Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Aston posted:

Is it worth crafting commons in this game or do you tend to get them quickly enough anyway?

I ended up crafting about 10 or so commons to get my sword aggro deck rolling. It depends on how key they are to how your deck functions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Golden Battler posted:

You know I always wonder what's going through my opponents' heads when I start my Solitaire victory play.

I'm glad to know it's exactly as frustrating as I was hoping.

I just sort of sigh and hope they screw up.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

I just sort of sigh and hope they screw up.

I mean, I am ok with some decks having 1-turn kills. But D-Shift takes so loving long to kill you while the other player is doing their rubik-cube BS. This game definitely needs that dragon Heartstone has that reduces the time you have to play, just make it an angel with big tits and a misshapen spine or something and it'll fit. It's just bullshit that apparently you have 90 seconds to play with your own rear end in a top hat, two or three times in a row.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Just started up, and I drew:
Odin
Enstatued seraph x2
Alexander
Fafnir
Forte

What's the consensus here?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Save it and keep rerolling

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just out-midranged a midrange sword deck with cheap banner sword. They resolved Otohime, Aurelia, and Frontguard Commander (or whatever the guy's name is) and I was just outvaluing the guy the whole time. A strong early curve, the p/t matching up just right to be able to play banner without tempo disadvantage, and then hitting my Viking/Pirate commands at just the right time, followed by Conscription digging up token makers. Out-valuing that guy shouldn't really be happening but I guess if your draws are just right you can do it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
this is kind of a fun read:

https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/node/3676

I like that dshift only has a positive winrate in one class matchup and only at master level

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zoness posted:

this is kind of a fun read:

https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/node/3676

I like that dshift only has a positive winrate in one class matchup and only at master level

What I'm getting from this is that, unless you're one of a few extremely aggressive decks, it seems like going second is an advantage. I guess the extra evolution is powerful.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The extra evolve but imo also that you get it turn 4. There's loads of big plays you want to do with evolve on turn 4 and the tempo you got from going first tends to get hosed up if you have to hold something til 5.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, almost every class has a huge turn 4 evolve play. Looking at the patch notes, it seems the extra card draw was added later to compensate for the 2nd player evolve bonuses not being enough on their own, but I wonder if the addition of these super-evolve cards in Darkness Evolved shifted the balance too far. It does seem like letting both players evolve on turn 4 would smooth out a lot of the wild divergence.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

trucutru posted:

What I'm getting from this is that, unless you're one of a few extremely aggressive decks, it seems like going second is an advantage. I guess the extra evolution is powerful.

He'll, I just prefer 2nd to minimize having a dead hand wallet early on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's taken me entirely too long to realize that it's easier to deal with Storm Haven when you petrify their first double-animal amulet.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you're an A-rank rune who did that to a B3 Storm Haven last night, fight me. But no really yeah it is very effective.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nah, I'm also B3.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Clarste posted:

It's taken me entirely too long to realize that it's easier to deal with Storm Haven when you petrify their first double-animal amulet.

But it's so much better when you do it to an Elana's Prayer. And absolutely delightful when you do it to an Enstatued Seraph.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sophism posted:

But it's so much better when you do it to an Elana's Prayer. And absolutely delightful when you do it to an Enstatued Seraph.

Elana's Prayer is good, but not AS good, imo. They're pretty likely to just keep healing up until they pull another one, while for Storm it stops their momentum completely.

Edit: That sure is a hand I have:

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 11, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also I've literally never had a petrify in my hand when Enstatued Seraph comes out. Not because I'm using them all up, but just because this game is the most RNG thing ever.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

trucutru posted:

I can't say I'm surprised

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Climbing through the dregs of D rank I've encounter 3 types of players:

1.) Ones who have no idea how to play or deck synergy

2.) Ones that know how to play but losing because I have a better deck thanks to pure luck. 8 days of playing, no money spent and I have a 28k vial swordcraft deck.

3.) People who only play Haven, use nothing but healing cards, that card that buffs allies when healed, play the Exodia card and then banish all your monsters the moment you get any tempo seriously what the gently caress. Priest of the Cudgel is goddamn stupid.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Lord Ephraim posted:

Climbing through the dregs of D rank I've encounter 3 types of players:

1.) Ones who have no idea how to play or deck synergy

2.) Ones that know how to play but losing because I have a better deck thanks to pure luck. 8 days of playing, no money spent and I have a 28k vial swordcraft deck.

3.) People who only play Haven, use nothing but healing cards, that card that buffs allies when healed, play the Exodia card and then banish all your monsters the moment you get any tempo seriously what the gently caress. Priest of the Cudgel is goddamn stupid.

I will admit to being the 3rd type of player. The only thing I don't have is Elana, but otherwise, I do all the rest. Also Garudas all day and every day.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
this was a perfectly fair and reasonable thing to do in take two:

this deck is actually absurdly poorly composed (angel crusher picked against keen enchantment + well of destiny :negative:) but given that it's a sword deck I can probably freeroll a few more wins

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Hey guys, I downloaded this game and have been rerolling for a few hours. I got:

2 Dragonsong Flutes
2 Sun Oracles Pascale
1 Bloody Mary
1 Odin
1 Alexander
1 Aurelia Regal Saber
1 Cerberus
1 Lord of the Flies
1 Rose Queen

I mostly intend to play Shadowcraft. Is it worth keeping?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have gotten to A rank and I still have no idea what a Shadowcraft deck is supposed to look like.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

so is there a pity timer or am i just cursed to never get a legend again? i've had terrible luck after my first roll.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I just got my first 5-0 (FINALLY) playing Runecraft of all things. MVP goes to the fire mage card that does one damage to everyone when casting a spell (three copies drafted) and plenty of removal.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Snicker-Snack posted:

Hey guys, I downloaded this game and have been rerolling for a few hours. I got:

2 Dragonsong Flutes
2 Sun Oracles Pascale
1 Bloody Mary
1 Odin
1 Alexander
1 Aurelia Regal Saber
1 Cerberus
1 Lord of the Flies
1 Rose Queen

I mostly intend to play Shadowcraft. Is it worth keeping?

That's fine

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

so is there a pity timer or am i just cursed to never get a legend again? i've had terrible luck after my first roll.

There is none. Welcome to hell.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Clarste posted:

I have gotten to A rank and I still have no idea what a Shadowcraft deck is supposed to look like.

You can start by having 3 Cerberus. There's never been a Shadowcraft deck that isn't made better by adding 3 Cerberus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I see a lot of hype for Cerberus, but it's never really impressed me when played against me. I guess there's a lot of flexibility in how you spread its value around, but everyone who plays it just shoots me in the face for 2 and accomplishes nothing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I see a lot of hype for Cerberus, but it's never really impressed me when played against me. I guess there's a lot of flexibility in how you spread its value around, but everyone who plays it just shoots me in the face for 2 and accomplishes nothing.

she's never impressive on her own but the flexibility makes everything else really good

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
Holy hell. I just hit D2 and I'm running into literally nothing but japanese players playing the nun deck with a billion drawpower, and ridiculous swing turns. It's like playing against shaman in HS, nothing but board clear and giant swing turns. It gets old real quick. I would kill for counter-spells or some sort of "hey, I know what the hell you're doing and I'm going to plan for it and make you pay" phase. I really wish magic's counterspells translated better into an online platform.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 12, 2016

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
What are considered to be good arena classes? I've played every class at least once and dragoncraft the most. I've gone 5-0 a few times with dragon and 3-2 or 4-1 with the others.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
weird because at B0/B1 I only run into sword, fairy and aggro vampy, which are fun matchups to play

but when I was climbing out of C I ran into a lot of haven

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
... note to self, pay attention to whether an amulet activates upon destruction when you try to destroy it :cry:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

Holy hell. I just hit D2 and I'm running into literally nothing but japanese players playing the nun deck with a billion drawpower, and ridiculous swing turns. It's like playing against shaman in HS, nothing but board clear and giant swing turns. It gets old real quick. I would kill for counter-spells or some sort of "hey, I know what the hell you're doing and I'm going to plan for it and make you pay" phase. I really wish magic's counterspells translated better into an online platform.

Face Dragon will take you to A no problem.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Eej posted:

Face Dragon will take you to A no problem.

Please elaborate. I've been playing this game for like one day, and I play mostly Mid-range sword. Since it's the only deck I could come up with that relates to my other card game niches.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Decks like Face Dragon and Banner Sword are just straight forward aggro decks so if you can maintain 51% winrate you'll climb to B0 no problem on the back of winstreaks and then hopefully by the time you're there you'll be able to increase your win rate so you can grind to A.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You don't need 51%. You earn more points for winning than you lose for losing, so throw in win streak bonuses and you could probably advance with a significantly sub-50 win rate. It would just take forever.

Edit: Control Haven (usually called Elana for the card that buffs followers when you heal) is weak against fast, aggressive decks.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 12, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I was 2 damage away from going 5-0 in arena. The last match I got stuck against Sword (of course), stuck going first, and didn't draw either of my haymakers (I actually didn't see Gabriel for the entire arena). And I still got them down to 18-2. Then they drew a billion wards while my outs decided to go get beers or something. So bummed. Fun shadow deck though. That one that gives you shadows when people evolve is so vicious if you can keep it safe a couple turns and ESPECIALLY if you have board advantage, because then THEY probably have to feed you shadows just to make it stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm kind of curious where they take Blood because they've got a solid aggro deck despite getting zero or near-zero use out of the class mechanic.

• Locked thread