Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

YES it must have more texture like the New 52 Superman suit with lines and poo poo everywhere for no reason.

Or be more like the comic and just be titties. Just titties.

Well, what would you prefer, yellow eggshell spandex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean, the most faithful interpretation would probably have been straight-up paint on latex

ScarJo probably wouldn't have given a gently caress about it, either

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Rough Lobster posted:

Or be more like the comic and just be titties. Just titties.
This would have been the correct approach

Since it is anime the nudity is probably because of perverts, but I liked that the Major would get nude every now and then because she just gave absolutely no fucks because why the hell would she, she was just a brain in a robot

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nudity would have been the best choice, but I expect this movie to end up being PG-13. Has there been any talk of what rating they're shooting for?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I think in one of the interviews they mentioned that they couldn't do the nude suit because they're shooting for PG-13, but would have something that kept the "spirit" or it or something ridiculous like that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Form-smothering patchwork spandex was certainly the way to go there. It looks like a homemade Running Man suit.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 10, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Making of featurette released...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmOlBqlpUP0

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yeah, seems like they're simply borrowing...*cough*...elements from Innocence (the geisha doll alleyway pleading) and the original movie (ghost-camo in the water fight). I do like some of those shots where the camera isn't slowly zooming in/out though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rampant criticisms aside, I am rooting for this film and hope it does well so we get more big-budget anime adaptations that aren't Dragonball or Airbender or whatever else. Really hope Battle Angel turns out to be good too, even though everything surrounding it has my expectations super low.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don’t honestly know what or which beliefs about anime a success or failure would enable, though.

I mean, this does share traits with Dragonball and Airbender ... :/

I personally hope the Akira movie is never made.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

So I guess they're doing the making of a cyborg scene, but it will be nipple-less to keep a PG-13 rating?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Darth Nat posted:

So I guess they're doing the making of a cyborg scene, but it will be nipple-less to keep a PG-13 rating?

That's probably going to be the coolest part.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Full trailer has dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPvnQ2wDlI

It does seem like they're borrowing elements from everything, but this trailer makes it look a bit more like a standard action film than the short teasers did. I'd like to see someone recut that trailer with some of Kenji Kawai's score and see how much it changes the mood.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I've come around on the skinsuit. It doesn't look that bad in motion when you don't see the neck seam.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

drat poo poo is pretty

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I love the giant hologram thingies

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, I'm digging it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IGN has the opening to the film posted on their Facebook, but it looks bootleg AF. Also, nippleless nudity. Anyway, Kenji Kawai is at least here doing a redo of the anime's opening credits.

https://www.facebook.com/ign/videos/10154232485796633/

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tomtrek posted:

Full trailer has dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPvnQ2wDlI

It does seem like they're borrowing elements from everything, but this trailer makes it look a bit more like a standard action film than the short teasers did. I'd like to see someone recut that trailer with some of Kenji Kawai's score and see how much it changes the mood.

yeah they could have just called it Ultraviolet 2: Asian Edition with how many stock action things we're seeing here. Can't see this being a big hit really anywhere.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
well, at least batou appears to have his trademark eyes

not the greatest trailer i've seen, also not the worst.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Really tacky slow motion wirework is probably one of the most inappropriate things to put in a GiTS movie. It looks pretty though. Wish they'd had more of Mong Kok. That looks like a really very clean Hong Kong.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What a trainwreck of a trailer. The actual movie is going to be so sad because of all of the wasted potential.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

well, at least batou appears to have his trademark eyes
I mean, only kinda?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Was worried about it, but looks great. A lot of direct homages to the original movie. Also I realize this is an adaptation and not a 1-1 of anything so I am fine if they mess around with her background a bit.

The characters look fine. I have no idea what the hell everyone is complaining about.

strategery fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 13, 2016

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Since this thread was talking about Oshii can we talk about Avalon and how underrated that movie is?

Crash74
May 11, 2009
getting bladerunner vibes from dark hellscape city

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pretty good trailer.

For me to poop on.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

strategery posted:

Was worried about it, but looks great. A lot of direct homages to the original movie. Also I realize this is an adaptation and not a 1-1 of anything so I am fine if they mess around with her background a bit.

The characters look fine. I have no idea what the hell everyone is complaining about.

It seems like there's a weird amnesia aspect to the story now? That's a little bit more than just messing around with her background a bit, and it makes me think they didn't think what was there already would be enough for audiences, and that makes me think it's going to not be well received because it'll be a bunch of the audience going "what's all this weird poo poo, why isn't she shooting anyone" and a small corner of them going "what the gently caress did they do to the story?"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It seems like there's a weird amnesia aspect to the story now? That's a little bit more than just messing around with her background a bit, and it makes me think they didn't think what was there already would be enough for audiences, and that makes me think it's going to not be well received because it'll be a bunch of the audience going "what's all this weird poo poo, why isn't she shooting anyone" and a small corner of them going "what the gently caress did they do to the story?"

Comparisons to the live-action Battle Angel inbound with new memory loss narrative. Unless they hosed with the story there too, heh. That said, the shots taken from the anime and translated into live action look really great. Hope Rodriguez wlll do the same with Alita as what he did with the visuals in the first Sin City movie.

Young Freud posted:

IGN has the opening to the film posted on their Facebook, but it looks bootleg AF. Also, nippleless nudity. Anyway, Kenji Kawai is at least here doing a redo of the anime's opening credits.

So wait, is this going to be in the film with the Kenji track? Or was this just a one-off thing for the event in Tokyo? If the latter, they should cut the trailer to that track with the epic-as-gently caress drums.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 13, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well at least they are going to have the Batou eyes. Although they seem to be using them as some kind of glasses instead of implants.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like the Enjoy the Silence cover, it feels like it could of been in any of the other movies and shows. The Bato line sounded like something he would say too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think there is some flashback aspect or Batou loses his bio eyes in the movie.

I do actually like how Batou looks in the trailer, but man does everything else look terrible.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, I'm not really a sucker for these dark covers of classic pop songs in trailers, but that was some really nice use of not-Depeche Mode.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Phone posted:

I think there is some flashback aspect or Batou loses his bio eyes in the movie.

I do actually like how Batou looks in the trailer, but man does everything else look terrible.

I thought his eyes were just something the US did to the Rangers during the War. In GITS, he gets a whole squad to talk to him because he was a ranger. So like a future operation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wasezWVgV4k&t=13m31s

If you don't know who Batou is, here's the scene everyone talks about him keeping a small arsenal in the trunk of his car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNuL8cVxXMA I'm sure it was posted here before.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 13, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 2017 movie is just cribbing stuff from whatever looks cool, so trying to ascribe Batou's history from the movie trailer is an impossible task.

A part of the gimmick with Arise was how it subverted the original GITS movie and the SAC/2nd Gig TV shows for the origin stories. The one that comes to mind is Saito; in 2nd Gig the tachikomas speculate about his origin story while playing poker, the Arise show had him a part of Batou's renegade crew (iirc, I can't remember). I haven't read the manga, but I'm fairly certain that Aramaki hasn't dropped dudes in previous media, but the movie trailer has Beat Takeshi doing the low angle execution shot.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I am not convinced it is amnesia. Part of the series, specifically with the laughing man storyline which this is apparently partially based on, is people can be hacked into. So there could be something else going on here that isnt apparent. I dont want to rush to judge a plotline before I know it is actually correct or not. I think the movie looks as good as I could have hoped for. Crossing fingers.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I have the feeling that there are a lot of unfinished special effects in the trailer.

I mean this is the suit she is wearing in multiple scenes, and it looks like a white leotard in some and cool and fleshy in others.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hamelekim posted:

I have the feeling that there are a lot of unfinished special effects in the trailer.

I mean this is the suit she is wearing in multiple scenes, and it looks like a white leotard in some and cool and fleshy in others.

That's most definitely case. That particular shot you posted is more representative of the final look for sure, and looks even better in motion. The scenes where she's running on walls and shooting, and power walking through the water don't look as touched up yet.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Young Freud posted:

Of all the scenes shown so far, I think this one best sums up how unnecessary this entire adaptation is.

The original body construction scene is a masterpiece of animation. It's iconic not just for its direction and music, but the amount of technical detail that was put into every part of making it appear real. The movie is full of that kind of craftsmanship all over the place, it was a labor of love and absurd production values.
Even if this new film got every part right, including the casting and screenplay, it was never going to outdo the original, purely by nature of the medium shift. Live action is just inherently not as visually impressive as sufficiently well-done animation.

It's the same issue with the notion of making a live-action AKIRA movie. The best possible AKIRA movie you're going to get already exists, and you're almost assuredly not going to top it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The cool thing is the anime film still exists alongside the live-action adaptation.

• Locked thread