Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Womyn Capote posted:

Evil will always win, because good is dumb

Well Hilary lost by being dumb so this emphatically does not check out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I don't mean like she's a nobel prize laureate who should know better; I mean if you're a rational person and you have a media platform that you can leverage to try and accomplish goals that you personally believe in, you might want to figure out how to do so without stomping all over your own dick. if you're only there to entertain people that's cool, but you can still do that in a way that doesn't gently caress up stuff you might actually want accomplished.

california is a bastion of smug retards who live in their own echo chamber,

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So, now that gun control as a national issue is completely dead, can liberals/Democratic pols finally, mercifully, give it the gently caress up? 50% of my extended family is rural and liberal, and nearly all of them voted Trump based on gun control.

they'll never give it up because city elites love gun control and they have the money

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm looking at trying to get involved in some of my state's caucuses and local Dem office, is that the right way to go? I literally have no idea what I'm doing, but having a random idiot show up couldn't hurt I figure

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Typo posted:

lol Sam B will be why the dems are gonna keep losing

"white males are the enemy"

welp why are we losing by alienating the most reliable voter demographic?

I think the problem is less that Sam B, John Oliver, etc. alienate certain demographics and more that they create a very complacent, insular worldview among liberals. And that complacent, insular worldview ended up being the hallmark of the Clinton campaign.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fullhouse posted:

same reason thousands of people went out last night to stand in their cities and protest, and tons of people shared big long Facebook posts calling the entire country a white supremacist racist hateland: makes them feel better about themselves without having to do any of the hard parts of effecting change

Did you just call protesting an easy

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Typo posted:

no because the democrats are idiots and probably don't understand you can just pass gun control laws in blue states and if the red states wants to shoot at each other so be it

Except they can't do that because those gun control laws get challenged in court by republican lobbying groups or blocked by the national party

If states were allowed to decide their own gun control policies and if people were allowed to get legal recourse for gun crime there would be less of a push for it to happen at the national level in the first place.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pomp posted:

protesting with no goals except "I'm really mad!" serves absolutely no purpose except to make you look like a baby

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mirthless posted:

Except they can't do that because those gun control laws get challenged in court by republican lobbying groups or blocked by the national party

If states were allowed to decide their own gun control policies and if people were allowed to get legal recourse for gun crime there would be less of a push for it to happen at the national level in the first place.

I feel like gun control is a lost issue and we just have to accept that many, many people will die unnecessarily and things will only get worse (due to never being successful and losing votes over it) if we try to stop it

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

She better get her rear end in gear tbh

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Fiction posted:

She better get her rear end in gear tbh

Warren: TPP is dead hurray

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pomp posted:

Meaningless protest is super easy.

Good protesting is hard, largely because it requires a lot of organization and negotiation and a lot of politicking during the protest, but uh, that's not the sort of protests we're talking about, which is currently "spend a few hours shouting and waving signs and then go on with your life as normal".

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Oh that was quick

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marty-rudoy/dear-bernie-or-busters-co_b_12892318.html

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i guess the most frustrating thing that this election proved is that you aren't going to get meaningful social reform that will have any real longevity if you don't get the buy-in of white men.

all of the incremental progress that different minority groups have made is likely to get wiped clean off the slate because the people with the privilege to actually determine the course of our culture didn't like feeling like their privilege was going to be reduced

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lemming posted:

I feel like gun control is a lost issue and we just have to accept that many, many people will die unnecessarily and things will only get worse (due to never being successful and losing votes over it) if we try to stop it

yeah I don't really disagree, though I'm still frustrated about it. :\

We might get gun control eventually in this country but it probably won't happen until one of these 3%er militias takes over a town and kills a couple of dozen cops

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Typo posted:

no because the democrats are idiots and probably don't understand you can just pass gun control laws in blue states and if the red states wants to shoot at each other so be it

Yeah, its cool how all the guns ravaging the south side of chicago come from a red state that's allowed to shoot at other red states.

Gun control doesnt work unless it's uniform across all states.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

slower than anticipated

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i guess the most frustrating thing that this election proved is that you aren't going to get meaningful social reform that will have any real longevity if you don't get the buy-in of white men.

all of the incremental progress that different minority groups have made is likely to get wiped clean off the slate because the people with the privilege to actually determine the course of our culture didn't like feeling like their privilege was going to be reduced

Getting the buy-in of white women would have been enough, too, but we didn't do that either. You definitely got to get the buy in of white people of some sort, though, yeah, that's sort of a "no duh" situation, especially when you aren't exactly running with 100% non-white support.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
After Bernie lost the primary i stopped paying much attention to the race. I might have cared enough to phonebank for a candidate who actually gave a poo poo. Oh well, I didn't do anything more than vote, and if trump had stayed with his early promise of universal healthcare I would have voted for him.

I am not an atypical case, the Dems would do well to realize that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Womyn Capote posted:

Evil will always win, because good is dumb

Liberalism isn't good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

this is deliciously salty.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

this is it. this is the best tweet about the election

https://twitter.com/audiosprite/status/796463167970783232

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

sanders has made his first move for progressives to take over the dnc. keith ellison is the co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus which is basically then anti-third way/clinton faction of the party

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/11/10/sanders-decries-working-class-vote-for-trump

quote:

Bernie Sanders is leaving open the possibility of another presidential bid, saying in a Thursday interview that he wants to focus on helping the party rebuild its base after Donald Trump's victory.

"Four years is a long time from now," said the 75-year-old Vermont senator, noting that he faces re-election to the Senate in 2018. But he added: "We'll take one thing at a time, but I'm not ruling out anything."

Sanders gave voice to the frustration among many liberals in the aftermath of Trump's stunning triumph over Hillary Clinton. He told The Associated Press in a phone interview that millions of working-class voters' decision to back Trump was "an embarrassment" to the party and that Democrats must take a strong stand against the role of corporate interests in politics.

"It is an embarrassment, I think, to the entire of Democratic Party that millions of white working-class people decided to vote for Mr. Trump, which suggests that the Democratic message of standing up for working people no longer holds much sway among workers in this country," Sanders said.

The Vermont senator declined to criticize his primary rival, Hillary Clinton, attributing Tuesday's election loss to a "lack of enthusiasm" among Democrats. "People just did not come out to vote," he said.

He said he would support Rep. Keith Ellison of Minnesota to become the next chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

Sanders endorsed Clinton after their lengthy primary and campaigned extensively for her. He said she's had "an exemplary political career. She has served the public for many, many decades and has broken many barriers," adding that "she deserves an enormous amount of credit. She worked extraordinarily hard in this campaign."

But he said the party as a whole was unable to make a strong enough case to struggling workers, particularly in the industrial Midwest, who sided with Trump.

"You cannot be a party which on one hand says we're in favor of working people, we're in favor of the needs of young people but we don't quite have the courage to take on Wall Street and the billionaire class. People do not believe that. You've got to decide which side you're on."

While he said he was hopeful he would be able to work with the incoming Trump administration, he made clear that would not be likely.

"I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow," Sanders said of the president-elect.

Sanders said he had not yet considered whether to seek a leadership position within the Senate Democratic caucus and was expected to become the top Democrat on either the Budget Committee or another post. But he said he would seek to mobilize Democrats to help the party rebuild.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Peel posted:

The LAT poll was still well off, though to its credit no more off than the others in the final analysis.

I think Nate Silver called it 'still one of the least accurate polls' so not really.

Peel posted:

I don't think it was a mistake to trust the consensus of polling and try for important bonuses like propositions. We know the polling was systematically wrong now, but going with your gut feeling over what reputable polls tell you will burn you more often than not. Bill Mitchell was lucky, not insightful.

The problem was aiming for electoral votes in landslide states at the cost of maintaining your firewall in case of a polling error, because bonus electoral votes don't actually get you anything.

I think the fundamental, core thing which hurt Hillary's campaign the most is exemplified by people talking about how trusting the data and the experts was a dumb decision. Experts aren't allowed to get anything wrong. The moment they do, they get turned on-and often unjustly. If Clinton had won in a landslide there would be a lot of smug threads about 'shook Nate' the same way now there's a lot of threads about how people got boned by Sam Wang. It's why we had "the people have had enough of experts" even when their track record had a lot more hits than misses compared to gut instinct.

But this can't be fixed, not easily. Whereas creating a concerted effort to make people understand class as well as race can be fixed. I think it's something to keep in mind though.

NumberLast posted:

It seems to be, because a lot of the people that are natural allies to a socially, economically progressive party are rural whites that voted Trump. And some people can't get over their themselves enough to reach out to those people.

I think a lot of them are angry right now and are going to need some time to get over it. I know I did. As a minority, I can sympathize with the view that rural whites threw us under the bus. I still feel like they did, even when I know they didn't vote because gently caress minorities, they voted because a pretty-sounding lie was better than vague murmurs.

Maybe if the media wasn't so hosed, it wouldn't be like this, because a normal candidate could expect the media would discuss her policies and compare it to the other guy's so she didn't need more than vague statements. But the media was hosed, and so here we are.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

I think the problem is less that Sam B, John Oliver, etc. alienate certain demographics and more that they create a very complacent, insular worldview among liberals. And that complacent, insular worldview ended up being the hallmark of the Clinton campaign.

Yeah it's really not them but literally everyone who loving goes on facebook or tumblr next day and says "WATCH SamB and John Oliver DESTROY XYZ"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Incrementalism was always absolutely loving retarded, and anybody who claims it's realistic should never be taken seriously ever again.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I hate our dumb weak liberalism.

nopants
May 29, 2004
bernie knew.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

You can think that this sucks or not but it is empirical loving fact - yep, you still need white guys to win an election, like

Whether it is fair or not the perceived tone and message coming from vocal fringe groups associated with "The Left" is deliberately exclusionary - to undereducated and/or poor folks what stake do you have in someone's loving identity politics? What exposure do you have to Black Lives Matter on anything other than an abstract level? Minorities and minority interests didn't cost the Dems the election, nominating a loving terrible candidate and then letting her allow those rural/undereducated white people to believe she didn't care about them cost the Dems the election

Again, Trump's exit polling numbers are catastrophically low, people didn't vote for the guy because they like him, Wisconsin polled at overwhelming disapproval and Trump still won that state

I don't believe that the 63% of our country that's white people is just a bunch of hateful bigots, but I do believe that a large number of those people will cut their nose to spite their faces and a Trump vote is the ultimate expression of that - the perception that Hillary cared more about courting "coastal elites" and empowering women/minorities than she did about, say, making sure that Randall in Michigan saw some actual economic progress became the reality

Like how can rational people still seem to think that the answer to the Dems problems is to double down on "boy howdy gently caress white people, what a bunch of assholes, I shouldn't need the buy-in of 63% of our country to get elected and accomplish the goals of my platform"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

:lol: I just checked Clara Jeffery's twitter and goddamn she's burying her head in the sand pretty deep.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Throw another thing on the pile of "stuff that Robby Mook's GOTV supercomputer missed by a mile"

https://twitter.com/RoundSqrCupola/status/796768978303647744

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Freaking Crumbum posted:

turns out telling poor people they are privileged and therefor can get hosed pisses them off.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

FYI, I can say with nearly 100% certainty that this is happening right now because the DNC is practically begging the AFL-CIO to not abandon them going forward.

The AFL-CIO and all of the major labor unions in this country are strongly considering dropping their de-facto support of the DNC every election. We spent an absolutely insane amount of money this election alone on GOTV operations for D candidates nationwide... money we could have used to hire several thousand organizers and ran issue based/local referendum campaigns in all 50 states.

There's very much a mindset of "what, exactly, have we gotten the past ~30 years from the Democratic party? they take our support for granted."

A lot of people in the labor movement consider Obama not going to Wisconsin during the Walker stuff nearly as damaging to our cause as Reagan and the Air Traffic Controllers.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

FYI, I can say with nearly 100% certainty that this is happening right now because the DNC is practically begging the AFL-CIO to not abandon them going forward.

The AFL-CIO and all of the major labor unions in this country are strongly considering dropping their de-facto support of the DNC every election. We spent an absolutely insane amount of money this election alone on GOTV operations for D candidates nationwide... money we could have used to hire several thousand organizers and ran issue based/local referendum campaigns in all 50 states.

There's very much a mindset of "what, exactly, have we gotten the past ~30 years from the Democratic party? they take our support for granted."

A lot of people in the labor movement consider Obama not going to Wisconsin during the Walker stuff nearly as damaging to our cause as Reagan and the Air Traffic Controllers.

they should have done this 16 years ago

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

There's a lot to digest here, and I hope that the next generation of DNC leadership realizes that.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Zikan posted:

sanders has made his first move for progressives to take over the dnc. keith ellison is the co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus which is basically then anti-third way/clinton faction of the party

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/11/10/sanders-decries-working-class-vote-for-trump

:bernin:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zikan posted:

Bernie really can't run at 79, that's loving nuts, but otherwise I am 100% on board with this

I am completely done with the neoliberal wing of the party and I regret ever buying into that poo poo

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

HannibalBarca posted:

There's a lot to digest here, and I hope that the next generation of DNC leadership realizes that.

Are we allowed to Bernie thread style shitpost because I already posted it but the Bernie running gif applies here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Karl Barks posted:

they should have done this 16 years ago

yep. a big reason is because after Clinton's presidency ended, a huge amount of ex-Clinton folk went to work for the AFL and other unions, like the SEIU and AFSCME.

Way too incestuous. Most of these people know literally nothing about unions and really pushed hard to just rubber-stamp every single thing the DNC does.

• Locked thread