Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'd be down for a game like Kingdom Death without all the skeezy poo poo and better rules, I don't know if Descent scratches that itch but a multiplayer board game dungeon crawler where the monsters use cards sounds like a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Feudum looks really awesome. The art alone is incredibly cool and stand out, has good looking components, and the gameplay sounds solid too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's relatively easy to not have most of the dumb titty stuff anyways since it's all based on minis that are expansion content iirc. There's a definite theme of body horror with all of the enemies, so all the talk of titty miniatures is closer to the miniatures that just happen to have titties rather than miniatures whose purpose is titties. There's some other stuff in the rules that's definitely weird and messed up for other reasons, but it's not generally T&A/fetish stuff unless the fetish is body horror.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fenarisk posted:

I'd be down for a game like Kingdom Death without all the skeezy poo poo and better rules, I don't know if Descent scratches that itch but a multiplayer board game dungeon crawler where the monsters use cards sounds like a lot of fun.

There's no reason to think that it is good, but I recall the Dark Souls board game uses a monster deck for its bosses.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rad Valtar posted:

So if I back the Mega Man Pixel Tactics with the tier that just has 2 copies of the same cards are the two teams going to be too similar every time I play? I'm willing to bump up to get both the Red and blue packs but I'm wondering if it's needed right away?

There's plenty of play in one box, but two boxes are better. Plus you don't get stretch goal cards with only one box.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's relatively easy to not have most of the dumb titty stuff anyways since it's all based on minis that are expansion content iirc. There's a definite theme of body horror with all of the enemies, so all the talk of titty miniatures is closer to the miniatures that just happen to have titties rather than miniatures whose purpose is titties. There's some other stuff in the rules that's definitely weird and messed up for other reasons, but it's not generally T&A/fetish stuff unless the fetish is body horror.

Isn't one of the bosses a literal "Dong Lion" standing on top of a hill made entirely of severed human breasts

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

ElegantFugue posted:

Isn't one of the bosses a literal "Dong Lion" standing on top of a hill made entirely of severed human breasts

TG Kickstarter Thread 4: a literal "Dong Lion"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think just the tail is a dong? I'll leave confirmation as an exercise for the reader.

We tried out the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game last night and it seems really solid. My group really enjoyed the way the action economy works and the variety of abilities. The first encounter's not great, but it's quick and a good intro to the mechanics. We had a group of 5 and we're all excited to try the next encounter.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Xelkelvos posted:

That's how my coworker sold it when I was surprised she was a big Kingdom Death fan. She acknowledge its balance flaws, but continuously talks highly enough about it that I'm interested in looking at the reprint KS coming up. If the weirder poo poo is relegated to optional packs, then I might jump in for the base game. Then again, I backed Middara, so I'm already a titty-figure enabling monster.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

jivjov posted:

There's plenty of play in one box, but two boxes are better. Plus you don't get stretch goal cards with only one box.

In general Pixel Tactics is most balanced when both players are playing the exact same decks, but having more than one type of deck would help provide a lot more options. I have no idea how well the two decks will measure up against one another but it's likely not a big deal.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Xelkelvos posted:

Isn't there a random event that results in all of the characters eating poo?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah, I seem to recall this when my buddy was talking about it.

I think they have a lot of cool/horrifying sculpts and some of the sexuality-mixed-with-horror bodyhorror is using the sex to make it more unsettling, but that mixes weirdly with the cheesecake pinup poo poo, and some of the over-sexed violence just feels like juvenile shock value.

It kind of feels like a cargo cult built around the someone saying that Alien is a great horror film and also the alien reproduces via throat-raping egg laying.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I guess I kind of feel like "it's not meant to be skeezy, it's ~body horror~" is reaching a bit when a lot of the body horror just somehow happens to involve tits for purely coincidental reasons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or giant slugs made entirely out of tentacle dicks and surrounded pregnant naked women.

But the game play itself is pretty bad, 90% of the random events are "roll a d10, on a 1-3 you die horribly, on a 8-10 you get a bonus". The game ends if your settlement survives 40 years and then your lanterns all go out and you die.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 11, 2016

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

But the game play itself is pretty bad, 90% of the random events are "roll a d10, on a 1-3 you die horribly, on a 8-10 you get a bonus". The game ends if your settlement survives 40 years and then your lanterns all go out and you die.

This is one of the major problems; there is no real way to push the odds in your favour on most rolls and most rolls are set up so only getting 8-10 on a d10 does anything good for you. As a consequence, you are actively incentivised to not roll for random events if the game gives you a choice. This means you spend time rolling on charts to get an interesting sounding event and then choose not to engage with it because there's a higher chance you'll just get hosed over.

There's also a bunch of stupidly, and unenjoyably, 'gently caress you' cards in the monster decks. Trap cards trigger at certain points when you damage a monster, essentially at random. I've played in battles where we were definitely about to defeat the boss but hit a trap card and got outright tpk'd. The trap cards don't add challenge, just the chance to get screwed by bad luck (spoiler: we took the trap cards out from then on).

The game is not good, but my brother spent a lot of money on the Kickstarter (the only thing I can say in his defence is that didn't get any optional titty minis and has actively converted the minis he did get to reduce the more gratuitous stuff) so I have felt obliged to play it with him. We ultimately added a ton of house rules that made the game much more enjoyable, if not good. I will say this, the settlement building and crafting stuff is a cool idea, and the main thing that makes any of us interested in coming back for more - I wish a better designed game had those elements to it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Kai Tave posted:

I guess I kind of feel like "it's not meant to be skeezy, it's ~body horror~" is reaching a bit when a lot of the body horror just somehow happens to involve tits for purely coincidental reasons.

Pretty much. If it was straight-up body horror then I'd be much more okay with it. As it is, it's really sleazy body horror.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yes, and you have to give your character the title of poop eater (though that might be a different card). Also you can hit the Lion in the dingdong. I complained about the tonal shift before where the general environment is grim-dark but then you have spouts of juvenile humor.

The boss fights are actually kind of interesting in a way... though the trap cards mean there is no reason to use weaker multihitting weapons over stronger single hit weapons. You can mitigate this a bit; by hunting an enemy over-and-over you get enemy specific resources that you can use to build items that let you see that specific enemies hit locations, or lets you control them in a certain way which is a cool idea! It still doesn't mean you want multihit weapons.

The hunting phase is horrible and has ton of "roll or die" situations. It just exists to drain your... survival points? I can't remember exactly what they are called, but they are points you gain that let you do some helpful actions. Too bad if you enter a fight without survival you basically will die, especially against monsters you haven't fought before.

The civilization phase is... okay. The building aspects are kind of neat, and the way you discover new monsters to fight has some cool events. Except certain events happen to just kill off your population and are frustrating because they keep coming back. Exile a witch? Well, they will keep coming back every 3 years to get revenge unless you roll a 10! Twilight knight gives you a lovely sword? He will come back every 2 years, kill the person with the lovely sword unless they level it up, and give to the sword to another person. Thanks rear end in a top hat!

Man the creep factor... Roll a die! Your baby dies... Roll a die! You die while farming (and the picture for this is half naked women getting fondled)...

Man, if you are a designer I would say get the game (cheap if you can) because there is a lot of potential. Like, a loving Bloodborne edition of it where you build up the Hunter's Dream with random Hunters would be great if you get rid of some of the random rolls and redesign the trap hit locations to be less punishing.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Sigma-X posted:

It kind of feels like a cargo cult built around the someone saying that Alien is a great horror film and also the alien reproduces via throat-raping egg laying.

I think a lot of the people who ape Alien and Geiger forget that a lot of what's unsettling about the body horror themes in the works are often more focused on the birth of something, with the reproductive act being a secondary element. Stuff like Kingdom Death seems to reverse that, or throw out the whole "birth as disturbing" thing altogether.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The game is fun only when you mock how player-unfriendly it is, all in the name of being "dark." It isn't that fun to play, because, as others have said, there is an awful lot of "roll a d10 and roll high to not die." It isn't grueling so much as it is over the top.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

graventy posted:

The game is fun only when you mock how player-unfriendly it is, all in the name of being "dark." It isn't that fun to play, because, as others have said, there is an awful lot of "roll a d10 and roll high to not die." It isn't grueling so much as it is over the top.

To be fair it's not like the Kingdom Death guys were the first people to look at Dark Souls and then come to the completely incorrect understanding about what makes it good. They might be the first to add gratuitous tits and dicks to it though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LordAba posted:

Yes, and you have to give your character the title of poop eater (though that might be a different card).

Oh, nope, that's it. only one guy can elect to eat the poo though

quote:

Monster Droppings The survivors find some monster droppings. They might be from the beast you are hunting. The event revealer must choose to either investigate or consume the droppings (choose only one). If the event revealer investigates, roll on the table and gain +1 understanding. D10 Event revealer - Investigate = 1- 3 You have no idea what feces this is, but it's sickening. Suffer -1 survival and roll again on the hunt event table before moving on the hunt board. / 4 - 6 The droppings tell a story. The survivors are on the right track. Continue on the hunt board normally. / 7 + You know these droppings well. You may skip the next hunt space. If the event revealer consumes, roll on the table and gain +1 courage. // d10 Event revealer - consume = 1 - 3 Bad idea. Gain -1 evasion token. / 4 - 6 It‘s repulsive. Replace your name with ‘Scat Man.’ Everyone in the settlement calls you by that name from now on. / 7 + There was something quite special about these feces. Gain + 1 speed and + 1 strength token until the end of the showdown. *INVESTIGATE*

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
that's just beautiful.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ah yes someone left this strange feces just lying here allow me to scarf it down one moment please

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
This is a special poo. It makes you Faster... Stronger.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have never come across a pile of poop so interesting I have to stop and investigate it. Am I living my life wrong?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have never come across a pile of poop so interesting I have to stop and investigate it. Am I living my life wrong?

two poos diverged in the woods, I ate the one less ordinary, and that has made all the difference

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

"But as so often happens, the poop rolled together , and two became one. A turd merger. Fused together by fear and hatred and hair.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sigma-X posted:

two poos diverged in the woods, I ate the one less ordinary, and that has made all the difference

:iiapa:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ANIME TITS. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO LOVE THEM SINCE I BEGAN TO PLAY KINGDOM DEATH. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF POO THAT FILL MY COLON. IF ANIME TITS WAS DRAWN ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE LOVE I FEEL FOR ANIME TITS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. TITS. SCAT MAN.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Ski bi di bi di do bap do I'm the scatman

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Came back a page later from it being linked hoping people were talking about if that Edge KS was good or bad. :(

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Investigating poop is a real world hunting technique (and animal research, for that matter). Eating it, not so much.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Spiderdrake posted:

Came back a page later from it being linked hoping people were talking about if that Edge KS was good or bad. :(

If it helps I just got my pledge from their last kickstarter (awakened realms terrain) and it's super disappointing. Bubbles, voids and prominent mold lines as far as the eye can see. Not sure of it's even going to be worth the effort of cleaning them up instead of tossing them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'll be honest, when I saw the new title I was thinking it sounded like the worst Robot Master ever.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'll be honest, when I saw the new title I was thinking it sounded like the worst Robot Master ever.

Kingdom Death + Mega Man Pixel Tactics crossover confirmed!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Even if I won the championship again, I highly doubt Brad and Level99 would let me make that promo.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Richard Breese is kickstarting a special edition of Keyper, the next game in the Key boardgame series. Shipping is very high, £19 to ship from Germany to Denmark which is right next door.
It almost makes sense considering that the game appearantly will weigh an estimated 20kg.
The contents are:

48 country tiles (plus a minimum additional six tiles in the Character Edition),
48 village tiles,
26 fair tiles,
6 boat tiles.
4 ‘flexible’ country boards,
4 village boards,
4 mini keyp boards.
4 waving wooden keypers (all character keypers in the Character Edition),
32 wooden keyples (all character keyples in the Character Edition),
48 wooden raw material resource cubes,
48 wooden eight sided finished goods counters,
8 wooden score marker cylinders.
96 wooden animeeples: chickens, cows, goats, horses, pigs, red deer, sheep and wild boar. 20 wooden wheat counters.
64 gems.
A black cloth bag for the country tiles.
A rule booklet

Am I crazy for not understanding how that can weigh 20kg?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

Am I crazy for not understanding how that can weigh 20kg?

No it sounds a little heavy - I mean, that's 45 pounds to us yanks and canucks. I've kickstarted armies of toy soldiers with heavy sourcebooks that weigh less.

Also thanks to whoever posted the Moonstone kickstarter, can`t wait to get those goblin knights :orks:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Weirdo posted:

No it sounds a little heavy - I mean, that's 45 pounds to us yanks and canucks. I've kickstarted armies of toy soldiers with heavy sourcebooks that weigh less.
I did a little math just for the hell of it. If the box is the size of the other games in the series, which an illustration makes it look like, he could literally fill the box with a slab of granite and it still wouldn't weigh 20kg.

What I'm saying is that it's got to be some loving dense wood in those meeples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Flavivirus posted:

If it helps I just got my pledge from their last kickstarter (awakened realms terrain) and it's super disappointing. Bubbles, voids and prominent mold lines as far as the eye can see. Not sure of it's even going to be worth the effort of cleaning them up instead of tossing them.

Welp, I guess that saves me dropping a chunk of cash on the terrain and resin boss minis add-ons but I'm hoping the base game pledge ends up being okay. For £85 you get a 2-faction box set, a third faction of your choice and whatever the stretch goals are and the game itself looks like an interesting bridge between board games and mini skirmish games.