Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Back day was this morning and then I played a full round of golf. Feeling nice and sore. Pluggin holes all day long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I dated this chick a bit over a year ago who was an ex body builder and now just curvy with big boobs. But she was an alky and got a dui shortly into the relationship so I broke it off. Well I guess maybe that kicked her into a fitness frenzy because she got super fit in the last year and just placed 3rd in some competition.

The transformation is pretty incredible but then again it's easier for a prior fitness competitor to get it back than some random who hasn't worked out before. I'd post a picture from her Instagram but some goon would likely find her and harass her.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

jonathan posted:

I'd post a picture from her Instagram but some goon would likely find her and harass her.

A wise choice

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
drat, I only got 155 for 3x5 on Bench Press tonight. The 5th rep on the 3rd set barely went up so I just left it at that, plus a backoff set of 5 at 135 like a minute after. I have been drinking a little more than usual the past few days, need to get that back under control so I'll blame it on that and try it again next week. Also tried Romanian Deadlifts, they felt weird I'm not sure if I did them right. I took a video and my back seemed to stay straight but I may have bent at the knees too much.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

drat, I only got 155 for 3x5 on Bench Press tonight. The 5th rep on the 3rd set barely went up so I just left it at that, plus a backoff set of 5 at 135 like a minute after. I have been drinking a little more than usual the past few days, need to get that back under control so I'll blame it on that and try it again next week. Also tried Romanian Deadlifts, they felt weird I'm not sure if I did them right. I took a video and my back seemed to stay straight but I may have bent at the knees too much.
I have to bend at the knees to keep balance but as long as your hamstrings reach the point of saying "hey bud, we're at full extension" you probably did it right.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I watched the Alan Thrall video on it. Basically I hinged my hips back and go down until I feel a stretch, but without going down far enough to pull my hips into a posterior tilt. I'll upload the video later for form check when I feel like it. It did feel like it'll be really helpful for teaching me to be able to put deadlifts down more controlled. What weight do you guys usually use compared to your regular deadlift? Right now my regular deadlift 5 rep max is probably around 225. I started at 95 and worked up to 145 doing 6 or 7 reps per set. It felt pretty easy but I didn't want to go real hard until I feel confident on form. I think I managed to go a couple inches below the knees at the bottom.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
did you yell "ARNOLD!" a bunch when you started failing? ARNOLD! is the most powerful one but there are other spells you can use to complete your sets for example take a look at Swiss Olympic shotput/discuss guy and all-around muscle blob Richy Bruch putting one of his favorites into action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpqksKiImCk&t=179s

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
no, but I almost couldn't get the last bench rep up until I yelled TINY LOWTAX. if i had to pick a lifting nemesis i guess it would be him. i think one time he said something sarcastic to me but i don't remember what it was

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

proof of concept posted:

did you yell "ARNOLD!" a bunch when you started failing? ARNOLD! is the most powerful one but there are other spells you can use to complete your sets for example take a look at Swiss Olympic shotput/discuss guy and all-around muscle blob Richy Bruch putting one of his favorites into action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpqksKiImCk&t=179s

This is me

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zzulu posted:

This is me
I unhooked the full sized punching bag by accident and ran with it like I was running through a tire obstacle course and then kinda set it down in some corner. No one else was there so getting it hooked back up would have been difficult due to the height it's hung at and the chain thing.

I threw a foam roller like a javelin and accidentally got it stuck on a light fixture 14+ feet up on the ceiling.

I think that's all I've really done for accidentally malicious things at the gym. Pretty much sounds like I'm a middle schooler I guess.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

I unhooked the full sized punching bag by accident

How'd you manage that? You were swinging around in circles while clinging to it with an arms-and-legs spider hug weren't you?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

proof of concept posted:

How'd you manage that? You were swinging around in circles while clinging to it with an arms-and-legs spider hug weren't you?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
this is apparently a thing some people do

Khorne
May 1, 2002

proof of concept posted:

I gave it a bear hug and stood up all the way except I lifted it too much. So pretty close. I definitely wasn't punching it.

I stopped doing this after that time. Also, there are usually people at the gym so I don't do dumb poo poo when they're around. Oh yeah, they put duct tape around the hook after when they put it back up.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 12, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Doesn't everybody finish their bag work this way? How else would the gym know you're done?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

wanna buy a make america swole again hat but dont want to deal with people thinking its a trump hat, dilemmas

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Tolkien minority posted:

wanna buy a make america swole again hat but dont want to deal with people thinking its a trump hat, dilemmas

Maybe just don't care about what idiot baby liberals have to say?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Tolkien minority posted:

It could be both, win-win.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

no, but I almost couldn't get the last bench rep up until I yelled TINY LOWTAX. if i had to pick a lifting nemesis i guess it would be him. i think one time he said something sarcastic to me but i don't remember what it was

I don't do things like that

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
went to costco and bought a buncha salami and rotisserie chicken

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Please don't support Costco's rotisserie chicken practices

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
They are delicious and I will continue to support them as possible.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
No gym today, went hiking instead. The deadlift soreness kicked in halfway through, and I started feeling the hills in my rear end. Good times were had, as was fried chicken.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Please don't support Costco's rotisserie chicken practices

vegan gains poster spotted

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I don't do things like that

im glad we can be friends but i'm going to need a new lifting nemesis. maybe sassassin? im pretty sure he started lifting the same time i did and he tried bossing me around about doing ohp and benching in the same week

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

im glad we can be friends but i'm going to need a new lifting nemesis. maybe sassassin? im pretty sure he started lifting the same time i did and he tried bossing me around about doing ohp and benching in the same week

Find a different nemesis :colbert:

It's okay, we can share.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

vegan gains poster spotted

"vegan gains" is an oxymoron though :confused:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
if you're not aware Vegain Gains is the name of a youtube channel. go watch it if you ever feel like you need to be mad

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ew, no thank you

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

if you're not aware Vegain Gains is the name of a youtube channel. go watch it if you ever feel like you need to be mad

jfc you weren't kidding

Do it, DO IT

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't know "neck length" was a category of gainz but now I'm excited to train for them so I too can one day eat fresh green leaves right off the branch

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YndbEwkD9d4 these sure do look like a couple of really cool, likable people

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Wait what's this stuff about bench press being unnecessary? :stare:

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Decline and incline cover your pecs entirely and are much more natural motions. Some bodybuilders only bench when they're making a video because the motion can be stressful on the elbows/shoulders. Keep in mind this is from lifting 4 plates or more repeatedly not from putting up 185lbs. I still do it though because it's a nice bragging lift, throwing up 365lbs for a few reps makes me feel like an adult.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My friend does 525lbs incline press and he's natty. Makes me wonder why I even bother living.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do bench press

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Wait what's this stuff about bench press being unnecessary? :stare:

if you're talking about what i was referring to a guy said some stuff about doing bench and ohp on different days in the same week is bad or something? I was just joking around, i'm not sure what he actually meant. i'm pretty sure there is definitely room for both bench and overhead press to get along

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

if you're talking about what i was referring to a guy said some stuff about doing bench and ohp on different days in the same week is bad or something? I was just joking around, i'm not sure what he actually meant. i'm pretty sure there is definitely room for both bench and overhead press to get along
I bench 4x per week which is everyday I go to the gym so it's impossible for me to do it on different days. Problem solved.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

E_P posted:

Decline and incline cover your pecs entirely and are much more natural motions. Some bodybuilders only bench when they're making a video because the motion can be stressful on the elbows/shoulders. Keep in mind this is from lifting 4 plates or more repeatedly not from putting up 185lbs. I still do it though because it's a nice bragging lift, throwing up 365lbs for a few reps makes me feel like an adult.

Ah gotcha, thanks, I thought they were referring to all the chest-focused presses, not just flat bench.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It was more the first point. But I tend to alternate, if I'm going heavy on the bench one day, I'll do lower weight less reps and do lateral raises, and then the other upper body day, I'll go heavy for the overhead press, and the lower weight higher reps on dumbbell incline. I found trying to go heavy on both chest and shoulders was hugely counterproductive.

In other bench news, I got 3 sets of 3 reps at 90kg on the bench this morning :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately
i really miss the photos thread