Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, because the way the game calculates how close it is to players is by looking at how close it is to their feet. Not a big enough difference in damage to matter most of the time though.

Interesting. I guess if you have the luxury, you should always detonate at the ground then? (I usually find myself jumping all over the place with the tire and usually detonate it from above, which I guess is bad)

Dumb question: is there a place to share statistics? It's pretty embarrassing to share my own as I'm not very good, but it would be interesting to see how other people around my skill level (or above, I suppose) perform or what I should be improving in. I noticed masteroverwatch.com even show what percentile you're in for certain statistics and if nothing else it would be interesting to see how people differ :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can just post your numbers here if you want to talk about numbers. you might think the tryhard thread would be the place for that kind of thing but you'll just get told that stats don't matter if you do it there, tho I doubt the chill thread cares one way or the other

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something interesting I noted about Sombra while watching a video of someone playing her on PTR quickplay is that because damage interrupts both her hack and her cloak, Widowmaker's venom mine is actually a surprisingly nasty thing to run into as Sombra since it effectively locks you out of your abilities for the duration.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

poison: nature's hacking

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Does widowmakers ultimate also show her position if she cloaks?

That along with her small hitbox could mean she's supposed to counter Sombra.

I need to play her myself but that would be cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're invisible when widow uses her ult, the game warns you about how your cloak has been compromised

she is really not a counter to sombra tho

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Thoughtless posted:

I don't understand how attack Torbs get to platinum rank to begin with.

I've never seen that strategy work.

Yeah, even at the Bronze/Silver border I'm at, I've just never seen it work. It's most hilarious when people try it on Numbani point A, where you have perfect eyesight of all the points of attack if you're on defense.

When I was full Bronze full time last season, though, some people did put them on payloads where they were embarrassingly effective. That is where I adopted "be your own change" and now just shoot all turrets myself, even if I'm Mercy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

VoLaTiLe posted:

Does widowmakers ultimate also show her position if she cloaks?

That along with her small hitbox could mean she's supposed to counter Sombra.

I need to play her myself but that would be cool

Yeah, Widowmaker's ult and Hanzo's sonic arrows will both reveal Sombra, who in turn gets a notification that she can be seen. I agree with Manatee that Widowmaker isn't really a "counter" to Sombra, but I found it interesting because while Blizzard has said they aren't fond of DoT effects for some reason and intent to keep them minimal, it does keep the design space open for some sort of hero or ability which is more of a direct counter to Sombra in the future.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://giant.gfycat.com/InfatuatedSandyInganue.mp4

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speaking of, what are Sombra's counters considered to be? I haven't had a chance to play the PTR.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of, what are Sombra's counters considered to be? I haven't had a chance to play the PTR.

If you're a good McCree, then you're essentially fighting a slower, less squirrely version of Tracer which means you should have an easier time landing those headshots. In theory Winston seems like a pretty solid way to force Sombra to back off or risk dying as his lightning gun does continual damage which interrupts both her hacking and her stealth. She can still translocate out but zoning someone out is still useful. If you decide to chase Sombra back to a healthpack she's hacked then things might turn against you but I actually watched a video where Winston and Sombra had a 1v1 with her on the healthpack and Winston still juuuuuuust managed to kill her a millisecond before the pack respawned, though I think she was already damaged to start with. Roadhog absolutely deletes her if he lands the hook. Reaper can straight up murder her with like two shots. Basically what ruins Sombra's day is either sustained pressure that forces her to use her panic button to bug out (Winston) or high burst damage that she can't retreat out of (Roadhog, Reaper, McCree, I suppose surprise Hanzo arrows count too).

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Winston. Also, anyone who can headshot if she's camping a health pack.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I love that he has just enough time to start turning around...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ersatz posted:

Winston. Also, anyone who can headshot if she's camping a health pack.

Mei is also probably a bear that Sombra wants to be careful about poking because while hacking Mei can be funny in that it locks out her wall and iceblock, Mei's M2 does insane burst damage if you can land headshots and her M1 is similar to Winston's gun in that it mitigates your hack and your cloak, plus it slows you, and Mei has a bit more HP than your typical squishy character to chunk through...Sombra's gun does about 120 DPS which means even in a 1v1 Mei has like 2+ seconds to respond to you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nothing really hard counters sombra but she's not the best at killing dudes either. some heroes have an easy time dealing with her if they know she's there but a lot of them are in for some trouble if she hacks them first. it's not as easy to hack people as you might expect since it's reset if you take damage, but she has good tools for making people look like morons. you can check ruggington's gif there for confirmation of that

mccree and reaper dunk on sombra because of how strong their guns are and if she's dumb enough to try hacking them then she can use her trip back to the spawn queue to regret her poor life choices. hacking is better against heroes who rely a lot on their active abilities to win fights, such as genji, pharah, or tracer (tho obviously they're harder to hack than most). sombra's not about fighting 1v1s with the dps guys tho and her gun's the worst of the offensive class, barring genji if you can hack him first. mei and hanzo can be a pain for sombra as well. on the tank side, roadhog's really dangerous since hacking him puts her in oneshot range and otherwise he can hook you and and murder you. winston's good at zoning her out but if she hacks you first, you're in a lot of trouble

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My problem with playing Mei is that since I find ice walls from my teammates to be annoying 90% of the time, I am hesitant to use them when I play myself, but it seems to hurt your ult charge if you aren't throwing up walls as often as you can, and when I play her I really just do so for her ult.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rick posted:

My problem with playing Mei is that since I find ice walls from my teammates to be annoying 90% of the time, I am hesitant to use them when I play myself, but it seems to hurt your ult charge if you aren't throwing up walls as often as you can, and when I play her I really just do so for her ult.

I'd say don't worry so much about it. You're going to be in tons of situations where you've gotta make a snap judgement call ("are these enemies trying to retreat and regroup, or are they about to push at our weak point?" etc. etc.), and it's only natural you're going to make bad calls. But it's an even worse call to hesitate in situations where you need to use it. Just keep playing her, and you'll ideally learn the enemy team's tells and react accordingly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The best part of Ruggington's gif is it shows him using every part of Sombra's kit in one clip.

Manatee Cannon posted:

winston's good at zoning her out but if she hacks you first, you're in a lot of trouble

I feel like if you're playing Winston and you know a Sombra is around part of the key to coming out ahead is going to involve good use of your shield. If you have it and can slap it down when Sombra goes to engage you've more or less presented her with an extremely unfavorable situation since she can't hack through it and gives you time to jump and lightning gun her, otherwise you need to rely on being able to start zapping her before she can hack you.

edit; re: Mei and ice walls, I don't think walls have anything to do with ult charge? You don't get ult for blocking damage with them I'm pretty sure, and the best way to farm ult with Mei is M2 headshots anyway. Here's the key to using ice walls well, if you activate the ability a second time it breaks the wall early. If you can remember that then you're automatically better than 90% of the Meis out there.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Rick posted:

It's so much fun separating supports and tanks from their deathballs. using it as a ladder is pretty useful too

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mei's wall is great for cock blocking people from attempting to escape or run for a medkit.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Basically the prime way to use Mei's wall is to identify a point where the enemy team is likely to be pushing through and use it to separate someone from the herd...when the red team's Zarya or Reinhardt comes pushing down the main path on King's Row when you're defending, wall them off from their team and then you and your team get to have a 6v1, then after that you have a 6v5 with them down a tank. Rinse repeat. Add liberal use of M2 headshots when possible, plus your iceblock self-heal charges your ult as well, and at least until the global ult charge time increase goes through you can have Blizzard available for every single teamfight. Do this until people start calling you unkind names in the chat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think I can manage that. I have been using it vertically to sandwhich people against one part of the choke on payloads, but usually the maps where people let me do that it's just easier to pick at them with M2.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I've actually had good success against Sombra on the PTR as Mercy. If the Sombra uncloaks and engages at very close range then there's enough of a delay to fly away before a hack lands or the bullets start hurting. If she engages at max hack range then her uzi spread combined with Mercy's thin hitbox actually gives Mercy the DPS advantage and it's just a question of who can shoot more accurately. If the Mercy backpedals out of LOS, being forced to pursue through a stream of projectiles puts the Sombra in a seriously unfavorable position.

Of course, that's all assuming the Mercy is at high health to begin with. The smart Sombras I've seen won't start shooting until I'm already low and/or actively engaged with an agile flanker like Genji or Tracer.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Doe's Mei even have a hard counter? She's probably one of the safest characters/easiest characters to play if she's got a good team.

I think every ranked loss i've had in the last few days is because the other team has a good Mei and my teams mei keeps walking into a mcree.

Duck and Cover posted:

It's more likely that they just didn't absolutely dominate which tends to be the equivalent of being terrible. I'll let you in on a little secret I'm ranked where I am doing things like attack Torb so uh get better and you won't see me.

I spend most of the game with this guy (and my team) healing him with Lucio. It got to the point where the other team asked if he was trolling/had he landed a single hook all game :v: I assume he was having an off game and was too stubborn to switch it up.

Also I was at 3100 when I saw attack torb so I don't know how high I have to get to not see that bullshit but it seems that the limit is pretty loving high. I dunno, its just been a bad few days of ranked for me, but my original goal was diamond so I'm not that disappointed that I couldn't get to master, especially since I started last week.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rick posted:

Wait, do ice walls build ult charge for Mei? That seems weird, since they don't do damage.

As for using them, don't worry too much about it. You can dismiss an ice wall early by just pressing the ice wall again, so if you screw up and put it in your team's way you can just get rid of it.

The big trick to the ice wall is to use it to split people up. Running around alone and run into two people? Drop an ice wall between them and 1v1 the weaker ones. Enemy Rein a little too far forward? Drop an ice wall between him and his team to strand him alone. Enemy Lucio or Ana hanging back a little too much? Drop an ice wall in front of them to separate them from their team. If you can turn a 6v6 into a 6v4 or a 6v3 for a few seconds, you're making a difference.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Wait, do ice walls build ult charge for Mei? That seems weird, since they don't do damage.
If the enemy team absent mindedly shoots at them, it builds your ult.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I refuse to believe that. No other barrier ingame awards ult for absorbed damage.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

IronDoge posted:

If the enemy team absent mindedly shoots at them, it builds your ult.

...no they don't.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

dogstile posted:

Doe's Mei even have a hard counter? She's probably one of the safest characters/easiest characters to play if she's got a good team.
Like about 90% of the heroes the answer to this is McCree at long range, Reaper at short range.

I know they're not exactly hard counters, but there aren't really that many hard counters in the game. Winston v Reaper, D.Va v Zarya and....

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Let's nip in this the bud, Mei's wall does not build ult at all.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The only thing I can think of is that mei gets a spray for blocking damage with her wall and somehow that got twisted somewhere along the line

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Here's one I wonder about: if I Zarya bubble a Reinhardt and people should his shield, do I build charge?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

The only thing I can think of is that mei gets a spray for blocking damage with her wall and somehow that got twisted somewhere along the line

It's probably because she gets fire for "blocking" when people shoot the wall which people assumed help gain ult early on and then it just stuck

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Here's one I wonder about : if I Zarya bubble a Reinhardt and people should his shield, do I build charge?
I think you can. The bubble extends past the shield a bit and I am sure I have gotten charge from it before. Its not ideal though either way.

E: they'd have to shoot the bubble part and not the very edge, obviously.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Nope, bubbling a shielding Rein does not build charge.

/ninja edit: Unless he's hit with something that goes through his shield, like Winston's gun, Sym's balls or a Firestrike.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 11, 2016

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Redundant posted:

I think you can. The bubble extends past the shield a bit and I am sure I have gotten charge from it before. Its not ideal though either way.

E: they'd have to shoot the bubble part and not the very edge, obviously.

See, I was always told that you don't actually have to shoot the little edge that sticks beyond Reinhardt's shield because the bubble is just a visual indicator that "this person has Zarya's shield" and as long as you're hitting Rein (his model or his shield) while he's bubbled, Zarya will get charge.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Nope, bubbling a shielding Rein does not build charge.

/ninja edit: Unless he's hit with something that goes through his shield, like Winston's gun, Sym's balls or a Firestrike.

And this is saying she doesn't at all. I can't say I've really ever paid attention because I'm trash with Zarya, so I don't really know for sure what's correct.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that particular myth has been circulating around since the game's beta days. not sure if it happened to work that way in some ancient build and the rumor kept perpetuating ever since or what

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cowcaster posted:

that particular myth has been circulating around since the game's beta days. not sure if it happened to work that way in some ancient build and the rumor kept perpetuating ever since or what

I think it's mostly people not realising the Rein they're bubbling had been hit with something that goes through shields and thinking "oh hey, he had his shield up and I built charge!".

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think it's mostly people not realising the Rein they're bubbling had been hit with something that goes through shields and thinking "oh hey, he had his shield up and I built charge!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdWlBZrUpLc

Here's a video of people shooting the bubble that clips through Rein's shield and gaining charge. From 45 seconds onwards. Not sure if they've changed it since this video is a few months old, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jeza posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdWlBZrUpLc

Here's a video of people shooting the bubble that clips through Rein's shield and gaining charge. From 45 seconds onwards. Not sure if they've changed it since this video is a few months old, however.

we're not talking about that, there's a persistent urban legend that if you bubble a reinhardt, shooting reinhardt's shield in any location will build zarya's charge.