Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

trailery a baoa qu is pretty weak, though the short bit where darryl's prosthetic arm fails him while he's fighting is a pretty good wrap up to where his story arc ends up taking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

the short bit where darryl's prosthetic arm fails him while he's fighting is a pretty good wrap up to where his story arc ends up taking him.
That's my favorite part of the film in all honesty. Might be my favorite moment in a 21st century Gundam production.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's fairly good, though for me thunderbolt's best moment is the short scene transition between darryl's hand holding his father's hand, immediate cut to darryl's ruined arm in the exact same position

it's just such a brutal sledgehammer of emotion that immediately conveys to the viewer that darryl losing his limbs is more than just a physical impediment, i love it so much

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

So have we finally found Mara's sister?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unicorn ends on another cliffhanger and a message that gets undercut by the existence of everything in the late UC. It might be the end of the Zeon/Federation conflicts (except for the Oldsmobile Army and other NZ uprisings), but the Earth Sphere is still hosed, robbing the Unicorn ending of its value.

I kept hoping that Unicorn would acknowledge the late UC, and play it's ending in a more ironic "And nothing bad ever happened again...until F91 :v:" manner. Like a quick cameo from someone in the Ronah family to remind everyone that they're gonna start poo poo in a little over 20 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is no point in Unicorn where anyone says or even implies that everything is solved forever. In fact it literally does the opposite and is all about generic belief that someday things will change.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

There is no point in Unicorn where anyone says or even implies that everything is solved forever. In fact it literally does the opposite and is all about generic belief that someday things will change.

You know, you bring this up every time one of us discusses Unicorn's ending. Can I ask how you personally felt about its conclusion?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I think Zeta has a pretty good ending if you ignore the fact that ZZ aired immediately afterwards. It's just massively depressing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know, you bring this up every time one of us discusses Unicorn's ending. Can I ask how you personally felt about its conclusion?

I thought it was honestly pretty generic and average.I think it had some strong visual work which helped sell scenes which otherwise amounted to the traditional cynicism vs optimism fight. It isn't my favorite Gundam ending but I also don't think it's a particularly bad one, just a generic and unambitious one.

The "Good" Gundam endings to me would be 0080, G, Original and maybe Zeta. Every other one I feel kind of fumbles a bit much and I'd probably go back and forth on Zeta.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hathaway's Flash has a good ending.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

I thought it was honestly pretty generic and average.I think it had some strong visual work which helped sell scenes which otherwise amounted to the traditional cynicism vs optimism fight. It isn't my favorite Gundam ending but I also don't think it's a particularly bad one, just a generic and unambitious one.

While it certainly isn't the worst ending I've seen (loving Flanigan Institute orphans...), Unicorn's ending being such a non-ending still bugs the hell out of me. Did they ever do a follow-up manga or side story to explain what the hell happened after Londo Bell hightailed it out of there with the Federation/Anaheim forces on their tail to try and stop the broadcast?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a purchasable reader version of Origin online? I've moved countries recently and can't really store all the physical books, but I don't see anything on comixology.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The "Good" Gundam endings to me would be 0080, G, Original and maybe Zeta. Every other one I feel kind of fumbles a bit much and I'd probably go back and forth on Zeta.

Man I really like Zeta's ending. It just ends on this completely somber note that you don't see much on anime nowadays. Kamille goes all out an his mind is destroyed as a result. I'm sorta curious as to what your problem with it is.

Edit- maybe I'm biased because I love the soundtrack they use on the last episode and it screws my perception.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNYPryOqyGo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly despite the endings of some of the series, I am surprised at the level of quality most Gundam shows hold to. Even weaker shows like 0083 still have merit to them in spite of their shortcomings.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
ZZ has the best ending due to most of the cast being smarter than the rest of the franchise and just sayin "gently caress off laterz"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Turn A's ending is incredible and made me experience multiple emotions. There isn't a character i wasn't happy to see there at the end just living life.

Zeta ends good too, but gave me one emotion, a hollow despair.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The original Gundam had a pretty solid, iconic ending, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Turn A's ending is incredible and made me experience multiple emotions. There isn't a character i wasn't happy to see there at the end just living life.

Zeta ends good too, but gave me one emotion, a hollow despair.

Honestly, I'm surprised Turn A took this long to come up. It had a great final scrap paying off a lot of narrative beats set up earlier, and then it took the time to give the cast a solid denouement rather than just cutting to black.

It's also a good franchise ender, much better in that position than G-Reco. All that bloodshed and horror and pain, culminating in a man and a woman in a cabin in the woods. Swords to plowshares over a peaceful, beautiful Earth, whose long lost children have finally returned home.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Turn-A is the best Gundam show longer than two cours.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zeta's actual last scene with Kamille comes off as a bit bathetic to me, though I like the idea of what happens there.

I think Turn-A is a kind of an average show all around that's really only saved by having a very unique setting for a Gundam series. I do like it though.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 13, 2016

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That Turn A ending gets me choked up every time. If ever a Gundam show stuck the landing it's that one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_xpEkg0uA

Now, if you'll excuse me :cry:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The movie also has a really great ending theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkhF-JIOpUY

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I'm not clicking that because I don't want to be sad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Man I really like Zeta's ending. It just ends on this completely somber note that you don't see much on anime nowadays. Kamille goes all out an his mind is destroyed as a result. I'm sorta curious as to what your problem with it is.

Edit- maybe I'm biased because I love the soundtrack they use on the last episode and it screws my perception.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNYPryOqyGo

To be honest, the Emma thing just didn't work for me in a way I really felt soured a lot of the episode. Otherwise I like the episode but I do not think Emma was handled well at all. That's why I go back and forth on it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Emma died to a random rock after beating reccoa

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Turn-A has one of the best loving soundtracks of the franchise.

Now if we can only convince other media outlets (like G Gen and SRW) to remember that Century Color exists.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I love the first opening to Turn A too much to have ever given Century Color a real chance. They never should have switched to a second opening.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TTBF posted:

I love the first opening to Turn A too much to have ever given Century Color a real chance. They never should have switched to a second opening.

Agreed. It's a weird one, but between the sound and visuals, that first OP just can't be matched.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've never liked either opening to Turn-A myself. The OST in general never left a strong impression on me...except for "Moon", which is a fantastic piece and is something I regularly listen to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, what's that really Spielberg track for Dianna's arrival on Earth?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Turn A's soundtrack cribs a lot from the film Patton. This is not a bad thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's Memoery of Military Boots, it borrows the tune from the main theme of Patton.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pArJOr9Ddxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu11QRO9BrQ

dadaa

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I think Turn-A is a kind of an average show all around that's really only saved by having a very unique setting for a Gundam series. I do like it though.

I'm curious why you think that. I figure Turn A does a lot of stuff better than the average. Putting aside the designs (not everyone likes the Syd Mead style... and I just realized that the guy who digs up mobile suits is named Sid Munzer, which doesn't quite feel like a coincidence.) the music and animation style tend towards the gorgeous. The cast is large and dynamic, with everyone developing across the series, even more minor comedy characters like Bruno and Jakop, and the plot goes in directions Gundam almost never does.

Something that stood out as a highlight to me, though, was how everything happened because of the characters. Everyone had their own, distinct motives, from Loran's attempts to make everyone shut up, sit down, and get along to Guin's more cynical power plays to Michael Gern's basic "drat MOONIES GET OFF MY LAWN!". Whenever things fell apart, it was because someone, acting in accordance with their existing characterization, made a move that (apparently) advanced their immediate motive at the expense of someone else's long term goals. You could map out everyone's thought processes in scenes, and tell where they were going from that, not standard plot beats.

I mean, there was a whole subplot about the struggles of a guy trying to run a bakery in a warzone. You don't get that often. Civilians are supposed to only briefly show up to highlight the tragedy of war or the justice of the heroes's cause. They don't have to worry about bills. Only, well, Keith did. Because Turn A is more interested in showing people than going for the obvious plots.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 14, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm curious why you think that. I figure Turn A does a lot of stuff better than the average. Putting aside the designs (not everyone likes the Sid Mead style... and I just realized that the guy who digs up mobile suits is named Sid Munzer, which doesn't quite feel like a coincidence.) the music and animation style tend towards the gorgeous. The cast is large and dynamic, with everyone developing across the series, even more minor comedy characters like Bruno and Jakop, and the plot goes in directions Gundam almost never does.

Something that stood out as a highlight to me, though, was how everything happened because of the characters. Everyone had their own, distinct motives, from Loran's attempts to make everyone shut up, sit down, and get along to Guin's more cynical power plays to Michael Gern's basic "drat MOONIES GET OFF MY LAWN!". Whenever things fell apart, it was because someone, acting in accordance with their existing characterization, made a move that (apparently) advanced their immediate motive at the expense of someone else's long term goals. You could map out everyone's thought processes in scenes, and tell where they were going from that, not standard plot beats.

I mean, there was a whole subplot about the struggles of a guy trying to run a bakery in a warzone. You don't get that often. Civilians are supposed to only briefly show up to highlight the tragedy of war or the justice of the heroes's cause. They don't have to worry about bills. Only, well, Keith did. Because Turn A is more interested in showing people than going for the obvious plots.
FWIW when I say I think Turn A is an average show, I would also consider a large chunk of the other Gundam series to be below average works. Most of what you're describing in your post is stuff I would simply expect a long form narrative to do, in all honesty. To some extent I would expect recurring characters to develop and/or complexities to be revealed about them, I would expect characters to act consistently, I would expect the characters' actions and the impact they have on others (Or lack thereof) to be relevant to the story being told etc. I'd say finding Turn A being notable for doing this is more of a condemnation of other Gundam series for struggling with this (Such as 0083 just to throw out an example) more than anything.

Keith's bakery is another thing I'd only call uncommon for Gundam, but outside of it not so much. That same type of character (People trying to etch out a living doing a job in violent times) is practically a stock archetype in westerns for example- it's just done with bartenders and brothel workers instead of bakers. Even Westworld on HBO pokes fun at this sort of archetype.

As far as the music goes, most of it just didn't leave much of an impact on me, outside of "Moon" which I mentioned earlier. The Syd Mead designs I actually really like. The show is well animated, but I would ask how much of that is just praise for the budget being put into it. I won't repeat myself too much from a few weeks ago but I've just never found Tomino's work as a director to be especially strong, though I think he's a bit better here with how he uses moon imagery as effective symbolism...then again, the way he uses it is done in exactly the same way it was used in Gundam X, so perhaps he doesn't deserve special praise for that. I doubt my own doubt though, since Turn A is specifically about past conflicts repeating themselves again so I guess it at least fits thematically.

This is all a long winded way of saying that while I don't think Turn A has the critical flaws of other Gundam shows necessarily, I don't find most of the highs it gets praised for by fans to be especially high or notable either.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 14, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

That's Memoery of Military Boots, it borrows the tune from the main theme of Patton.

Nah, there's a different one I'm thinking of. We're talking otherworldly grandeur here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

FWIW when I say I think Turn A is an average show, I would also consider a large chunk of the other Gundam series to be below average works. Most of what you're describing in your post is stuff I would simply expect a long form narrative to do, in all honesty. To some extent I would expect recurring characters to develop and/or complexities to be revealed about them, I would expect characters to act consistently, I would expect the characters' actions and the impact they have on others (Or lack thereof) to be relevant to the story being told etc. I'd say finding Turn A being notable for doing this is more of a condemnation of other Gundam series for struggling with this (Such as 0083 just to throw out an example) more than anything.

Keith's bakery is another thing I'd only call uncommon for Gundam, but outside of it not so much. That same type of character (People trying to etch out a living doing a job in violent times) is practically a stock archetype in westerns for example- it's just done with bartenders and brothel workers instead of bakers. Even Westworld on HBO pokes fun at this sort of archetype.

As far as the music goes, most of it just didn't leave much of an impact on me, outside of "Moon" which I mentioned earlier. The Syd Mead designs I actually really like. The show is well animated, but I would ask how much of that is just praise for the budget being put into it. I won't repeat myself too much but I've just never found Tomino's work as a director to be especially strong, though I think he's a bit better here with how he uses moon imagery...then again, the way he uses it is done in exactly the same way it was used in Gundam X, so perhaps he doesn't deserve special praise for that. I doubt my own doubt though, since Turn A is specifically about past conflicts repeating themselves again so I guess it at least fits thematically.

This is all a long winded way of saying that while I don't think Turn A has the critical flaws of other Gundam shows necessarily, I don't find most of the highs it gets praised for by fans to be especially high or notable either.

See, I don't get this bit. "Average" isn't that high. I can understand "good" being a reasonably high ceiling, but looking at the amount of sheer dross pumped out every season (not just anime, but for, you know, everything), placing "average" as some distant mountain where every single character in a large cast has an arc, where every beat in the plot derives from the motivations of all concerned rather than from the needs of the script, where the budget is high enough (and the crew is motivated enough) to cover for top shelf animation? gently caress, if that's average, then I've missed a ton of amazing shows over the years. Either that or the handful of "good" shows are so awe-inspiringly brilliant that they compensate for almost everything else not reaching 'basic competence'.

As for westerns, first off, to state the incredibly obvious, it's a different genre from war movies. In a Western, the interactions between violent men and the half-civilization half-wilderness that supports them are the whole core of the genre. War movies, they're generally set dressing. Something that ends because the war has started. Not independent agents with their own motives (unless their motive is "I am getting a gun and being in the war" or "No! My child or lover depending on film! You will not be part of the war!"). Giving Keith this whole plotline is pretty uncommon!

And, seriously. "It looks good, but that means they paid money for it to look good, so it doesn't count" is just weird reasoning when evaluating a show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When talking about animation budget it's real important to remember that talent and time available for the animators are typically of much higher concern than how much you're paying, which is definitely still a factor but usually not the most pressing matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well these shots are all cools as heck. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/Noi_75/status/797925935173537792
https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/797923770849595392

Dunno if that's actually Tomino himself however.