Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Well, I finished ZZ. It was inconsistent, but pretty interesting and entertaining. I felt like the ideas were better than the execution most of the time. In the end, the civil war accomplished everything that the Shangri-la kids could not. Though I think Haman's plan of exterminating humans from the Earth was probably more realistic than whatever AEUG were going for.

Glad that Judau hosed off to Jupiter with Roux. Bright deserved that punching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Re: dumb build fighters plot speculation, I remember when AGE started airing and there was a theory that the mysterious enemy mobile suits were time travellers from the future that had gone back to prepare humanity for a future alien invasion and imo that is more interesting than the plot AGE went with.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Red Bones posted:

Re: dumb build fighters plot speculation, I remember when AGE started airing and there was a theory that the mysterious enemy mobile suits were time travellers from the future that had gone back to prepare humanity for a future alien invasion and imo that is more interesting than the plot AGE went with.

It's not difficult to be more interesting than "they're just people".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Droyer posted:

It's not difficult to be more interesting than "they're just people".

People dying from space cancer that could be entirely prevented by moving their movable home base.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I liked the mystery the show started with where the vegans were a total mystery and it wasn't even clear if the suits had pilots or anything. And then they blew that mystery like three or four episodes in :shrug:

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I watched S1 (currently watching S2) of IBO and decided to start UC stuff, so I ended up watching the 0079 movies. I must say: it started fairly mediocre but by the end of movie 3, I was really enjoying it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

I watched S1 (currently watching S2) of IBO and decided to start UC stuff, so I ended up watching the 0079 movies. I must say: it started fairly mediocre but by the end of movie 3, I was really enjoying it.

If you intend to continue with UC, don't watch the Zeta movies. They are not a replacement for the TV series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Red Bones posted:

In a vacuum any idea can be interesting, it's the execution that matters

Heck, for a similar twist in the same vein as what we got Nadesico is an easy example

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I kind of want to get into Gundam but I prefer manga over anime, is there a good place to start there?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TWIST FIST posted:

I kind of want to get into Gundam but I prefer manga over anime, is there a good place to start there?

The Origin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TWIST FIST posted:

The Origin for sure. Complete English translation, great on its own merits.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

Gundam: the origin is the obvious answer.

Apart from that though, gundam has always been an anime first property. most manga are sidestories to one of the animated works, so if you really want to get into it you kinda have to go anime at some point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gonna third The Origin.

Edit: Fourth, I mean.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
heres the first 30 something chapters for free

http://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_CW01000002020000_68/

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first volume of Gundam Thunderbolt comes out in English next week too.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Thanks all

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Hey all,

I've been working on some Gundam translations over the past year I thought might be of some interest here:
Char & Amuro Official Translations (a collection of official quotes, including a choice few from Tomino himself, on Char and Amuro's relationship... some are rather, err, suggestive!)
Yoshikazu Yasuhiko Interview from the Girl's Gundam Book (discusses early female Gundam fandom and has some interesting design tidbits, like Zeon being Space Prussians)
Turn A Gundam: Cocoon on the Moon, Fruit on the Earth Translation (translation of the infamous Fukui novel adaption; in progress)
Turn A Gundam: Wind of the Moon Manga Translation (scanlation of a Turn A prequel manga drawn by character designer Akiman; complete)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rewatching 0080 again. I'd forgotten how rough even the credits roll can be on this show, with the wartime photo montages.

On a completely opposite note, Richie Kotzen's Gundam covers are loving incredible and better than Andrew W.K on a pure rock level. W.K still gets points for going whole hog into his album no matter how silly it sounds, and I can respect that.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 10, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

dazat posted:

Hey all,

I've been working on some Gundam translations over the past year I thought might be of some interest here:
Char & Amuro Official Translations (a collection of official quotes, including a choice few from Tomino himself, on Char and Amuro's relationship... some are rather, err, suggestive!)
Yoshikazu Yasuhiko Interview from the Girl's Gundam Book (discusses early female Gundam fandom and has some interesting design tidbits, like Zeon being Space Prussians)
Turn A Gundam: Cocoon on the Moon, Fruit on the Earth Translation (translation of the infamous Fukui novel adaption; in progress)
Turn A Gundam: Wind of the Moon Manga Translation (scanlation of a Turn A prequel manga drawn by character designer Akiman; complete)
I'll have to dig into some of this later. I had no idea that Turn-A prequel even existed!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

dazat posted:

Hey all,

I read this one earlier from a link on Twitter. It's really interesting! I liked the background on the character designs, and how excited he was to see cosplayers. Thanks for translating these.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i hadn't ever particularly considered that amuro and char are gay for each other, but hoo boy is that quite of a bit of tomino saying "man amuro and char are maybe probably gay for each other"

i find this very amusing, thanks for sharing

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Thanks for those translations, they are super interesting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dazat posted:

Hey all,

This is good. You are good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

i hadn't ever particularly considered that amuro and char are gay for each other, but hoo boy is that quite of a bit of tomino saying "man amuro and char are maybe probably gay for each other"

i find this very amusing, thanks for sharing
I found those comments interesting because I've never really seen any kind of sexual tension in their relationship either.

Maybe I'm just bad at picking it up, because I completely missed Guin being gay until it was directly revealed in the last the last episode of that show.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I found those comments interesting because I've never really seen any kind of sexual tension in their relationship either.

Maybe I'm just bad at picking it up, because I completely missed Guin being gay until it was directly revealed in the last the last episode of that show.

Ever seen Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence? I think it might be more of that perhaps?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ever seen Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence? I think it might be more of that perhaps?
I have not, though I've heard very good things about Nagisa Oshima as a director. It's on my list of stuff to get to eventually.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I have not, though I've heard very good things about Nagisa Oshima as a director. It's on my list of stuff to get to eventually.

Worth it, the soundtrack is fantastic too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just found about the Zogojuash.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Zogojuash

That's totally a vagina, isn't it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azran posted:

You, uh, have some unusual ideals about lady biology.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Azran posted:

:wtc: is this? :stonk:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azran posted:

Yes. That's what a vagina is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I mean, the legs are what makes it go from weird looking cephalopod thing to, uh, that.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Watched CCA. Not sure how I feel about it. It's basically a Gundam series condensed into a film, I guess? It often felt like the characters were just going through the standard motions after Zeta and ZZ. They don't really get enough time to develop everyone. It is difficult to feel the emotional impact of characters' deaths when you barely know them. While I understand that Char's manipulation of Quess was tragic, I didn't feel it nearly as deeply as Reccoa and Scirocco.

The ending felt rushed and kind of dumb. That said, I was really enjoying CCA until the last quarter or so. They did a good job of contrasting the Earth bigwigs to normal citizens by tying that into Bright's family. The battles were well animated and interesting. The character relationships made sense and drove the plot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Few Gundam series or films manage to stick the landing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Which ones do

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ninjewtsu posted:

Which ones do

War in the Pocket, G Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

War in the Pocket, G Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam
I'd add the Thunderbolt movie to this.

That's probably it for me.

EDIT: Maybe 00 Season 1 too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Basically what they said. I'd have added 08th MS Team if they hadn't added that pointless twelfth episode.

Zeta ending on a cliffhanger weeks before ZZ started strips its ending down, and I haven't finished ZZ yet, so I can't comment on that.

0083 ends in a total clusterfuck

Unicorn ends on another cliffhanger and a message that gets undercut by the existence of everything in the late UC. It might be the end of the Zeon/Federation conflicts (except for the Oldsmobile Army and other NZ uprisings), but the Earth Sphere is still hosed, robbing the Unicorn ending of its value.

I'm of the opposite mind for the Thunderbolt film ending. I think that I like the series ending better, just heading ominously towards A Baoa Qu. December Sky's rendition of A Baoa Qu doesn't really do it for me as an ending, since it plays more like a trailer for when they inevitably adapt the next part of Thunderbolt, and it doesn't work with the self contained atmosphere of the series plot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Build Fighters season 1.

edit: Gundam Wing, both the TV series and the movie. As much as SEED was mediocre, it wrapped up strongly if you ignore Destiny.

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 13, 2016