captain of the Portugays, champion of UEFA, toucher of balls.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

jeebus bob posted:

I meant Roland, captain of the Portugays, champion of UEFA, toucher of balls.

This guy?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I think you mean the Bimbo advert superstar Cristian Orlando

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
mods please rename me Cristiano Rolando

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tim roth did a guardian interview

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/04/tim-roth-if-you-neglect-working-class-for-so-long-they-will-rebel-against-you

quote:

Roth takes a long puff and sighs. “The Fifa thing was school fees, college fees, all of that. That was: ‘gently caress it, man, you know what, I’ve got to do this, got to pay the rent and got to look after the boys.’ So, that’s what that was. I’m sure I was soundly criticised for it, as I should have been.”

He paid penance during the World Cup in Brazil, he says, by shunning Fifa-supplied VIP tickets. “For every match. Every one. And it was just too embarrassing to go.” He laughs. “How hosed up was that? That’s the price for playing a guy like that.”

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
all this could've been avoided if Roth would've just moved to Germany, where schools and colleges are free.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

This is super sad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He's not a lovely C-list actor you don't need to pity him for selling his soul and taking a massive payday

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I never actually watched the whole thing, I just skipped around a bit till that gem at the end with Mandela

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/806527894478524417

16 groups of three LOL

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know, is it really any more or less ridiculous than what we have now? In this format two teams, I assume, progress from groups of three. Not that big a deal IMO.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I hope Infantino gets banned from football also.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I don't know, is it really any more or less ridiculous than what we have now? In this format two teams, I assume, progress from groups of three. Not that big a deal IMO.

Not a big deal, apart from their are only a couple of countries that have the stadiums, hotels, etc to cope with 48 countries worth of fans. England, Germany and the USA are the only ones who could host in on their own - and even they would struggle due to the complete nightmare policing it would be.

Scotland still wouldn't qualify though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ukle posted:

Not a big deal, apart from their are only a couple of countries that have the stadiums, hotels, etc to cope with 48 countries worth of fans. England, Germany and the USA are the only ones who could host in on their own - and even they would struggle due to the complete nightmare policing it would be.

I encourage everyone to re-read the op in light of this post.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ukle posted:

Not a big deal, apart from their are only a couple of countries that have the stadiums, hotels, etc to cope with 48 countries worth of fans.
:rip:

quote:

Yep

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ukle posted:

I get the feeling that FIFA and the IOC both reached a point of no return in the mid-2000's where they realized that their events had two directions they could go. Either consider hosting bids based on feasibility or consider them based on the amount of graft and bribes were possible. Both groups seem to have made the decision to go with the options that could get them the most bribe money to line their pockets.

I hope that the debacle with the recent winter olympics in Sochi and the bidding that resulted in Beijing has taught the IOC the lesson they needed to learn, I'm unsure about FIFA.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The early stages of international tournaments are already bloated and boring, this just adds another 16 fixtures

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Maybe they are thinking the 3rd group of 16 would be full of bad countries and they would just play amongst themselves sorta like a Europa League thing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/dec/09/more-than-1000-russian-athletes-benefitted-from-state-sponsored-doping

Russia has been misbehaving and doping athletes (including footballers) on a massive scale for years with undetectable PEDs, according to a new WADA report.

But I'm sure the 2018 World Cup will be above board!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Didn't realize there was a demand for PK shootouts throughout the entire World Cup:

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/807137121412780033