Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

also imagine being a poor rural white voter who maybe has a decades old computer or maybe no computer at all and only has a landline phone

saying poo poo like "go check out my website!" isn't even speaking the same loving language

or maybe imagine someone who's an impoverished african-american in detroit or milwaukee or philadelphia who has to go to a chronically underfunded local library to use a computer or get internet access

and then half a million of them didn't show up to the polls.

god, this was such a fuckup. top to bottom. christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Mirthless posted:

I didn't say their issues were invalid or that they didn't need help

I didn't even take umbrage with the take that they voted for Trump for a reason

My objection was to a poster saying that it's an incorrect assertion to say that people who voted for Trump have low opinions of minorities and women; This is not an incorrect assertion, it is a statement of fact. If you voted for someone whose stated position is to round up 14 million people into internment camps, punish abortionesses with prison terms, and roll back our most basic race protections, you do not care about women, black people, or the gays.

It is possible to acknowledge somebody did something for a good reason without downplaying the weight of the terrible thing they did.

How do you change a culture of hate if it's verboten to call hate what it is when you see it?

By showing them that its not the minorities loving them over, which is possible to do because you know its true!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mirthless posted:

If you voted for Trump you hate women, the disabled, and minorities, period, full stop, sorry

You also hate gays and the transgendered

Sorry! Don't vote for a literal white supremacist and rapist calling for active genocide next time! Your own self centered bullshit reasons for voting don't Trump the fact that Trump ran on the platform he did

this attitude is basically why the dems will keep losing elections and probably will continue to lose them even after demographics make them the majority because the GOP peel off hispanic whites from the coalition

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
By and large I assume many Trump supporters are very racist, some are not very racist, and some simply do what anybody would do, and indeed regard the needs of strangers as a lower priority than their needs, which is legitimate for somebody who is in debt ´, unemployed and stuck in the middle of nowhere with four hungry necks to feed. I've already said to gently caress anybody who can't be arsed to take a second to think about others if they have that luxury.

In conclusion,

Zythrst posted:

By showing them that its not the minorities loving them over, which is possible to do because you know its true!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
You need to get over the thought that every person that voted for Trump did so because they hate minorities. That kind of thinking is why the Dems lost.

I guarantee you that a lot of Trump voters didn't even think about minorities, and that's a problem, but that doesn't make them bad people and blaming them is pointless.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Karl Barks posted:

by offering an alternative you giant dumbass

There was an alternative

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
The young voters are pissed btw. 2018 better not be pretty.

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Mirthless posted:

There was an alternative

HahahahahahahHH

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Fiction posted:

The young voters are pissed btw. 2018 better not be pretty.

they still wont' vote

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Mirthless posted:

There was an alternative

A person that didn't even acknowledge they existed. Awesome.

How does it feel living inside your own rear end?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mirthless posted:

There was an alternative

Hillary.com wasn't on the ballots, the last time I checked.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Zikan posted:

lol if you thought Clintonism would die immediately

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/politics/their-leadership-lean-democrats-turn-an-eye-to-rebuilding.html?_r=0

his profile on his think tank bio literally has this as the first line sounds like a winner imo

also purge the party imo

lmao we're hosed

I genuinely like hillary clinton despite her flaws and her positions I do not agree with, I was glad to vote for her, but to quote chris onstad: you folded with a focus and intensity normally seen only in success

she needs to never show her face in public again

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zythrst posted:

Cool, yes, this is a thing we should do, but it does not turn back time and change the fact that Donald Trump is a racist and white supremacist who ran on a genocide platform and got elected

NumberLast posted:

You need to get over the thought that every person that voted for Trump did so because they hate minorities. That kind of thinking is why the Dems lost.

I guarantee you that a lot of Trump voters didn't even think about minorities, and that's a problem, but that doesn't make them bad people and blaming them is pointless.

Whether or not that was their reason is irrelevant; It does not change who they voted for and what the impact of that vote is going to have on minorities and women

"I was just voting in my best interests" is the civilian version of "I was just following orders". While it's understandable, that doesn't mean I have to offer unconditional forgiveness. I'm always going to remember their hand was on the switch.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mirthless posted:

There was an alternative

Clinton's attempt at playing female idpol was so lovely it didn't even work on women

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zikan posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/politics/their-leadership-lean-democrats-turn-an-eye-to-rebuilding.html?_r=0

his profile on his think tank bio literally has this as the first line sounds like a winner imo

also purge the party imo

lol he's claiming responsibility for dukakis in a tank? every other dukakis campaign aide said dukakis just really wanted to listen to the running commentary the tank crew was providing hence the stupid loving helmet since it had a crew headset in it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

lmao wapo is now shilling for bernie. gently caress everyone at that paper

eagerly looking forward to capeheart's article shilling for bruce rappaport

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mirthless posted:

If you voted for Trump you hate women, the disabled, and minorities, period, full stop, sorry

You also hate gays and the transgendered

Sorry! Don't vote for a literal white supremacist and rapist calling for active genocide next time! Your own self centered bullshit reasons for voting don't Trump the fact that Trump ran on the platform he did

I dont think a majority of trump voters hate me, I just think they dont give a poo poo about me. This isnt news to me though, and it shouldnt be news to you.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Slugnoid posted:

Bernie wouldn't have won. biden was probably the only dem who could have done it

"I have learned nothing from Trump's unprecedented and meteoric rise"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also lol i guess lowtax has made his toxx decision finally

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Mirthless posted:

"I was just voting in my best interests" is the civilian version of "I was just following orders". While it's understandable, that doesn't mean I have to offer unconditional forgiveness. I'm always going to remember their hand was on the switch.

That and you'll also accuse people of voting for/supporting Trump, but never did.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Mirthless posted:

There was an alternative

you are so loving close but you can't get there

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

bruce rappaport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3LE15AyT5g

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Mirthless posted:

Cool, yes, this is a thing we should do, but it does not turn back time and change the fact that Donald Trump is a racist and white supremacist who ran on a genocide platform and got elected

Whether or not that was their reason is irrelevant; It does not change who they voted for and what the impact of that vote is going to have on minorities and women

Blaming and punishing people for their ignorance is a great strategy!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mirthless posted:

It also didn't turn back time on the fact that the dead gay Democratic Party gave up on getting any voters. Hard to expect people to vote for an "alternative" that didn't even bother to ask for your vote and left you in the ditch.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mister Fister posted:

That and you'll also accuse people of voting for/supporting Trump, but never did.

Man MF if you didn't vote for Trump I'm sorry but it's not like you weren't one of the most consistently violently anti-minority anti-woman bernouts in the group

I mean there's a lot of Trump supporters out there who have legitimately never done anything racist in their life (prior to tuesday night, anyway) but whether or not you are one of Trump's supporters you are not one of those people so I don't know why you're being coy about it now

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Mirthless posted:

Well, and I could be mistaken, but I assume the point of this thread is making sure something like that doesn't happen again.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also lol i guess lowtax has made his toxx decision finally

Awww, i asked for clemency for Zikan in the QCS thread

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
"Incrementalism is dead."

For the past year or so I've been sharing articles on Facebook and pairing this phrase with them as I thought it applied. My family and my circle of friends are lower middle class whites from Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. (I've also got some Europeans on there from studying abroad.) Of that circle of friends/family, probably half were gonna vote R no matter what. The other half were absolutely galvanized by Bernie, myself included.

Oct. 1:

quote:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/298812-clinton-criticizes-sanders-fans-in-leaked-audio
HRC, I'm actually surprised at how level-headed your criticism comes off.

But I respectfully disagree. Incrementalism is dead.

Sept. 15:

quote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/marcia-ranglin-vassell-ousts-majority-leader-squeaker_us_57d98678e4b0fbd4b7bcd122
"The progressive victories against more conservative Democratic incumbents represent the kind of local, incremental gain many activists believe exemplifies the less romantic work needed to achieve the “political revolution” Sanders called for during his campaign.

“Voters are clearly hungry for bold progressive policy,” Georgia Hollister Isman, the Working Families Party’s Rhode Island state director, said in a statement. “These victories send a clear message to the legislature — it is time for some big changes.” "
I say again: incrementalism is dead.

Aug. 4:

July 27:

"Incrementalism is dead" as a phrase seems to drop off here but I can see the theme obviously crystallizing as I scroll backward in time on my Facebook wall.

July 25:

quote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/obamas-attempt-to-redeem-america/492710/
"It is simply not intellectually creditable anymore to ignore distributive questions."

June 10:

May 2:

quote:

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/02/476202372/taking-it-to-the-limit-cruz-sanders-or-kasich-might-still-revive-convention-wars
Very telling that Hubert Humphrey's civil rights plank speech in 1948 is not present in this article. The Minnesotan famously said, "To those who say that this civil rights program is an infringement on states’ rights, I say this: The time has arrived in America for the Democratic Party to get out of the shadow of states' rights and to walk forthrightly into the bright sunshine of human rights." In response, the Mississippi and Alabama delegates walked out of the convention and formed their own party for president, the Dixiecrats. Truman still won thanks to high minority voter turnout in the northern states. Historians have argued that Hubert Humphrey did more to get Harry S Truman elected that year than Truman did himself.

Heck if I know why, but NPR is firmly and unabashedly in the Clinton camp.

March 16:

quote:

http://louderwithcrowder.com/dear-men-who-vote-bernie-sanders-youre-wimpy-and-gross/
This is anti-intellectualism defined. This is well-crafted argument from someone out of a mafia movie. This is, as Tom Hanks said in reply to the question "what is your favorite curse word" on the TV program Inside The Actors' Studio, horse poo poo.
This one spawned a long chain of comments with my friends (both die-hard Rs and Bernie supporters) basically agreeing with me. My ex-girlfriend even commented "Maybe she's trying to become the female Matt Walsh?" lol

March 4:

quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/minnesota?smid=fb-share
We did our part! More Minnesota votes went to Bernie Sanders than went to all the Republican candidates *combined*

March 2:

quote:

Surely Sen. Elizabeth Warren will be rewarded by the Democratic establishment for staying on the sidelines and not endorsing Bernie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/debbie-wasserman-schultz-paylenders-cfpb_us_56d4ce38e4b03260bf77e8fc

oh...

Bonus articles!
Sept. 30:

quote:

http://thebaffler.com/blog/hrc-should-be-more-like-malkmus
"...he was blessed with enough talent and discipline to make everything look easy, which turned him into an icon for twenty-somethings who assumed the internet bubble would last forever and that they could always get a real job next week if their band somehow didn’t manage to get signed to Sub Pop or Matador."

Lmao

July 20 (reminder this is our vice president-elect):

fake edit: Previewing this post and looking at the most recent posts, idk who this mirthless guy is, but he's wrong about "Berniebros" voting for Trump. I ended up voting HRC and so did most of my Bernie friends. I doubt any of my R friends even voted; they were very much Charlie Sykes-style conservatives.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Mirthless posted:

Man MF if you didn't vote for Trump I'm sorry but it's not like you weren't one of the most consistently violently anti-minority anti-woman bernouts in the group

I mean there's a lot of Trump supporters out there who have legitimately never done anything racist in their life (prior to tuesday night, anyway) but whether or not you are one of Trump's supporters you are not one of those people so I don't know why you're being coy about it now

So, i'm not a Trump voter, but now you're going to pivot to that? I'm a POC, but i'm sure you're going to pivot to me being a self hating POC now.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Say it with me folks: Having voted for Trump doesn't make you a bad person.

Having voted against Trump doesn't make you a good person.

Defining people you don't know by their vote is loving stupid.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NumberLast posted:

Say it with me folks: Having voted for Trump doesn't make you a bad person.

Having voted against Trump doesn't make you a good person.

Defining people you don't know by their vote is loving stupid.

I will need some peer reviewed research on that

Let me check DnD

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Regardless of Hillary bad or DNC bad it would be amazing if D's had the kind of loving discipline the Rs do in showing up to vote.

I mean they literally ran an overt racist possibly insane person and got almost exactly the same numbers as the last two cycles.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Awww, i asked for clemency for Zikan in the QCS thread

i never back down from a promise!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

mrmcd posted:

Regardless of Hillary bad or DNC bad it would be amazing if D's had the kind of loving discipline the Rs do in showing up to vote.

the dems would win every single election then

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

I will need some peer reviewed research on that

Let me check DnD

:magical::stonk::stare::catstare::staredog:

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Typo posted:

the dems would win every single election then

I have good news: it's happened before with the New Deal coalition and the demographic makeup for something like that is stronger than ever before.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

mrmcd posted:

I mean they literally ran an overt racist possibly insane person and got almost exactly the same numbers as the last two cycles.

This might be as simple has having the vast majority of your base in cities.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mrmcd posted:

It's pretty incredible that they get people to turn out year after year. It helps that they actually have a media apparatus. "Center-left" media like MSNBC are way more interested in appearing impartial to stave off that "liberal media" criticism than they are in actually spinning a narrative.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Mirthless posted:

It's pretty incredible that they get people to turn out year after year. It helps that they actually have a media apparatus. "Center-left" media like MSNBC are way more interested in appearing impartial to stave off that "liberal media" criticism than they are in actually spinning a narrative.

MSNBC isn't left all though. I mean some of the anchors want to be, but the bosses clearly aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zikan posted:

also purge the party imo

Third Way has been a terrible tragedy for democrats but you also have to swear allegiance to it if you want to get nominated. It's the secret handshake.
When Democrats swept into the House and Senate in 2006, it was largely thanks to blue dog Democrats like Heath Shuler -yes, this Heath Shuler

who immediately cozied up to K-Street. I really don't know what the new model for the next wave needs to be or how we get there.

tadashi has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Nov 10, 2016

• Locked thread