Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Tias posted:

E: a lot of my US queer and trans friends on facebook are talking about arming themselves. Are Trumps admin going to be as hosed up to LGBTQ people as they think? :(

Vice President Pence is literally the worst-case scenario for LGBTQ people. I wouldn't call it 'arm yourself' territory, but it's not gonna be good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Did I really read a post on freep critical of people who want a civil war because their candidate lost?!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ambitious Spider posted:

Did I really read a post on freep critical of people who want a civil war because their candidate lost?!

Dissent is treason. Regardless of your political opinion it's everyone's duty to support the president.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Freepers didn't want a civil war, they would totally have sighed regretfully and perhaps even shed a single sad tear at the horror of it all, at the terrible waste of human life as they picked up their guns and went out into the streets to do their duty shooting every rabid, rampaging demonrat and ni... thug they could find.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Voyeur posted:

Freepers didn't want a civil war, they would totally have sighed regretfully and perhaps even shed a single sad tear at the horror of it all, at the terrible waste of human life as they picked up their guns and went their keyboard and started posting about going out into the streets to do their duty shooting every rabid, rampaging demonrat and ni... thug they could find.
Fixed that for you.

How do they not realise they were saying they'd do the very same thing. Well I guess in their mind it's not the same thing at all.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Debate the point all you want (and I saw someone upthread say they'd rather die than do it, but whatevs), but I've seen quite a few variants of "I finally get the 2nd amendment" on the interwebs the last day or so.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
People should have learned from history is that the best way to get stronger gun laws is to have black people try and take advantage of the same rights that whites do.

Gun laws/anything, really.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, as unfortunate as the circumstances are where members of the LGBT community feel the need to arm themselves, it is hard not to also see how it is likely to improve the social conscience of the pool of people who are armed in society today, and give some shitheads pause about just what arming the population means.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tias posted:

We're talking past one another. Trump will gently caress up the EPA, but that is not why he was elected. He was elected because he wasn't Clinton - and also, of course, because of the kook vote, but I think "dealing with" illegals and muslims swayed more of them than slashing the EPA.

E: a lot of my US queer and trans friends on facebook are talking about arming themselves. Are Trumps admin going to be as hosed up to LGBTQ people as they think? :(

I don't think they're going to get purposely hit by Trump. Maybe Reps will try the SC, but that's still a long shot till another justice or two are gone.
The worst they'll get for now is likely an uptick in crazy evangicals shouting some hate here and there.

jojoinnit posted:

Dems will buy up all the guns and ammo then claim the shortage of ammo and the high price of guns is because Trumps goons are readying the queer internment camps. I hear they bought a billion rounds of ammo for "training exercises".

Why not. That's what all the loonies said about Obama

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pence is going to be the vice president of the United States

I will not blame anyone in the LGBTQ community for buying a gun to protect themselves, or just to feel safer

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SocketWrench posted:

I don't think they're going to get purposely hit by Trump. Maybe Reps will try the SC, but that's still a long shot till another justice or two are gone.
The worst they'll get for now is likely an uptick in crazy evangicals shouting some hate here and there.

Why not. That's what all the loonies said about Obama

I don't think anyone is afraid Trump will personally start a pogrom or the like. Their argument is that the Trump admin purposely will abstain from adressing hate crimes, leading to an uptick once his supporters realize they can get away with it.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Tias posted:

I don't think anyone is afraid Trump will personally start a pogrom or the like. Their argument is that the Trump admin purposely will abstain from adressing hate crimes, leading to an uptick once his supporters realize they can get away with it.

It's also expected that Trump will devolve a lot of power on social issues to the states or lower, to cities or local authorities. If every deep-red county across the breadth of the USA gets to define things like hate crimes, religious freedom and marriage laws on their own terms then there's going to be more than one place where beating gay people to death in the street doesn't even warrant a day in court.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Plinkey posted:

Probably not, but Dems getting into the gun culture and getting them out of the bubble and interacting with the rest of america is probably a good thing.

Uh, bro, gun ownership in this country is about 20% of the population. You really going to call the 80% majority of the country without guns "the bubble"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes but there are more guns than people. The bubble is the world of flesh and bone, the real is lead and grease.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
AFAIK, gun ownership is at its lowest in nearly 40 years in the US, but 20% is a lot lower than numbers I've seen.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The 1% gun elite control the majority of guns in America.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nidhg00670000 posted:

AFAIK, gun ownership is at its lowest in nearly 40 years in the US, but 20% is a lot lower than numbers I've seen.

Sorry, I misremembered, it was 22%: http://www.newsweek.com/us-gun-ownership-declines-312822?piano_t=1

32% of households have at least one gun, but only 22% of people own any guns. 35% of men own a gun, and only 12% of women do. Incidentally the income group with highest household ownership rates? $90,000+, with 44% of those households owning guns.

There was also a separate survey out there that the determined the majority of the 300 million plus guns in private hands in this country are owned by a small percentage of the people who own guns - since most people who do own guns tend to only own one or two guns, with shotguns and simple traditional riles the most common. Since those are the most useful guns to people who need to have a gun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fargo Fukes posted:

It's also expected that Trump will devolve a lot of power on social issues to the states or lower, to cities or local authorities. If every deep-red county across the breadth of the USA gets to define things like hate crimes, religious freedom and marriage laws on their own terms then there's going to be more than one place where beating gay people to death in the street doesn't even warrant a day in court.

This is what scares me more than Trump, per se. Trump is going to get us into a shooting war and will badger the military about using nuclear weapons. I've come to terms with that and pray to God saner heads in the military prevail. But Trump does not give a poo poo about anything that does not affect him personally, and he is going to give the GOP - including most significantly Mike Pence - free reign to do whatever they drat well please, and that does terrify me. LGBT people, African-Americans, Muslims (and anyone who "looks" Muslim), and women are all in very serious risk of getting assaulted, murdered, and other fun things over the next four to eight years and the government is not going to do a drat thing about it - particularly in already conservative parts of the country.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
From Trump adviser urges Obama, Clinton to speak out on protests posted by freeper metmom

quote:

Obama and Hillary should have done this from day one without having to be asked by anyone.

That they didn't is reprehensible and only validates our position about them and our choice for Donald Trump.

1 posted on 11/11/2016, 6:10:08 AM by metmom

quote:

To: metmom

Yes! No self-respecting leader would want to be silent on this shameful spasm of bitterness being acted out in their name!

3 posted on 11/11/2016, 6:11:57 AM by Genoa (Luke 12:2)

quote:

These protests are all about getting Trump to accept a false premise that he needs to reach out to those who are "dienfranchised" by his election.

TO HELL WITH THEM!

5 posted on 11/11/2016, 6:12:43 AM by Extremely Extreme Extremist (Trump that Beyotch!)

quote:

The man who pays the piper calls the tune. Soros and the Communist Party are the ones to stop this.

19 posted on 11/11/2016, 6:20:58 AM by Don Corleone (Oil the gun, eat the cannolis, take it to the mattress.)

quote:

The world is laughing at us. We’re always bragging about how America always has a “peaceful transfer of power”. We’re acting like a two bit banana republic now. Communism does that to countries.

29 posted on 11/11/2016, 6:30:07 AM by FlingWingFlyer (A proud and defiant irredeemable deplorable!)

Today's broken clock.

quote:

She’s asking Hillary to speak to them? Hillary is irrelevant, and protestors didn’t listen to her in the first place. It’s time for the Clintons to go away.

30 posted on 11/11/2016, 6:30:15 AM by ViLaLuz (2 Chronicles 7:14)

quote:

No chance. These protests are organized by people with close ties to the administration and funded by globalist oligarchical scumbags. It’s the only leverage they have left.

The fact that they are ongoing, and worsening, is actually “comforting” to me in a way. This statement and Trump’s tweet from last night shows he knows what’s up and he is not going to bend to extortion. You want to play these games, go ahead, you have 70 days and then The Law comes back to town.

34 posted on 11/11/2016, 6:39:14 AM by Dr.Deth

quote:

Clinton’s silence is seditious.

She is hoping to obtain office by any means possible.

45 posted on 11/11/2016, 7:09:23 AM by Ray76 (DRAIN THE SWAMP)

quote:

Of course, Trump knows that Hill and O’Muslim planned these fake protests with Soros,who pays the protesters.

When Hitlery and O’bummer acted human on Wednesday, it’s only because they knew the paid rioters would be surrounding Trump Tower that night.

Law and Order is coming, and it’s coming soon.

And LOCK HER UP, too.

48 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:10:19 AM by TheConservativeParty (TRUMP 45 Meet the new boss, not the same as any old boss.)

And from a second thread on the same story

quote:

To: Scythian_Reborn

Or Obama could order in the Nat’l Guard and perform mass arrests of the angry snowflakes.

Nah. That’d be something a president would do...

7 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:18:19 AM by Zarro (Oh, we don't call them the "MSM" any longer; they are now the "Basket of Detestables")

quote:

The first violent ones to get mowed down would solve the problem.

I can’t imagine someone blocking the street. I wouldn’t run them over and go to prison for life but I would beat the #### out of them and no way that’s more than probation in NYC.

bigger fish to fry.

9 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:19:21 AM by dp0622 (IThe only thing an upper crust conservative hates more than a liberal is a middle class conservative)

quote:

Let the loony snowflakes keep putting their hate and insanity on display for all of America to see. People will be calling for the indoctrination and programming centers, formerly known as colleges and universities, to be closed down. They are America’s greatest enemy at the present time.

10 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:19:33 AM by FlingWingFlyer (A proud and defiant irredeemable deplorable!)

loving hell

quote:

Ah, yes, the demand for “virtue signaling” ploy.

How do you like it, Democrats?

12 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:21:12 AM by Fido969

I really wanted to bold this entire thing, but I want anyone that's been watching the news to tell me that violence is being encouraged by anybody in the media.

quote:

Imagine if Shrill had won and these protests were directed against her. The MSM would be all over Trump and demonizing all Trump supports as violent misogynists. But as always, the SM refuses to condemn (and actually encourages) left wing violence.

20 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:24:09 AM by vekzen

For the record, a few dozen people were arrested in Portland last night, and a whole bunch of the other troublemakers were caught on camera and I eagerly await their arrest.

quote:

To: dp0622

The minute a protest turn violent and people’s safety and property is jeopardized the police need to start locking people up. Protest is fine; destruction is not.

24 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:27:07 AM by Starboard

quote:

To: LouAvul

When Trump begins to TERMINATE FUNDING to these blue states and George Soros lives out his last days IN PRISON and his bank accounts are frozen, these ‘protests’ will come to a screeching halt.

34 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:30:28 AM by CivilWarBrewing (Females DESTROYED America.)

quote:

To: Freedom'sWorthIt

Those involved in funding and organizing these riots are engaged in a conspiracy against public order and (however ineffectually) plotting the violent overthrow of the US Government.

They must they brought to brought to justice whoever they are.

35 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:30:29 AM by Mad_as_heck (The MSM - America's (domestic) public enemy #1.)

quote:

To: CivilWarBrewing

I have a feeling once AG Giuliani launches his massive investigation of Soros things are gonna get a whole lot quieter.

45 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:44:44 AM by Buckeye McFrog

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tias posted:

This is exactly the reason my fiancee and I have serious plans to get at least one handgun and concealed carry licenses. She's a female queer of openly non-Christian religious beliefs, so if her skin tone was any darker she'd be the perfect prey for a lynching.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nihilarian posted:

Pence is going to be the vice president of the United States

I will not blame anyone in the LGBTQ community for buying a gun to protect themselves, or just to feel safer

Until they shoot their spouse or child on accident. A lot of the arguments don't stop being plausible just because the group changed

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Those involved in funding and organizing these riots are engaged in a conspiracy against public order and (however ineffectually) plotting the violent overthrow of the US Government.

I know it was expected and already mentioned, but man it sure didn't take Freep long to start going "Anybody who wants to violently overthrow the US government is bad!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Guns are cool and good and everybody should have a few.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tias posted:

Honestly this is everyone except well off white folk. Even the middle and poor class whites will be getting poo poo on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

Until they shoot their spouse or child on accident. A lot of the arguments don't stop being plausible just because the group changed

People who accidentally shoot others with guns are morons who shouldn't be trusted with them.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

Sorry, I misremembered, it was 22%: http://www.newsweek.com/us-gun-ownership-declines-312822?piano_t=1

32% of households have at least one gun, but only 22% of people own any guns. 35% of men own a gun, and only 12% of women do. Incidentally the income group with highest household ownership rates? $90,000+, with 44% of those households owning guns.

There was also a separate survey out there that the determined the majority of the 300 million plus guns in private hands in this country are owned by a small percentage of the people who own guns - since most people who do own guns tend to only own one or two guns, with shotguns and simple traditional riles the most common. Since those are the most useful guns to people who need to have a gun.

Not that i want to support the fear=needs a gun thing or to use it as your only defense, but on the plus side it might make a lot more moderate people on the issue and lead to actual legislation further down the road

quote:

Yes! No self-respecting leader would want to be silent on this shameful spasm of bitterness being acted out in their name!

3 posted on 11/11/2016, 6:11:57 AM by Genoa (Luke 12:2)

AAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Lest we forget the last eight years. loving lolz, what the poo poo

quote:

Or Obama could order in the Nat’l Guard and perform mass arrests of the angry snowflakes.

7 posted on 11/11/2016, 8:18:19 AM by Zarro (Oh, we don't call them the "MSM" any longer; they are now the "Basket of Detestables")

Freper America, land of the authoritarian power, and the home of the chickenhawks

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 11, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The short version is that I'll take a theoretical increased chance of accidentally blowing my fiancee's brains out on the assumption that I'm an idiot over actually having us unable to defend ourselves if someone sees her do something gay in public while wearing a pentagram necklace and decides "Cool, let's gently caress them up."

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

:wtc:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

The short version is that I'll take a theoretical increased chance of accidentally blowing my fiancee's brains out on the assumption that I'm an idiot over actually having us unable to defend ourselves if someone sees her do something gay in public while wearing a pentagram necklace and decides "Cool, let's gently caress them up."
Listen to me carefully, I've no idea who you are or what your history is so I'm going to tell you that this comes from a real and genuine place: just not being an idiot does NOT make you immune from gun accidents. It does not give you a magic shield and each and every single person ever shot by accident thought that they were smart enough to handle the responsibility.
Get a gun, get two, but you treat them with care and respect and KNOW that accidents happen every second of every day to people that were too smart to have them. "Smart" doesn't always translate to "safe".

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

There's about 74,000 accidental shootings every year. 500 or so are lethal.
You can likely chalk a large portion of that up to idiots. But that's what you get in a culture that makes guns cool toys through movies and poo poo, but doesn't teach anyone anything about them unless the person goes looking for themselves. We really should have a class taught in school like driver's ed

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's not even being dumb though. I mean that's part of it but it's more the fear that can make you irrational, and guns give you a potentially lethal way to act on that fear.

Maybe we should have a separate thread on this because it's sort of an interesting topic to see a leftward trend of wanting a gun now and even REGULAR gun discussion is extremely disruptive.

It's like everyone is now thinking Le Jackal was right all along.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SocketWrench posted:

There's about 74,000 accidental shootings every year. 500 or so are lethal.
You can likely chalk a large portion of that up to idiots. But that's what you get in a culture that makes guns cool toys through movies and poo poo, but doesn't teach anyone anything about them unless the person goes looking for themselves. We really should have a class taught in school like driver's ed
no loving poo poo

"These people are literally going to be facing death by walking down the street"

"Careful! Guns aren't toys!"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

holy gently caress :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Wait wait wait, Trump is already turning around and suggesting he won't repeal obamacare but saying he likes a lot of stuff in that bill :raise:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fathis Munk posted:

Wait wait wait, Trump is already turning around and suggesting he won't repeal obamacare but saying he likes a lot of stuff in that bill :raise:

Wait what?

Also as my dying wish please shut the gently caress up about gun chat in this thread you fuckers.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Trump likes main Obamacare provisions 'very much' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37953528

quote:

US President-elect Donald Trump has said in an interview he is open to leaving intact key parts of President Barack Obama's healthcare bill.

quote:

Mr Trump told the Journal it was his hour-and-a-half meeting with Mr Obama that hadmade him reconsider his calls for an all-out repeal of the Affordable Care Act.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Man, my optimistic predictions actually coming true?!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duke Igthorn posted:

Listen to me carefully, I've no idea who you are or what your history is so I'm going to tell you that this comes from a real and genuine place: just not being an idiot does NOT make you immune from gun accidents. It does not give you a magic shield and each and every single person ever shot by accident thought that they were smart enough to handle the responsibility.
Get a gun, get two, but you treat them with care and respect and KNOW that accidents happen every second of every day to people that were too smart to have them. "Smart" doesn't always translate to "safe".

I've been a firearm owner since 2011. I just don't own a handgun. Calm down.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

please shut the gently caress up about gun chat in this thread you fuckers.

Also :rip: whatever happened to you :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Fathis Munk posted:

Also :rip: whatever happened to you :patriot:

Toxx clause for election. Lots of permabans today.