Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Puppy Time posted:

Yes, stating that someone used to work a job is exactly what doxxing is.

What was your last job, and where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

THREAD NO

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fair enough, I'll bow out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What was your last job, and where?

WHO IS YOUR DADDY AND WHAT DOES HE DO

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, but I don't recall them being accused of being responsible for distorting discussions of those topics. They were viewed as a broken tool for some purposes, not an organization failing to meet their moral duty.

I recall quite a bit of such accusation, both inside the IT industry and in the population at large.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Okay, yeah, but one of these is RUNNING THE drat COUNTRY!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Serperoth posted:

Blue is a friend, I don't know Brown.
Replies are me and Blue.

How do you gently caress up that bad?

I have a Facebook friend that was a stereotypical Bernie supporter and was always posting Snopes or parody articles (Onion, etc.) as if they were real leading up to the election.

I don't know how in 2016 you find an article on the Onion don't know it's fake.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

"Irrelevant" is the most misused word of 2016 imo

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

I saw on my feed last week a "friend commented on this post" type deal where my friend was explaining to the OP the history behind these amendments, the history of the GOP and DNC, and linking to multiple sources of information about it for OP to read and OP's responded with two things:

"That's just a bunch of liberal talking points! You are brainwashed like the rest!"

and I kid you not

"Liberals just hate freedom!"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I saw on my feed last week a "friend commented on this post" type deal where my friend was explaining to the OP the history behind these amendments, the history of the GOP and DNC, and linking to multiple sources of information about it for OP to read and OP's responded with two things:

"That's just a bunch of liberal talking points! You are brainwashed like the rest!"

and I kid you not

"Liberals just hate freedom!"

Thinking about things is hard, especially when they are uncomfortable. People just flat-out refuse to do it, knowing that they are right anyhow and need not consider 'evidence' which is likely a bunch of lies anyway because their side is right and the other is wrong.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Thinking about things is hard, especially when they are uncomfortable. People just flat-out refuse to do it, knowing that they are right anyhow and need not consider 'evidence' which is likely a bunch of lies anyway because their side is right and the other is wrong.

I've been seeing a video going around, you can find it if you like but I'm not linking it directly because this dude is a prick and I don't want to drive traffic to him, where this guy blames leftists and political correctness for Trump (and a dash of Hillary is the worst for flavor).

I hate this kind of thinking, that the calling out of bigotry or trying to correct bad information is somehow harming the world. What infuriates me more is they never propose a solution or their solution is to "listen to the other side". I've been posting my thoughts in the form of a terrible MS Paint flow chart:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
We've found the shittiest hot-take, we can all go home now.

It's like Cathy the fake goth saw Jonathan Pie's video and thought she wasn't going to let a man win that prize.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I'm always shocked when people are THIS faceblind. How can someone think the guy on the right is Bill Clinton???? Use your eyeballs!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

VoidBurger posted:

I'm always shocked when people are THIS faceblind. How can someone think the guy on the right is Bill Clinton???? Use your eyeballs!

I kinda see it but white people all look the same to me :shrug:

Religious Man
Nov 28, 2010

Perfect God and Perfect Man

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I've been seeing a video going around, you can find it if you like but I'm not linking it directly because this dude is a prick and I don't want to drive traffic to him, where this guy blames leftists and political correctness for Trump (and a dash of Hillary is the worst for flavor).

The obviously rehearsed "behind the scenes" format of this video annoyed me just as much as the content.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He either works for, or is at least endorsed by, Russia Today so I wouldn't pay him very much notice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I hate this kind of thinking, that the calling out of bigotry or trying to correct bad information is somehow harming the world.

It's not "harming the world" but maybe smugly telling folks grasping for whatever answers they can in post-industrial meth-haunted hellscapes they just aren't checking their privilege hard enough is demonstrably not a winning fight to pick?

Nah, there is no cause for uncomfortable introspection here on the left with a 16 point swing from 2012 on the under 30k/yr demo. It is not the bourgeois distraction of myopic focus on identity politics that failed the Democratic party. It is the poors who are wrong.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's not "harming the world" but maybe smugly telling folks grasping for whatever answers they can in post-industrial meth-haunted hellscapes they just aren't checking their privilege hard enough is demonstrably not a winning fight to pick?

Nah, there is no cause for uncomfortable introspection here on the left with a 16 point swing from 2012 on the under 30k/yr demo. It is not the bourgeois distraction of myopic focus on identity politics that failed the Democratic party. It is the poors who are wrong.

I think you should at least consider the possibility that it might be the iron clad echo chamber the 30k/yr demo has locked itself inside because they want someone to make their problems go away and will accept any quick fix comforting answers the Right will offer them. It's hard to empathize with someone that calls you a "n****r lover" when they find out you voted for Obama. There is a lot of historical precedent for this. You can see it in the posts on this thread.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I think you should at least consider the possibility that it might be the iron clad echo chamber the 30k/yr demo has locked itself inside because they want someone to make their problems go away and will accept any quick fix comforting answers the Right will offer them. It's hard to empathize with someone that calls you a "n****r lover" when they find out you voted for Obama. There is a lot of historical precedent for this. You can see it in the posts on this thread.

Social media makes us all idiots in echo chambers. The better to deliver us targeted advertising.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

they want someone to make their problems go away and will accept any quick fix comforting answers the Right will offer them.

This is made particularly easy when all the left has to offer is "WHITE PRIVILEGE!".

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
This thread is asking to be posted in this thread

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The fucktard who misspelled "cry" last night corrected himself with (((cry babies))) and I lost my poo poo at him. I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm not facing disciplanary action at work for asking how many 23rd chromosomes he has is because I explained to my boss that the parentheses thing is neo-nazi symbolism.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It's hard to empathize with someone that calls you a "n****r lover" when they find out you voted for Obama. There is a lot of historical precedent for this. You can see it in the posts on this thread.

Many of the people who voted for Trump also voted for Obama. Writing them off as a bunch of backward bigots instead of people is exactly how the Democrats lost this election.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Puppy Time posted:

Many of the people who voted for Trump also voted for Obama. Writing them off as a bunch of backward bigots instead of people is exactly how the Democrats lost this election.

No, getting less votes than the other side is how the Democrats lost thi... oh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Puppy Time posted:

This is the voting equivalent of "but I have a black friend :qq:" and it's exactly as weak and stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't agree

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

"They're not backwards bigoted subhuman garbage, they just voted for one to be the most powerful person on Earth!"

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Call people out when they're being bigots, of course, but don't assume they are bigots because they're disagreeing with you or assume they're racist because they're white etc? I've been leftist as heck my whole life but people are right that it's a huge reason people didn't vote Dem this election. I've been guilty of it and seen it a lot over the past several years.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

I don't agree

Sweet. You're wrong.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who What Now posted:

Sweet. You're wrong.

I don't agree but I respect your opinion

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

That video was textbook concern trolling. We need to stop calling out bigotry because people won't listen to us, now let me make this point using words like "lynch" and "mansplain" for an edginess effect.

Also, here's a stupid map:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

without looking up whether that map is true or not: hmm, I wonder why areas with large populations would have more crime than a state that has a total of 12 residents

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Unskew it to account for bear on bear crime. :colbert:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

asking how many 23rd chromosomes he has

I don't think neo-Nazi ideology is a common manifestation of Klinefelter syndrome but I could be wrong.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

timefly posted:

Call people out when they're being bigots, of course, but don't assume they are bigots because they're disagreeing with you or assume they're racist because they're white etc? I've been leftist as heck my whole life but people are right that it's a huge reason people didn't vote Dem this election. I've been guilty of it and seen it a lot over the past several years.

loving this.

People were voting for the bigot because they saw it as a choice between an uncaring establishment that has been writing them off for decades and someone who actually claimed to care and offered them what they needed.

If your condition for helping people in poverty is "You have to change your way of life entirely to what I want," then of course they aren't going to like you, and they're going to go to the rear end in a top hat who doesn't treat them like dirt, because they get that poo poo all the time in the first place.

Get people to a standard of living where they're not constantly stressed by wondering whether they can eat or afford heating, THEN you can work on getting them to learn about bigotry and why maybe these slurs you grew up hearing aren't a good thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
THREAD NO

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

All the D&D creeps are seeping into PYF! Bail ship!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Haha, fools, we were here the entire time!

*cackles madly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Puppy Time posted:

loving this.

People were voting for the bigot because they saw it as a choice between an uncaring establishment that has been writing them off for decades and someone who actually claimed to care and offered them what they needed.

If your condition for helping people in poverty is "You have to change your way of life entirely to what I want," then of course they aren't going to like you, and they're going to go to the rear end in a top hat who doesn't treat them like dirt, because they get that poo poo all the time in the first place.

Get people to a standard of living where they're not constantly stressed by wondering whether they can eat or afford heating, THEN you can work on getting them to learn about bigotry and why maybe these slurs you grew up hearing aren't a good thing.

So you cant call someone a racist if he does racist stuff because he is poor..?

I see what you are coming from: if you have to worry about feeding your child, and a facist comes along and offers you a 'solution', then you vote for him. That doesnt make them a racist or facist.

But if that same person does do something racist you should call him out. I mean, what the hell.