Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tsob posted:

What are the margins of error out of interest? If Clinton got 50 million more votes (I'm aware she won't get close to that, it's an intentional exaggeration), would something happen then?

If Clinton got enough votes to swing the electoral votes, things would change. If she just got an even higher percentage of popular and still lost, nothing would change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

socialsecurity posted:

Obama didn't encourage violence at his rallies. Also there wasn't a large violent subculture as well as the KKK supporting him, pretending they are somehow equal is just silly.
If you want me to die on the hill of saying they're equivalent, I won't. That would be insane. It's also not what I said.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azhais posted:

If Clinton got enough votes to swing the electoral votes, things would change. If she just got an even higher percentage of popular and still lost, nothing would change.

I'm not really sure I understand this: do you mean that it doesn't matter how much more popular she was, the only thing that matters is the electoral college and she'd have to swing them somehow despite them being already decided?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

tsob posted:

I'm not really sure I understand this: do you mean that it doesn't matter how much more popular she was, the only thing that matters is the electoral college and she'd have to swing them somehow despite them being already decided?

thats exactly it. it doesnt matter if she got 1 million more votes in total than trump in already blue places, if they weren't in places like Florida/North Carolina/Ohio it wouldnt help her win at all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

Yes, that is how the electoral college works. Popular vote does not actually matter except in extreme cases. I mean the electoral college is indirectly derived from the popular vote so it's not like you're going to have a candidate with 100% of the popular vote yet they lose the electoral college, but because of the way the numbers work out it can get weird when there's a close split.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can think of a few uses for pyramid scheme knives...

http://fox8.com/2016/11/08/creepy-amazon-reviews-tied-to-suspected-serial-killer/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tsob posted:

Yeah. I don't think the electoral votes are actually 100% officially final yet, there's some backend bookkeeping to do, and if any of them are really close (I haven't looked) there could be some manual recounts, but things rarely change much after the results are all in.

Technically speaking there's no legal reason that the republican appointed electoral college people couldn't vote in any random scrub they wanted to at this point too, so the popular vote is even less important that it appears :v:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Technically speaking there's no legal reason that the republican appointed electoral college people couldn't vote in any random scrub they wanted to at this point too, so the popular vote is even less important that it appears :v:

That's not entirely true. Some states have laws that force their electors to vote for whoever wins the state.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some people I was talking to last night were talking a lot about suicide, so I'm a little worried for their safety.

I guess now we can hope to find out once and for all what happens when the president is convicted of a crime.

I'm still trying work through the denial/bargaining phase, I don't know how to put anything together.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I completed full acceptance phase around noontime today and now I can look forward to improving my own future in the federal government.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
This upcoming episode is going to be super loving awkward. I feel like Full Frontal tonight is going to be insanely awkward given the tone she had on Monday.

As much as I love both Oliver and Samantha Bee they and a LOT of other comedians and media personalities gave entirely too much free airtime, and it goes even as far back as the primaries

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Servaetes posted:

This upcoming episode is going to be super loving awkward. I feel like Full Frontal tonight is going to be insanely awkward given the tone she had on Monday.

As much as I love both Oliver and Samantha Bee they and a LOT of other comedians and media personalities gave entirely too much free airtime, and it goes even as far back as the primaries

Someone has to get the free airtime, and frankly Trump was only one of several utterly detestable Republican candidates.

America now has to come to grips with how hosed over the Rust Belt feels.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Servaetes posted:

To be fair Oliver really loving hated the idea of giving him attention and didn't give him air time until it became clear he was the presumptive nominee, when they did the big blowout piece.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dont even fink about it posted:

My main consolation right now is thinking about how entertaining he'll be as president, when he completely fucks everything up by trying to tax companies to keep them domestic and alienates the US from the international community by getting in pointless arguments with world leaders because he has no self control

I hope he tries to build that stupid loving wall too, just for the comedy of Mexico telling him to go gently caress himself and him trying to self fund it, then giving up with only a tiny portion of it completed because it's too expensive and ultimately futile regardless.

It's not nice, but he's not gonna do a tap to help anyone in the end, himself excluded, so at least maybe his completely ineffectual presidency might get the people who voted for him to realise how worthless he is despite his simplistic promises. Far from dealing with the rust belt, I'm imagining this will be the most ignored they've ever felt due to the expectations they've accrued.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

No one will ever actually come to grips with that, because any Trump voters with genuine concerns over town survival/longevity in the Rust Belt will get shouted the gently caress down by everyone who's just super happy they can openly hate <insert minority here> again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You know what would be really nuts?

If when the electoral college meets in December there's enough faithless electors to gently caress the whole thing over.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

If when the electoral college meets in December there's enough faithless electors to gently caress the whole thing over.

Just lol. The college is for show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The total dismantling (not reform) of the ACA has wide reaching consequences across the healthcare space. I know, in my situation, my entire division is completely hosed if that happens to the point where we would likely be completely liquidated. There's a lot more legislation there than just "sell people overpriced insurance."

So, just feeling like I got hit by a truck last night. My entire career to this point is in jeopardy because the orange rear end in a top hat managed to tap into and mobilize racist fuckwits to the polls.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not going to happen. We're hosed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bull3964 posted:

So, just feeling like I got hit by a truck last night. My entire career to this point is in jeopardy because the orange rear end in a top hat managed to tap into and mobilize racist fuckwits to the polls.

I love how people will learn absolutely nothing from this election.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

The total dismantling (not reform) of the ACA has wide reaching consequences across the healthcare space. I know, in my situation, my entire division is completely hosed if that happens to the point where we would likely be completely liquidated. There's a lot more legislation there than just "sell people overpriced insurance."

What is your job out of curiosity. :(

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

Honestly I think Canada might be 10-15 years away from its version of Brexit and Trump. Don't bother.

Much, much sooner if electoral reform fizzles. FPTP gave Harper his majority, it gave Trump the electoral college, and it'll do the same for Canadian Trump, whoever that ends up being.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm loling at the people who were against leaving FPTP and toward more proportional voting ITT.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Supercar Gautier posted:

Much, much sooner if electoral reform fizzles. FPTP gave Harper his majority, it gave Trump the electoral college, and it'll do the same for Canadian Trump, whoever that ends up being.

Fptp gave Trudeau his majority too, with similar popular vote numbers as Harper.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Supercar Gautier posted:

FPTP isn't the same as electoral college, but good on you making a bad comparison.

TheCenturion posted:

Fptp gave Trudeau his majority too, with similar popular vote numbers as Harper.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

And he now incorrectly believes it makes him invincible from the next conservative wave.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Supercar Gautier posted:

And he now incorrectly believes it makes him invincible from the next conservative wave.

Yeah, he got REALLY lucky with that election and a move away from FPTP will only help the Liberals in the future. Hopefully he realizes that while he's still in a position to do anything about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What is your job out of curiosity. :(

Not going to get into specifics since it's a small enough field that it would be pretty easy to figure out where I work, but a good chunk of our revenue is enabled around Medicare/Medicaid regulations. We have revenue outside that, but Medicare/Medicaid reform drove a large chunk of our growth.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, he got REALLY lucky with that election and a move away from FPTP will only help the Liberals in the future. Hopefully he realizes that while he's still in a position to do anything about it.

I just loving want the NDP to stop loving around and also Wynne to gently caress off.
Also the loving social Con guys who keep popping up need to go back to their troll caves. What in saying is I dislike the current Canadian parties.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Scorchy posted:

To be fair Oliver really loving hated the idea of giving him attention and didn't give him air time until it became clear he was the presumptive nominee, when they did the big blowout piece.

Drumpf had as much to do with getting elected as his "media attention". Oliver, Bee, Dunham are smug assholes who alienate anyone who isn't a #ImWithHer donor.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Oliver, Bee, Dunham are smug assholes who alienate anyone who isn't a #ImWithHer donor.
You're right, if liberals were less smug and elitist and more cordial to Trump supporters it would totally make all the difference and change so many minds.

I'm being smugly sarcastic in case that wasn't clear. This weird sentiment of "stop talking down to the stupid racists who vote against their own interests and treat their insane conspiracy theories and ignorance like it's a totally reasonable platform" is how you will end up with CNN talking to a civil rights activist who marched with King and then checking in with a guy in a KKK hood for a balanced counterpoint.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

You're right, if liberals were less smug and elitist and more cordial to Trump supporters it would totally make all the difference and change so many minds.

I'm being smugly sarcastic in case that wasn't clear. This weird sentiment of "stop talking down to the stupid racists who vote against their own interests and treat their insane conspiracy theories and ignorance like it's a totally reasonable platform" is how you will end up with CNN talking to a civil rights activist who marched with King and then checking in with a guy in a KKK hood for a balanced counterpoint.

People can have more than one grievance, even if some of them are retarded or bigoted. Some are relevant, and powerful motivators.

Nobody needs to be cordial, but completely disregarding empathy because "that group is a bunch of racists" simplifies and damages efforts to actually accomplish poo poo. You can't fix them all, because there are serious god's honest bigots and racists and evil people, but there are others who are just stuck in the same environment and suffering while being derided by the other side.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VagueRant posted:

Except that tactic backfired tremendously.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ausmund posted:

Except that tactic backfired tremendously.

No it didn't, it's effectively the same strategy Trump used. It worked perfectly for him. Actually doubling down and saying "These people are monsters and we will make a list and murder them in their sleep" might have fired up the Democratic base more by that logic. Certainly no more combative than "All Mexicans are rapists and thieves and I will build a wall to keep them out". Christ, that line got 30% of Latinos to back him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mulva posted:

No it didn't, it's effectively the same strategy Trump used. It worked perfectly for him. Actually doubling down and saying "These people are monsters and we will make a list and murder them in their sleep" might have fired up the Democratic base more by that logic. Certainly no more combative than "All Mexicans are rapists and thieves and I will build a wall to keep them out". Christ, that line got 30% of Latinos to back him.
It's not just white people who are classist as gently caress and dislike poor people/immigrants.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The question, the hard question, is to ask "WHY are these people turning to racism? What has actually gone wrong in their life that they're grasping at easy explanations?" Often they actually have real problems not in any way related to race but it's so easy to dismiss them entirely because their way of responding to those problems is so repugnant. The big problem is that neither political party actually wants to address the real roots of the problems these people are facing - they either take the Republican "southern strategy" approach where they directly appeal to their racism and validate their worldview to win votes without actually having to do anything to help them, or they take the Democrat approach where they just write them off entirely as beyond reaching.

People aren't BORN racist - they have to be taught. And they can be untaught; this is a good article about the subject. At the very least, check out the links at the bottom which are various stories about people who grew up in white nationalist households and were indoctrinated with that belief system their entire lives, yet still later learned to move away from it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Someone has to get the free airtime, and frankly Trump was only one of several utterly detestable Republican candidates.

Yeah I mean a lot of them were pretty irredeemably bad, but I think it might have just been Trump was a lot easier to write material for and they just never focused on anyone else. I want to say the dude got an insane amount of free ad time?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Drifter posted:

It's not just white people who are classist as gently caress and dislike poor people/immigrants.

You say that as if more latinos and blacks voted for Trump than Romney or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember when I pointed out this could happen in this very thread, citing the reasons behind Brexit being just as applicable here and was immediately shut down. Turns out paying attention to relevant things that happen in other parts of the world is actually important, who could have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

Drumpf had as much to do with getting elected as his "media attention". Oliver, Bee, Dunham are smug assholes who alienate anyone who isn't a #ImWithHer donor.

Oliver's show benefits from more or less not being about politics and the cycle the same way Bee's thing is, because I was utterly alienated from democrats by the end of the primaries, but I can still watch him. I'm not sure what point of my life I could tolerate Sam Bee's show, or the current version of The Daily Show, or anything like that. It helps I dislike trump too, I can tolerate Oliver's level of criticism a lot more than the skin-deep daily outrage the center-right liberal machine has been churning out day to day for the last year.

• Locked thread