Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been happy with this T-Fal electric kettle: https://amzn.com/B0086UJQN8

Not sure if there's a smaller capacity one if size is an issue. It's not too big as it is.

Casu Marzu posted:

Awesome, this looks good. Gonna try it out.

I, my boss, and my parents can all attest to this same kettle being great for the price. It's also quite easy to clean!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
At the risk of sounding dumb, what kind of cleaning would it need? Aren't electric kettles only for boiling water?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

At the risk of sounding dumb, what kind of cleaning would it need? Aren't electric kettles only for boiling water?

I have hard water where I live, so I very quickly get a large amount of mineral buildup.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

nocal posted:

I have hard water where I live, so I very quickly get a large amount of mineral buildup.

Exactly this, and even with not-hard-water you're not getting pure H2O--it adds up if you use the thing daily. I've owned the kettle for three years now.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Any recommendations for a decent but not too expensive dashcam? Preferably something I can buy from amazon.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I have a Mobius dashcam and am very happy with it. I've been using it for two years without any problems other than replacing the battery with a super capacitor. I think it was around $70 plus $10 for the super capacitor.

There is also a dashcam thread where can get some other opinions.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

Biscuit Joiner has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Nov 8, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Can anyone recommend a lotion or something for the backs of my hands? They get terribly dry in the winter and the only thing that seems to work is petroleum jelly, which is very gross.

After many years of switching from one product to the next and always being let down I've come across Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion Fragrance Free. Seems to be the best combination of staying on the skin without being greasy and yucky.

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Nov 9, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You could also try some climbers balm.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

You could also try some climbers balm.

bag balm is the original climbers balm

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I have a Mobius dashcam and am very happy with it. I've been using it for two years without any problems other than replacing the battery with a super capacitor. I think it was around $70 plus $10 for the super capacitor.

There is also a dashcam thread where can get some other opinions.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

Thanks, will check it out

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ArmZ posted:

For some reason I always equate this to something for your scrote

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Casu Marzu posted:

Just put it in your fanny pack.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

an udder is kind of like a scrotum I guess

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm looking for a light softshell jacket with a simple design and no obvious logo - preferably hoodless or with a hood that can hide in the collar. I tend to layer with a jumper in Autumn so it doesn't have to be super warm. Let's say the budget is around $120.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
A large ant hill has popped up in my yard. What is the recommended pest control solution for them, preferably that I can purchase on Amazon.

couldcareless has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Nov 11, 2016

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I have no recommendations for an ampersand infestation.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

couldcareless posted:

A large and hill has popped up in my yard. What is the recommended pest control solution for them, preferably that I can purchase on Amazon.

Molten aluminum...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ArmZ posted:

I though it was this stuff?

https://www.originaludderbalm.com/

Chas McGill posted:

I'm looking for a light softshell jacket with a simple design and no obvious logo - preferably hoodless or with a hood that can hide in the collar. I tend to layer with a jumper in Autumn so it doesn't have to be super warm. Let's say the budget is around $120.

I can't specifically help, but start checking outdoorsy deal sites like steepncheap, the clymb, places like that. I have been able to find high end gear for like half MSRP pretty often at these places. If you can bump your budget closer to $200 your choices will open up a ton. It seems like the more high end you go the less prominent the labels are. I have an awesome hoodie from black diamond that only has a small black on black logo on the hem, maybe look at their stuff?

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Nov 11, 2016

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Eponine posted:

I have no recommendations for an ampersand infestation.

Damnit phone posting.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

Damnit phone posting.

I've found traditional over the counter ant killer to be effective if you've located the hill.

You can either get the spray bottles, or the little droplets that'll kill the queen, thus driving the nest extinct.

You can also try to pour boiling water down it but that usually doesn't kill the queen.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

couldcareless posted:

A large ant hill has popped up in my yard. What is the recommended pest control solution for them, preferably that I can purchase on Amazon.

A large stock pot full of boiling water should do the trick unless the ant hill is huge. Do it a couple times.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
I am looking for a lightweight cordless vacuum for use on carpet. Biggest issue is it needs to be able to pick up hair. Dog hair but also my hair which is long (I think I shed more than my dog.) I'd like to stay under $150 if possible. Any suggestions?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Comatoast posted:

A large stock pot full of boiling water should do the trick unless the ant hill is huge. Do it a couple times.

Or aluminum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI

edit: missed that one somehow, sorry

Grassy Knowles has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Nov 12, 2016

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

:sadwave: look 6 posts up...

You even used the exact same video link.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

couldcareless posted:

Fire ants? gently caress those things.

Martin's Surrender fire ant control to treat the mound, and a longer lasting fipronil granule bait to slowly kill the survivors.

The first will nuke the mound in 24-48 hours, the second prevents larval growth so the colony eventually dies out. Without the slower acting poison, there's a chance the mound will just relocate. FYI the Surrender stuff smells awful, so find some airtight storage.

The boiling water thing is satisfying since you'll see some dead ants, but it likely will not kill the queen and it will definitely kill your grass.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Can someone please recommend me wireless headphones with an inbuilt microphone to use on my PC for £60-£70 :bigtran:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

plain blue jacket posted:

Can someone please recommend me wireless headphones with an inbuilt microphone to use on my PC for £60-£70 :bigtran:

I dunno what they cost in pounds but check out the Logitech H800

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

signalnoise posted:

I dunno what they cost in pounds but check out the Logitech H800

Exactly what I'm looking for although a bit over budget. Sound quality decent?

Edit: I'm going on amazon U.K. Prices

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Exactly what I'm looking for although a bit over budget. Sound quality decent?

Edit: I'm going on amazon U.K. Prices

The sound quality is good but they're not super cans or anything. Most of the quality is in the microphone, which is crystal clear. I use them for work. They are comfortable after hours of continuous use, they do the job of providing you decent audio quality while blocking out not too much of outside noise. But I run a standalone AC unit in my office and people on the other end can't hear it.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

signalnoise posted:

The sound quality is good but they're not super cans or anything. Most of the quality is in the microphone, which is crystal clear. I use them for work. They are comfortable after hours of continuous use, they do the job of providing you decent audio quality while blocking out not too much of outside noise. But I run a standalone AC unit in my office and people on the other end can't hear it.

I'm looking for something for my sperglord gaming but I'll keep them in mind :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm looking for something for my sperglord gaming but I'll keep them in mind :)

Well, there's the Logitech G930s, they're comfortable and have a good mic and have good sound, but the problem with having really good headphone drivers in a wireless headset is that the battery life is poo poo. The H800s give you clear voice and good enough audio. I mean, I use them for gaming too. G930s have actually good audio quality but you might as well buy a wired headset.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Taking suggestions for a soldering iron suitable for a beginner who wants to learn the basics of circuitry and do little LED projects like this:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Van Dis posted:

Taking suggestions for a soldering iron suitable for a beginner who wants to learn the basics of circuitry and do little LED projects like this:

Budget?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Inexpensive, but not dangerously so.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Well, I'm not a huge soldering nerd but I would say aim for about 15 on the soldering iron, but you'll need desoldering braid or something also. Soldering is not just done with the iron and some solder, you gotta be prepared when you make a mistake if you're learning. I'll let someone more experienced weigh in though. Personally I like butane soldering irons because I can control the temperature and I never have to worry about a cable, but if you want cheap, you'll be looking for what is essentially a woodburning kit.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Weller or Hakko soldering irons are both really good. I limped along with a piece of poo poo $20 iron for a while but bought a Weller WES51 about a year ago and it was a huge improvement so if you can afford ~$90 for a iron you should go that route.

Edit: actually, I have the WESD51 but the WES51 is still a great choice. If that's too expensive though the Weller WLC100 is <$40 and will still be a big step up from the $20 irons that plug straight into the wall and don't have variable temp control.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Nov 14, 2016

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I have done a lot of soldering over the years, and the iron I own for personal use is a cheap $20 one. They're definitely fine if you know what you're doing but may not be so great for learning.

But in my opinion, far more important than the soldering iron itself is the solder you get. The lead-free solder is a million times harder to use than the leaded stuff. I've felt really bad for the people I've seen struggling to learn with lead-free solder.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

signalnoise posted:

Well, there's the Logitech G930s, they're comfortable and have a good mic and have good sound, but the problem with having really good headphone drivers in a wireless headset is that the battery life is poo poo. The H800s give you clear voice and good enough audio. I mean, I use them for gaming too. G930s have actually good audio quality but you might as well buy a wired headset.

On your advice I'm going for the h800. Thanks for the help :nsa:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Just wanted to express my love for Patagonia backpacks.
If you happen to have a Patagonia storefront near you, check in on their clearance rack periodically because they seem to shuffle good things through.

I formally had a disdain for those huge puffy jackets, but I happened to score a nano puff hoodie %50 off and there's something uniquely nice about the light weight feels and wind proofing versus a normal cotton hoodie.

Thanks for the help :nsa:

:shittypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Computer Serf posted:

I formally had a disdain for those huge puffy jackets, but I happened to score a nano puff hoodie %50 off and there's something uniquely nice about the light weight feels and wind proofing versus a normal cotton hoodie.

If you need something lightweight and wind resistant, I recommend the Ike windshirt by Chrome.