Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Well, GBS and /pol have invaded D&D.

What in the actual gently caress happened with white people?

They're mostly bernouts who just appeared out of nowhere to spike the football after losing the game.

The rest are edgelord contrarians who just want to shitpost in a safe space since D&D doesn't have a lot of moderators.

It's calmed down a lot today compared to what it was yesterday, though.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

WampaLord posted:

It didn't just happen, it was a process spanning three or more centuries, and it's proof that the parable of the racist tree only works if you can hold a lid on it for a long drat time.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Butts posted:

I reported a shitload of people yesterday. I only know of one who was probated and it was for all of one day.

Yeah, I burned out my report limit yesterday, and it looks like I'll probably do the same today after I get home from going to town. Maybe even before I leave, really.

Also last night I got into an argument with my parents, including outright calling them racist, leading to the second time in about a month that my dad's made vague threats towards me because of "the way I talk to him". So that's fun.

Edit: Hell yes, my first redtext. I'll wear it with pride. (Though I'll also miss Reynardine; I've had him for like five years I think.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 10, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Hell yes, my first redtext. I'll wear it with pride. (Though I'll also miss Reynardine; I've had him for like five years I think.)

Pretty good red text imo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I missed the coddling discussion because I've been on one long post-election bender, but in late response to some of the thoughts, here is a cross-post from a Facebook status I made the day after the election to call out my white friends:

me posted:

Minorities and gay people and other oppressed groups have been telling straight white liberals how bad it was for years. We asked you to confront your bigoted friends and family directly, to ostracize them, to risk ruining relationships and friendships to help make the world a better place for us. "No," you said, "we'll just be nice to them and hope they change over time." "They are good people inside, they are nice to me, so they will be good when it all counts." You thought we were being dramatic and irrational and that a nice, lovey, non confrontational route that made you not have to deal with a taste of the feeling of loss we feel our entire lives was the best way, while we stood alone confronting them ourselves.

So, now we see where your route left us. You kept your relationships and avoided strife and they felt safe in their views, and here we are. I'm brown; this country does not like me, nothing I say or do matters - I have no real voice or way to change how people think. It's up to you guys now. What are you going to do now?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

WampaLord posted:

They've always been like this but now they're emboldened (even further)?
:shrug:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

The Black Dinosaur Herbivore Thread: I Voted Giant Meteor What The gently caress Is This poo poo?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Black creatives? Black film nerds? Black Didius Falco fans?

It's hard to remember being any of these things or liking anything at all. :smith: What could possibly matter now?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Darko posted:

I missed the coddling discussion because I've been on one long post-election bender, but in late response to some of the thoughts, here is a cross-post from a Facebook status I made the day after the election to call out my white friends:

Stealing this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WampaLord posted:

Taking bets on how much longer before the white progressives after being exiled from the New USPOL thread by GBS and /pol/ to come here and gentrify the poo poo out of Negrotown.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm going to say it again, nothing happened with white people, no sudden comforting change that absolves us from confronting the fact that MLK is still right about the white moderate who may hold some decent views but when the chips are down would rather hear of no evil or see no evil happen than stop evil from being done.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dexo posted:

Taking bets on how much longer before the white progressives after being exiled from the New USPOL thread by GBS and /pol/ to come here and gentrify the poo poo out of Negrotown.

This thread has such cool, interesting discussions. Anyone want to talk about problems that affect white people? (I'm gonna keep my distance from that negromancer guy, he seems 'sketchy')

:smith:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

drat white people are: crazy as all hell

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This thread has such cool, interesting discussions. Anyone want to talk about problems that affect white people? (I'm gonna keep my distance from that negromancer guy, he seems 'sketchy')

:smith:

I'm super sketchy!

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to, and I'm hoping someone reading this will be able to give me some kind of answer.

I'm pretty White. Like many Americans, I've got some blood from a lot of different groups, some of them pretty far-flung and non-White (Mexican, Tunisian, Egyptian, Turkish, Iranian, Chinese, plus like five more White people groups), but when Americans look at me they see a White person. I grew up in the suburbs in Connecticut, one of the Whitest parts in one of the Whitest states, and I didn't see my first Black person until I was eight years old. My family are all either blue-collar or middle class liberals, who only occasionally say vaguely racist things ("Kaepernick is only protesting now because he's dating a soul sistah that he wants to impress," "Well I think all lives matter," et cetera) that I try and call out as lovely things to say whenever I can.

I got bit by the Leftism bug more or less since I became politically aware, for a bunch of different reasons, but I'll be the first to admit that it started out as a way to rebel against the people around me without having to become a dick. A bunch of the decisions I've made in my life, I made because I wanted to be a Black person, only without the suffering and discrimination. Generally I did this through petty personal means like adopting stereotypes. I listen to a lot of hip-hop, of both the "socially conscious" and less-so varieties (they're not as far apart as one might think, but that's irrelevant for now), I smoke Newports, I converted to Islam, I befriended a great deal of Black people and people of other kinds of minority statues, and I patronize a great deal of Black and Latino-owned businesses whenever possible. When I started out doing all these things, it was to be Black. Now I do them because I like them, because they make my life better, and, I believe, make the world a better place.

The last couple of days have brought on me a great deal of despair, as I watch my country and the world become worse places for a great deal of people I care about, either personally or in theory from having never met. I haven't got a ton of power. I'm a poor college graduate going into a job that isn't going to line my pockets with enough money to affect great change, but I do what I can. I voted against Trump in both the primaries (Kasich, I'm technically a registered Republican but only because I thought it'd be the funniest thing to be registered as) and the general election (Clinton), not that it made a difference in my solidly Democratic state. I've spent the past day apologizing to a bunch of people that I've talked poo poo to, mostly Black people that I'd called variations on Oreo, because there is no one way to be Black and the cops won't care that you have an opinion on Superman versus Goku when they're gunning you down. Beyond that, I'm currently at a loss.

This election has reinforced a long-held belief of mine that there is no inevitable march of progress towards justice and equality. Every victory is hard fought, and plenty of hard fighting goes nowhere in the end. Still, America got through Reagan, even if his specter lingers to this day. I'm not looking for some loving ally award, and I definitely deserve to be reamed out for a bunch of valid reasons, but I want to know what I can do, going forward, to make the world a better place for those people, and by extension everyone else. I want to die in an America that I don't hate.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

so we're seeing a rise in hate crimes

And that's extremely bad!

i think it will eventually die down as white america remembers that their guy won, and they should be happy

but then I think things are going to get really bad when those manufacturing jobs don't come back (because they were never coming back), and trump stumbles around for a perfidious "other" to blame his failures on. I think that'll be when things get really bad. So...let's say 2018.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dexo posted:

Since it looks like the Hillary toxxers are getting banned anyway, I give it about 12 hours. Sorry for you guys getting run out of D&D so soon after the relative success of the Misogynoir thread made it look like it might actually be alright. poo poo sucks :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody's been run out yet. I hope anyone here who gets toxx-banned re-regs.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zelder posted:

so we're seeing a rise in hate crimes

And that's extremely bad!

i think it will eventually die down as white america remembers that their guy won, and they should be happy

but then I think things are going to get really bad when those manufacturing jobs don't come back (because they were never coming back), and trump stumbles around for a perfidious "other" to blame his failures on. I think that'll be when things get really bad. So...let's say 2018.

What no. Their guy won, which means their long national nightmare of minorities being alive is coming to an end. Things have gotten worse and they are going to stay worse. You WMs all think no one could ever really be that bad, that everyone's a good person deep down. They agree, but they (and you) don't tally hatred of minorities on their moral scorecards. They want us dead and they're going to get it.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nobody's been run out yet. I hope anyone here who gets toxx-banned re-regs.

"Nobody's been run out"? Dude we're posting in a literal black poster ghetto

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also hahaha I got like 5 phone calls from family members about me hurting the feelings of my white aunt and her husband, with them making appeals to me possibly losing my job by how much I was bashing white people and specifically white women yesterday on facebook.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

tiny brontosaurus if you call me a white dude one more loving time i swear to god

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zelder posted:

tiny brontosaurus if you call me a white dude one more loving time i swear to god

quit posting like one then idk.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i'm trying to talk about how i'm scared for my future via the rise of hate crimes in america and you say that i'm posting like a white guy

okay.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zelder posted:

i'm trying to talk about how i'm scared for my future via the rise of hate crimes in america and you say that i'm posting like a white guy

okay.

Dude, I don't keep a list. I have avs off, I don't remember most forums names. People are always posting at me like I should remember them and I mostly don't, I'm sorry. Unless you're exceptionally memorable, good or bad, all I ever have to go on is the post right in front of me. You think white people will get less hate-crimey because they won and I don't. That's okay.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Zelder posted:

okay.

Gonna need to pass a simple purity test...

http://www.thedailymeal.com/cook/why-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-so-much-better-baked

Do you agree with the thesis of this article?

Complete the following line.

"Quarter Brick, Half a Brick, Whole Brick, _______"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Okay I get that but we can both agree that it's hosed up to use the phrase "don't post like a white guy", whatever that means.

Like there are some ugly rear end implications in that statement.

And I don't even think people will get less hate crimes, I said they'd level out and then get way worse

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Cool

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 10, 2016

Yesterdays Piss
Nov 8, 2009

It sort of bothers me how many Canadians have been talking up our country like it's some sort of utopia against racism. A lot of minorities I know are just as scared to leave the house. Lots of people here are wondering why their fellow countrymen are freaking out over an election they say doesn't concern them, but the implications of Trump's win aren't just contained to the U.S.; bigots across the globe are seeing this as a symbolic win for their cause. I'm doubly scared that the one's here may also read into Trudeau's assertion that he and Trump have "shared values" as a tacit approval of bigotry. I get that he had to be diplomatic, but that part felt way beyond unecessary.

No matter how many pictures of smiling minorities Immigration Canada posts on it's Twitter feed, First Nation women are still being disproportionately murdered in our country. I still get followed around in stores, I'm still assumed to be a prostitute because of my skin tone, and I'm still denied employment opportunities for reasons I suspect are racist (applying somewhere with a help wanted sign and being told the position is no longer available despite the sign staying there for two more weeks). The nazi party in my ridding got 12% of the votes in the last provincial elections, and that's while the main party is already vocally anti-immigration. When 9/11 happened, two men cornered and beat a Portuguese girl to death because they thought she was Arab. The situation in the U.S. is definitely much worse, but Canada needs to take a good hard look at itself if it doesn't want to become another country that gets swept up in what seems to be a rise of extreme right ideology across the globe.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Mandingo posted:

Hello black friends! As a progressive white guy who was raised in the south and enjoys black southern culture, how can I enjoy it in a way that best shows respect and avoids being accused of cultural appropriation?

What's up with your username

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What's up with your username

He may have posted in the same thread I did before I got mod-renamed to the name I have now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Mandingo posted:

Hello black friends! As a progressive white guy who was raised in the south and enjoys black southern culture, how can I enjoy it in a way that best shows respect and avoids being accused of cultural appropriation?

Don't name yourself a term with such loaded racist history.

Don't make introductory posts about how much you love black southern culture, while your name shows you obviously don't give a drat about the people who created that culture you love so much.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

He may have posted in the same thread I did before I got mod-renamed to the name I have now.
Nope, he wasn't one of them.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I'm so white nurses have complimented me on how easy it is for them to find a vein and I just want to say I love this thread and the posters in it. My partner is an American Latina sociologist and my experience is limited to spending my childhood in a country where I was a visible minority. Having to develop a whole new understanding when we started dating was a struggle and this thread helps me learn and understand things I didn't previously.

Thanks for posting and I'll go back to the lurker's corner now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wasn't around for the Primary, were white sanders dudes talking about how identity politics and race are unimportant and the only thing that matters is economics back then.

Cause drat they sure want to throw us under the bus real quick nowadays.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Okay

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 10, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember a while ago there was a thread on having friends with differing "political opinions" and a lot of people said you're basically some ideological-purity obsessed rear end in a top hat if you de-friend people just because they have some terrible views that don't affect you. Like "my best friend is a red-piller but I'm not a woman and he's totally fine to play video games with so we just don't bring it up" or "my girlfriend is pretty racist but we live in an almost entirely white area so it doesn't effect me or anyone"

People then kept changing the goal posts for what a "political opinion is" and were saying a persons "politics" has absolutely no relation to their ethics. It's totally fine to not be friends with someone if they have horrible ethics that directly affect you, but if they just have horrible "politics" you can't really judge them because my uncle is a really good guy and not racist and has a gay son but always votes republican it's just politics don't be some D&D rear end in a top hat and take politics seriously. I mean I guess it's ok to not be friends if someone is a real outspoken racist, but just because they're a life long straight ticket republican voter doesn't mean they're racist, they just have *conservative values* and can totally be good people. Even then, yeah it's crappy to make racist jokes but if you're not black why would you stop being their friend, that's an overreaction! Also all bets are off if they are family, you can never call family out or hang out with them less even if they're raving racists or homophobes or sexists.

Basically, comfortable white folks don't want to deal with any "drama" in their lives over purely intellectual matters that don't effect them in any way.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I wasn't around for the Primary, were white sanders dudes talking about how identity politics and race are unimportant and the only thing that matters is economics back then.

Yep.

Baronjutter posted:

Basically, comfortable white folks don't want to deal with any "drama" in their lives over purely intellectual matters that don't effect them in any way.

Yep.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

a couple of my friends are dealing with blowback to taking that kind of stance
i've been trying to encourage them to stick to their guns

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

When will this country heal?
:qqsay:

Basic sentiment today from middle and upper-middle income whites. loving sad.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Sharkopath posted:

Oh yeah, and it was driving me insane. I'm on the OurRevolution list specifically with the intent of showing up to events and confronting that narrative.

We have two fake "progressive" camps bawling their eyes out right now, one of which is writing off white rural voters as unredeemable racists, and one of which thinks putting any emphasis on race and attacking white supremacy is "too divisive." Both are loving stupid.

The oppressive results are identical because the noisy virulent jackasses will set the policy, but there is a difference between people who hate minorities and people who don't give a poo poo about minorities, and it's the reason there is still hope for activism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So many people define good personhood as "kind to their friends and family." Yeah duh, everyone but a monster does that. How you treat strangers is the test.

• Locked thread