Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Random Stranger posted:

Let me throw this question out there: what's the most cheerful game you can think of to go back and play? Not for nostalgia, but actually cheerful gaming?

For me it's Katamari Damacy. You can't be sad while you're rolling things up.

Yoshi's Island.

You can't be anything but happy when you have this playing in the background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQq4hla0xo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Yoshi's Island.

You can't be anything but happy when you have this playing in the background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQq4hla0xo

There's something missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qkrKTAOv2M

Ah, there it is!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Let me throw this question out there: what's the most cheerful game you can think of to go back and play? Not for nostalgia, but actually cheerful gaming?

Recettear is pretty addictive and cheery, at least once you figure out that there's no real lose condition and running out of money just starts a new gameplay loop.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There is something else missing here...

https://youtu.be/nLYcrGLv_C0

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does anyone here have BIRD WEEK?

I almost bought it at a hard off but it was boxed and too expensive. i still want to own it, for some reason

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that there were a couple of Japanese games that were obscenely rare on that level as well, but it's a sweet find.

chrono trigger, city connection, pac-land

e: any choro-q game

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I do! I like it too. Its weird and gets kind of hard but it definitely is kind of addicting once you give yourself over to its charms.

As for cheery games I'm going to start world of final fantasy, which is a new game obviously but looks adorable and nostalgic which is what I need right now

Edit if you don't want something new any given Dragon Quest is probably the ticket. They're all cute and optimistic

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

d0s posted:

city connection

This is such an underappreciated game, and it's really distinctively weird even by the standards of '80s arcade games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

d0s posted:

city connection
e: any choro-q game

Rollersnake posted:

This is such an underappreciated game, and it's really distinctively weird even by the standards of '80s arcade games.

I like 1st stage's tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxk4m2Efk-0

:siren:Look out! Cat!! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjo9zsYLp80&t=11s

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

city connection

This is a downright cheerful game and also very nostalgic for me. It's one of the first games I ever played. We had a bootleg version of it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm just happy you guys are heaping love on a good game. City Connection is one of my favorites from Jaleco.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just thought of another one, Spanky's Quest for the SNES. Fruit enemies and funky rear end music.

https://youtu.be/YLu1ZPbxj04

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Most of the Outrun games, but especially 2/2006 because those vocal songs are just the best.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

re city connection if any of you guys have only played it on a NES load up the arcade version in MAME, it's great

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

I'm just happy you guys are heaping love on a good game. City Connection is one of my favorites from Jaleco.

I feel like the odd person out for not really liking City Connection. Not that I hate it, just that it combines the pattern filling game play with the channeled platformer in a way that doesn't really... well.. connect with me .

Also, it doesn't help that my brain always conflates it with Bump 'n Jump even though those are two very different games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like the odd person out for not really liking City Connection. Not that I hate it, just that it combines the pattern filling game play with the channeled platformer in a way that doesn't really... well.. connect with me .

Also, it doesn't help that my brain always conflates it with Bump 'n Jump even though those are two very different games.

do you know how to control jumps? I see a lot of first timers playing the game by just tapping the jump button instead of holding it with a direction to more easily reach high platforms and move around more effortlessly, makes the game a lot more fun, though it's still a "golden age" game and for a lot of people just not very interesting/worth the effort (I don't really care for a lot of those games myself)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Flicky's better.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Random Stranger posted:

I thought that there were a couple of Japanese games that were obscenely rare on that level as well, but it's a sweet find.

Final Lap Twin

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I just played Earth Defense Force 2017 for the first time and found it pretty cathartic.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

re city connection if any of you guys have only played it on a NES load up the arcade version in MAME, it's great

Oh wow, I never realized there was a different version.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

City Connection is cool but I also like small, cute cartoon cars. The cover is all my favorite aesthetics of 80s comedy manga.

ChoroQ is also cool.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

I have a copy around here somewhere, came with a random lot of Famicom stuff I got off E-Bay years ago

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

azurite posted:

I just played Earth Defense Force 2017 for the first time and found it pretty cathartic.

Just wait until you get some of the good weapons that send ants flying into the sun

EDF
EDF
EDF

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A friend from out of town came to visit over the weekend and brought his copy of Cybernator for SNES. I had never played it, and I had no idea that game was so ridiculous/awesome, and now I want to try and get a copy for myself.

He and I also did some co-op Mechwarrior 3050, which actually requires true cooperation since both players are controlling the same mech. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Xenomrph posted:

A friend from out of town came to visit over the weekend and brought his copy of Cybernator for SNES. I had never played it, and I had no idea that game was so ridiculous/awesome, and now I want to try and get a copy for myself.

Cybernator is part of a larger series called Assault Suits, so there are several games out there that'll scratch the same itch:

-Assault Suits Leynos is the first game in the series and was released for Genesis as Target Earth; it's much less refined and very difficult but it's not a bad game. There's also a modern remake that came out this year for PC and PS4 (on disc!) for $20 or so - it's low-budget 2D but it plays very much like Cybernator.

-Assault Suit Valken aka Cybernator - it's cool, it's on Wii & Wii U Virtual Console and there's also a (not great) PS2 port

-Assault Suits Leynos 2 is a Japan-only Saturn game; it has a detailed customisation system and a few impressive setpieces but most of the stages are quite bland, I feel.

-Assault Suits Valken 2 is a Japan-only PSX game and it's a crappy Front Mission knockoff.

-Front Mission Gun Hazard is a sidescrolling mech action-RPG by the same guy who directed Cybernator and it has the same attention to detail in movements, visuals, etc and the RPG elements are fun but you're basically picking little skirmishes/boss fights from a map most of the time so there aren't many actual levels. It was only released in Japan but there's a fan translation.

-Metal Warriors is a SNES game made by LucasArts and released only in NA by Konami; it's another sidescrolling mech game with obvious similarities to Cybernator, to the point where people thought they were part of the same series; it's not quite as good as the real thing but it has some unique elements like versus multiplayer that make it worth playing.

-Gunhound EX is a Japanese indie game for PC/PSP that was made as a homage to the Assault Suits games and Cybernator in particular, with music by people who worked on Castlevania and Thunder Force, and it was so good that they ended up making the official Leynos remake. The Steam version goes on sale quite regularly for very cheap.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nintendo posted up some interviews about the NES Classic and some of the games in it, similar in vein to the old Iwata Asks interviews. You've probably seen a news article about an unofficial translation of the first one before hand, but here it is anyway...
Donkey Kong with Miyamoto
Balloon Fight with Sakamoto
SMB1 and 3 with Miyamoto, Tezuka and Koji Kondo

They've also uploaded the original printed instruction manuals for each game on the platform, along with their boring modern digital manuals. Its fun to look at all the little drawings in these things!
NES Classic
Famicom Mini

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Kins posted:

the old Iwata Asks interviews

Did Nintendo or an ambitious archivist ever put all of these in one easy-to-read (and/or, ideally, download for offline reading) place? I remember after he passed away wanting to sit down and binge-read through them, but I never got around to it.

Also I am super duper happy to see people loving on Bird Week, City Connection, and Choro-Q. The car in City Connection was an actual little car called the Honda City and it was adorable

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Speaking of the NES Classic, currently debating whether to head to Target this morning and see if there's any competition for the 23 units that will be available, mostly because I have a gift card.

And whether I then want to engage in the frenzy on Amazon later.

It's silly, I own most of these games in some form, but not all, and a few of the choices could be better, but it'd be neat to get one today.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fwiw any store that puts it up for online order sells out in like 1-2 minutes, faster than most can actually get through the checkout process.

Just as well I'm getting one shipped from Germany because I totally missed cancelling that order somehow. :downs:

Right now I'm just messing with shaders on the Retropie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Discount Viscount posted:

Speaking of the NES Classic, currently debating whether to head to Target this morning and see if there's any competition for the 23 units that will be available, mostly because I have a gift card.

And whether I then want to engage in the frenzy on Amazon later.

It's silly, I own most of these games in some form, but not all, and a few of the choices could be better, but it'd be neat to get one today.

The Australian release at Big W and Target were apparently pretty brutal due to low stock. If you go, you should probably wear a stab vest or something.

Also, EB Games (AU) will have a second small December-released batch for preorder online on Monday. God help your souls and F5 keys.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

checksin posted:

EDF
EDF
EDF

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
I preordered a NES Mini Classic that should be arriving today, but the more I think about it (and the fact I have a soft-modded Wii for this kind of emulated thing anyway), the more I'm probably just going to flip it on Ebay.

Has anybody already got one, started using it and have any major unexpected revelations about it that we don't already know about?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Meanwhile I'm gonna get a famicom mini from amazon.jp just so i can put it side by side with my actual famicom :shobon:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Also I am super duper happy to see people loving on Bird Week, City Connection, and Choro-Q. The car in City Connection was an actual little car called the Honda City and it was adorable

BIRD WEEK BIRD WEEK BIRD WEEK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCrzdUPqL4

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 11, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What are some good shmups on the dreamcast that aren't bullet hell memorization fests? Basically I'm looking for a game like Sky Force/SF Reloaded on the Dreamcast.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
This is a large thread, so sorry if it has been covered before. For those with an original NES that isn't working, has anyone tried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrrRSAr1rVs BOILING THE 72-PIN CONNECTOR???

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

This is a large thread, so sorry if it has been covered before. For those with an original NES that isn't working, has anyone tried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrrRSAr1rVs BOILING THE 72-PIN CONNECTOR???

It comes up every so often, and does, in fact, work, as it forces the metal pins to expand and return to their original "tight" position. The front-loading NES has a bad design that inevitably fails, which can be mitigated a bit if the connector is tight enough and you don't push the cartridge down (that's what wrecks the connector).

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

univbee posted:

It comes up every so often, and does, in fact, work, as it forces the metal pins to expand and return to their original "tight" position. The front-loading NES has a bad design that inevitably fails, which can be mitigated a bit if the connector is tight enough and you don't push the cartridge down (that's what wrecks the connector).

Its more that it breaks loose the 30 year old gunk on the pins so you can scrape it off with a spare SMB/cleaning cart. I usually still have to re-bend the pins after if it isn't making contact.

Also, don't let the connector sit at the bottom of the pot while the burner is on or the connector's plastic will warp.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I finally fixed my frontloading NES's terrible connector by selling it and buying a toploader, I highly recommend doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Monitor Burn posted:

Also, don't let the connector sit at the bottom of the pot while the burner is on or the connector's plastic will warp.
I haven't had this problem, and the metal at the bottom of the pot will be (within a tiny margin of variability) exactly the same temperature as the boiling water (100* C).

That said, I wholeheartedly endorse Elliotw2's solution. If you can afford it, get a top loader.

• Locked thread