Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

rear end struggle posted:

Enjoy 4+ years of well deserved terrorist attacks America! You've earned it!

Hope we bomb the Ottoman Empire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

gently caress you.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Let's create and arm jihadists all over the middle east and then abandon them as soon as it is convenient abandon them. I'm sure they won't bear any resentment at all when we start bombing for Assad.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Let's create and arm jihadists all over the middle east and then abandon them as soon as it is convenient abandon them. I'm sure they won't bear any resentment at all when we start bombing for Assad.

Let's just arm the ypg and be their air force because marxism is better than jihad.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Panzeh posted:

Let's just arm the ypg and be their air force because marxism is better than jihad.

I somehow think that the Russian's selected American cabinet won't arm communists who also have a low intensity war with Assad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Russia has directly assisted the YPG multiple times, including very recently.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Sinteres posted:

Russia has directly assisted the YPG multiple times, including very recently.

And they have bombed the YPG

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I somehow think that the Russian's selected American cabinet won't arm communists who also have a low intensity war with Assad.
Actually, I think the SDF are a group that both Trump and his likely neocon cabinet can agree on.

The neocons already love the SDF cuz it checks all the boxes they want: it's a US-friendly group, they hold actual territory, the US has already set up a base (or two) there, and those bases provides an easy way to plop special forces and other spooks in Syria to get up to whatever fun poo poo the neocons want to do. I mean, what better place is there to destabilize Assad from than inside his own country? Meanwhile, the SDF has an incentive to let the US do whatever we want as long as we keep flying the US flags and keep Turkey from shooting at the SDF. Not too hard, since we don't want our SOF and other spooks getting shot at either.

The SDF check Trump's boxes too: Trump's said he wants to work with Russia to "knock the hell out of ISIS", and the PYD has opened a Moscow office (among other places like Germany), so hey these SDF guys are a group the US and Russia can bigly agree on backing.

Trump himself knows very little about the Middle East, but he falls into the "Kurds are the good guys" mindset:

quote:

DT: Oh, I thought you said Kurds, Kurds.
HH: No, Quds.
DT: Oh, I’m sorry, I thought you said Kurds, because I think the Kurds have been poorly treated by us, Hugh. Go ahead.

quote:

SANGER: You said that they could be much more helpful with ISIS. I’m sure perhaps they can. The big difference they’ve had is that we’ve been supporting Kurdish forces that have been very effective ——

TRUMP: I’m a fan of the Kurds, you understand.

SANGER: But Erdogan is not. Tell us how you would deal with that?

TRUMP: Well, it would be ideal if we could get them all together. And that would be a possibility. But I’m a big fan of the Kurdish forces. At the same time, I think we have a potentially — we could have a potentially very successful relationship with Turkey. And it would be really wonderful if we could put them somehow both together.

SANGER: And what’s your diplomatic plan for doing that?

TRUMP: Meetings. If I ever have the opportunity to do it, meaning if I win, we will have meetings, we will have meetings very early on.

That type of mindset can be further influenced by targeted propaganda, and of course the YPG have made sure to keep the propaganda knob turned up to 11:
https://twitter.com/DrPartizan_/status/796695883928764416

quote:

Kurdish women of the YPJ on the #Raqqa front lines against ISIS terrorists. #WrathOfEuphrates
Don't underestimate just how effective this kind of stuff is for reinforcing the "hey look at that, they're just like us" mindset. Oh, and just as Trump hasn't distinguished between Iraqi and Syrian Kurds, neither does the propaganda. That's a feature, not a bug.

Oh, and then there's this that just popped up:
http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/...agrees--Advisor

quote:

A member of the newly elected president of the United States Donald Trump's American Middle East Advisory Committee (AMCT) on Friday said the new administration respects the people of the Kurdistan Region and their struggle for independence.

Sam Yono, an advisory to Trump for Middle East Affairs, spoke to Kurdistan24 via Skype to discuss the US’ role in the Middle East, specifically regarding the Kurds.

“We have a tremendous respect for the Kurdistan Region [and] for the leadership in Kurdistan from President [Masoud] Barzani to Prime Minister Nechirvan [Barzani] to the parliament,” Yono said.

The AMCT member also addressed the Region’s burden of housing nearly 1.8 million Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and refugees since the war with the Islamic State (IS) began in 2014. “We acknowledge all the efforts [made] toward the displaced and the refugees in [the Kurdistan Region],” he continued.

The AMCT member expressed his gratitude at the continued struggle and success of the Kurdish Peshmerga forces who are participating in the offensive to liberate Mosul from IS.

Yono explained the new US administration would consider all the efforts made by the Region once planning begins “on the drawing board” to discuss Kurdistan’s role in the Middle East. Moreover, Yono stated president-elect Trump would not “stand in the way” of Kurdish independence as long as there is an agreement between the Kurdistan Region and Iraq.

“We would like to see a worksheet, a platform from [the Kurdistan] government as soon as possible so it can be reviewed, discussed, and talked about so we can move in the right direction,” he told Kurdistan24. “If the program benefits the citizens of the region in Kurdistan and in Iraq and there is an understanding and approval by the country of Iraq, I don’t believe president-elect Trump will stand in the way,” he continued. “Nothing is impossible,” Yono concluded.
Things could get very interesting very fast.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I think most neocons still support the Turks over the PKK.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Speaking of Turks and Kurds...

https://twitter.com/Nawaroliver/status/797474488615129088

Turkish/FSA have been focusing their advance in the east and center and have just today extended the frontline with the SDF location around Manbij. So far things look to be going ok.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think most neocons still support the Turks over the PKK.

I don't think so actually now that Erdogan is swinging the pendulum back towards authoritarianism. A realist (Hi Clinton and Putin) would support the Turks pretty much no matter what to protect their sphere of interest but with Trump we could get literally anything.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile, some grim news about Egypt and its crashing economy. It would be a disaster of absurd proportions if Egypt collapses at this point. The IMF loan may help buoy things, but if the subsidy cuts turn into widespread anti-Sisi sentiment, that could get very ugly very quickly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/world/middleeast/egypt-gets-final-imf-approval-for-12-billion-loan.html?_r=0

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

suboptimal posted:

Meanwhile, some grim news about Egypt and its crashing economy. It would be a disaster of absurd proportions if Egypt collapses at this point. The IMF loan may help buoy things, but if the subsidy cuts turn into widespread anti-Sisi sentiment, that could get very ugly very quickly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/world/middleeast/egypt-gets-final-imf-approval-for-12-billion-loan.html?_r=0

I wonder if SISI was under threat whether both Putin and Trump would back him militarily. He checks a bunch of boxes for the both of them.

Of course, I don't know either the US or Russia would welcome the task of actually supporting Egypt financially.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Saladin Rising posted:

SANGER: You said that they could be much more helpful with ISIS. I’m sure perhaps they can. The big difference they’ve had is that we’ve been supporting Kurdish forces that have been very effective ——

TRUMP: I’m a fan of the Kurds, you understand.

SANGER: But Erdogan is not. Tell us how you would deal with that?

TRUMP: Well, it would be ideal if we could get them all together. And that would be a possibility. But I’m a big fan of the Kurdish forces. At the same time, I think we have a potentially — we could have a potentially very successful relationship with Turkey. And it would be really wonderful if we could put them somehow both together.

SANGER: And what’s your diplomatic plan for doing that?

TRUMP: Meetings. If I ever have the opportunity to do it, meaning if I win, we will have meetings, we will have meetings very early on.

can't wait for trump to use THE ART OF THE DEAL to broker peace between erdogan and the kurds

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

break-up breakdown posted:

can't wait for trump to use THE ART OF THE DEAL to broker peace between erdogan and the kurds

This actually isn't as unfeasible as you'd think. All it would take is aligning the government of Rojava under Barzani and the PDK. Good luck pulling that off by force though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
ISIS ATGM footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqKm5Xn8LJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4aU1GNEHko

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Everybody in those videos will be dead soon.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Volkerball posted:

This actually isn't as unfeasible as you'd think. All it would take is aligning the government of Rojava under Barzani and the PDK. Good luck pulling that off by force though.

And all my third date with Rhianna would take is drawing a few zeroes in my bank account, doing some squats and cutting an album or three before going to the right parties.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

And all my third date with Rhianna would take is drawing a few zeroes in my bank account, doing some squats and cutting an album or three before going to the right parties.

Rojava is even less defended than Rihanna.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Crossposting from the AIRPOWER thread:

Satellite photos of the Admiral Kuznetsov being such a piece of poo poo it's visible from space.

I wonder what the odds are on that thing actually making it to Syria and back under its own power.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Luckily Sevastapol is still under the rightful control of the Russian federation, Turkey has again become friendly, and it's a heavy helicopter tending missile cruiser and not an aircraft carrier.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Crossposting from the AIRPOWER thread:

Satellite photos of the Admiral Kuznetsov being such a piece of poo poo it's visible from space.

I wonder what the odds are on that thing actually making it to Syria and back under its own power.

Nonsense, the Kuznetsov will return to Russia under the power provided by it's crew.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Wikipedia says it paused off Crete November 3rd so if that picture was taken on the 8th it's been sitting there for awhile.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
are they burning coal in that thing?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

starkebn posted:

They are highly pressurized diesel boilers that are need of a total overhaul. The Kuznetsov has been delayed for a refit for a number of years at this point.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah if your boy Erdogan attacks us, we'll level Turkey and both parties will declare the retaking of the Hagia Sophia for Greece to be right and just.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 14, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ardennes posted:

They are highly pressurized diesel boilers that are need of a total overhaul. The Kuznetsov has been delayed for a refit for a number of years at this point.

The Captain of that ship must be a very grumpy person

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So I'm in Israel right now and I wanna know: any faux pas I should avoid? I'm scared of saying some crazy poo poo and getting looked at sideways, and I think this is a particularly sensitive country.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

orange sky posted:

So I'm in Israel right now and I wanna know: any faux pas I should avoid? I'm scared of saying some crazy poo poo and getting looked at sideways, and I think this is a particularly sensitive country.

It is often pretty easy to not talk politics in everyday situations, you will be fine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

double nine posted:

madagascar.

I bet they already closed their ports though.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Current location of the Kuznetsov's battle group, based on the location of their fleet tanker:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zudgemud posted:

It is often pretty easy to not talk politics in everyday situations, you will be fine.
Unless you're feeling quite self-conscious and stressed over political concerns which may cause you to blurt out politics talk thanks to such pressure. So I would also focus on recreation and cat videos.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

orange sky posted:

Just as you'd never mention Ukraine while talking to a russian you'll be just fine if you don't mention Palestine literally anything related to the arab nations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah if your boy Erdogan attacks us, we'll level Turkey and both parties will declare the retaking of the Hagia Sophia for Greece to be right and just.

You missed his point completely.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

starkebn posted:

This is a style among all Russian diesel things

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^

starkebn posted:

It's diesel, the term is rolling coal.

MiddleOne posted:

Just as you'd never mention Ukraine while talking to a russian you'll be just fine if you don't mention Palestine literally anything related to the arab nations.

Speaking of which, I spent about two weeks visiting relatives who either advocated for or at least were cool with the Crimea annexation. It took a lot of effort to avoid engaging in any discussions about this and ignoring the nonstop propaganda that was on TV constantly, but I managed somehow and we ended up getting along well. Real life isn't D&D so as long as you don't bring these topics up yourself, everything should be fine, Israelis aren't all hypernationalist assholes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I have told my dad that he's a moronic idiot who doesn't understand maths on Facebook yet we get on ok face to face

Truly the internet is bringing families together

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Some sort of MRAP (perhaps a Casspir?) with extra armour panelling and a BMP turret attached to the top.

That is not a CASSPIR nose. The nose looks like an Alvis Saracen.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have a coworker who is emigrating to Israel because of the Trump election and she told me I was racist when I said Netanyahu wasn't any better. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have a coworker who is emigrating to Israel because of the Trump election and she told me I was racist when I said Netanyahu wasn't any better. Amazing.

To be fair, she probably wasn't afraid of Trump, just looking forward to a new home or retail establishment in East Jerusalem.

• Locked thread