Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that there were a couple of Japanese games that were obscenely rare on that level as well, but it's a sweet find.
Correct: Virtual Bowling, Virtual Lab, and SD Gundam Dimension Wars, all sell for about the same price as a US collection. If you can find them for sale.

Luckily Nester bowling is better than Virtual and SD Gundam is a soso Nintendo Wars like strategy game with shooter aspects. Sadly Virtual Lab is awesome - its like Pipe Dream with falling parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

over here in my bunker it's still 1997, video games are good and so is the president. I will emerge in four years

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

d0s posted:

over here in my bunker it's still 1997, video games are good and so is the president. I will emerge in four years

You can't just sit there watching the demo screen, you'll have to go out to get quarters sometime :ohdear:.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao at the crt flipped sideways, that's dedication

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao at the crt flipped sideways, that's dedication

It's the standard setup if you have any love for shmups though?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Who knows their arcade cabinet fu? Considering buying another cabinet after I let another Neo Geo MVS slip away. This one is clean, but I don't think it was the original cabinet (which shouldve been "MVS-2-25"). I think I may have mentioned another one in here last month that got away, so checking on this one now.

Anyway, the board looks proper (MV-2F). Attempting to determine if the cabinet itsself is JAMMA or MVS native.

The last two pics of the guts each show some type of un-connected connector. In an ideal world I'd leave the MVS board in, then do some switcher to a JAMMA board. I think it's accessible from the front based on some of the photos (control panel folds out?)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

Let me throw this question out there: what's the most cheerful game you can think of to go back and play? Not for nostalgia, but actually cheerful gaming?

For me it's Katamari Damacy. You can't be sad while you're rolling things up.

For me it's relatively easy games that look super, super slick when you play them well. Off the top of my head, Castlevania IV (awesomely precise whip control, moonwalking on stairs), Streets of Rage 2 (defeating bosses without getting hit by cancelling their attacks, throwing enemies for crowd control), and Kirby's Adventure (skillful use of the slide, killing enemies by falling on them, triggering the mix roulette, actually making situational use of borderline-useless powers like Ball).

The Kirby series in particular defines "easy to play, difficult to master" for me. It's really, really gratifying to play for imaginary style points, and you're never stuck for long—if at all—when you gently caress up.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rollersnake posted:

The Kirby series in particular defines "easy to play, difficult to master" for me. It's really, really gratifying to play for imaginary style points, and you're never stuck for long—if at all—when you gently caress up.

It's like during the credits sequence for Kirby's Adventure...the weird mine-digging boss...where it shows Kirby doing a fuckton of damage to it by simply floating down with the parasol!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Well the NES mini release in Australia was a shambles. Absurdly low level of stock compared to demand. I imagine it will be the same in the US.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Hope it's not uncouth to ask, but what is the best SNES emulator at this point? Still using ZSNES but starting to notice some sound quality issues.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kirby is probably the most cheerful series in videogames. I played Dream Land 1+2 recently and those are just immensely happy games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Orgophlax posted:

Hope it's not uncouth to ask, but what is the best SNES emulator at this point? Still using ZSNES but starting to notice some sound quality issues.
higan (formerly BSNES) is unequivocably the most accurate. Even SNES9X is still better than ZSNES, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Well the NES mini release in Australia was a shambles. Absurdly low level of stock compared to demand. I imagine it will be the same in the US.

It's getting a restock at major retailers in early December, apparently. Dude in another thread said "6-20 units per store".

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shadow Hog posted:

higan (formerly BSNES) is unequivocably the most accurate. Even SNES9X is still better than ZSNES, though.

On the other hand bsnes-plus (a fork from before it became higan) isn't impenetrable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

bSNES/Higan is the most well-developed and accurate at this point, but it has heavier system requirements than you may expect. It's also built into many of the multi-emulator-core apps that float around nowadays, like RetroArch and such. I personally use BizHawk.

If your computer is unable to comfortably handle bSNES, SNES9X is more lightweight while still being more accurate than ZSNES.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Some of us were smart enough to see this coming a mile off and lock in a preorder six months ago.

Also good luck getting a second controller if you didn't preorder one, because those are just gone. There's no indiciation of them getting a restock either.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Absolutely. There are some good horiz arcade shmups, but verts are the real deal. Starting in the 32-bit era of consoles, home ports of these games started having tate (pronounced "tah-tay", JP word meaning "to stand") modes that gave you the True Arcade Experience™... mostly in Japan. The rare few that got US releases on PS1 (and PS2, I think) had their tate modes removed so rednecks wouldn't sue Sony and the publishers when they broke their 300-pound TV sets (or themselves) trying to rotate it. Sega didn't give a poo poo so Galactic Attack and Gunbird 2 survived the localization intact. Before the HD era, the regular display modes ("yoko") were notoriously bad, especially the dreaded "wobble" mode that scrolled the background (in an already forced-scrolling game :psyduck:) depending where on the screen you were. There were scaling issues in the yoko modes too, resulting in weird-looking sprites and shimmering backgrounds, or enemies firing from off-screen. It was just bad, and having a tate setup (which meant importing) was really the only way.

Random Stranger posted:

Let me throw this question out there: what's the most cheerful game you can think of to go back and play? Not for nostalgia, but actually cheerful gaming?

Cute-em-ups! Parodius, L-Dis, Coryoon, any of the Twinbee games, Muchi Muchi Pork, etc.

This has happened many times with many Nintendo products across all regions. I'm convinced at this point they do it on purpose to fabricate hype.

Orgophlax posted:

Yeah, dump ZSNES.

Snes9x - Good
bSNES performance core - Better
bSNES accuracy core - Best

Both of the latter two can be found in BizHawk, which also runs every other major console/handheld. Not sure what's in RetroArch, but that's an option, too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ofecks posted:

home ports of these games started having tate (pronounced "tah-tay", JP word meaning "to stand") modes that gave you the True Arcade Experience™

You are blowing my drat mind right now. I always read this as 'tate. Like, a dumb way of shortening the word rotate.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wish there was a SNES emulator that did hi-res mode7 (that isn't ZSNES). It's pretty neat.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Speaking of SNES and Mode 7, while it's awkward as poo poo I've gotta give props to Axelay for being both weird and addicting (once you finally get it. The vertical Mode 7 stages are exponentially harder than the horizontal stages.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

Who knows their arcade cabinet fu? Considering buying another cabinet after I let another Neo Geo MVS slip away. This one is clean, but I don't think it was the original cabinet (which shouldve been "MVS-2-25"). I think I may have mentioned another one in here last month that got away, so checking on this one now.

Anyway, the board looks proper (MV-2F). Attempting to determine if the cabinet itsself is JAMMA or MVS native.

The last two pics of the guts each show some type of un-connected connector. In an ideal world I'd leave the MVS board in, then do some switcher to a JAMMA board. I think it's accessible from the front based on some of the photos (control panel folds out?)

that's definitely not an original neo-geo cabinet, but it looks clean so if original doesn't matter then it should be good for you. it's hard to tell if the cab is jamma or MVS as there is no pic of the harness, I also don't see a game select button on there either so that's kinda weird. there are definitely adapters for that sort of thing so it shouldn't be a big deal if a cab is initially wired for jamma or MVS. Yes, you can fold down the control panel and load stuff through the front. I don't know what those connectors are for, but that cab does have a breakout for video adjustment, a handy thing if you're going to be swapping jamma boards, as no two boards do the same things on screen and typically need at least brightness adjustment and sometimes recentering, and it's a bitch and kind of dangerous to go in and adjust that on the monitor itself.

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 10, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A friend of mine claims that turning CRT's or PVM's sideways in tate mode might cause damage because the components inside them can be connected in a way that's not meant to support their weight sideways. I'm not tech savvy enough to comment if it's true or not. Does anyone here know enough about the insides of those monitors to comment?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 10, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

A friend of mine claims that turning CRT's or PVM's sideways in tate mode might cause damage because the components inside them can be connected in a way that's not meant to support their weight sideways. I'm not tech savvy enough to comment if it's true or not. Does anyone here know enough about the insides of those monitors to comment?

I definitely remember hearing that in the late 90's, it was safest to get a screen specifically designed so it could go on its side.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I don't get with the NES Mini; If they're going to save a few bucks and not include a power supply (it uses USB) to minimize e-Waste or whatever, why the gently caress did Nintendo not just do the sane thing and use their goddamn 3DS power supplies instead? The ones readily available for about $15 Australian and used with most of the Nintendo handhelds for the past decade?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 10, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I don't get with the NES Mini; If they're going to save a few bucks and not include a power supply (it uses USB) to minimize e-Waste or whatever, why the gently caress did Nintendo not just do the sane thing and use their goddamn 3DS power supplies instead? The ones readily available for about $15 Australian and used with most of the Nintendo handhelds for the past decade?

The worst thing about the NES Classic in my mind is the cord on the controllers is like a foot and a half long.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TeaJay posted:

It can happen, but it's not something I'd worry too much about. Maybe in a couple of years dos will need to replace the TV, but it might be fine long term too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TeaJay posted:

The model I'm using is known to deal with being tate'd well and hasn't given me problems in the 2 1/2 years I've had it on it's side constantly. With a lot of models though (probably the majority) they will show strange effects or even be damaged by it.

edit: PVMs should be fine though, being turned on their side is something explicitly built into their spec

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drone posted:

The worst thing about the NES Classic in my mind is the cord on the controllers is like a foot and a half long.

I ordered a pair of the third-party extension cables while EB Games have them on their website, because I seriously doubt those will stay in-stock for long.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because the idea is to use something that you have lying around, and the intended audience are more likely to have usb chargers than 3DS chargers.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

d0s posted:

The model I'm using is known to deal with being tate'd well and hasn't given me problems in the 2 1/2 years I've had it on it's side constantly. With a lot of models though (probably the majority) they will show strange effects or even be damaged by it.

edit: PVMs should be fine though, being turned on their side is something explicitly built into their spec

Correct, PVMS are designed to operate in any orientation, unless you have a weird one (like a single Sony Pvm-411). They are also designed to be shipped by freight and take a bit of punishment. Years ago I had a rookie PA drop one of my PVM95s down a couple stairs. Despite being dinged up It never missed a beat. I used it for a couple more years for work and it is now in my old mans workshop for hooked up to a camera for lens testing.

The most important things to remember when tating a TV is heat and let it rest in the new position before you turn it on. Some CRTs are designed to vent one way and by flipping it over it sends heat over components that could be an issue. Then again, a generic CRT is free now, so if they die just ask around for a new one. Its not like a 4:3 Plasma:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

3DS power bricks supply around 4.6V, which probably isn't going to be quite enough for whatever components they're using. Not to mention the varying quality and output of third party power bricks might cause issues.

With most USB chargers, you can guarantee at least 5V 500mA. Most provide up to 2A now. Also, as mentioned, everyone and their mom has one.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

azurite posted:

3DS power bricks supply around 4.6V, which probably isn't going to be quite enough for whatever components they're using. Not to mention the varying quality and output of third party power bricks might cause issues.

With most USB chargers, you can guarantee at least 5V 500mA. Most provide up to 2A now. Also, as mentioned, everyone and their mom has one.

also it wasn't actually made by nintendo and is probably not made in nintendo factories

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kid Fenris posted:

Do people still smoke a lot in Japanese arcades? I was there in 2007 and the only ESP Galuda II machine I found was right next to a guy playing Mushihimesama with two full astrays and an apparent five-pack-a-day habit.

Saw this a few pages back while I was catching up on the thread. I was recently in Japan and smoking is now limited to certain floors of the arcade. Usually the no smoking floors are the ones with the UFO machines, photobooths, or racing games. Smoking was still allowed on floors with sit down fighting cabinets, gambling games, old games, or those weird games that use a pen/cards. I saw a number of people smoking playing some WoW looking game where a pen was used on the touchscreen. The arcade floors of super potato were also smoking.

Also, I was going through some old things and found some cool clippings from Nintendo Power magazine I saved as a kid. There used to be a section in the beginning of each issue called "envelope art" where readers could decorate an envelope and send it in. Totally forgot I saved them.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Also there are literally 1million USB power adaptors that exist for every one DS charger. Or more.

But most importantly, the motherboard specs (linked a few pages back) show that it's just an off the shelf Linux/Android/CPU thing, and those pretty much always just run on USB power.

Hell it probably works with the usb port on the back of your TV.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hot sauce posted:

Also, I was going through some old things and found some cool clippings from Nintendo Power magazine I saved as a kid. There used to be a section in the beginning of each issue called "envelope art" where readers could decorate an envelope and send it in. Totally forgot I saved them.

Holy crap I forgot about this. It's like the proto-miiverse.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

hot sauce posted:

Saw this a few pages back while I was catching up on the thread. I was recently in Japan and smoking is now limited to certain floors of the arcade. Usually the no smoking floors are the ones with the UFO machines, photobooths, or racing games. Smoking was still allowed on floors with sit down fighting cabinets, gambling games, old games, or those weird games that use a pen/cards. I saw a number of people smoking playing some WoW looking game where a pen was used on the touchscreen. The arcade floors of super potato were also smoking.

I'm Boob Robot.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Captain Rufus posted:

I'm only looking for a handful of games myself. But everyone MUST want the Sears Intellivision because it is the most awesomely ugly rear end motherfucking thing ever and I love it and am happy that's the Inty I have.

I also love the Atari 800 for the same reason. So goddamned HIDEOUS looking that it turns around to making me adore their hyper 70s rear end looks.

Atari 800 is my favorite Atari machine in a lot of ways. It just feels so rugged, it has the nice clicky keyboard that feels better than the XL/XE keyboard. Also:

- FOUR CONTROLLER PORTS, 4 player M.U.L.E. is so good.

- second cartridge slot, even though it was used almost exclusively for piracy (there was a util to dump cart games in the second slot to an exe), I don't know what Atari had in mind for this.

- Atari 800 has the buzzer channel built into the console (rather than going through the monitor) which is minor but I always thought it was kind of cool.

Also Tele-Games Super Video Arcade is truly a thing of beauty.

h_double fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 11, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dont be mean to me posted:

On the other hand bsnes-plus (a fork from before it became higan) isn't impenetrable.

What's impenetrable about it? There was that "game library" thing he did for a version, but it's right back to loading arbritrary SNES (and NES and Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance and WonderSwan/WonderSwan Color) ROMs from your normal folders.

By the way, the NES part is almost as accurate as the SNES part is, and the GB/GBC parts are similar quality.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
BSNES is also in both Retroarch, and Bizhawk, so you can use it like a normal emulator with your choice of terrible or mediocre UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Does anyone here have BIRD WEEK?

• Locked thread