Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Got my copy of Vanuatu 2nd Ed. and it the whole thing has been a quality kickstarter.
Timely turnaround, great components (the chits are so thick), a pile of extra bags, 4 copies of the rulebook (easier than separating localized ones I guess!), great art, and what everyone says is a tense but good ruleset.

Everything I thought my copy of Bora Bora would be, but you know, playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I got my "The Works" copy of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles board game yesterday. Looks pretty cool! Hopefully it's actually fun, if it is, I'll probably commission a friend to paint the minis.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

thegodofchuck posted:

Whereabouts are you? I went allll in on this one myself (even went in on the RPG for the extra board game goodness), hoping to see an arrival soon.

I received my Conan last week and I live in rural Oregon. I was not as impressed with the minis as the previous backer above, but I can see how that could be a personal taste thing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Are there any good resources for first time RPG kickstarters? I'm thinking of writing an adventure for one or more pre-existing systems open systems and running a kickstarter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Are there any good resources for first time RPG kickstarters? I'm thinking of writing an adventure for one or more pre-existing systems open systems and running a kickstarter.

I know Kevin Crawford has written some advice, maybe on his blog?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

These are not specific to nerdy kickstarters, but might help you nonetheless:
http://guywindsor.net/blog/2014/05/three-principles-of-successful-crowdfunding/
http://guywindsor.net/blog/2016/03/crowdfunding-a-book-behind-the-scenes-in-gory-detail/

But first you gotta ask yourself, why kickstart it?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

you could float it on DriveThru and see how it goes. if anyone bites then write more

then again you can get a bit more out of a successful KS campaign, but goddamn it's a lot of work for little if any financial reward

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo Kingdom Death.

EDIT: To expand, Kingdom Death still owed people a "Lantern Festival". It was being worked on but there would be an update on it... which was pushed later and later with more and more silence. Until it was just canceled out of the blue because the developer didn't want to work on it?
They did refund the cost which good, great, okay. But if you don't want your refund you can buy a shirt that basically says "yeah, we don't want to make this".

But look forward to their next kickstarter! I'm sure everything will be just fine. Hey look, more models with huge tits!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 7, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Arivia posted:

I know Kevin Crawford has written some advice, maybe on his blog?

He put it here if you don't mind getting a free PDF from DTRPG: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/143764/The-Sandbox-1

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My newest kickstarter, Panic at the Dojo, is halfway through and still not funded! Please give it a look, and check out the downloadable previews. There is also an actual play episode of the first encounter in the preview adventure, and another episode starring the second encounter will be out tomorrow.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thegodofchuck posted:

Whereabouts are you? I went allll in on this one myself (even went in on the RPG for the extra board game goodness), hoping to see an arrival soon.

SF Bay Area, in California.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

gnome7 posted:

My newest kickstarter, Panic at the Dojo, is halfway through and still not funded! Please give it a look, and check out the downloadable previews. There is also an actual play episode of the first encounter in the preview adventure, and another episode starring the second encounter will be out tomorrow.

already backed it! Good luck. Usually there's some sort of pickup near the end, so there's still a pretty good chance of it funding.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Dark Souls boardgame will be shipped in two waves, instead of everything in April 2017:
Core game in March 2017, all expansions and stretch goals in November 2017.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I saw that in their update today as well. Was this the first time that the multi-wave shipping has been mentioned? Feels a bit disingenuous to have stuck by the "We're shipping in April, promise!" thing this whole time if they intended to split things up like this.

But whatever, it at least makes sense as to how they plan on handling it. I was pretty confused how they expected to manufacture and deliver the volume that campaign generated on time. I was planning to purchase all the add-on models and such at retail anyway, so not a huge deal. "Stretch goals" coming later is annoying, but again, whatever. I'm not one to get too bent out of shape over KS stuff like this. As long as it gets done, and is well produced, I'm content. I'm already expecting the game to be average at best, so may as well just make sure they get poo poo right.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Merauder posted:

I saw that in their update today as well. Was this the first time that the multi-wave shipping has been mentioned? Feels a bit disingenuous to have stuck by the "We're shipping in April, promise!" thing this whole time if they intended to split things up like this.

But whatever, it at least makes sense as to how they plan on handling it. I was pretty confused how they expected to manufacture and deliver the volume that campaign generated on time. I was planning to purchase all the add-on models and such at retail anyway, so not a huge deal. "Stretch goals" coming later is annoying, but again, whatever. I'm not one to get too bent out of shape over KS stuff like this. As long as it gets done, and is well produced, I'm content. I'm already expecting the game to be average at best, so may as well just make sure they get poo poo right.

I think they haven't mentioned it before. Ah well, at least we get the core game early, sucks about having to wait for those sweet sweet stretch goal rewards though. Still, seems as if the game will be delivered, which is the most important part.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I got Conan over the weekend as well. I'm probably gonna sell it. It's nice but it's unstoreable in the box they give you and I am not interested in dropping 3 hours and another 30 bucks on a storage solution.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Anyone happen to have a copy of Secret Hitler they're looking to get rid of? I missed out on the kickstarter and would like to accuse my friends of being crypto-lizardman fascists with fancy boxes and bits.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Commissar Canuck posted:

Anyone happen to have a copy of Secret Hitler they're looking to get rid of? I missed out on the kickstarter and would like to accuse my friends of being crypto-lizardman fascists with fancy boxes and bits.

Make a print and play, it works just fine.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Many people on the DS Kickstarter page are angry because the shipping costs are much higher than anticipated. I myself was also considering an extra expansion, but the extra shipping now eats up that budget...
The big thing is that they represent it as "higher now, but free in October", but many feel as if the shipping for October is still included in the initial shipping costs, and is still higher than anticipated.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Shipping costs fluctuate and that's why no sane KS factors them into pledge levels any more, I'm not sure why anyone is still shocked by this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Mega Man Pixel Tactics Kickstarter just added a handful of social media locked stretch goal cards.

Just go Like their page to contribute to the unlocks!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Last day for Upwind, a fantasy RPG with cool card based game mechanics that lets you resolve entire encounters in a few minutes: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1875712273/upwind-rpg-treasure-planet-meets-studio-ghibli/description

quote:

Imagine Bakshi’s classic animated film Wizards has a head-on collision with Disney’s Treasure Planet and the resulting fire is put out with a whole lot of Studio Ghibli’s Castle in the Sky. That, in an unexpected, animated mash-up, is Upwind.

Upwind is a narrative style RPG set in a strange alternate world of floating island nations, flying sailing ships, long-lost technology, wild elemental powers, looming war and forgotten legacies.

Upwind is powered by the Q system, an original stakes-based, playing card-driven mechanic that gives every encounter consequences with meaningful, narrative-building outcomes. With its unique bidding rules, Upwind plays as fast as you can tell your story.

It's unlocked a bunch of stretch goals, including a campaign written by me (you can hear the playtest version on RPPR Actual Play http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/systems/upwind/

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Thoughts on The Edge? Love the models, wondering what else people might know about it

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007

Signal posted:

Thoughts on The Edge? Love the models, wondering what else people might know about it

I jumped in and backed the £150 box, purely because of the minis. The gameplay looks really fun from what I've seen, and changing from a mini game (their last Edge KS) to a board game gives it some breathing space from other miniature skirmish games. You don't need 2 people to collect armies and paint them if one person has the board game set, and it seems to be more pick up and play then before.

Uncertain about whether to get resin minis, might be a bit of a waste of money as additional minis.

Not sure how it's going to match up against the Dark Souls board game though...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

The Mega Man Pixel Tactics Kickstarter just added a handful of social media locked stretch goal cards.

Just go Like their page to contribute to the unlocks!

My Son is a super huge Mega Man fan, so I backed this for him, kind of as a Holiday present, and so he can experience the, uh, wonders of Kickstarter. Is the game actually any good? I picked up some other actually released pixel tactics for him to learn first and have something on the actual present opening day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My Son is a super huge Mega Man fan, so I backed this for him, kind of as a Holiday present, and so he can experience the, uh, wonders of Kickstarter. Is the game actually any good? I picked up some other actually released pixel tactics for him to learn first and have something on the actual present opening day.

Its biggest problem is that it can be incredibly swingy in terms of balance. But individual matches are over quick enough and the replay value is high enough that I've found that the occasional match where one side can curbstomp the other ends up more humorous than frustrating. A sort of "Wait, you can do what to all my units??" incredulousness rather than being overly frustrating.

Plus, generally speaking, the later sets are better balanced than the older ones, so the new Mega Man cards will probably be pretty well balanced against each other.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So if I back the Mega Man Pixel Tactics with the tier that just has 2 copies of the same cards are the two teams going to be too similar every time I play? I'm willing to bump up to get both the Red and blue packs but I'm wondering if it's needed right away?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

LordAba posted:

Holy poo poo Kingdom Death.

EDIT: To expand, Kingdom Death still owed people a "Lantern Festival". It was being worked on but there would be an update on it... which was pushed later and later with more and more silence. Until it was just canceled out of the blue because the developer didn't want to work on it?
They did refund the cost which good, great, okay. But if you don't want your refund you can buy a shirt that basically says "yeah, we don't want to make this".

But look forward to their next kickstarter! I'm sure everything will be just fine. Hey look, more models with huge tits!

Is there a thread about this game? Or is it too "ew boobs!" for this place? News of the failed cancelled expansion made me look into it and it looks sweet but can't seem to find a thread.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Det_no posted:

Is there a thread about this game? Or is it too "ew boobs!" for this place? News of the failed cancelled expansion made me look into it and it looks sweet but can't seem to find a thread.

There's no thread for it.

IMO, the concept is interesting in parts, but it's super swingy with everything. Everything is resolved through dice rolls and there's no real way to mitigate a bad roll once it hits the table. All players can do is generally anticipate risk where they can and deal with the fallout when they can't. Combat is even worse as hit locations upon damage resolution is generally randomized. Roll to defend, roll to hit, roll to see if it deals damage. The damage system and how the bosses (the only thing you actually fight) work is pretty interesting as they are basically on autopilot through a deck of cards and dealing damage removes cards from that deck, limiting the opponent's abilities the more damage is dealt.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Det_no posted:

lol

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Does not wanting to play out anime rape fantasies with creepy neckbeards mean I'm "ew, boobs"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Det_no posted:

Just so you know, one of the minis for Kingdom Death includes a woman's decapitated body being used as furniture. Goreans think it's demeaning to women.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Jedit posted:

Just so you know, one of the minis for Kingdom Death includes a woman's decapitated body being used as furniture. Goreans think it's demeaning to women.

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know this was something SENSITIVE :smuggo:"

For real though, how edgy can you get

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This is pretty wild guys, but I am a fan of boobs and a fan of not having rape statuary in my home.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

This is pretty wild guys, but I am a fan of boobs and a fan of not having rape statuary in my home.

You prude. How can you live with yourself?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arivia posted:

You prude. How can you live with yourself?
Surrounded by happy anime titty statues, like any red blooded American.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

There's no thread for it.

IMO, the concept is interesting in parts, but it's super swingy with everything. Everything is resolved through dice rolls and there's no real way to mitigate a bad roll once it hits the table. All players can do is generally anticipate risk where they can and deal with the fallout when they can't. Combat is even worse as hit locations upon damage resolution is generally randomized. Roll to defend, roll to hit, roll to see if it deals damage. The damage system and how the bosses (the only thing you actually fight) work is pretty interesting as they are basically on autopilot through a deck of cards and dealing damage removes cards from that deck, limiting the opponent's abilities the more damage is dealt.

So good bosses with poo poo combat? Sounds like 50/50.

Jedit posted:

Oh dear is he the bad guy? Everything I read mentioned kickstarter scantly clad bonus figures but nothing about all the rape or mutilation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kingdom Death the game, even without the skeezy poo poo that permeates it (one of the enemies/bosses is some kind of spider that's dangling a limbless woman's torso from a skewer like some sort of anglerfish) is one of those games that confuses "lol you rolled bad so you die instantly" with "challenge.". It's packed full of randomness you have no way of mitigating in parts besides rolling better I guess.

The boss concept is interesting but also flawed in that the damage dealt is randomized and thus there isn't really some Dark Souls ish pattern for you to learn from. If you're unlucky then what can happen is you remove weaker cards from the boss' deck and then congratulations, it's now going to spam its strongest attacks over and over since you took out everything else for it to do.

It's not a good game. It maybe has the kernel of an interesting idea buried beneath the randomness and gratuitous tits and weird rapemonsters but it's not worth buying and/or playing it for.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I'm biased as the former Pixel Tactics GenCon champion, but it's a lot of fun. It's kind of swingy because the effects of cards can get pretty wild, but relies on doing 2-out-of-3 (or more) matches to mitigate that. I really like all the tough tactical choices positioning presents. I can't say with certainty, but Mega Man at least gets to come in a late period of development where they know how to balance the game better than they did in early sets.

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, dumb tit poo poo aside, I liked the grim idea of humans struggling against a monster-infested world, but ultimately what I've seen seemed to be rolling a lot of tables for random stuff and then having a fight that may be affected by that random stuff. People talked it up to me at GenCon so maybe there's something I'm missing, but it mostly felt like a game where the only thing to do tactically is memorize the card decks to know their effects and to card count and act based on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Playing Pixel Tactics as a draft also mitigates some of the luck. I forget which release had the draft rules, though.