Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Man, that just kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

the pitch of your frustration yells started running into "jerry just got tom to sit on a needle" territory

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Stupidly went to my uni gym today and there was no joke a line to use the squat racks. What idiot thought over 100 treadmills was more important than more than 3fucking racks

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What's the etiquette in a rack line? Do you put your powder shaker on the rails like quarters on a pool table?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unless you're earning money, why bother clean n jerk. You'd never use that lift in day to day life.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jonathan posted:

Unless you're earning money, why bother clean n jerk. You'd never use that lift in day to day life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=436f3DCSbI0&t=240s

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just seems like a risky lift if it goes wrong.

I can't go to the gym today but I'll be doing some heavy lifting! 100,000lb pulling force with this winch.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gonna try those cable crunches today. Looks good!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

What is that aghast face he photoshops on every dude? It seems familiar but I can't place it.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Uh it's him

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

i loled

ty

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
OHP is a bitch. I hit 90x5x5 and only the last rep of the last set went up slow. Then the next time it rolls around 4 days later and I do 95, I only get 4 reps, then 3 then 3. So I just went with that then a couple of sets of 65x8 after. I did rush it a bit and only waited a minute and a half between sets so maybe that was partially it. Or I need some 1.75lb plates to go up slower. I'm supposed to bench 155 5x5 tomorrow hopefully that goes well.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
You can go up slower or repeat the week until you get the right number of reps....

4 days is also not enough time to recover for OHP imo if you're going heavy and also doing other lifts too

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm basically doing Stronglifts. I do bench and ohp the proper way 5x5, but i do my squats as 3x5. I also haven't been squatting this week because the back thing, so I doubt it's overtraining type poo poo. Also my bench has felt pretty strong. My guess is it's just an off day, or maybe since OHP is naturally weaker, going up 5 lbs is too high a percentage of weight to jump, as compared to my bench which is at 150.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm basically doing Stronglifts. I do bench and ohp the proper way 5x5, but i do my squats as 3x5. I also haven't been squatting this week because the back thing, so I doubt it's overtraining type poo poo. Also my bench has felt pretty strong. My guess is it's just an off day, or maybe since OHP is naturally weaker, going up 5 lbs is too high a percentage of weight to jump, as compared to my bench which is at 150.

Definitely buy fractional plates for OHP. 5 lbs jumps become infeasible pretty quickly with them.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
next time you're struggling to finish your set just start yelling ARNOLD! ARNOLD! and then you'll crush it
proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaNePTIpvNE&t=23s

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

proof of concept posted:

next time you're struggling to finish your set just start yelling ARNOLD! ARNOLD! and then you'll crush it
proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaNePTIpvNE&t=23s

These "military presses" look like the crossfit of weight lifting.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
don't tell HIM that, you might make him angry

you wouldn't like him when he's angry

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

OHP is a bitch. I hit 90x5x5 and only the last rep of the last set went up slow. Then the next time it rolls around 4 days later and I do 95, I only get 4 reps, then 3 then 3. So I just went with that then a couple of sets of 65x8 after. I did rush it a bit and only waited a minute and a half between sets so maybe that was partially it. Or I need some 1.75lb plates to go up slower. I'm supposed to bench 155 5x5 tomorrow hopefully that goes well.

I've never done or understood doing multiple sets with the same heavy weight. It seems counter intuitive.

Every strength program I've seen beyond SS tells you to build up to one or max few heavy sets, then back down for hypertrophy.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Well I haven't been back into lifting very long and I'm just doing one of the more popular beginner programs. I always intended to swap to something maybe somewhere between strength/hypertrophy once I get back into the groove of things. what are the names of these programs? I do think the concept of a couple of low rep high intensity sets followed by lighter hypertrophy sets would be more interesting and fun to do.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Well I haven't been back into lifting very long and I'm just doing one of the more popular beginner programs. I always intended to swap to something maybe somewhere between strength/hypertrophy once I get back into the groove of things. what are the names of these programs? I do think the concept of a couple of low rep high intensity sets followed by lighter hypertrophy sets would be more interesting and fun to do.

do 531

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That ones pretty slow isn't it? It would be good to do a program that progresses more slowly because I work all the time so recovery friendly stuff is good, but I think I have a good bit of noob gains to exhaust before jumping on something like 5/3/1.

e: Also I still need to work on things like my diet, drinking less beer, sleep, etc. I've made some progress and immediately noticed some difference but I still have a ways to go. I'd like to get that stuff in check before jumping onto a more serious and strict program or maybe complicated is the word I'm looking for.

e2: I'm googling a bit and it seems 5/3/1 is fairly adjustable(it looks like theres a beginners version) and good for what I mentioned earlier about working a ton of hours, so I will consider hopping onto it sooner rather than later. Obviously still want to stick with what I'm doing for a bit longer, but I'd like to have a bit of a plan.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 11, 2016

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Alfalfa has a good selection of different type of programs in his thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910

531 thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170225

There's multiple apps for phones that can do every bit of calculation and tracking for you. I personally haven't jumped on 531, but the free android app I glanced at seemed pretty comprehensive and basically walks you through the whole workout with even a rest counter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Doing bench and overhead press on separate days of a routine is a good way to fry your front delts.

Hope you're doing a lot of medial and rear work to compensate (and not a bunch of sets of front raises like half the clowns in my gym).

UnfurledSails posted:

Definitely buy fractional plates for OHP. 5 lbs jumps become infeasible pretty quickly with them.

Alternatively mix up the rep targets. Going from 60x5 to 62.5x5 is a big jump, but not a serious problem you're also doing 65x3 and 70x1 etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That ones pretty slow isn't it? It would be good to do a program that progresses more slowly because I work all the time so recovery friendly stuff is good, but I think I have a good bit of noob gains to exhaust before jumping on something like 5/3/1.

5/3/1 is only slow if you follow it to the letter, do all your calculations with 90% of your 1rm as suggested, and never jump forward in weight when things seem easy.

That advice is for more experienced lifters with an established, ego-fueled when-the-wind-is-right max (like how I can bench 115). When beginners do it like that you see goons boasting about getting 12 reps in their final set of a 1+ day, thinking they've accomplished something worthwhile.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 11, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

Doing bench and overhead press on separate days of a routine is a good way to fry your front delts.

Hope you're doing a lot of medial and rear work to compensate (and not a bunch of sets of front raises like half the clowns in my gym).

Do you mean fry as in injure or fry as in "work a lot"? I'm aware a lot of pushing motions can jack up your shoulders. I do 3 sets of face pulls at the end of every workout. Also pull ups on bench days and pendlay rows on OHP days. Also do shoulder dislocators and pull aparts with a band when I do my stretching.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Overdoing front delts can lead to weird impingements and other fun issues, but mostly it leaves you with awful posture due to slumped forward shoulders. Blowing up your front delts makes for a lovely physique.

My expert opinion is that no one needs more than one press in their diet. Medial and rear delt work is essential if that press involves a bench. Front delts take care of themselves.

Doing a hundred pull variations at different angles is cool and good though.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I think most people who start lifting in the 00s have the same over worked rolled front delt look from a combo of never doing rear delt work, every lifting program back then saying to do bb/db press and incline bench a million times while never mentioning facepulls or rear delt flys, and being hunched over posting on their pc about "pozing a neg hole."

A good shoulder day includes 1 press variation, 1 lateral raise, 1 front delt move, and 2 rear delt moves.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

strict, bench, and dips are all essential components of a well developed shoulder routine.

most people are going to favor the bench and that's fine.

poor posture has nothing to do with overdeveloped front delts or whatever, it has to do with.... poor posture. if you're slumping, it's not because your muscles are too big or whatever.

press is the most easily recovered from of all the slow lifts and variations because a.) you're not using any really large muscles and b.) you're not going to lift a lot relative to your squat, deadlift, etc.

there is absolutely no rhyme or reason why press gets magically impossible to lift at the drop of a hat. there is something to say about it having the smallest correct "slot" for a good lift (like if you're slightly forward you can't even move it, whereas with a squat you can correct) but if it doesn't want to move, it's not going to move.

i have bad elbows (tennis injuries) and have found hook gripping the press forces my radius to move better for some reason and allows me to lift more weight.

don't wear a belt when you press. If you can't stabilize a light weight, you don't need to be trying.

most good programs will give bench and strict their own day, and treat dips as an accessory. for most people I think this is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 11, 2016

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Metanaut posted:

I've never done or understood doing multiple sets with the same heavy weight. It seems counter intuitive.
Because it's not heavy. As new/weak lifter you can 5rm baby weight for 3x5 and not have it kill you. That's why when you switch to 531 you also switch to a monthly 5rm (you should ideally get at lest 5 reps with your 1+ set) with weekly back off sets (FSL or BBB). Texas method does the same thing only with a weekly 5rm with front loading all the volume on Monday.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LSU strength works in base sets of ten

you'll taste blood on the front squats.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Guys I'm deadlifting

Haha don't you hate it when you do a deadlift and when it's pulled up all the way your dick hangs over the bar haha

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 11, 2016

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

poor posture has nothing to do with overdeveloped front delts or whatever

Yes it does. If you over work your front delts and dont work your rear delts your relaxed posture will have your shoulders rolled forward.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Guys I'm deadlifting

Haha don't you hate it when you do a deadlift and when it's pulled up all the way your dick hangs over the bar haha

Sometimes I forget a change of boxers so I'm freeballing it, and then my balls hang over the bar too.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Guys I'm deadlifting

Do you deadlift naked or something? ;-*

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A lot of the popular programs are written by dudes who admit they only include bench press because it's fun and people will do it anyway, it's the furthest thing from essential (unless you're training for a combine or actual powerlifting competition).

Big tits are for chicks.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I was lifting with my friend today who is literally the vp of his fraternity and he told me he never works out rear delts because "girls don't look at rear delts."
Who was I to call him, who is both way more ripped and successful with women than me, wrong?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Was feeling low-energy this morning but trying to push through it. I lift without spotters because I don't have any friends (I am very off-putting) and I was in the middle of my 225 set on the bench and half way up.... got stuck. Had one of those OH gently caress moments because I also didn't have any collars on the bar... because of my lack of spotters I don't push to failure, so I am usually fine. But all of a sudden I was at failure and about to be hosed, but I yelled out and somehow got the bar up.

That was scary. And it woke my rear end up.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

These "military presses" look like the crossfit of weight lifting.

I say people who look like they could pound me into the dirt with a hammer fist like in a Bugs Bunny cartoon can lift with whatever form they want, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my OHP is at 4x10 with the 100 :smug:

burrito gains

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 11, 2016