Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

gently caress ACA, gently caress public option, gently caress mandates, gently caress subsidies. That poo poo is completely bust. Full single payer is what we should go after, if the GOP mercifully kills ACA.

agreed, but also, millions of people will lose insurance and thousands will probably die unnecessarily in the interim period following the repeal of the ACA and our ultimate, shining success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neeksy posted:

Dear god is the DNC going to try and push for Cory Booker to be their next guy? Please no.

He is not going to be the next DNC chair. But I would worry about him because he's ~charming~

gently caress ACA, gently caress public option, gently caress mandates, gently caress subsidies. That poo poo is completely bust. Full single payer is what we should go after, if the GOP mercifully kills ACA.

Frances/Netherland type system is probably our best bet IMO since with the entirety of the ACA gone it's going to be a "build from the ground up" situation.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Cool, Maddow burying her head in the sand and blaming Russia. Sweet.

Her work during the primary was shameful.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Lastgirl posted:

That is actually a good suggestion, I will talk to the mods about that too!

Please do take care of your mental health, it's just as important as physical health!

e: Ed Balls

wait is c spam not sticking around? that'd be a shame, because d&d is bad these days, and c spam is good.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Maybe I'll just keep quoting my post every 10 pages because you god drat idiots keep missing the lesson of this election.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Zikan posted:

you gotta remember that for the white working class vote, obama portrayed himself in 2012 as saving the auto industry (i.e. thousands of jobs in the rust belt) vs. a chariticure of gordan geeko / i.e. economic populism vs a technocrat

imagine if hillary had invested in ads like this one from the steelworkers instead of "Trump's crazy lol" *ukalele & glockenspiel music*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oxlTfqYk0

This is a good post.

Also these are good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKeYbEOSqYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3jWJVsErc&t=454s

Also votes aren't a zero sum game you dumb turds. You want to appeal to what used to be the white working class and to minorities at the same time? "The Democratic Party fights for social and economic justice for All Americans. We'll fight like hell for black and hispanic citizens who face legal and social discrimination every moment of their lives, and we'll fight like hell to bring opportunity back to rural Americans who saw their jobs shipped overseas so some rear end in a top hat's efficiency numbers could tick up"

What can Democrats offer rural Americans in towns where the only factory closed down 10 years ago? Stop loving talking about nebulous job retraining and college programs for one. Put some god drat jobs back in these towns. Build a government plant that assembles windmills with the goal of covering the county with windmills over the next 20 years. Build a government plant that makes solar panels, train up local people to install them, and have a goal to cover every roof in the area with free solar panels over the next 20 years. Build a government research lab, or maybe a government clinic that offers free healthcare to the county. Hire people from the local state colleges to be the researchers or doctors, and give all the procurement, HR, security, janitorial, accounting, and other support jobs to local people.

I came up with that in like 2 minutes. Take literally any liberal priority and build *something* in these areas that supports those priorities. Right now these people see that the Democratic Party has turned their backs on them. We waver between ignoring them and sneering at them. So they look at the GOP who says "Dunno how to fix that, but I swear those idiots caused it and I promise to punch 'em in the nose for ya!" These voters pick revenge because their poo poo already fell apart and it's either revenge or nothing at all. We can easily offer a better path forward for them.

And I know people are saying "but but but if this subsection of our base turned out we'd have won!" Who gives a poo poo? Here's a massive chunk of the voting population that is loving begging for a political party to offer them real solutions. We can offer those solutions completely within the realm of things we currently want to do. Why the gently caress wouldn't we want to do that?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

You know this would be MORE attractive to everyone right? Well except for insurance companies, and therein lies the rub.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

this large parsnip, it gets it :trumppop:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Warren on Maddow is coming on next. This should be interesting after he knee bent so fast she broke the floor.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

What can Democrats offer rural Americans in towns where the only factory closed down 10 years ago? Stop loving talking about nebulous job retraining and college programs for one. Put some god drat jobs back in these towns. Build a government plant that assembles windmills with the goal of covering the county with windmills over the next 20 years. Build a government plant that makes solar panels, train up local people to install them, and have a goal to cover every roof in the area with free solar panels over the next 20 years. Build a government research lab, or maybe a government clinic that offers free healthcare to the county. Hire people from the local state colleges to be the researchers or doctors, and give all the procurement, HR, security, janitorial, accounting, and other support jobs to local people.

Michael Moore is an idiot if he thinks the solution to the death of rural America is propping it up with building factories. Bring back the CCC and put these people to work fixing our crumbling infrastructure. Offers ways to get these people a better life instead of dooming them to lovely factory work forever.

https://twitter.com/griph/status/796539192721506304

The amount of jobs lost to going overseas is going to be trivial compared to what automation will do. We already manufacture more than we ever have; it's just done with robots.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Let me loving quote the meat of it again to make sure you idiot fuckers actually read it and maybe, just loving maybe learn something from this election.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Votes aren't a zero sum game you dumb turds. You want to appeal to what used to be the white working class and to minorities at the same time? "The Democratic Party fights for social and economic justice for All Americans. We'll fight like hell for black and hispanic citizens who face legal and social discrimination every moment of their lives, and we'll fight like hell to bring opportunity back to rural Americans who saw their jobs shipped overseas so some rear end in a top hat's efficiency numbers could tick up"

I came up with that in like 2 minutes. Take literally any liberal priority and build *something* in these areas that supports those priorities. Right now these people see that the Democratic Party has turned their backs on them. We waver between ignoring them and sneering at them. So they look at the GOP who says "Dunno how to fix that, but I swear those idiots caused it and I promise to punch 'em in the nose for ya!" These voters pick revenge because their poo poo already fell apart and it's either revenge or nothing at all. We can easily offer a better path forward for them.

And I know people are saying "but but but if this subsection of our base turned out we'd have won!" Who gives a poo poo? Here's a massive chunk of the voting population that is loving begging for a political party to offer them real solutions. We can offer those solutions completely within the realm of things we currently want to do. Why the gently caress wouldn't we want to do that?

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Venom Snake posted:

Michael Moore is an idiot if he thinks the solution to the death of rural America is propping it up with building factories. Bring back the CCC and put these people to work fixing our crumbling infrastructure. Offers ways to get these people a better life instead of dooming them to lovely factory work forever.

The amount of jobs lost to going overseas is going to be trivial compared to what automation will do. We already manufacture more than we ever have; it's just done with robots.

This makes me happy :unsmith:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Venom Snake posted:

Look at what I posted. This can be modified to be literally anything any loving liberal could possibly want. Just loving build it in these areas and bring jobs to these people.

"Take poo poo you want to see happen and build it in places where people are desperate for jobs" shouldn't be a loving breakthrough in liberal politics, but I guess here we loving are.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

This is my plan here in MN; I doubt we'll see a large enough majority in the U.S. House and Senate to get this pushed through there in 40 years.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

LmaoTheKid posted:

Warren on Maddow is coming on next. This should be interesting after he knee bent so fast she broke the floor.

its just her AFL-CIO speech again

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

squidgee posted:

wait is c spam not sticking around? that'd be a shame, because d&d is bad these days, and c spam is good.

It will be sticking around, there will be new rules and guidelines.

Hilario Baldness posted:

Democratic Party Autopsy Thread: Et tu, Rust Belt?

I dig this~ :beerpal:

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Let me loving quote the meat of it again to make sure you idiot fuckers actually read it and maybe, just loving maybe learn something from this election.

Sounds like COMMUNISM to me, you might want to think rethink how the country bumpkins think about COMMUNISM

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

RACHET posted:

Sounds like COMMUNISM to me, you might want to think rethink how the country bumpkins think about COMMUNISM

I heard Tennessee was very interested in that sort of thing.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

no

noo

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

http://nypost.com/2016/11/10/chelsea-clinton-being-groomed-to-run-for-congress/

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously it pisses me off when people suggest that we should lust for the days of when people died of ruined lungs and asbestos poisoning (but everyone had a job right?). We need to give these people a chance to enjoy the prosperity that others are getting to enjoy. Guaranteed minimum income. Programs to resettle people stuck in dead rural towns. Rebuilding of infrastructure. Bring them into the 21st Century; don't doom them to living in the 20th century forever.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lomarf

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Venom Snake posted:

Hey also wanna point this out: saying poo poo like "dooming them to factory work forever" when these millions of citizens were able to put food on the table and support their families with their factory labor is degrading as gently caress and is exactly why they think you don't give a single poo poo about them. It also happens to be why they just voted for a loving kamikaze president in the hopes he blows your poo poo the gently caress up.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i remember in the rural America thread in D&D someone's idea to save these people is to relocate the rural America population to megacities like in judge dreed. it may be a joke but knowing how out of touch neoliberals are, it may be someone being honest.

this was the 2nd idea i heard on D&D that week that involved relocating poor white people.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Cyron posted:

i remember in the rural America someone idea to save these people is to relocate the rural America to megacities like in judge dreed. it may be a joke but knowing how out of touch neoliberals are, it may be someone being honest.

this was the 2nd idea i heard on D&D that week that involved relocating poor white people.

thats exactly the plan, relocate them back to the new deal democratic party :getin:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7wCK41gqMU&t=32s

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Can't wait to help primary her lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RACHET posted:

they like it as long as it benefits them directly and you label it literally anything else tbh

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The CCC being restarted alone would be loving huge. And like the original CCC, you could pay them with two nickels to rub together as long as the housing and food and certifications from training are free too

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnlRrxXv-v8

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Look at what I posted. This can be modified to be literally anything any loving liberal could possibly want. Just loving build it in these areas and bring jobs to these people.

"Take poo poo you want to see happen and build it in places where people are desperate for jobs" shouldn't be a loving breakthrough in liberal politics, but I guess here we loving are.

Agreed. I bet we could get a lot of people a lot of jobs laying fiber nationwide to every city of at least 5,000 people; for reference that's 4,566 cities in the U.S.; if you want to go further, make that part of a locally run utility: municipal internet access. Now you've got an excuse to maintain a staff that can go out to do home and business installs, do repairs, handle calls; they could even branch out into hosting servers locally.

This is poo poo people could be running on to move our country into the future technologically while also creating jobs that don't suck absolute rear end and making communities better.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:lol:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Hey also wanna point this out: saying poo poo like "dooming them to factory work forever" when these millions of citizens were able to put food on the table and support their families with their factory labor is degrading as gently caress and is exactly why they think you don't give a single poo poo about them. It also happens to be why they just voted for a loving kamikaze president in the hopes he blows your poo poo the gently caress up.

Dude factory work is not kind to your body. It's not degrading to say we shouldn't be forcing people to ruin their health. There are plenty of ways we can help them that aren't trying to turn back the clock to pre-automation times. Part of the anger they feel comes from the fact that they know they are eating poo poo compared to how others are living and it pisses them off hence kamikaze president.

If she gets the dems +1 seat in congress it will actually be useful. I won't complain until she starts trying to ruin other peoples time.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

LmaoTheKid posted:

Cool, Maddow burying her head in the sand and blaming Russia. Sweet.

Is Chris Hayes cool? I liked him but stopped following MSNBC around 2013, and the occasional tweet of his that I see makes him seem alright

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

if you want cool you go to chris mathews

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

If she gets the dems +1 seat in congress it will actually be useful. I won't complain until she starts trying to ruin other peoples time.

never mind the Democrats aren't going to learn anything

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Venom Snake posted:

Seriously it pisses me off when people suggest that we should lust for the days of when people died of ruined lungs and asbestos poisoning (but everyone had a job right?). We need to give these people a chance to enjoy the prosperity that others are getting to enjoy. Guaranteed minimum income. Programs to resettle people stuck in dead rural towns. Rebuilding of infrastructure. Bring them into the 21st Century; don't doom them to living in the 20th century forever.

loving really? Government run plants to build solar panels and windmills, or government run research labs and local clinics are gonna be asbestos filled hellholes? That's your loving retort to the federal government giving shat on poor people jobs?

These people don't want a slightly larger check to spend at Walmart #7918. They want a job they feel proud of, and they want to spend their paychecks at local businesses. Liberals have a giant list of things they want done from climate change action to research to improved healthcare. So why the gently caress shouldn't we slap a giant government facility into every one of these desperate counties to make massive amounts of jobs and do some loving good for mankind at the same time?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Grondoth posted:

I'm sure this is a delicate topic for you, and it's one of the places where these things get tricky and where words like privilege start to matter, because I've never been scared to talk to the most rural of the rural cause I'm a white dude with a big beard and a nice car, but I don't think that everyone out in the sticks hates you personally.

I talked with a Trump voter today about this, in our local community college there's actually a lot of women in hijabs and abayas. I expressed my worry that Trump's election could signal to them that they're not wanted here, that they aren't really a part of America. She was horrified at the prospect that her vote signaled that, she never wanted to send that signal and wouldn't have ever wanted to indicate that she didn't think those people, some of whom she's classmates with, belong here.

How did she not think Trump's election wouldn't signal this? I donno, but I think it's for the same reason a lot of us were blindsided by how seriously people took the populist part of Trump's campaign. We weren't listening for it. Deporting all muslims? She didn't take that seriously, and didn't think that anyone else did. Just like we didn't think anyone took Trump's pledge to bring back manufacturing seriously.

I honestly don't believe that everyone out in the boonies is as hateful as we fear. I honestly don't think the world is as hateful as we fear it is. Rural people are people just like everyone else. They laugh and love and make mistakes and make wrong assumptions. They get caught up in fear and hate and disappointment just like everyone does. They're lonely and ashamed and angry and just want the world to be a place they're happy with.

Again, I've never had to be afraid. So I know this sounds like I'm talking out my rear end at you. But I genuinely believe that rural whites even in the middle of goddamn nowhere don't actually hate you as much as you might think. They, after all, are just people. No one is a monster. We're just all human beings.

I see where you are coming from and I really want to agree with you.

But when people say, hang black mannequins from their trees on Halloween while simultaneously supporting Trump, that paints a certain picture for me.

I am willing to believe though, that good people out there made a mistake simply because they did not take Trump seriously on half of what he said but liked the other half where it seemed he was speaking directly to them.

This is something that is possible and even likely to me. How else did part of Obama's coalition vote for Trump?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

she will absolutely ruin other peoples time because she is a clinton

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyron posted:

i remember in the rural America thread in D&D someone's idea to save these people is to relocate the rural America population to megacities like in judge dreed. it may be a joke but knowing how out of touch neoliberals are, it may be someone being honest.

Offering people the ability to resettle because their town is quite literally dead is a good idea IMO. Iv driven through places in Southern VA that look like a loving fallout game.

Larry Parrish posted:

The CCC being restarted alone would be loving huge. And like the original CCC, you could pay them with two nickels to rub together as long as the housing and food and certifications from training are free too

A civil service program that offered military like benefits for doing work projects would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Vox Nihili posted:

agreed, but also, millions of people will lose insurance and thousands will probably die unnecessarily in the interim period following the repeal of the ACA and our ultimate, shining success

well it's too late now because the aca is going to die. it sucks but all we can do it try and get universal health care in the future.

• Locked thread