Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Played from 5 to 27. Now don't play because my joints are broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

I started when I was 4 and am still poo poo*

*at using my left foot for anything beyond basic trapping

Same, but I'm actually quite good at using my left foot (as a result of my footwork being poo poo).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As if using your left foot is hard

(Don't ask me about my right foot)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any thoughts on a good formation for a team that doesn't have a lot of midfield talent? I help coach a girls select team at the U13 level. This is their first year playing full sides on a regulation pitch. We really only have two girls who I would consider legitimate center midfielders and another who would make a great defensive midfielder. We've been trying 4-4-2 but the head coach has been trying a diamond midfield but I think that's a little too tactically complex for kids who are just starting to learn the ins and outs of true positional play. I think a straight 4-4-2 might be best. Thoughts?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

3-5-2 and just cram as many bodies in there as possible?

yay broke another finger in the last game of the season (before the finals, anyway). Made a save about 30 min in and knew immediately it was badly fractured, played the rest of the game and made a few saves with that hand which wasn't pleasant. Sadly we lost 6-5 to a goal in the last minute, but we still qualified high enough to get a week off for the first week of the playoffs. Now I've got 3 weeks to heal before we start the knockout games :/.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

vulturesrow posted:

Any thoughts on a good formation for a team that doesn't have a lot of midfield talent? I help coach a girls select team at the U13 level. This is their first year playing full sides on a regulation pitch. We really only have two girls who I would consider legitimate center midfielders and another who would make a great defensive midfielder. We've been trying 4-4-2 but the head coach has been trying a diamond midfield but I think that's a little too tactically complex for kids who are just starting to learn the ins and outs of true positional play. I think a straight 4-4-2 might be best. Thoughts?

I haven't got far enough in my coaching courses to be authoritative on this but in my experience playing flat 4-4-2 properly is very demanding positionally, and especially so on the fullbacks who tend to be the weakest players in a junior team. 3-5-2 is much easier to start from because everybody except the sweeper is simply man marking (though you might not call it that working with a girls' team?). If the opposition play 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 then you push one man marking centre back into midfield and bring the wingbacks back, so you end up with a 4-4-2 diamond. In that sense it's about as straightforward as you can get defensively as long as everyone gets a clear idea early on of who they should be marking. Attacking is mostly about teaching the attacking midfielder to find space and everyone else to give that player the ball whenever they can, so that might be a problem if you don't have someone suited to it, but it shouldn't be a tactical issue.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 22, 2016

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I broke my ulna jut below the elbow today playing indoor. Tapped the ball around a guy and he hip-checked me, I went bottom over top and reflexively braced my fall with my left arm. Audible snap and sagging arm. I loving hate that team so much.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
my coed 11v11 team ended the season with 1 tie and 8 losses with a GD of -29

the makeup of the team is horrible (all the guys are midfielders and don't/can't want to play defense) and the manager tends to recruit friends over those who can improve the team. it's very frustrating

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The Ray Parlour › The Locker Room: never play coed

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
but there isn't really anything in my post that's specific to coed

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah anything more than a 4-4-2 is hard for kids to grasp. The 4-4-2 is easy because it takes the natural shape of the field.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think 442 is easier to "get" but cramming the middle of the park with bodies is probably generally more effective in getting wins at that level.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I don't see how 4-4-2 is easier to get than 4-3-3, but where I come from 4-3-3 is the 'default' formation.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Messyass posted:

I don't see how 4-4-2 is easier to get than 4-3-3, but where I come from 4-3-3 is the 'default' formation.

City league forwards can not be trusted to play defense.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
in my experience the only people who can be trusted to play defense are the ones who were too winded to help out with the attack

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

vulturesrow posted:

4 5 1

Cram that midfield, the two natural center-mids play either side of your holding mid.
The striker will need a sub, lots of running for her but I don't care ........I don't like forwards and I like to see them run.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Anyone here play in the L.A. area? I played for years in AYSO as a kid and am 31 now, so I'd probably be a beginner or one step above that in rec leagues. I don't really know how to go about finding a casual game when I don't know anyone that plays.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Might try meetup.com to find a pickup game.

I don't know the specific adult leagues in LA but most of the casual ones will let you sign up as a single at the beginning of the season and then they will put you on an existing team OR they will forge a new team out of singles which you can watch disintegrate through the first few weeks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm in LA and I play with group on meetup that's cool and good. It's pickup and you just play when you feel like it, but if you want to step up to something more organized there are guys there that play in leagues that could deal you in.

You can have my spot since I think I'm gonna be out for a good while. My Achilles was giving me loads of pain when I was on a trip in the UK and I pushed through it because I wasn't going to just sit in the hostel. Played today for the first time since coming back and now I can feel the tendon rubbing on the sheath with thankfully no pain. Feels like a rubber band. It's probably toast.

Between this and my groin (which is thankfully cleared up for now) , no more footie for me :(

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I was playing with my son, kicking the ball back and forth and goofing off. I nutmegged him. I feel like a bad person for that. He is 2

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

I was playing with my son, kicking the ball back and forth and goofing off. I nutmegged him. I feel like a bad person for that. He is 2

Dominating your children at sports until they can beat you is a time-honored fatherly tradition.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Soulex posted:

That's a good thing. Toughen the kid up.
He'll learn not to be nutmegged.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Just played in my first game since I broke my arm. It felt so good to play again. Even the hour or so of build up prior to the game was a good feeling.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Anyone have any advice for getting out of a playing rut? Last couple of weeks I've been completely shithouse, can't trap, shoot, pass, anything. Averaging a couple of goals a week beforehand and playing pretty decent otherwise without setting the world alight.

I don't think I've had this happen before, no idea how to play my way out of it

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You could practice more

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Suicide it is then

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Serious answer: I'm practicing about as often as I always have, just everything feels a bit off. I can do solo stuff alright just knocking the ball around at home, but for some reason matches have just gotten bloody hard

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Sounds like it could be a mental thing. Do you have someone you can talk to? What's going on in your life at the moment? Could it be time to confront your gf with your suspicions?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you feel like you're up in your head during the game, you can try playing sleep-deprived or with a middling hangover. I generally played better when I was a little altered like that because my brain is garbage and fitness wasn't a problem.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm feeling ridiculously lazy; I was training a heap before last week and then on a training bike ride I got my leg chomped on by a friendly pitbull and now I have to wait till the wounds are healed and not one kick away from bursting all my stitches. All I want to do is go for a run or kick a ball around :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is anyone else in this thread a late-bloomer? I didn't start playing till I was 26 and it's a shame because I think I would have been better playing soccer than basketball in high school. I've taken to the sport pretty well, and I have a poo poo-ton more fun playing it.
I played from when I was around 10, never on a team or anything, just with a few lads on my street and in school. I mostly stopped playing around 16, with my friends in school I mostly played basketball instead. I picked it back up again when I was about 27. I started a job where guys in the office would go for a weekly game of 5 a side. I joined a team after that and am still playing 2-3 times a week at the grand old age of 36.

I was probably lucky to have played as a kid, once I started playing again I at least had the basic skills, and once my touch came back I was able to get back into it quickly.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Tongues posted:

Anyone have any advice for getting out of a playing rut? Last couple of weeks I've been completely shithouse, can't trap, shoot, pass, anything. Averaging a couple of goals a week beforehand and playing pretty decent otherwise without setting the world alight.

Find some scrubs to play pickup with, some people where it will be a more relaxed environment. You'll play better because these guys hopefully won't take it as seriously and you can just enjoy a game. This will do wonders for your confidence.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tongues posted:

Maybe you've always been poo poo but have been in an extended purple patch for the past 20 years and you're just reverting to type now :twisted:

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Tongues posted:

Have you tried just simplifying your game? Like just focusing in on positioning and winnging physical battle type stuff that's less results oriented? Good team mates will notice and be less pissy at you then if you're just poo poo and mopey.

Commit to that well enough and you may get a call up to the English team.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Playing in the finals tonight, will report back if I get called by southgate or not

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Played pretty poorly again, but we won the league and I saved a penalty. I think I played alright in patches but was mostly gash - fitness is good, mood good etc so no easy culprit.

Might take a week off and see if I'm magically springing back into form after Christmas

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
who loving cares if you are 'good' or not. just play and enjoy the sport.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

oliwan posted:

who loving cares if you are 'good' or not. just play and enjoy the sport.

True, but I do find it strange that the arse completely fell out of how I'm playing. I know it's all in my head, and that's why I asked the football playing thread for advice on what I can do :shrug:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tongues posted:

Played pretty poorly again, but we won the league and I saved a penalty. I think I played alright in patches but was mostly gash - fitness is good, mood good etc so no easy culprit.

Might take a week off and see if I'm magically springing back into form after Christmas

Saved a penalty? Aren't you a defender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Tongues posted:

Its doesn't sound like you deserve a week off tbh. I think you should train harder but only use your weaker foot