Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like, handwringing about loving guns in the middle of the biggest live performance of the Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui when minorities are saying they're scared enough to say gently caress it and arm up might not be the smartest thing, no matter how illiberal you think it is.

Purity tests and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The democratic party from top to bottom is responsible for this. They're bad at winning elections, the only reason we've had the presidency for these eight years is 1) Bush was Bush and 2) Obama's generationally unique charisma and savvy. The first step in fixing the problems we just elected is a complete shake down of the DNC

Again, Dems lost the vote because people didn't believe in them, and because the DNC never spoke to them or actually cared. We're about to see a new system of who-versus-who.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Tatsuta Age posted:

Out of the "ten women you know", statistically, somewhere between 4 and 6 of them voted for Trump, by the by.

Yeah, but that doesn't fit into my narrative of a singular group that I can freely attack without worry that someone could say something nasty to me in return

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

HorseRenoir posted:

gently caress this. don't pretend like white dem voters had no agency in any of this. they knew what was at stake and what would happen to minorities if trump got elected, and they just didn't care. that's it.

You misunderstand me, I'm including the voters in that blanket condemnation.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Terrific Accident posted:

You seriously come off like a crazy person. Please do not buy a gun for the love of god.

You are the product of a racist educational system that didn't teach you about things like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Tulsa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Summer

http://withoutsanctuary.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylann_Roof

And forget this is part of the America that was "Great" that they would like to return to.

Squashing Machine posted:

And you're a paranoid fanatic who throws accusations essentially at random and selectively dismisses real evidence in favor of something that makes you feel good. Guns will not save you.

There's real evidence for you above.

But continue telling black people how to react to a threat you will never face.

How progressive of you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The blame rests with the DNC and the Clinton campaign, who failed hilariously at doing the barest of work to get those people out to the polls.

The only explanation that makes sense is that voting against something in absence of some choice perceived as positive just plain isn't enough to get people to go to the polls.

All the anti-Trump ads only convinced people that this election doesn't deserve their time. Which has horrible consequences, but is an insight into sociology that can't be overlooked.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tatsuta Age posted:

Can't wait to see the Art of the Deal on this one!

Simple. Move the embassy to Jerusalem, but also make a new embassy in Ramallah. Everybody wins, everybody's happy.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

chumbler posted:

Yes, nonviters bear no responsibility at all. Clearly it is the party's fault.

It's the party's job to convince people that voting is worth time in transit and in line. It's what we donate money for and hire expensive professionals to do. They failed at their only job.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Agnosticnixie posted:

Like, handwringing about loving guns in the middle of the biggest live performance of the Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui when minorities are saying they're scared enough to say gently caress it and arm up might not be the smartest thing, no matter how illiberal you think it is.

No its okay if we get lynched to further their talking points when sitting down at dinner with their deplorable racist relatives they refuse to call out.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Simple. Move the embassy to Jerusalem, but also make a new embassy in Ramallah. Everybody wins, everybody's happy.

OIC wants Jerusalem to be Palestine's capital

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Agnosticnixie posted:

That is one thing I desperately hope the upcoming purge of the Democratic Party allows. Driving out the ancient corpses lurking in the DNP who feel it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE to endlessly tilt at the gun control windmill no matter the costs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's the party's job to convince people that voting is worth time in transit and in line. It's what we donate money for and hire expensive professionals to do. They failed at their only job.

It is the voters' job to exercise their god damned right to vote. It isn't the party's job to hold their hand while they do it. Trump won, and it is in large part non-voters' fault. Period.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shadokin posted:

Over 1 million less Republican votes the 2012. Little over 5000 less then 2008. Democrats over 9 million votes since 2008.

Why? Why did so many people who votes democrat in previous 8 years not voting this year? Republicans lost votes too but no where near the scale of Democrats. THAT is the problem. That is what needs answered.

HRC was a terrible loving candidate and liberals convinced themselves she wasn't and then spent 16 months screaming at and shouting down anyone who pointed this out

if you want to blame someone blame the party elites who decided January 20 2013 Hillary would be the nominee and then pressured everyone else out of the race except for the millenial pied piper from brooklyn

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 10, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

negromancer posted:

No its okay if we get lynched to further their talking points when sitting down at dinner with their deplorable racist relatives they refuse to call out.

Reposting for emphasis

Panzeh posted:

Guns in the hands of the proletariat are good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

OIC wants Jerusalem to be Palestine's capital

Even easier, make the Jerusalem embassy a duplex, Palestinians get one half.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chumbler posted:

Yes, nonviters bear no responsibility at all. Clearly it is the party's fault.

I mean, we have known that people don't turn up unless you tell them for ages. Sure, the non-voters will have to live with the conscience of contributing to this, but the leadership royally hosed up in their primary role to lead people to the polls. I think there's a subtle line between responsibility and guilt.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

negromancer posted:

You are the product of a racist educational system that didn't teach you about things like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Tulsa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Summer

http://withoutsanctuary.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylann_Roof

And forget this is part of the America that was "Great" that they would like to return to.

There's real evidence for you above.

But continue telling black people how to react to a threat you will never face.

How progressive of you.

All of these examples happened before the rise of the militarized police, or are objectively indistinguishable to declaring that you would have personally stopped the Sandy Hook massacre or the attempted assassination of Gabby Giffords. It is "good guy with a gun" rhetoric wrapped in a tarp.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

gently caress this. don't pretend like white dem voters had no agency in any of this. they knew what was at stake and what would happen to minorities if trump got elected, and they just didn't care. that's it.

You realize it was also minority voters that also stayed home right?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

All of these examples happened before the rise of the militarized police, or are objectively indistinguishable to declaring that you would have personally stopped the Sandy Hook massacre or the attempted assassination of Gabby Giffords. It is "good guy with a gun" rhetoric wrapped in a tarp.

A key facet you seem to missing here is that armed resistance against state violence is actually good

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

The white supremacists can't and shouldn't be helped. gently caress 'em. However, regardless of whether you want to admit it or not, white supremacists are not the reason Trump is president, he's president in spite of them. The democrats have to become the American Labour party if they want to survive in any capacity beyond minority opposition. We can build a party that's racially inclusive, respects women, and genuinely advocates for the working class. These things are not mutually exclusive. Slapfighting about who's last racist is not going to help anything. Let's talk about organizing or communities instead maybe? Be the change you wanna see?

How does this work when the other party will just change to what you said plus more and by the way, <a racism>. Trump just made poo poo up to garner votes from white people and also engaged in racism, boasted about sexual assault and called one of his accusers ugly, claimed he would nuke the terrorists and turn NATO into a protection racket, and so on. And 50% of voters still voted for him. What policy proposals are better than fantasy? Maybe we should play realpolitik and throw racial, gender and sexual minorities under the bus to get back into power, but what proposals do you use when your opponent is saying he'll start trade wars? I don't agree with playing realpolitik in this case, but I can't even figure out how it could be done even if I wanted to.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

negromancer posted:

What makes you think this isn't happening?

I've called out family and coworkers in one on one and group settings. Repeatedly.

I've tried to explain some historical events and the long and unending oppression in terms White people can understand.

I don't think a single one spent a single second reflecting on this. The most common response is laughter. They often don't believe it's that big of an issue because The perceived SJW nonsense.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

A key facet you seem to missing here is that armed resistance against state violence is actually good

And that state controls weapons that no number of citizens with conventional firearms would ever stand a chance against.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Communism posted:

That is one thing I desperately hope the upcoming purge of the Democratic Party allows. Driving out the ancient corpses lurking in the DNP who feel it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE to endlessly tilt at the gun control windmill no matter the costs.

Ancient corpses such as black lives matter

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Grognan posted:

Can we just blame "Democrats?"

I'm a Democrat, I voted...and I still feel like I hosed up somehow.

I mean, the obvious party for blame here is the loving Trumpists, but that's pointless. They'll get their's once they lose health insurance and their jobs. When they turn to blame the Democrats...oh shocker, there aren't any.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I wouldn't want to be living in a red/red/red state right now. Will there by further exodus from these states to urban centres in blue states?

Also the GOP didn't win, the DNC lost. It's an important distinction.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh I agree, but frankly? I think the answer is simple rank misogyny, and so do 9/10s of the women I know personally. People suddenly found that concerns about corruption and collusion were of the utmost loving importance when it was Clinton on the ballot, whereas anyone else can be far worse and have it overlooked.

you and your friends are idiots

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

fadam posted:

voting for their own best interests.

an assumption that has little bearing in reality

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Blame doesn't have to go to a single person or entity, folks. There's a lot to spread around.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

You misunderstand me, I'm including the voters in that blanket condemnation.

my point is that eventually the buck has to stop with the voters. you can blame the DNC all you want but at the end of the day, a majority of white Dem voters saw what was coming and who would be affected, and decided they didn't care enough to fill out a single bubble on a sheet of paper.

the most devastating thing about this election to me is the feeling that truly no one gives a poo poo about me, not even so-called "allies" who are so wishy-washy with their support that they can let white supremacy take over the country and not even bat an eye

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dylann Roof happened last year, fuckface.

And you called black people being afraid of racial violence a "paranoid delusion", when there's plenty of evidence otherwise.

No one is pushing a "good guy with a gun" narrative.

We're pushing the "I want to be able to prevent being dragged out of my home and lynched" narrative.

Grognan posted:

If by stayed home you mean "were not able to vote due to voter ID laws and voter suppression", then yes.

Everyone trying their damnedest not to blame the 50+ million terrible loving white people. It's like Cirque du Soleil up in here.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The democratic party from top to bottom is responsible for this. They're bad at winning elections, the only reason we've had the presidency for these eight years is 1) Bush was Bush and 2) Obama's generationally unique charisma and savvy. The first step in fixing the problems we just elected is a complete shake down of the DNC

There are literally tens of millions of registered Democrats to choose from and Obama was, rather famously, a political neophyte with a thin resume (much like our current President-Elect) so if you want another Obama the pool of potential candidates isn't even limited on that front. It would be absolutely trivial to find a similarly charismatic, savvy Democrat to bring large swaths of the country together and mobilize the millions to get out and vote if that was an actual priority for the DNC, but it wasn't. It was Her Turn, and that was the end of the matter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chumbler posted:

It is the voters' job to exercise their god damned right to vote. It isn't the party's job to hold their hand while they do it. Trump won, and it is in large part non-voters' fault. Period.

People are naturally passive when it comes to politics. The GOP knows this, and their agents keep their voters constantly mobilized. Their party gets how things work. Hillary couldn't be bothered to do anything really to get her supporters out there. You can talk about the moral guilt of the non-voters in permitting Trump's victory, but the structural issue of why it technically happened is the DNC.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

chumbler posted:

Turns out a lot of democrats don't give a poo poo about trying to maintain social progress.

Nah, I think it's just a lot of people don't like being ostracized

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

negromancer posted:

Dylann Roof happened last year, fuckface.

And you called black people being afraid of racial violence a "paranoid delusion", when there's plenty of evidence otherwise.

No one is pushing a "good guy with a gun" narrative.

We're pushing the "I want to be able to prevent being dragged out of my home and lynched" narrative.

Yeah, and Dylann Roof falls under my "or" category. But keep on throwing out random insults, it's definitely helping your case.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

HorseRenoir posted:

my point is that eventually the buck has to stop with the voters. you can blame the DNC all you want but at the end of the day, a majority of white Dem voters saw what was coming and who would be affected, and decided they didn't care enough to fill out a single bubble on a sheet of paper.

the most devastating thing about this election to me is the feeling that truly no one gives a poo poo about me, not even so-called "allies" who are so wishy-washy with their support that they can let white supremacy take over the country and not even bat an eye

Because they know at the end of the day its a win-win and they don't really care enough about minorities to make the slimmest of sacrifices, like standing in line for a bit and voting.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Your analogies aren't even close. We have evidence of it working in the past, and working in the present by other, actual violent organizations that are hostile to the police.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

MickeyFinn posted:

How does this work when the other party will just change to what you said plus more and by the way, <a racism>. Trump just made poo poo up to garner votes from white people and also engaged in racism, boasted about sexual assault and called one of his accusers ugly, claimed he would nuke the terrorists and turn NATO into a protection racket, and so on. And 50% of voters still voted for him. What policy proposals are better than fantasy? Maybe we should play realpolitik and throw racial, gender and sexual minorities under the bus to get back into power, but what proposals do you use when your opponent is saying he'll start trade wars? I don't agree with playing realpolitik in this case, but I can't even figure out how it could be done even if I wanted to.

I genuinely don't know either man I'm just trying to stay positive about the future because we glimpsed the void and it swallowed us loving whole. We either figure out how to combat this stuff or we live in a Kafka-esque nightmare for the next decade.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

My Linux Rig posted:

Nah, I think it's just a lot of people don't like being ostracized

but enough about people voting against Trump

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You can't win on just saying the other guy is bad. If Hillary had Obama's numbers (or even 90% of them) she would have won. The issue is that at a certain point voting out of obligation isn't going to work because just enough people will stay home to swing it and we are seeing the fruits of that attitude today.

People that threw minorities under the bus are bad and bear that shame but the party is an organization that exists to get votes. It's their job to get people there otherwise why even have them? They should have been doing a better job in the Rust Belt instead of wasting time in the south in a fit of hubris where Hillary thought she would wipe out Trump in a Reagan-esque wave. That part is on them.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It would be absolutely trivial to find a similarly charismatic, savvy Democrat to bring large swaths of the country together and mobilize the millions to get out and vote if that was an actual priority for the DNC, but it wasn't. It was Her Turn, and that was the end of the matter.

So you're mad the DNC didn't rig the primary harder?

• Locked thread