Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cygni posted:

a lot of people (most?) consider it the best road course in america.

It's my favorite track to play in video games, at least.

I'd slot it just behind Laguna Seca and just ahead of Mid Ohio and VIR, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I know very few people who rate Road America as their favourite track, but most everyone has it in their list of great tracks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Laguna Seca is one of those tracks that's fantastic to drive but doesn't quite work as a race track because it's next to impossible to overtake on.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alain Post posted:

Laguna Seca is one of those tracks that's fantastic to drive but doesn't quite work as a race track because it's next to impossible to overtake on.

yeah, and although you can see a lot of the track from the hill, its hot and dusty. related: gently caress walking up the goddamn hill.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

It was primarily designed for Motorcycles, no?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Human Grand Prix posted:

It was primarily designed for Motorcycles, no?

They've been running sports car races at Laguna since the day it opened.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Laguna passes are always exciting, though.

Passing on the brakes and diving are my favorite. Corvette vs 911 is still a weekly watch for me.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iwentdoodie posted:

Laguna passes are always exciting, though.

Passing on the brakes and diving are my favorite. Corvette vs 911 is still a weekly watch for me.

There's something to be said about tracks where it's hard to pass. It makes the passes that do happen very exciting. If they ever happen at all…

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Anime Reference posted:

They've been running sports car races at Laguna since the day it opened.

sports cars were a lot smaller back then, too

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

a lot of people (most?) consider it the best road course in america.

rofl wtf i mean road america owns, but watkins loving glen, bitch. in fact gently caress just the us, watkins glen is the best road course in the world.

i also rate vir and lime rock higher than road america.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 12, 2016

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Watkins Glen is top for me too. Though I've only driven a handful (and the Glen was probably the most storied) it was and remains my favorite.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, and Lime Rock are probably my favorites to drive in the video games.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

don't think I've ever heard someone say watkins glen was their fav before this thread. I know a lot of drivers think it's scary as poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

don't think I've ever heard someone say watkins glen was their fav before this thread. I know a lot of drivers think it's scary as poo poo.

I think it's the best US Circuit.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Road America is the best. I never liked Watkins Glen as much as RA, or even Mid-Ohio. I'd put Road Atlanta second behind Road America.

Related question: Is there a better street circuit for racing than Long Beach? It's the best for a race event weekend, but have there been better ones for racing? I'd put Toronto right up there.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pre-'98 Vancouver was really good.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Glen is clearly the best US circuit but holy gently caress nothing holds a candle to Mount Panorama

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

The Glen is clearly the best US circuit but holy gently caress nothing holds a candle to Mount Panorama

I will never forget my feelings upon seeing Bathurst on TV for the first time. You know almost immediately that it is quintessentially Australian. The track is dangerous as gently caress, as if that's going to stop them from racing on it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Human Grand Prix posted:

Pre-'98 Vancouver was really good.

Hell yes

Re: US road courses, VIR, Road Atlanta, Road America and Barber are probably my favorite watch on TV tracks.

I never got the love for Laguna Seca. Mid Ohio - bonkers NASCAR races aside, is usually MEH for IndyCar

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Watkins Glen is fast and complex, but I think Road America just feels epic in the way Spa does or Suzuka does.

Just my thought. The Glen is a classic and I'm appreciating it more and more.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

I will never forget my feelings upon seeing Bathurst on TV for the first time. You know almost immediately that it is quintessentially Australian. The track is dangerous as gently caress, as if that's going to stop them from racing on it.

I raced on it in a sim long before I ever saw it, and the feeling when you got to the top and then smashed into the wall because "HOLY gently caress WHAT ARE THESE TURNS AND THIS HILL" out of left field was loving hilarious as I skidded to a broken stop.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I loved driving at Watkins glen. The proximity of the armco to the edge of the track definitely brings the adrenaline levels up a notch over other tracks I've driven. Then you add the history of the track and the beautiful area the track is in. Its a great place.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

njsykora posted:

Yeah I know very few people who rate Road America as their favourite track, but most everyone has it in their list of great tracks.

It's certainly my favorite track to race at.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i have a formula E question: who's actually building these motors? i find it extremely hard to believe that teams like andretti and penske are actually designing and building bespoke electric powertrains from the ground up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

i have a formula E question: who's actually building these motors? i find it extremely hard to believe that teams like andretti and penske are actually designing and building bespoke electric powertrains from the ground up.

Supposedly they design it themselves but I'd be shocked if they aren't just grabbing off the shelf components or getting some Chinese factory to pump out the motors.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I think most of them are common parts coming from known or shared producers. At least the battery packs are coming from Williams, why wouldn't the motors come from McLaren or something similar?

e: A quick google puts me close, at least Renault is using McLaren's motor. I think most of the design freedom that the teams use is in recharging, layout, gearboxes, cooling and such things.

geonetix fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 13, 2016

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

wicka posted:

That's why they're partnering with companies that make EVs or design EV powertrains like NextEV, Venturi, Faraday Future et al. The first motors were based on the one used in the McLaren P1, but now teams have more freedom and they're starting to experiment.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

geonetix posted:

I think most of them are common parts coming from known or shared producers. At least the battery packs are coming from Williams, why wouldn't the motors come from McLaren or something similar?

e: A quick google puts me close, at least Renault is using McLaren's motor. I think most of the design freedom that the teams use is in recharging, layout, gearboxes, cooling and such things.

Not quite. There's design freedom in the MGU, inverter, electronics, and gearbox.

Recharging is not up to the teams afaik.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Alright, fair. I was basing my posts on bad googling and mostly gut feeling :-). It's completely unclear to me where they have freedom of development now, wikipedia isn't helping and I wasn't about to scour regulations over it. Even though for me this is probably the most interesting part of Formula E when they're not racing.

I guess it's a tip if they want to change something.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

yeah, there's next to no information on this, but i don't have the faintest clue how andretti has the money to invest in such a program. i guess it would make sense if they are just buying parts and "building" a powertrain from that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya that's the frustrating part of Formula E, there's no real depth of knowledge about it yet despite it having amazing potential and it veers towards gimmicks a little too often.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Well if you're looking for info you can start here:

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/10/as-formula-es-third-season-kicks-off-car-companies-rush-to-get-involved/

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04/ars-checks-out-the-future-of-formula-e-at-venturi/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/status/797000703059361792

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/798170248486748165

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
IMSA Twitter is the biggest cock tease.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

IMSA Twitter is the biggest cock tease.

https://twitter.com/gclarktweets2/status/798228971813044224
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/798233855685758976

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

RIP DeltaWing

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/136416-imsa-deltawing-cancels-rolex-24-return

I'm going to miss it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Never understood why they kept at it so long.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2016/11/14/gorgeous-fan-built-lego-technic-porsche-919-the-2015-le-mans-winner/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Andrew Jackson is leaving Motorbase to go to WSR for 2017.

• Locked thread