Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Doesn't the California Governor suck?

Jerry Brown is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: also stop picking sitting Senators. We don't have seats to burn on Presidential candidates right now.

Edit 2: motherfucker Harris is a Senator now gently caress we're doomed all the good candidates are loving Senators.

Obama was a sitting senator when he was elected, though?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bip Roberts posted:

Jerry Brown is okay.

Weird. I could've sworn I remembered people talking about a bad California Governor either in or impending. I don't know poo poo about California though.

Edit: ^ we controlled the Senate at that point and were poised to gain power, right now we don't have seats to burn.

Like if we have somebody from a blue state we know for sure is replaceable fine but I have a feeling a lot of people here want somebody from a swing state we couldn't easily replace. The lack of depth of talent or a meaningful bench is murdering us.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, things to be done:

1. Repair the division between urban and rural voters,
2. Deny the race and class war being cultivated by the establishment to keep us fighting each other and keep them in power,
3. Blockade the gently caress out of Trump and Pence as much as possible.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The left doesn't like Gavin Newsom so unless he appoints Bernie 2.0 they will be unsatisfied. But of course he will appoint a mainstream Democrat. WTF.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Cross-post from election thread:

Kilroy posted:

Quit worrying about "the bench". "The bench" will take care of itself once Democrats start taking midterm elections seriously and challenging Republicans in red districts with a progressive agenda and forcing them to defend the nihilism that lies at the heart of their party.

You can get someone elected to the some House district in 2018 and run him for President in 2020 and he'll have a chance. Or you can take someone already in office but who does good work even though no one has ever heard of him. Such people do exist, you know.

The Democrats seem to think that the only people who have a shot at the Presidency ever, are like the top 5 Democrats in Washington right now. If you think like that you'll always be worrying about the drat bench because you've made it very short for no reason at all. I mean even the current President is an example of this, yet for some reason people keep thinking like you need decades of careful planning and strategy before you can even think about running for President. You need to do that if you're Hillary Clinton, apparently, but let's not run another Hillary Clinton okay?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Weird. I could've sworn I remembered people talking about a bad California Governor either in or impending. I don't know poo poo about California though.

Edit: ^ we controlled the Senate at that point and were poised to gain power, right now we don't have seats to burn.

Like if we have somebody from a blue state we know for sure is replaceable fine but I have a feeling a lot of people here want somebody from a swing state we couldn't easily replace. The lack of depth of talent or a meaningful bench is murdering us.

We Californians like Jerry Brown enough that we wanted him back 30 years after his first tenure as governor

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Trump won't quit, but it wouldn't be terribly surprising to me for him to say gently caress this and not run again in four years depending on how things go.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rex-Goliath posted:

I just now remembered that he was building out the infrastructure for his own TV network and now that he actually won he can't do that any more.

Jesus Christ his campaign really is the political re-imagining of 'The Producers'

Yes he can. There's no law that prohibits a POTUS from running their private business, and didn't LBJ run a broadcasting business while president?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

3. Blockade the gently caress out of Trump and Pence as much as possible.

Yeah I hoenstly hope that the democrats don't try to play nice with the Republicans. The Republicans sure as gently caress didn't the past eight years. It also shows voters that you are standing by your convictions.

gently caress this "cooperate to make the bills slightly less bad" bull poo poo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I kinda want them to rip apart Donnie's tower to remodel/add security stuff, only to find evidence for all the bad things in the walls, but a Pence admin scares me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Monaghan posted:

Yeah I hoenstly hope that the democrats don't try to play nice with the Republicans. The Republicans sure as gently caress didn't the past eight years. It also shows voters that you are standing by your convictions.

gently caress this "cooperate to make the bills slightly less bad" bull poo poo.

I've had enough of the Democrats being aisle-reaching pussies. We need to fight back.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes he can. There's no law that prohibits a POTUS from running their private business, and didn't LBJ run a broadcasting business while president?

No the whole schtick was going to be his alliance with Breitbart and they'd talk non-stop about how the election was stolen from him and how corrupt everything is because that's what keeps people mad and mad people are the best at generating ad revenue.

Now he's exposed and has no excuses. There's no one that he can blame

It's why all the usual suspects on Fox or on AM radio never ever run for office

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I've had enough of the Democrats being aisle-reaching pussies. We need to fight back.

100% this gently caress cooperation

If they won't play ball why should dems? I want any dem working with republicans primaried into oblivion

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tir McDohl posted:

We Californians like Jerry Brown enough that we wanted him back 30 years after his first tenure as governor

Wow. That's kinda interesting. Why did he leave in the first place?

Who is Gavin Newsom?

Kilroy posted:

Cross-post from election thread:

Conceptually I agree but I think this severely underestimates how hard it is to get Democrats to vote in off-years and how hard it will be to get non-poo poo Democrats outside of blue states.

The types of Dems the 50 state strategy attracted and put into office are the type the people in this thread want to have executed. While I wouldn't mind Lieberman's head on a pike, that puts us in a tough spot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tir McDohl posted:

100% this gently caress cooperation

If they won't play ball why should dems? I want any dem working with republicans primaried into oblivion

At the very least, they should blockade anything that's flat-out unforgivable - anything that removes rights. Human rights are inalienable and curtailing them will never be tolerated.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I agree in spirit that we should not cooperate but I also look forward to a) the media double standard because we're supposed to be the serious adults in the room who compromise to govern while Republicans can poo poo on the carpet and be forgiven like a puppy dog and b) when the Republicans just nuke the filibuster and decide to ram poo poo through wholesale.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Gavin Newsom is the lieutenant governor and has the CA governorship on lock after Brown's term ends in 2 years, he's buddy buddy with SV oligarchs so the left hates him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gail Wynand posted:

Gavin Newsom is the lieutenant governor and has the CA governorship on lock after Brown's term ends in 2 years, he's buddy buddy with SV oligarchs so the left hates him.

Oh so this is the guy I was thinking of. See I'm not crazy! :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree in spirit that we should not cooperate but I also look forward to a) the media double standard because we're supposed to be the serious adults in the room who compromise to govern while Republicans can poo poo on the carpet and be forgiven like a puppy dog and b) when the Republicans just nuke the filibuster and decide to ram poo poo through wholesale.

We're done being nice. We've got lives on the line, here. If it requires becoming demons, so be it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Pollyanna posted:

I'm angry as hell how Warren and Sanders said they'd cooperate with the president-elect. We know full well who he is, what he's now capable of, and what his cronies are planning. This is the time to declare our full opposition to him, dammit

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's almost like Sanders is a politician by and for white people!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm angry as hell how Warren and Sanders said they'd cooperate with the president-elect. We know full well who he is, what he's now capable of, and what his cronies are planning. This is the time to declare our full opposition to him, dammit

To be fair, Sanders said that if Trump ever proposes something that can possibly do good, they're willing to listen. If he and his administration push anything racist, misogynistic, or bigoted (i.e. everything he actually does), Sanders pledges to vehemently oppose them.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

Conceptually I agree but I think this severely underestimates how hard it is to get Democrats to vote in off-years and how hard it will be to get non-poo poo Democrats outside of blue states.

The types of Dems the 50 state strategy attracted and put into office are the type the people in this thread want to have executed. While I wouldn't mind Lieberman's head on a pike, that puts us in a tough spot.
Yeah I'm not sure what to do about that. On the one hand you could just run actual Progressives in those districts with the knowledge that most of them will lose but, hey, you're still giving Republicans a run for their money and forcing them to defend those districts. On the other hand you could run Blue Dogs thinking more of them will win, but at the same time you sacrifice your message nationally.

I'm for the former strategy, by the way. Republicans aren't going to vote for Blue Dogs anymore - they're too polarized - and sacrificing the message nationally will depress turnout nationally.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pollyanna posted:

We're done being nice. We've got lives on the line, here. If it requires becoming demons, so be it.

Oh I don't disagree whatsoever. I'm just suggesting that such a thing won't go as well as I wish it would.

People expect Republicans to be children and Democrats to be adults. They'll equate us in a heartbeat if we do what they've been doing. We should do it anyway because it's the right thing to do but throw it on the pile of poo poo that will make rebuilding harder too.

Kilroy posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what to do about that. On the one hand you could just run actual Progressives in those districts with the knowledge that most of them will lose but, hey, you're still giving Republicans a run for their money and forcing them to defend those districts. On the other hand you could run Blue Dogs thinking more of them will win, but at the same time you sacrifice your message nationally.

I'm for the former strategy, by the way. Republicans aren't going to vote for Blue Dogs anymore - they're too polarized - and sacrificing the message nationally will depress turnout nationally.

This runs into the problem of getting establishment backing and more importantly money.

Everything always has downsides and drawbacks. :smith:

Gail Wynand posted:

You know I agree with the idea that Sanders sacrificed too many racial issues and other identity politics in his message and wasn't as receptive to the concerns of minorities as he could've been but this is bizarrely vindictive and unfair.

Also Sanders and Warren being conciliatory is the right play at this moment. Let the Republicans think they can leave the filibuster alone. Then filibuster their poo poo.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
double post I suck

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Gail Wynand posted:

This dumb poo poo right here helped Trump get elected

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

sd6 posted:

This dumb poo poo right here helped Trump get elected

So did the same poo poo said about Clinton.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Good because Bernie's going no where. Except dying of old age hah.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Benny the Snake posted:

You should not run for office.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Identity politics suck rear end and is why Bernie would have been good. Hopefully he's not dead in four years, or someone else like him can run.

e: Which is not to say I think they're meaningless but class issues are what really need to be addressed and Obama did none of that. Neoliberalism...gently caress it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ginette Reno posted:

Identity politics suck rear end and is why Bernie would have been good. Hopefully he's not dead in four years, or someone else like him can run.

e: Which is not to say I think they're meaningless but class issues are what really need to be addressed and Obama did none of that. Neoliberalism...gently caress it

This is the type of thing that gives minorities good reasons to flee from white progressives.

Do not lead your pitch with "focusing on minority issues sucks rear end" because lmao what the gently caress dude.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I, too, think letting minorities continue to get systematically hosed is the true core of the progressive ideal.

Oh wait no I don't, gently caress off.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Look, let's just have each other's backs, okay? We'll tell the racists to gently caress off and destroy capitalism. It'll be okay.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Ginette Reno posted:

Mmmmm I'm going to choose to assume that your heart is in the right place, but dismissing the specific oppressions that people who are not straight white males like us (going out on a limb here that you are a straight white male) is not the way forward. We need a populist message that addresses the economic concerns of ALL workers, but not at the expense of tossing aside vulnerable members of society.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Shortest Path posted:

I, too, think letting minorities continue to get systematically hosed is the true core of the progressive ideal.

Oh wait no I don't, gently caress off.

Helping with social issues on one hand while handing the banks money and not taxing the rich in the other is loving minorities way worse than actually addressing economic inequality would.

I mean ideally you do both but my point is the loving DNC pulls the wool over people's eyes by running lovely candidates like Obama and Hillary who are proud to address social issues but fail miserably at actually helping middle/low class people economically. There will continue to be a backlash by those groups to the DNC as long as they continue to do that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, it's entirely possible to do the Bernie thing while also heavily advocating for issues affecting minorities, but you have to emphasize the latter because white progressives have a long history of loving over minorities when it comes to things that will supposedly help everyone. See: the aftermath of the New Deal, the systematic loving of black and latino agricultural workers while everyone else got helped, etc.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

It seems like a lot of people want the Dems to put minority issues on the backburner and focus more on policies that are pertinent to white people. What does this entail, though? Less focus on criminal justice reform? Using the magical words "radical Islamic terrorism"? What is it about appealing to POCs that is turning so many white voters off?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cult member at airport posted:

It seems like a lot of people want the Dems to put minority issues on the backburner and focus more on policies that are pertinent to white people. What does this entail, though? Less focus on criminal justice reform? Using the magical words "radical Islamic terrorism"? What is it about appealing to POCs that is turning so many white voters off?

The answer to that is simply racism and FYGM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I still say the answer is to cultivate, nurture, run, and highlight candidates who are POC, LGBT, and women.

A white progressive tells you no war but the class war and you flee in terror. Keith Ellison tells you we're going to lift up the poor and oppressed of all kinds and make sure everyone can succeed and the message is received completely differently even if it's the same in practice.

Obama was far from perfect but his economic populism drew millions of POC and women. Bernie's didn't nearly as much. I think there's a lesson to be learned there for all progressives.

• Locked thread