Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Who is going to disqualify him? Trump won't care (in fact, he'd consider it an asset) and the Senate is going to rubber-stamp everything.

I'm not quite as confident that the Senate will rubber stamp appointments. The Republican majority is super slim, so all it takes is a couple old Cold Warriors to stand up and make a fuss and if the Dems stand firm it's goodbye to anyone who got too cozy to Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Abu Hajaar's spirit lives on

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

3peat posted:

This gimmick is extremely boring.

The "moderate rebel" meme on the other hand is new and exciting.

MikeCrotch posted:

Not sure if you've been paying attention but the Iraqi army of 2016 is quite a bit different to the Iraqi army of 2014

ISIS didn't take Mosul because they were good at fighting. They took it because the Sunnis in the Iraqi army had no interest in fighting them.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Middle East Thread of Despair : I'm so tired of all these rear end struggles.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Update from the weird twitter warfighter

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/797129909911035904

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

Update from the weird twitter warfighter

https://twitter.com/PissPigGranddad/status/794782564258959360

:psyduck:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody should buy him an account.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Well, I've learned via PMs that the perma is going through for me, so this will my last post with this account.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That guy rules.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

fade5 posted:

Well, I've learned via PMs that the perma is going through for me, so this will my last post with this account.

Godspeed, and welcome fade6

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

fade5 posted:

:rip: Thanks for all the good posts

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Friendly Humour posted:

Somebody should buy him an account.

why is Caro not a mod?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 12, 2016

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

fade5 posted:

F

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

married but discreet posted:

Godspeed, and welcome fade6
I thought about that, but I decided that's not a very inventive name, is it? I wanted something a little more fitting of my ME thread posting.

Greetings everyone.:tipshat:

Linking to my last post for future reference for me any everyone else. It's only my old account that's perma'd; I've got the okay, I don't have to pretend I'm someone new.

E: I have to give a huge shout-out to Fizzil, who has been super awesome and made this new account possible. Thanks dude.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 20, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Saladin Rising posted:

I thought about that, but I decided that's not a very inventive name, is it? I wanted something a little more fitting of my ME thread posting.

Greetings everyone.:tipshat:

Linking to my last post for future reference for me any everyone else. It's only my old account that's perma'd; I've got the okay, I don't have to pretend I'm someone new.

E: I have to give a huge shout-out to Fizzil, who has been super awesome and made this new account possible. Thanks dude.

Better name, it'll do.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The YPG is awesome and the best M.E. faction and gently caress all the others.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pisspiginperson

https://twitter.com/DefenceUnits/status/796670099960791040

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gonna giggle and giggle if Mosul and Raqqa fall before the Trumpscension. :v:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Gonna giggle and giggle if Mosul and Raqqa fall before the Trumpscension. :v:
In retrospect, Obama probably wanted Mosul and Raqqa in motion before he got out of office just in case something bad popped up, although he probably didn't expect "Trump was elected president" to be the something bad that popped up.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 12, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Saladin Rising posted:

In retrospect, Obama probably wanted Mosul and Raqqa in motion before he got out of office just in case something bad popped up, although he probably didn't expect "Trump was elected president" to be the something bad that popped up.

Yeah, Trump has tons of bad ideas, but I do not think he actually wants the US to lose in Iraq and Syria. If we are winning Mosul and Raqqa, he'll follow through.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, Trump has tons of bad ideas, but I do not think he actually wants the US to lose in Iraq and Syria. If we are winning Mosul and Raqqa, he'll follow through.

His big foreign policy point during the campaign was to "work with Russia" on defeating ISIS. I assume that is also going also include JaN (which the US is now targeting under Obama btw).

I guess we have to see what Trump actually does at this point since it is still very vague even after the election. Will Trump follow the course he set for himself or fall inline with the DC establishment he railed so hard against?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

His big foreign policy point during the campaign was to "work with Russia" on defeating ISIS. I assume that is also going also include JaN (which the US is now targeting under Obama btw).

I guess we have to see what Trump actually does at this point since it is still very vague even after the election. Will Trump follow the course he set for himself or fall inline with the DC establishment he railed so hard against?

During the campaign, Pence said in an interview that they were going to be looking to establish a no fly zone in Syria. They brought that up to Trump and he said no that's not true, we're not going to do that. On the other hand, the people he has brought on board so far are the same old school neocons you'd see in any establishment Republican administration. Personally, I think when it comes to foreign policy, Michael Flynn is going to be Trump's go to guy, so that should give you an idea of the type of platform he will have, but at this point it's all speculation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Volkerball posted:

During the campaign, Pence said in an interview that they were going to be looking to establish a no fly zone in Syria. They brought that up to Trump and he said no that's not true, we're not going to do that. On the other hand, the people he has brought on board so far are the same old school neocons you'd see in any establishment Republican administration. Personally, I think when it comes to foreign policy, Michael Flynn is going to be Trump's go to guy, so that should give you an idea of the type of platform he will have, but at this point it's all speculation.

Yeah, who I've seen listed (Bannon and Flynn, Bolton and Gingrich) are so wildly opposed to possible policies on Syria it's just completely up in the air at this point.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Aliquid posted:

Yeah, who I've seen listed (Bannon and Flynn, Bolton and Gingrich) are so wildly opposed to possible policies on Syria it's just completely up in the air at this point.

Yeah it is going to be interesting to see how the Russophiles get along with the neo-cons at this point especially since it is difficult to see a workable middle ground between two different factions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah that Russophile stuff has p much zero support in the US govt. Russophiles in the US tend to be waaay into the alternative media world and are generally dedicated non-voters. They might have backed Trump, but I'll be really surprised if US policy under Trump is meaningfully aligns with Russian aims.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Anybody got an ID on this vehicle?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah that Russophile stuff has p much zero support in the US govt. Russophiles in the US tend to be waaay into the alternative media world and are generally dedicated non-voters. They might have backed Trump, but I'll be really surprised if US policy under Trump is meaningfully aligns with Russian aims.

Granted, there is also still a general fatigue of interventionism among the US population and Trump had harnessed that fatigue. Also Trump doesn't need to necessary openly align with Russian aims, but step back from interventionism.

At the end of the day, foreign policy is what Trump has the most power over. Of course, we just have to see how it works out since announcements haven't been made yet.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Bagram Airfield was just suicide bombed during a Veterans Day run.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcnews.com/news/world/amp/suicide-bomber-attacks-bagram-airfield-afghanistan-n682866

American service members were killed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ardennes posted:

Granted, there is also still a general fatigue of interventionism among the US population and Trump had harnessed that fatigue. Also Trump doesn't need to necessary openly align with Russian aims, but step back from interventionism.

At the end of the day, foreign policy is what Trump has the most power over. Of course, we just have to see how it works out since announcements haven't been made yet.

I agree that Trump has control over overt foreign policy, but he's such an outsider that he's going to have abnormally little control or understanding of the three letter agencies and what they do and how they work and how to influence them. I'd fully expect them to actually work against Trump if he got too passive towards Russian interests.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Some sort of MRAP (perhaps a Casspir?) with extra armour panelling and a BMP turret attached to the top.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm glad that @PissPigGranddad is getting more attention

http://theweek.com/speedreads/661581/florist-from-california-driving-homemade-tank-battle-isis-syria

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Some sort of MRAP (perhaps a Casspir?) with extra armour panelling and a BMP turret attached to the top.

Thanks!

Also I hope PPG doesn't die.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Mainstream media reports are trickling in that new American admin will likely be pro-Assad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/world/middleeast/donald-trump-syria.html?smid=tw-share

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...g-a7413346.html

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It's the ME, so there's probably a Hilux in there somewhere.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Everything's coming up Assad!

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Horns of Hattin posted:

Everything's coming up Assad!

It's like the universe refuses to poo poo on these little tinpot dictators. Come on.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Assad is the preferred victor, a secularist Shi'ite versus well. . .

So congrats, Bashar.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
Apparently one Iranian (pro regime) journalist died today in Minyan https://twitter.com/RomainCaillet/status/797498865985482752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Enjoy 4+ years of well deserved terrorist attacks America! You've earned it!

• Locked thread