Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

teen witch posted:

The Wiz you all forgot The Wiz you monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6FLzECdRIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Is Afro Samurai any good or is it really racist?

Is good. Short and sweet and crazy animated, and also legit really loving cool, which us good cuz you can really tell how hard they were trying to be cool the whole time and it could've easily gone so wrong.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

Errm...

I'm just gonna tell myself you're making a Juno meta-joke.

There's also John Q. which iirc has Denzel chaining the doors of a hospital

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

My mother called me tonight and when she said I sounded depressed, I told her "duh, yeah, the election". She then proceeded to gloat over Trump winning. I told her that since she felt the need to help vote an unrepentant racist into the White House, she can either do some soul searching about why she was wrong to support him and apologize for her poor choice, or to never speak to me again, because she's not just being a jerk to me, she's being actively disrespectful to her daughter in law (my wife, who is black). I can and will cut my mom out of my life over this, she crossed a goddamn line. I will beat to death the first cracker rear end motherfucker who uses this poo poo as an excuse to be lovely to my wife.

Truth. This is the same kind of truth BDP was dropping in the 80's:

"We're not here for glamour or fashion
But here's the question I'm asking
Why isn't young black kids taught black?
They're only taught how to read, write, and act
It's like teaching a dog to be a cat
You don't teach white kids to be black
Why is that? Is it because we're the minority?
Well black kids follow me"

If you let white people school children of colour, it just helps inculcate them in white culture and white privilege.

What was her response?

If she comes back with hat in hand I'm gonna need her to send me personally a written apology.

The Shortest Path posted:

Is Afro Samurai any good or is it really racist?

Afro Samurai is THE poo poo.

Afro Samurai and Afro Samurai: Resurrection were amazing.

Also it has Samuel L Jackson in it.

Which is funny that white people love him because if they knew anything about his life before movies they would HATE him.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 11, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aliquid posted:

There's also John Q. which iirc has Denzel chaining the doors of a hospital

Yeah I got those mashed up in my mind

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"The Greatest African-American and Afro-american Martial Artists in History"

Would buy tickets to movies about any of these people, tia Hollywood.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Boyz n the hood is a classic. But man did radio ruin his career that much or was it something else?

Dope is a great film as well that I don't hear people talk about much and features a black nerd character.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

blackguy32 posted:

Boyz n the hood is a classic. But man did radio ruin his career that much or was it something else?

Dope is a great film as well that I don't hear people talk about much and features a black nerd character.

Cuba Gooding Jr.? He was in American Gangster, Selma, The Butler, and a lot of Direct-to-DVD stinkers.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Forceholy posted:

Cuba Gooding Jr.? He was in American Gangster, Selma, The Butler, and a lot of Direct-to-DVD stinkers.

Snow Dogs. I remind you of Snow Dogs.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

"The Greatest African-American and Afro-american Martial Artists in History"

Would buy tickets to movies about any of these people, tia Hollywood.

Michael Jai White is that dude.

His career got sold so loving short.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

gently caress you know what you guys oughta watch some of those soapy black 90s dramedies, like The Wood and its much-belated sequel, Everyone's Wearing Christmas Sweaters and Has Cancer

What about the romcoms like Waiting to Exhale or Love and Basket Ball? I seem to remember those getting heavy rotation after Soul Train on Saturday afternooons.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

negromancer posted:

What was her response?

If she comes back with hat in hand I'm gonna need her to send me personally a written apology.

Afro Samurai is THE poo poo.

Afro Samurai and Afro Samurai: Resurrection were amazing.

Also it has Samuel L Jackson in it.

Which is funny that white people love him because if they knew anything about his life before movies they would HATE him.

I dunno, I liked him more after finding out about his past. Its hard not to have respect for a person like that. Though you are right, this would probably not be a common view point amongst my peer.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

What about the romcoms like Waiting to Exhale or Love and Basket Ball? I seem to remember those getting heavy rotation after Soul Train on Saturday afternooons.

Yesssss. Any movie where two impossibly sexy black people are frowning at each other on the VHS cover.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Yesssss. Any movie where two impossibly sexy black people are frowning at each other on the VHS cover.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

blackguy32 posted:

Oh my god Dope is the poo poo, I seriously rant about it to everyone, Shameik Moore is amazing. And it's on Netflix, so there are no excuses for anyone missing it.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/siyandawrites/status/796286719058382848

https://twitter.com/siyandawrites/status/796288514782543877

Read this whole thread. It's about the radicalization of white men online.

People used to laugh off places like 4chan and Reddit for years and years. "It's just a joke bro" was always the line of defense used.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since we're talking movies:

Has anyone in this thread seen the 1978 film "Blue Collar", a crime drama featuring both Richard Pryor and Yaphet Kotto in main roles with Harvey Keitel? It's on Spike Lee's essential film list, and also touches on the use of racial divisiveness, intimidation, and forcing "buy-in" at the cost of one's inner integrity in order to get ahead and survive as sociodynamic forces meant to uphold and cynically maintain a system of corruption and privilege.

It's also just really good in general, in spite of (or perhaps because of?) the three main actors not really getting along while it was shot.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Scent of Worf posted:

People used to laugh off places like 4chan and Reddit for years and years. "It's just a joke bro" was always the line of defense used.

It would have never been taken as a "joke" if Muslims were online talking about how white people are terrible they were for years and how they couldn't wait to kill them.

Ah, the beauty of white privilege.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And now SA is one of those places.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My Trump supporting, Nigerian immigrant father wants to "talk" and I don't know what to say outside of "at least when you were a poo poo father in the 90s it didn't endanger the rest of the world."

E: is there a "no you shut the gently caress up dad" emote or

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

teen witch posted:

My Trump supporting, Nigerian immigrant father wants to "talk" and I don't know what to say outside of "at least when you were a poo poo father in the 90s it didn't endanger the rest of the world."

E: is there a "no you shut the gently caress up dad" emote or

Closest thing I could find.

e: or this.

Ask him if he has the plug on any Nigerian princes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

Closest thing I could find.

Ask him if he has the plug on any Nigerian princes.

I wish. I goddamn wish he was scam Nigerian instead of "continuously shooting themselves in the foot" Nigerian.

I'm merely "kind of a weirdo" Nigerian, but only half. Weirdo American.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

teen witch posted:

I wish. I goddamn wish he was scam Nigerian instead of "continuously shooting themselves in the foot" Nigerian.

I'm merely "kind of a weirdo" Nigerian, but only half. Weirdo American.

The best (read: worst) part about the latter type is as SOON as white people let them know they aint nothing but a friend of the family too, its "we ALL need to come together as the African diaspora, and leave old wounds behind" poo poo, like we gonna forget all that poo poo they were talking because a white cop let them know their place in America.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought everyone complained SA was a nest of horrible SJW's and internet marxists, now it's a hive of alt-right radicalization?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I thought everyone complained SA was a nest of horrible SJW's and internet marxists, now it's a hive of alt-right radicalization?

That'll happen once you ban everybody who toxxed for human decency

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That'll happen once you ban everybody who toxxed for human decency

Apparently SA used to be hard core libertarian back in the day. I always just thought "we" outgrew that. Are new people coming in? Existing people becoming lovely? Is it a cycle?

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Apparently SA used to be hard core libertarian back in the day. I always just thought "we" outgrew that. Are new people coming in? Existing people becoming lovely? Is it a cycle?

I assume they just hid on the other subforums and Trump winning was the loving Batsignal for them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

The best (read: worst) part about the latter type is as SOON as white people let them know they aint nothing but a friend of the family too, its "we ALL need to come together as the African diaspora, and leave old wounds behind" poo poo, like we gonna forget all that poo poo they were talking because a white cop let them know their place in America.

I've confronted him about the whole cops can't tell if your black or African you're a dead friend of the family either way and his response is "I know my rights!"

My entire father's side of the family does not know why he veers to the right. He has seen brutal, violent oppression in the flesh.

But when I have those same fears for me and my sister I'm being "emotional."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I will say this about the "not quite 9/11 but up there in surreality" week. Literally everyone here, whether it be white Swedes or Syrian refugees and all in between, have shown me sympathy and love towards me. I've never been shown unabashed and unconditional "We're here for you" like this in my life. People who have no business even giving me the time of day asking me if I'm ok, if I've slept, how I'm doing. It's made me feel more welcome here.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

teen witch posted:

I will say this about the "not quite 9/11 but up there in surreality" week. Literally everyone here, whether it be white Swedes or Syrian refugees and all in between, have shown me sympathy and love towards me. I've never been shown unabashed and unconditional "We're here for you" like this in my life. People who have no business even giving me the time of day asking me if I'm ok, if I've slept, how I'm doing. It's made me feel more welcome here.

Hell, I might come on down to Sweden. I can pretty much get a job anywhere and I'm sure I can apply for asylum on the account of the orange rage golem taking office.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

negromancer posted:

What was her response?

Predictably, she doubled down:

('Former' daughter in law because I'm her former son now)

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
A little late to the kung fu movie chat but, how on earth did nobody mention Drunken master? Have you just not seen it? Because everything Jackie Chan touches is just gold.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

HotCanadianChick posted:

That "excepted" in place of "accepted" is so Freudian.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That "excepted" in place of "accepted" is so Freudian.

Yeah, I know it's just old people + autocorrect, but still...

And my parents' rampant neo-con, Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter loving ways are why I had always been nervous about introducing my wife to my family for fear that one of them would inadvertently say or do something horrible. I guess it was inevitable that one day something like this would happen.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Scent of Worf posted:

If nothing else, the last eight years are a nice demonstration on how radicalization really gets its footholds in society and devours the rest of it. Now if only we could be certain that there will still be a society in eight years.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well, at least no one can question your allyship now. That takes some intestinal fortitude right there.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Hey I hope it's fine to post this in this thread, I figure since it's about a black man and this threads focus is meant to be on black people it's fine even if he isn't a yank, it's a small wrong being righted but I was happy to hear about it happening.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-11/private-miller-mack's-remains-to-return-to-raukkan/8010696?sf42007982=1
Indigenous Australians have fought in every conflict since the Boer War.

But some believe that until recently, they have not been properly recognised for their efforts.

Mr Denny said South Australia was leading the way in recognising the achievements of Indigenous soldiers and the exhumation of Private Mack was another example of that.

"It's another step in recognising Aboriginal service largely unknown until relatively recently or largely unrecognised until relatively recently," he said.

"Here in South Australia we've taken the lead ... and certainly Remembrance Day will be a day when we're thinking about Aboriginal service and service in every sense."

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Are we still allowed to talk about movies? Because I want to take every opportunity I can to say "gently caress Tyler Perry". I get that he is a black director who hires a lot of black talent. That in and of itself is fine, but his movies are blatantly colorist.

The dark-skinned woman is almost always terrible for being too educated.
The dark-skinned man is psycho and abusive who does something absurdly evil for no reason.
The light-skinned man with "good" hair is the hero.
All problems are solved by turning over your life to Christ.
Madea is just so LOL WACKY. "You can't have a gun in a grocery store! Silly Madea, what will you do next?" :allears:

He's also a hack director and script writer.

That's leaving aside the fact that in 2016 These cross dressing "I will exaggerate black womanhood" characters look so dated and out of place.

"The Boondocks" did an excellent Tyler Perry parody that I cannot recommend watching enough if you want to see my exact problems with his movies. They also highly suspect that all of this is because he's gay and that does come up in the episode, but the parody of his films and public persona is dead on. You have to find it online because

Tyler Perry got super upset about it and it's on none of the box sets.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

And my parents' rampant neo-con, Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter loving ways are why I had always been nervous about introducing my wife to my family for fear that one of them would inadvertently say or do something horrible. I guess it was inevitable that one day something like this would happen.

I am very glad that my parents are lefty ex-hippies (and also that we don't live in America). We'd talked of moving back to my wife's area of the US (Texas/Mississippi) in a few years, but, well, 'a few' is now 'at least four'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Everyone watch Black Dynamite too. It's probably less funny if you didn't grow up on these movies, but it's still great. Actually here's my blackfolk 101 (extremely 101, don't fuss) movie list:

Black Dynamite
Black Power Mixtape
Good Hair
Dear White People
Coming to America
CB4
Shaft
Jackie Brown (Even though Tarantino is the p-word)
Do the Right Thing (ok tricked you this one's advanced, but watch it and then be confused by it and come here and talk about it and unlock wokeness inside you)

Add Romero Must Die, Friday and Next Friday to that list and you have essentially my old uni flats movie playlist on loop.

We also watched Friday After Next like once and then never spoke of it again.

• Locked thread