Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

mike jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I grew up in the most blood red area of the most blood red state that went for Trump (southern coalfields of WV).

I'll give you a little bit of insight: No one wants to be a loving coal miner in WV. It's poo poo work, your union doesn't have your back half the time (if you're in a union mine), and you're living in fear that you'll lose the one lifeline you have to a middle class life at any point.

Democrats since Carter, including Hillary, can't grasp this fact for some weird reason. You don't have to bring coal back, no one wants it back because it objectively sucks. However, you -do- have to come up with a good way for these people who are here to enjoy a middle class life. That answer is not, as bad as many people want it to be, promising them a free college education. That answer is exactly what Trump did, but you can do it in an honest way.

Appalachia could have been America's Weed Belt.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

FistEnergy posted:

Sure. I grabbed most of it from Thundercracker on page 50. Thanks buddy, for getting me to email too.

"To Whom it May Concern:

My name is XXX. I live in XXX. I've been a Democratic voter and supporter for my entire adult life. I donated for both Obama and Clinton, and voted for XXX after voting for XXX in the primary. Until Tuesday night, I considered myself a supporter of Third Way Centralism.

I mention these things to highlight the seriousness of what must be done. The party must make the right choice and back Bernie Sander's pick, Keith Ellison, for the DNC chairman, and let the Sanders wing lead the party. The credibility of establishment Democrats has been utterly destroyed. I call my own judgement into question for not heeding the populist movement that is sweeping the country and reshaping the electorate. Lower income Americans have been forgotten by a Democratic party that used to be their natural ally. We must turn our focus to raising wages for the middle and lower class and strengthening our unions. We must force Wall Street and the top 5% to pay their fair share instead of looting the last remaining wealth of our breadbasket.

If the Democratic Party unites under a common banner and fully embraces the millions of Americans who are struggling and who are fearful for their futures, we can retake our country in 2020 and return dignity, respect, and tolerance to the White House. If we instead fall into an ugly civil war between the centralist and progressive wings of the party, it will spell the end of American liberalism in its entirety.

Please do your part to convince the DNC to make the right choice. The only way out is the way forward, and to embrace the brand of populism that Mr. Sanders harnessed in 2016."

I've already heard back from my county organization and I'll see where it takes me.

Thank you so much! 😃

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

No, personality matters.

Trump could deliver on nothing in his first term other than cut taxes for the rich and remove Wall Street regulations, and he would still carry blue collar white voters by the same margin.

If we run another milquetoast? Yeah, probably.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I really have to love the petitions circulating around regarding doing away with the electoral college or trying to convince electors to change their vote.

Ain't no way in seven loving hells you're going to be able to convince the opposition to change it when they are totally winning with it. Any petition to electors to be faithless, any petitions to do it popular vote only, is trying to keep yourself busy contemplating your navel while ignoring the humongous sucking chest wound that is the fact that republicans will shortly control both houses, the white house, 69 out of 99 state legislatures, and 35 governorships.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but for fucks' sake, could we please concentrate on what would be easier to achieve?

Trying to flip EC delegates is literally rigging the electoral process. It's the dumbest loving thing to be doing right now.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Trying to flip EC delegates is literally rigging the electoral process. It's the dumbest loving thing to be doing right now.

There would be riots and I would join them.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The one bright spot in this mess is that we can finally quit pretending like 'political capital' is a thing.

Holy gently caress that pissed me off more than anything else about Obama in 2009-10.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Irony of ironies, it would have been infinitely easier for the Democrats to defend themselves after 2008 had they just passed free, universal single-payer health care, but too many dumbasses listened to the snakes in Washington who thought that what most Americans could agree with was an arcane market solution that didn't make much sense and wasn't easy to sell

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Rigging the process is all Democrats know, apparently.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also remember that these people still don't have loving healthcare because instead of passing Medicare Part E: Medicare for Everyone, we passed PPACA a - a "complex solution to a complex problem" and we were shocked, Shocked! when the GOP found a loophole in that extremely complex law that allowed them to say gently caress you to giving healthcare to the poorest people who needed that care the most.

Zoran posted:

Irony of ironies, it would have been infinitely easier for the Democrats to defend themselves after 2008 had they just passed free, universal single-payer health care, but too many dumbasses listened to the snakes in Washington who thought that what most Americans could agree with was an arcane market solution that didn't make much sense and wasn't easy to sell

loving lol that you posted this just as I was previewing my post.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The one bright spot in this mess is that we can finally quit pretending like 'political capital' is a thing.

Holy gently caress that pissed me off more than anything else about Obama in 2009-10.

The ACA was like jerking off 6 times in a row, which is why we couldn't do anything else.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Strep Vote posted:

Rigging the process is all Democrats know, apparently.

I guess they think the electoral college are basically superdelegates?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I grew up in the most blood red area of the most blood red state that went for Trump (southern coalfields of WV).

I'll give you a little bit of insight: No one wants to be a loving coal miner in WV. It's poo poo work, your union doesn't have your back half the time (if you're in a union mine), and you're living in fear that you'll lose the one lifeline you have to a middle class life at any point.

Democrats since Carter, including Hillary, can't grasp this fact for some weird reason. You don't have to bring coal back, no one wants it back because it objectively sucks. However, you -do- have to come up with a good way for these people who are here to enjoy a middle class life. That answer is not, as bad as many people want it to be, promising them a free college education. That answer is exactly what Trump did, but you can do it in an honest way.

What did Trump do other than promise to bring coal and steel back? Retraining people to work in the manufacturing jobs of the future does not appeal to anyone, and that's probably the only way out for these communities. Why do these voters vote so heavily for a Republican party that explicitly runs on all of the things that would hurt their communities even more? It's not like Berniecrats are dominating in rural America.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Thoguh posted:

I guess they think the electoral college are basically superdelegates?

Well that's what the founders wanted them for, and we all know how much these people love Hamilton.

TyrantWD posted:

What did Trump do other than promise to bring coal and steel back? Retraining people to work in the manufacturing jobs of the future does not appeal to anyone, and that's probably the only way out for these communities. Why do these voters vote so heavily for a Republican party that explicitly runs on all of the things that would hurt their communities even more? It's not like Berniecrats are dominating in rural America.

He was willing to do the bare minimum: he acknowledged that their lives sucked and that the system had hurt them.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

Bernie won West Virginia bigly and Hillarymen said it's because the KKK loves him.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Berniecrats don't exist because the party's line for congressional funding had to be Clintonism or nothing. Now all they have is nothing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TyrantWD posted:

nafta repeal, tpp trashed, ppaca repeal

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

more importantly, you can promise to do those things regardless of whether you have the inclination or even ability to do them

even now you've learned nothing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MJ12 posted:

Finally, to tie back to #2, there are tons of 'gun control' proposals which can reduce gun violence significantly and do not involve categorical bans of anything, which do not involve shoulder things that go up, and which do not involve anything scary like mass confiscation. Keeping guns away from domestic abusers and felons isn't 'gun control' in the sense that these guys are afraid of. So I think you can change the messaging on this. It's not about taking away guns. (AFAIK the three most effective ones are basically permit-to-purchase, firearms restraints on misdemeanor DV convictions, and regular audits of gun stores, none of which require categorical bans of firearms ownership). This is the sort of 'smart gun law' we should be advocating for. It's not about keeping you, Mr. Law Abiding Citizen, from buying a gun. It's about keeping That Shithead Who Beats His Wife from keeping a gun to shoot his wife with. It's about getting Those Motherfuckers Who Sell Guns To Gang Members And Nobody Cares out of business so gun stores which don't do that poo poo can compete. Permit to Purchase is probably the only one that needs some work to be sold. If you can keep people from being shot to death in greater numbers with a law that doesn't inconvenience gun owners much, why shouldn't we be advocating that? You can win over the gun control demos with the results. And sell it to them via people who actually have lots of experience with guns. The AWB was sold to the public on the backs of a lot of hunters and other gun owners who backed it. Learn from the strategies used on it, but don't get monofocused on trying to make the 1990s happen again.

It's probably not going to make them more inclined to vote for you the same way going full on pro-NRA would, but the idea here is that you want to have something which keeps your pro-gun control base on side while not losing support from gun owners.

Look, you're right that there are a lot of reasonable gun control measures that could be taken, that most gun owners and voters would agree to in isolation. The problem is that the whole thing has gotten so loving divisive, ANY measure is instantly repulsive to pro-gun voters. Because they've seen the constant attempts to enact various bans and restrictions as this constant and insidious pressure from the left with a single ultimate focus of getting rid of all guns. Time and time again the argument is "look Australia got rid of all their guns, won't you just agree to this one step in that direction", which sounds a lot like "... rid of all ... guns ...". Everytime there's a shooting somewhere, gun owners sigh, and get ready for a week of hearing about how gun crazy Americans are and how like a whole hundred people die in mass shootings because of us.

Furthermore, gun violence does not kill that many people on an objective basis, and the vast majority of those deaths are easily preventable in a different way: better mental health, improved economic conditions (lol if you think guns *cause* crime), encouraging the 'responsible' part of 'responsible gun ownership'. Doubling down on anything re: gun control only whips up the core base of urbanites who just can't understand why anyone would ever want or need a gun (which I understand, I was one once), and repels anyone who thinks any shade of otherwise. It's just not a winning solution.

Both parties need to start casting the net a lot wider, instead of figuring out how to appeal to base harder than ever. I think the Republicans get this -- and by get this, I mean were totally loving destroyed internally by Trump hitting them like a bomb. FFS someone said "I'm proud to be gay" on stage at the RNC (a billionaire, sure) -- but I legit think that is a sign of a wider net, not one that they schemed and planned on, but one that they stumbled into.

^^
basically said it better than I could

Mao Zedong Thot has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Nov 11, 2016

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

TyrantWD posted:

I'm going to give you a little history lesson here: WV, in particular, has been a Democrat stronghold far longer than it has been a Republican one. If you investigate why it flipped, it flipped because the Democrats abandoned labor in the late '60's and early 70's and participated in a bipartisan restructuring of our economy to gently caress over labor.

No one here is as stupid as people like to think. You can't skirt by on lies and bullshit and seeming inauthentic: Trump won the state, yes, but Bernie crushed Trump's vote numbers compared to each other's primaries and would've turned WV blue in a heartbeat.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TyrantWD posted:

Okay, you're trolling right? You don't actually believe these things, right?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also remember that these people still don't have loving healthcare because instead of passing Medicare Part E: Medicare for Everyone, we passed PPACA a - a "complex solution to a complex problem" and we were shocked, Shocked! when the GOP found a loophole in that extremely complex law that allowed them to say gently caress you to giving healthcare to the poorest people who needed that care the most.

loving lol that you posted this just as I was previewing my post.

Privatized Medicare and HSAs for everyone! That's what blue collar Americans really need.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

Because the Dems don't acknowledge that they exist. We've been over this like a dozen times.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

TyrantWD posted:

They vote heavily GOP because the Democratic Party "solution" is to ship the kids off to college and then to a position in a major city, and just wait for the parents to loving die. At least the GOP offers something that will make them feel really loving good. The GOP offers revenge.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I thought it was hilarious that the Republicans nominated Trump but goddamn that process seems so good and smart in retrospect. They just put a whole bunch of candidates in the ring and made them fight it out until the best one emerged and when the winning one was completely unorthodox they just went with it and it won because it turned out the unorthodox really was the best idea for the electorate's mood. Anyone think policy wonks and party insiders could have figured that strategy out? The clean smart simplicity of it all in comparison to the pure goddamn poo poo that was the other side is inspiring.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

Privatized Medicare and HSAs for everyone! That's what blue collar Americans really need.

Yes the ACA sucks that what we said

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

also lol at Venom's analogies in the OP.

You want a WW2 analogy that makes sense? How about Munich 1938. The dems sold out their principles to avoid a bigger disaster...and then the big disaster happened anyway.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

lazorexplosion posted:

I thought it was hilarious that the Republicans nominated Trump but goddamn that process seems so good and smart in retrospect. They just put a whole bunch of candidates in the ring and made them fight it out until the best one emerged and when the winning one was completely unorthodox they just went with it and it won because it turned out the unorthodox really was the best idea for the electorate's mood. Anyone thing policy wonks and party insiders could have figured that strategy out? The clean smart simplicity of it all in comparison to the pure goddamn poo poo that was the other side is inspiring.

There's a really long effort post in here somewhere but my short take on it is the Democratic establishment is too far up its own rear end to understand that yes, people may have a different value system than them and place other things of more importance than their pet issues.

They were also (and still are weirdly) pathologically obsessed with this election being a referendum on 'decency' in politics. Every liberal pundit dipshit is chasing that Edward R. Murrow dragon when they can turn to Trump and own him with logic and cold facts; in the process, they forgot that no one gives a poo poo about decency if they can't eat and feel like their life is garbage.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

TyrantWD posted:

Because the Democrats didn't offer anything besides "Condolences on your new global economy. Would you like $100,000 of debt for an education, you backwoods racist?"

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I really have to love the petitions circulating around regarding doing away with the electoral college or trying to convince electors to change their vote.

Ain't no way in seven loving hells you're going to be able to convince the opposition to change it when they are totally winning with it. Any petition to electors to be faithless, any petitions to do it popular vote only, is trying to keep yourself busy contemplating your navel while ignoring the humongous sucking chest wound that is the fact that republicans will shortly control both houses, the white house, 69 out of 99 state legislatures, and 35 governorships.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but for fucks' sake, could we please concentrate on what would be easier to achieve?

I wonder how many of those people screamed bloody murder when the Sanders team was encouraging writing letters to superdelegates.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

:same:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

NumberLast posted:

There would be riots and I would join them.

The quickest way to legitimize a Trump presidency would be to literally rig the election and steal it from him exactly how he said it would be done.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lazorexplosion posted:

I thought it was hilarious that the Republicans nominated Trump but goddamn that process seems so good and smart in retrospect. They just put a whole bunch of candidates in the ring and made them fight it out until the best one emerged and when the winning one was completely unorthodox they just went with it and it won because it turned out the unorthodox really was the best idea for the electorate's mood. Anyone think policy wonks and party insiders could have figured that strategy out? The clean smart simplicity of it all in comparison to the pure goddamn poo poo that was the other side is inspiring.

They did absolutely everything in their power to not figure it out, even with tens of millions of primary voters screaming it at them.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

here's a draft for the message on getting involved with the DNC. it's aimed toward sharing on fb so less "full communism now" then i would have done. I’ll probably add more and edit it but the civil war is loving on and we need to start fighting

quote:

The DNC Chair Election: How you can get involved

In the wake of Donald Trump's victory the Democratic Party has been effectively shattered. Hillary Clinton and the machine she built were the presumed heir to leadership but with their disgrace the party is now effectively broken and leaderless.

This shouldn't fill you with despair, it should fill you with hope at the opportunity. Now more than ever is a chance to completely take over the organization from the establishment faction who valued the staid status quo over change, who ignored the economic pain of millions of Americans for technocratic elitism that failed catastrophically at this critical moment in history.

Senator Bernie Sanders has put forward Congressman Keith Ellison and prominent progressive leaders such as Elizabeth Warren have also endorsed him. He is the co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, which was founded by Senator Sanders in 1991 when he was in a congressman to advocate progressive issues within the democratic party. While many establishment democrats did not take Trump seriously, Congressman Ellison did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHkPadFK34o

However, there is already opposition brewing to this. Former DNC Chair and current pharmaceutical lobbyist Howard Dean has thrown his name in the ring. Former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has done so as well. Both defended the establishment candidacy of Hillary Clinton during the primary and would not fulfill the radical change the Democratic Party needs to go through to win back the working class and defeat Donald Trump.

We cannot allow this. The establishment must be taken to task.

The bylaws of the DNC (http://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.democrats.org/Downloads/DNC_Charter__Bylaws_9.17.15.pdf) state that

quote:

ARTICLE FIVE
National Chairperson
Section 1. The National Chairperson of the Democratic Party shall carry out the programs and
policies of the National Convention and the Democratic National Committee.
Section 2. The National Chairperson, the five Vice Chairpersons, the National Finance Chair, the Treasurer, and the Secretary, shall be elected:
(a) at a meeting of the Democratic National Committee held after the succeeding presidential election and prior to March 1 next, and,

(b) whenever a vacancy occurs.

The National Chairperson shall be elected and may be
removed by a majority vote of the Democratic National Committee, and each term shall expire upon the election for the following term.

It is not a vote of the party membership but a vote of the committee members, which range from state democratic party chairpersons to the members of various organizations. There are also 200 appointed committee member that are difficult to even find out who they are.

We must mobilize. We must make our voices heard. We must let the elites who have lead us astray know our anger.

I have spent the past few days collecting a list of the contact information of all the DNC committee members I could find. This list is incomplete and may have some wrong information. If it does let me know so I can correct it. But it is a start

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S7w8tvS0NWA3AX8JdFjZLLAW7f_S4hp2T3416ttjBtg/edit?usp=sharing

E-mail your state chair. Call you state party headquarters. Write letters. Tell your friends. Organize.

Do not let them take this opportunity away from us again.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lazorexplosion posted:

I thought it was hilarious that the Republicans nominated Trump but goddamn that process seems so good and smart in retrospect. They just put a whole bunch of candidates in the ring and made them fight it out until the best one emerged and when the winning one was completely unorthodox they just went with it and it won because it turned out the unorthodox really was the best idea for the electorate's mood. Anyone thing policy wonks and party insiders could have figured that strategy out? The clean smart simplicity of it all in comparison to the pure goddamn poo poo that was the other side is inspiring.

Or he won the primary because there's a huge bastion of anger out there and he tapped right the gently caress into it. Believing anything else makes people think everything would be just fine if it wasn't for this really weird chain of events! Everything is not just fine. Millions and millions of voters are pissed the gently caress off, and they're right to be pissed the gently caress off because the capitalist class literally smashed their loving lives apart. The Democratic Party can do things to help these people and help the rest of the country. Give these people real loving jobs that clean up the dozens of messes we have.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pathos posted:

Venom Snake -- I posted this ages ago but I really really want as close to a definitive answer as possible: Why did Hillary pick Tim Kaine? Of all people? I get that he's a nice guy but... why? Just why? It was so safe and establishment and loving why?

Tim Kaine is an effective legislator is one answer. Another is she was trying to get the D.C. establishment which was having severe doubts about her on her side. As much as Tim Kaine represents whats wrong with the party he also represents someone who does actually have appeal to working class voters in VA. To bad he spent most of this election in outside of VA and the mid-Atlantic.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

also lol at Venom's analogies in the OP.

You want a WW2 analogy that makes sense? How about Munich 1938. The dems sold out their principles to avoid a bigger disaster...and then the big disaster happened anyway.

Venom is not even old enough to have taken a college course on WW2, lmao.

I feel kinda bad for ragging so much on the guy. He's woefully ignorant and it's not really his fault.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I'm going to give you a little history lesson here: WV, in particular, has been a Democrat stronghold far longer than it has been a Republican one. If you investigate why it flipped, it flipped because the Democrats abandoned labor in the late '60's and early 70's and participated in a bipartisan restructuring of our economy to gently caress over labor.

quote:

No one here is as stupid as people like to think. You can't skirt by on lies and bullshit and seeming inauthentic: Trump won the state, yes, but Bernie crushed Trump's vote numbers compared to each other's primaries and would've turned WV blue in a heartbeat.
Bernie won WV by carrying the people who are registered Democrat but haven't voted Democrat in years. Bernie's success had little to do with policy and all to do with personality, and people disliking Hillary. When you are winning the vote among people who want less liberal policy than Obama, that's not a calling for more pro-labor policy.

NumberLast posted:

Because the Dems don't acknowledge that they exist. We've been over this like a dozen times.
Democrats don't acknowledge they exist because they consistently choose candidates who are catering even more heavily to the top 1% than the Schumer and co. do.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They did absolutely everything in their power to not figure it out, even with tens of millions of primary voters screaming it at them.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. Trump emerged more due to the fact that unlike on the Democratic side there wasn't a single establishment figure for people to rally around against him. Instead you not only had the normal Jesus vs. Business options but you had like half a dozen of each. By the time the field narrowed it was to late because Trump had all the momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This thread is good and fills me with hope :unsmith:

• Locked thread