Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzoro
Nov 11, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsieurChoc posted:

It would help if trolls like Tezzor and Yaws would shut the gently caress up about the Prequels.

U first bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzoro
Nov 11, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we do something about these trolls that keep saying that the sun does not revolve around the earth

Tezzoro
Nov 11, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cnut the Great posted:

Well yeah The Force Awakens very consciously draws on Arthurian legend. As lots of people have pointed out Maz Kanata is an obvious analogue of the Lady of the Lake who gives King Arthur his sword.

lol

Tezzoro
Nov 11, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Make me mod of this subforum

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Star Wars is ok

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the prequels were right

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Korean trailer, a few new shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ADCdHhjyw

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Phi230 posted:

the prequels were right

Zoran posted:

The Prequels Were Right

I'm glad we're all friends now :)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The prequels would have been more right if they elected Jabba.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

RBA Starblade posted:

The prequels would have been more right if they elected Jabba.
Jabba was a successful businessman, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rewatched TFA night before last until I fell asleep. (Not saying it was boring, I've just been sick and sleep-deprived.) Maz and Hux are indeed very very bad.

BORMANN: We shall destroy the government that supports the Partisans, the United Nations. Without their friends to protect them, the Partisans will be vulnerable, and we will stop them before they reach Tito!

Edit: Actually, it makes more sense in real life for Hitler to forget all the armies he's at war with than for Snoke to do the same.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 11, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Krennic gets force choked to death for offering to fix vader's asymmetrical mask and telling a bunch of storm troopers "get a load of this guy" after Vader replies no thank you

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Some proper space battles. I dunno why it matters so much but it totally does. Pumped like hell.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I have a star wars universe question that I thought up today.

How do the Jedi treat force using people (let's just say humans) that don't give a poo poo about the jedi religion and aren't sith?

Like, I imagine there could be some dude who's strong in the force but never gets found and just grows up with it. Let's say he even figured out how to control it/use it and does so.

Do the Jedi just leave him alone? Give him some kind of ultimatum?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
They run bars and have statues erected if them at said bar.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

How do the Jedi treat force using people (let's just say humans) that don't give a poo poo about the jedi religion and aren't sith?

Like, I imagine there could be some dude who's strong in the force but never gets found and just grows up with it. Let's say he even figured out how to control it/use it and does so.

The jedi are super "convert or die" so

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Based purely on extrapolating from the blasé medical testing in the filmsif you're born in or ever visit a republic hospital you can be pretty drat confident your medical records get sent to the Jedi.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Barudak posted:

Based purely on extrapolating from the blasé medical testing in the filmsif you're born in or ever visit a republic hospital you can be pretty drat confident your medical records get sent to the Jedi.

Wow. I guess the fascists had to go then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey is obviously Luke's daughter and Hillary is obviously going to win.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

HotCanadianChick posted:

The thing is, though, that the slight asymmetry of the original trilogy helmets gives Vader some of his presence- human faces are not symmetrical and by having a helmet that's not perfect, it looks more 'human' to the viewer, on a subconscious level. The Ep 3 helmet has always looked a bit off because it is too symmetrical - you get the same effect if you take a picture of your face and then divide it down the middle and mirror one side- it looks 'off' because it's now too symmetrical. Kinda related to the uncanny valley effect.

I know the effect is supposed to be to make Vader appear machine like and inhuman, but once you're used to the imperfect look from the OT, it makes the newer Ep 3 design subconsciously a bit odd, just because it's not the same face the part of your brain that is in charge of recognizing faces, recognizes.

You said it yourself: Vader isn't supposed to come across as human. IMO he has way more presence in TESB and ROTJ than in ANH and his mask is way more symmetric and emotionless in those films. The reason this works way better than the alternative is because of the Kuleshov effect. If allows you to read a wider range of feeling and intentionality onto Vader's mask depending on the context, other than just meanness and brutishness, which his mask in ANH pretty much limits him to.

I don't want to harp on this point too much. I know it's kind of minor and silly. But it's emblematic of a larger creative mindset that I disagree with, is all.

e: Seriously though, in the few instances from ANH where you catch a few of Vader's mask head-on he looks like a dog smelling a fart more than anything else:

That's probably why Lucas tried to avoid shooting him from that angle. He looks increasingly more soulless, robotic, and harshly geometrical (as he should be) in each successive movie he appears in, as the budget and machining processes improve:

I don't understand why people have this tendency to fetishize and worship the production difficulties and money problems that went into making a film far more than the actual artistic vision behind it. Things like Vader's warped, uneven helmet and rushed, rigid-looking X-wing fighter maneuvers are merely manifestations of the depredations of the banks and the money-men at the studios who never gave a poo poo about the movie in the first place. They don't deserve your veneration.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

They wouldn't have access to Jedi training so it's unlikely they would pose any threat. Up until TFA blew this idea out of the water, there was never any indication that it was possible for a being to exhibit advanced Force abilities in the absence of any formal education. It's like if you're born a math prodigy. You're going to be way better than most people at the fundamentals of math, and might even be able to extrapolate outwards to some more advanced concepts, but the odds of you independently reinventing caclulus sans any formal education are very very low.

Anakin was the most powerful Force user to have ever lived, and the extent of his naturally manifesting talents was simply that he appeared to have greater reflexes than a normal human, and perhaps a more generally powerful sense of intuition. This is also the extent of the abilities Luke manifested in ANH with only a bare minimum of education. Then after three years of what is implied to be self-study he barely manages to even call his lightsaber to him using telekinesis.

Phi230 posted:

This really isn't borne out by the movies. They're perfectly willing to cut Anakin loose in TPM despite his prodigious abilities, and Dooku is allowed to leave the Order while remaining in good stead with them, senior members of the Council even defending his good character. Someone without training isn't considered a threat by the Jedi, and someone with training who decides to peacefully part ways with them is also not considered a threat, precisely because of their having undergone training. Furthermore, Anakin himself was threatened with expulsion from the Order if he didn't shape up, not imprisonment and/or execution.

The Jedi actually seem to be very "live and let live", until they become generals in the Clone War.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 12, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I'm not up and up with all the Extended Universe stuff, but I always got the impression that you could only really use the force to your advantage if you had proper training, no matter how force sensitive you were.

Then again, you'd have to ask youtself: Who was the first one who figured out that you could harness this power, and how did he/she do it then?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:aaa:
http://i.imgur.com/82Hrq2f.gifv

:circlefap:
http://i.imgur.com/iFNGplE.gifv

:vince:
http://i.imgur.com/08Tk8lv.gifv

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

You clearly enjoy the same imagery as me. Holy hell does that look cool! Great job.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The first gif has turbolasers from the Star Destroyer firing upwards at what I assume is the rebel fleet

The last gif you see the CAP moving into attack from the rebel fleet

Will we be getting a proper fleet action here???

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think those turrets are on the orbital station/dockyard, which the Star Destroyer is docked at in the last gif. The TIE fighters are launching from the orbital platform too. I think it is a space elevator since there is a 'tray' of the cargo containers that the AT-ACTs carry in the middle of that forcefield-like thing.

So there is at least one SD there, hopefully a few others nearby.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't understand why people have this tendency to fetishize and worship the production difficulties and money problems that went into making a film far more than the actual artistic vision behind it. Things like Vader's warped, uneven helmet and rushed, rigid-looking X-wing fighter maneuvers are merely manifestations of the depredations of the banks and the money-men at the studios who never gave a poo poo about the movie in the first place. They don't deserve your veneration.

I don't think I ever noticed the design of the helmet changed at all, to be honest.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I ever noticed the design of the helmet changed at all, to be honest.

Well, yeah, as was said, Lucas shot around the faults of the helmet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Well, yeah, as was said, Lucas shot around the faults of the helmet.

Yeah, but it looks different in the other shots as well. Or is it just the lighting?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Those shots look like a rigid impression of the Episode 3 opening.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

sassassin posted:

Those shots look like a rigid impression of the Episode 3 opening.

Immediately following the third gif the X-wings stop fighting and fly straight for 5 minutes to have a chat.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I don't know if I should spoiler a fan theory or not, but what do you think about the notion (not mine) that Jyn's dad intentionally incorporated the exhaust port design flaw ?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Silver Brushes posted:

I don't know if I should spoiler a fan theory or not, but what do you think about the notion (not mine) that Jyn's dad intentionally incorporated the exhaust port design flaw ?

About at the same storytelling level as Anakin building C3PO.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can't tell if that means you think it's good or bad.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Mameluke posted:

I can't tell if that means you think it's good or bad.

It depends. Do you think that prequels can ruin movies that came before them?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

About at the same storytelling level as Anakin building C3PO.

Jyn's dad intentionally incorporating the thermal exhaust port design flaw would be bad because it would undermine a central theme of the original films, which is that the Empire is arrogant in its pretensions to absolute power, and that even the strongest foe has an Achilles heel. Having the Achilles heel be an intentional act committed by a Rebel sympathizer would complicate that theme to the point of unintelligibility. It would be far more of a betrayal of the themes of the series than anything that appeared in the prequels. It's just such a horrible, horrible idea. Luckily, as far as I know, there's no reason to even suspect that it's the case.

In contrast, Anakin building C-3PO by hand does nothing except emphasize C-3PO's peculiar connection to humanity and the natural world, and more specifically his thematic kinship to Darth Vader, elements which were inherent to the original films. It's not comparable to the above idea in any way, unless you're trying to make the argument that C-3PO's connection to the young Darth Vader is contrived in some way. Well, it isn't.

There's absolutely nothing contrived about C-3PO and R2-D2's connection to the main characters in the prequels. The problem is that everyone always insists on looking at things backwards. The prequels, obviously, take place chronologically before the originals. The way the story of the prequels unfold, it ends up being perfectly natural for the droids to end up in the hands of the Organas serving them on their private blockade runner.

From that point, it makes perfect sense that they'd end up at the center of the war of rebellion against the Empire, and it's perfectly plausible that the ever reliable Artoo would be entrusted with a secret mission to deliver a message to Ben Kenobi on Tatooine. Ben Kenobi, remember, is one of two remaining Jedi allies of the Rebels left in the galaxy, and also the very reason Bail Organa ended up in possession of the two droids in the first place (he's literally the one who brought them to Bail's blockade runner in Episode III). It isn't terribly surprising that any droid belonging to one of the leaders of the Rebellion would at some point come into contact with Kenobi, let alone two trusted droids who actually share a history with him.

And the only reason Artoo and Threepio run into Luke first is because they're aiming for the part of the planet where Ben Kenobi lives, which is obviously going to be a stone's throw away from where Luke lives. And on a barren planet like Tatooine, where people live hundreds of miles away from each other across tracts of utterly barren desert, if they were going to run into anybody, it was going to be either Ben or Luke.

All that's happening is Artoo and Threepio are bouncing around between the ownership of the Skywalkers, the Organas, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, all of whom are close associates of each other and who are therefore bound to come into further contact over the years. There's some coincidence involved, mainly regarding the circumstances in ANH wherein the droids come to be selected for this particular mission (and actually only Artoo was--Threepio just tagged along), but not any more than there ever is in any of the original Star Wars movies, and not as much as is commonly claimed. If the movies had come out in order, no one would even notice anything.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 13, 2016

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

Jyn's dad intentionally incorporating the thermal exhaust port design flaw would be bad because it would undermine a central theme of the original films, which is that the Empire is arrogant in its pretensions to absolute power, and that even the strongest foe has an Achilles heel. Having the Achilles heel be an intentional act committed by a Rebel sympathizer would complicate that theme to the point of unintelligibility. It would be far more of a betrayal of the themes of the series than anything that appeared in the prequels. It's just such a horrible, horrible idea. Luckily, as far as I know, there's no reason to even suspect that it's the case.

In contrast, Anakin building C-3PO by hand does nothing except emphasize C-3PO's peculiar connection to humanity and the natural world, and more specifically his thematic kinship to Darth Vader, elements which were inherent to the original films. It's not comparable to the above idea in any way, unless you're trying to make the argument that C-3PO's connection to the young Darth Vader is contrived in some way. Well, it isn't.

There's absolutely nothing contrived about C-3PO and R2-D2's connection to the main characters in the prequels. The problem is that everyone always insists on looking at things backwards. The prequels, obviously, take place chronologically before the originals. The way the story of the prequels unfold, it ends up being perfectly natural for the droids to end up in the hands of the Organas serving them on their private blockade runner.

From that point, it makes perfect sense that they'd end up at the center of the war of rebellion against the Empire, and it's perfectly plausible that the ever reliable Artoo would be entrusted with a secret mission to deliver a message to Ben Kenobi on Tatooine. Ben Kenobi, remember, is one of two remaining Jedi allies of the Rebels left in the galaxy, and also the very reason Bail Organa ended up in possession of the two droids in the first place (he's literally the one who brought them to Bail's blockade runner in Episode III). It isn't terribly surprising that any droid belonging to one of the leaders of the Rebellion would at some point come into contact with Kenobi, let alone two trusted droids who actually share a history with him.

And the only reason Artoo and Threepio run into Luke first is because they're aiming for the part of the planet where Ben Kenobi lives, which is obviously going to be a stone's throw away from where Luke lives. And on a barren planet like Tatooine, where people live hundreds of miles away from each other across tracts of utterly barren desert, if they were going to run into anybody, it was going to be either Ben or Luke.

All that's happening is Artoo and Threepio are bouncing around between the ownership of the Skywalkers, the Organas, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, all of whom are close associates of each other and who are therefore bound to come into further contact over the years. There's some coincidence involved, mainly regarding the circumstances in ANH wherein the droids come to be selected for this particular mission (and actually only Artoo was--Threepio just tagged along), but not any more than there ever is in any of the original Star Wars movies, and not as much as is commonly claimed. If the movies had come out in order, no one would even notice anything.

The original theme will already be "undermined" in your point of view because the Empire is reliant on someone like Jeyn's Dad instead of being this untouchable and arrogant force. Not saying that I'm a fan of the idea of him including this design flaw but you can talk it away just like you do with C3PO and the prequels (just that this time the Empire's arrogance/failure would be to not notice that someone like Jeyn's Dad introduced such a design flaw).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Nah it's a pretty big coincidence that c3po and r2 happened to know our heroes before. Not everything needs to be connected.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

rear end Catchcum posted:

Nah it's a pretty big coincidence that c3po and r2 happened to know our heroes before. Not everything needs to be connected.

It does in Star Wars, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

rear end Catchcum posted:

Star wars has literally always been a story about how all things are connected

• Locked thread