Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gully Foyle posted:

Specifically, certain Ancient and Classical Wonders seem like they need a buff. Great Library went from one of top wonders in Civ 5 to nearly garbage tier now. Ironically, it's actually a better wonder for a Culture victory since it gives you spots to put those Works of Writing in. The mid-game are mostly fine to good, the late-game wonders are good if you are going Cultural (since basically all of them are for that).

I think older wonders give more tourism in the later eras, so that might make the ancient and classical wonders better for the tourism victory. But since tourism is as opaque as it was in V, and seems to do nothing other than win the game, I must conclude that tourism sucks and you there are were right about ancient and classical wonders. So now I wonder why I wrote this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Gort posted:

I wonder if neither of you have any ships, so your navy is equal to his, and he respects that.

:ughh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Has anyone actually figured out what the tourism formula is yet? V's screen was so much better at surfacing how things were contributing to your cultural victory, even down to having a turn countdown

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

enraged_camel posted:

Harald just complimented me on my strong navy. I don't have a single ship, much less a harbor or even a city on the coast...

Did you embark a unit?

Did you name one of your cities "this is a ship"?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has anyone actually figured out what the tourism formula is yet? V's screen was so much better at surfacing how things were contributing to your cultural victory, even down to having a turn countdown

If you use the Relics view at the top left you can see what's driving tourism. View Reports, too.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Did you embark a unit?

No and no, although I might name my next city "Iron" and see if the AI casually asks for it in return for 1 gold per turn for 30 turns.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Did you embark a unit?

You know you can't rename cities in VI. :rolleyes:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

You know you can't rename cities in VI. :rolleyes:

You must be fun at parties.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

enraged_camel posted:

THC is probably mentioning that as a "Why the hell doesn't it work". Because why the hell can't you rename cities.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Taear posted:

THC is probably mentioning that as a "Why the hell doesn't it work". Because why the hell can't you rename cities.

Maybe the db is keyed on the names or something retarded like that

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Well that was odd. Kongo declared on me, so I beat him up and took his lunch money. Shortly after, Vicky comes in and wipes him out. I'm still getting the GPT from the peace with Kongo though. :psyduck:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

enraged_camel posted:

Do you know how much space on the map one of those would take?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The quote for Construction really annoys me. I really hate the direction they took regarding flavor text and quotes in this game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there a mod to bring back quotes from 4/5 yet? I would rather hear Morgan Sheppard read the prophecy from The Books of Chilam Balam than Sean Bean reading a blog post from IslaDeb

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The quote for Construction really annoys me. I really hate the direction they took regarding flavor text and quotes in this game.

It's like they let someone's fun aunt pick the quotes.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I played IV & V on immortal. What's a good difficulty to start on? In my first game right now and prince seems far too easy - I'm at turn 80 and the AI hasn't even settled any extra cities :wtc:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Smol posted:

I played IV & V on immortal. What's a good difficulty to start on? In my first game right now and prince seems far too easy - I'm at turn 80 and the AI hasn't even settled any extra cities :wtc:

Immortal. You might even be able to win at Deity after 1-3 games.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

enraged_camel posted:

"Continents" map also has borders.

no.

source: i exclusively play "continents"

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I use the achievements as a checklist for all the Civs, maps, and difficulty levels. It's nice to get the kookier ones but I don't stress over those, it's not like you get a platinum on Steam or anything

Yeah, I started a huge island plates game fully intending to win a Domination victory for that cheevo. But uh, I rolled Pericles and quickly learned that Pericles owns bones with Culture. So, another time...

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Smol posted:

The AI isn't going to be competent for at least a patch or two, so go hog wild with the difficulty

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

The AI isn't going to be competent so go hog wild with the difficulty

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I don't really expect the game to get much better with patches, it'll just be weird and unbalanced in different ways. See Civ 5 and infinite city spam at release, followed by outcry, and eventually building more than four cities became a luxury choice.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

The AI isn't going to be competent until we make major breakthroughs in quantum computers that harness contained singularities as power sources, so go hog wild with the difficulty

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Is there no screen to see my active trade deals? I have 2-3 copies of citrus and tobacco improved in my territory but the trade screen only shows 1 copy of each, this makes sense since I traded some away for gold, but I'd like to know when I get them back since I'd like to trade them for other amenities instead.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I get the feeling that the same smug guys who claim this game is a cakewalk are either abusing Hansa/Horse Economy and or cherrypicking their poo poo or perhaps they are the legendary Good Goonsİ. I FINALLY managed to win an Immortal 4player game and boy did it cost me. With England none the less!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

turboraton posted:

I get the feeling that the same smug guys who claim this game is a cakewalk are either abusing Hansa/Horse Economy and or cherrypicking their poo poo or perhaps they are the legendary Good Goonsİ. I FINALLY managed to win an Immortal 4player game and boy did it cost me. With England none the less!

I feel like there is a early-mid game hump that once you get over you are destined to win regardless, excepting some dude on the other side of the world getting religous victory or something.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

My favorite part of fighting over the limited late game strategic resources is not knowing that you don't have them until after the leader already knows that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So if a spy steals money from you that's larger than the amount you have, it seems like it just continues draining your treasury to 0 every turn. Every time this happens you get a negative to happiness. My units are being constantly disbanded and rebellion is beginning because even though I have positive income my money resets to zero each turn.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Amenities are fun and good.

posted 2 months after release

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Das Butterbrot posted:

no.

source: i exclusively play "continents"

Hmm... Isn't it the default map setting? I've played like 8 games on it so far and they all had maps with borders.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

So if a spy steals money from you that's larger than the amount you have, it seems like it just continues draining your treasury to 0 every turn. Every time this happens you get a negative to happiness. My units are being constantly disbanded and rebellion is beginning because even though I have positive income my money resets to zero each turn.

Yep! I've had this a few times and no matter how much your income you don't seem to be able to do anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Does Firaxis have a bug reporting system? I've just found a reproducible CTD.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Grand Fromage posted:

Does Firaxis have a bug reporting system? I've just found a reproducible CTD.

Not as far as I'm aware. You could post it here I guess, there's no indication that anyone at Firaxis actually reads that forum but lots of other people post bugs there so maybe there's a reason for its existence?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's annoying. Someone else already posted it there though and an apparent workaround. If you get the change policies screen and trade route chooser up at the same time the game crashes if you change policies before picking the trade route.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I feel like there is a early-mid game hump that once you get over you are destined to win regardless, excepting some dude on the other side of the world getting religous victory or something.

Yeah, if you manage to win the inevitable first war and take over the other guy, you might as well start a new game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Megazver posted:

Yeah, if you manage to win the inevitable first war and take over the other guy, you might as well start a new game.

Whereas if you're fighting them and they manage to get up walls you might as well restart because otherwise it's an annoying busy slog.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That's annoying. Someone else already posted it there though and an apparent workaround. If you get the change policies screen and trade route chooser up at the same time the game crashes if you change policies before picking the trade route.

Yeah I posted about this bug earlier and I was also looking to see if there was any place to report it. It was doubly painful happening in a multiplayer game, I had to reload and do the whole lobby process half a dozen times before I figured out what was causing the crash.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Taear posted:

Whereas if you're fighting them and they manage to get up walls you might as well restart because otherwise it's an annoying busy slog.

Eh, the walls aren't that bad. Or, at the very least, the degree of slog between walls and no walls doesn't change much, if you ask me. Just bring a ram.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Megazver posted:

Eh, the walls aren't that bad. Or, at the very least, the degree of slog between walls and no walls doesn't change much, if you ask me. Just bring a ram.

On a huge map though it can take AGES to get that ram to them. It's so much more effort! Especially as Sumeria or Scythia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It takes AGES to do anything military in this game, unfortunately.

I think for VII I just want them to loving remake IV. Give me my doomstacks back, I don't care anymore.