Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

teagone posted:

That's most definitely case. That particular shot you posted is more representative of the final look for sure, and looks even better in motion. The scenes where she's running on walls and shooting, and power walking through the water don't look as touched up yet.

As much as I want to be on your side of the argument, I said the same thing when the first Green Lantern trailer came out :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hamelekim posted:

I have the feeling that there are a lot of unfinished special effects in the trailer.

I mean this is the suit she is wearing in multiple scenes, and it looks like a white leotard in some and cool and fleshy in others.

Yeah that looks way better than the initial "steps out of invis" clip. Most of my problems with that footage is that it just looks to glaring and obviously green screened. But it seems that's getting fixed in the end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Inzombiac posted:

As much as I want to be on your side of the argument, I said the same thing when the first Green Lantern trailer came out :smith:

I want to believe.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
So they're really going with Section 9 being part of Hanaka huh.

That's probably the change I hate the most.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I want to harness your optimism and turn it into an energy source.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I thought his eyes were just something the US did to the Rangers during the War. In GITS, he gets a whole squad to talk to him because he was a ranger. So like a future operation?

Japanese GSDF Rangers, to be specific. I believe Boma's another Ranger vet and in near the end of 2nd GIG, you actually see the Rangers unit fighting against, then joining up with, Section 9 for the stolen nuke and they ALL have those shielded cybereyes.

Something tells me that movie Batou starts off being largely human (since Togusa is mostly a bit part) and not almost fully-converted as Kusanagi and gets the eyes later in the movie.

Phone posted:

The 2017 movie is just cribbing stuff from whatever looks cool, so trying to ascribe Batou's history from the movie trailer is an impossible task.

A part of the gimmick with Arise was how it subverted the original GITS movie and the SAC/2nd Gig TV shows for the origin stories. The one that comes to mind is Saito; in 2nd Gig the tachikomas speculate about his origin story while playing poker, the Arise show had him a part of Batou's renegade crew (iirc, I can't remember). I haven't read the manga, but I'm fairly certain that Aramaki hasn't dropped dudes in previous media, but the movie trailer has Beat Takeshi doing the low angle execution shot.

Actually, Saito's some death-wish mercenary that Kusanagi hires in ARISE. In fact, that episode of ARISE is painful because of the character interactions, because Kusanagi and Saito put bullets into Batou's renegade crew without knowing who Ishikawa and Boma are, yet spare them because the story requires it. It would probably be more narratively-consistent if Saito shot Boma and then blew off some soldier's cyborg head, which leads to the cyborg soldier pulling off Boma's head and attaching it as a replacement.

Aramaki doesn't drop dudes but he does come close to it. The manga actually has him storm into the Section 1 chief's office and pull a gun on him to call off the mission against Kusanagi.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

strategery posted:

I am not convinced it is amnesia. Part of the series, specifically with the laughing man storyline which this is apparently partially based on, is people can be hacked into. So there could be something else going on here that isnt apparent. I dont want to rush to judge a plotline before I know it is actually correct or not. I think the movie looks as good as I could have hoped for. Crossing fingers.

I wish you the best with that, but if amnesia was a plot device halfway through the story I doubt they'd have put it in the trailer. After Avatar and Dragonball evolution, they're gonna have to prove this movie doesn't suck rather than the other way around.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That trailer looks a lot better than I expected. It doesn't look like "my" GitS, but it does look like a movie I will go see.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wish you the best with that, but if amnesia was a plot device halfway through the story I doubt they'd have put it in the trailer. After Avatar and Dragonball evolution, they're gonna have to prove this movie doesn't suck rather than the other way around.

Yeah, I'm still feeling like it'll be Aeon Flux The Movie 2 unless a really impressive trailer comes out. Definitely isn't getting any benefit of the doubt from me at least.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It seems like there's a weird amnesia aspect to the story now? That's a little bit more than just messing around with her background a bit, and it makes me think they didn't think what was there already would be enough for audiences, and that makes me think it's going to not be well received because it'll be a bunch of the audience going "what's all this weird poo poo, why isn't she shooting anyone" and a small corner of them going "what the gently caress did they do to the story?"

This is adapted from the second tv series. Part of the Major's personal story in that is that she has no memories from her life from before becoming a full body cyborg, her earliest remaining memories are of a person she met as she was recovering from the process, a guy named Kuze.

The guy speaking at the end of the trailer is Kuze.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah the screenplay is running with the Kuze arch, which was laid down by Oshii and also featured reworked versions of the iconic action sequences from his films. 2nd Gig is probably the best place to look to get an idea of what this movie will be like.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, I'm still feeling like it'll be Aeon Flux The Movie 2 unless a really impressive trailer comes out. Definitely isn't getting any benefit of the doubt from me at least.

Is it really fair to compare Aeon Flux MTV jerk bait to GITS? Name one good Aeon Flux story. Now The Maxx, that was a show.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah the screenplay is running with the Kuze arch, which was laid down by Oshii and also featured reworked versions of the iconic action sequences from his films. 2nd Gig is probably the best place to look to get an idea of what this movie will be like.

Seemlar posted:

This is adapted from the second tv series. Part of the Major's personal story in that is that she has no memories from her life from before becoming a full body cyborg, her earliest remaining memories are of a person she met as she was recovering from the process, a guy named Kuze.

The guy speaking at the end of the trailer is Kuze.

Interesting. I've never watch SAC. Guess I should get around to doing that. I've only ever watched the two films. Is ARISE worth looking at as well?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

That trailer looks a lot better than I expected. It doesn't look like "my" GitS, but it does look like a movie I will go see.

"My" GitS is what everyone appears to be looking for, and couldn't be more obvious that everyone's is different. Watching people try to take down the movie, mostly with criticisms I'd expect from 13-year-olds, has been something else.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
SAC is definitely worth watching.

That new trailer gives me some hope but the fact that they're throwing in the Geishas from Innocence and what looks like a snippet of the water canal fight from the first GITS makes me wonder how much a clusterfucked mashup this thing is going to be. Trying to hold out hope. :(

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

teagone posted:

Interesting. I've never watch SAC. Guess I should get around to doing that. I've only ever watched the two films. Is ARISE worth looking at as well?

I personally think SAC is a way better watch than the two movies, so, yeah, definitely watch it. Not that I don't like the movie, but GitS is definitely something I feel like I appreciate more than viscerally enjoy.

I didn't think much of ARISE though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

Is it really fair to compare Aeon Flux MTV jerk bait to GITS? Name one good Aeon Flux story. Now The Maxx, that was a show.

If you were jerking it to Aeon Flux then you probably get some help. Besides, imagine if there was a live action The Maxx that was as bad as an adaption as the live action Aeon Flux.

teagone posted:

SAC is very good but has a couple lovely filler episodes. Not that many, maybe 2 or 3 over the two seasons? There's also the film Solid State Society, I remember enjoying that one. Arise is okay but it's definitely not as good as SAC. It's worth watching if you just want more GitS though.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
That slow-motion sound effect in the trailer gets old really fast. I like what I see, though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Besides, imagine if there was a live action The Maxx that was as bad as an adaption as the live action Aeon Flux.

Not possible.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

SAC is definitely worth watching.

That new trailer gives me some hope but the fact that they're throwing in the Geishas from Innocence and what looks like a snippet of the water canal fight from the first GITS makes me wonder how much a clusterfucked mashup this thing is going to be. Trying to hold out hope. :(

GitS at this point has had at least four wildly different incarnations (you could argue six given how much the style shifts between the both the first and second movies and the first and second seasons), three of which have huge fanbases. Matching everyone's idea of GitS is pretty impossible.

Taking the strongest elements of the two most popular incarnations (Oshii's films and SAC) and merging them seems like the closest a studio could hope to come, and drawing from the second season of the show makes sense since that's the closest the two styles have been blended thus far.

I can't really see the problem with using elements like the geishas or thermoptic canal fight since that's the kind of thing every incarnation of GitS has done. The first film was a collection of unrelated sequences from the comics that Oshii Frankensteined together around one plot that matched his own philosophical musings. 2nd Gig remixed several of Oshii's versions of the same scenes. It's only fitting that a new adaptation would do the same.

I'm still skeptical since I'm not a fan of the director's previous work and am unsure that he can rework these scenes with half the taste that Oshii did, but the concept itself is sound.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was kind of dreading this but the trailer has me cautiously optimistic. I really only remember the original film, innocence, and have vague recollections of watching SAC over a decade ago, so I'm pretty open to whatever they choose to do with it.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Thats definitely a fear I have as well, but I have to say I really like how the creepy geishas translated in live action. A lot of the visual elements we see in the trailer are pretty nice, and the only time I really got taken out of things was by how rough/bad that canal fight looked.

I went from writing it off to being cautiously optimistic though, so maybe the trailer did its job?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a trailer for the original movie floating around? I don't know if it captured the tone and and the encompassing religious feeling the film had, but this trailer sure doesn't, and it seems overly occupied with action, but that's just a marketing thing. The 95 movie was dripping with grime while the trailer seems to go back and forth between CGI cityscapes, sterile sets and dark, wet alleys. While there are some location shots, overall I'm getting a SW-prequely vibe from this. Which I guess is why people are bringing up Ultraviolet, since that is a movie that indulges on the artificial sterility of itself.

There are good things about it as well, like the cast: Johanssen was a good choice and Takashi is unbeatable, even if the lines in the trailer are ho-hum. The photography is great, and everything to do with the monks is making me hopefully for a more thoughtful and deliberate movie that what they're pushing with all the action (which isn't all bad, I saw a practical squib which is getting rarer).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

dont even fink about it posted:

"My" GitS is what everyone appears to be looking for, and couldn't be more obvious that everyone's is different. Watching people try to take down the movie, mostly with criticisms I'd expect from 13-year-olds, has been something else.

I'm weird, it visually looks great to me and when I see the action scenes it totally looks like "my" gits, other than obvious touch ups needed here and there. It's the bits of plot they've shown so far that make me a little worried, because if they turn this thing into an amnesia action movie it's kind of missing the entire point of gits, sort of. It can definitely be part of it, but if they make it the main focus?

I hope it looks good enough and does well enough that people might take this sort of thing more seriously. I'm just not sure it will is all.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think Oshii's movies were actually the only GitS incarnations where it wasn't explicitly stated that Kusanagi can't remember her pre-shelled life (Though it would have fit right in with her questioning her own identity and existence). And with the new movie's villain being Kuze, there's no way that aspect of her character can be ignored.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Welp, looks like someone posted most the props on display at the trailer release in Tokyo
http://collider.com/ghost-in-the-sh...t-tabloid-tokyo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

all those guns and no Mateba

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Have you seen what they cost these days? :v:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Not even a Chiappa Rhino, which are basically Mateba revolvers since Mateba went out of business.

The thing that gets me is that Tavor SMG they have looks bulky as poo poo. Those are genuinely guns that look like they should be fighting cyborgs and space aliens and they're occasionally used for that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The 'Skinny Man's Uzi' pic is hilarious, it looks like he covered an Uzi in cake mix and popped it in the oven for a bit.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I really dislike how they are going the cliche route of acting as though being turned into a cyborg is some horrible thing is really pushed in the trailer. In the GiTS universe, basically the only downside to being a cyborg is that maintenance is really expensive, and you become vulnerable to hacking. Togusa is an outlier with his opinions on being a cyborg, and even he has the brain implant. There are tons of more interesting themes to explore.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I really dislike how they are going the cliche route of acting as though being turned into a cyborg is some horrible thing is really pushed in the trailer. In the GiTS universe, basically the only downside to being a cyborg is that maintenance is really expensive, and you become vulnerable to hacking. Togusa is an outlier with his opinions on being a cyborg, and even he has the brain implant. There are tons of more interesting themes to explore.

On the other hand, American audiences are dumb

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hey since this is popular can some people clear this up for me how influential was the creator of Ghost in the Shell's original work to GiTS franchise now. I have only seen both seasons of Stand Alone Complex which I love and the first movie which I had a very hard time following. The only thing I know about the original manga is that the author basically hosed off to drawiing exclusively hentai.

Did the heavy themes and setting come from the manga or was it just something the movie expanded on. Sorry if Im disrespecting a great artist, just ignorant.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The manga is pretty good, the themes tend to revolve around what makes you an actual person. So far there's only a couple things I'm really not liking, Batou's hair is bad and the Major's thermoptic suit looks like poo poo. Otherwise it might be okayish.
O poo poo I just realized there's no Fuchikomas, shameful!

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 14, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Hey since this is popular can some people clear this up for me how influential was the creator of Ghost in the Shell's original work to GiTS franchise now. I have only seen both seasons of Stand Alone Complex which I love and the first movie which I had a very hard time following. The only thing I know about the original manga is that the author basically hosed off to drawiing exclusively hentai.

Did the heavy themes and setting come from the manga or was it just something the movie expanded on. Sorry if Im disrespecting a great artist, just ignorant.

The manga artist did talk about the heavy themes but the manga was more about slapstick comedy and big guns. The movies introduced the artsy and melancholy tone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The films are so much better than the manga that it's crazy that they're related at all.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

The films are so much better than the manga that it's crazy that they're related at all.

Yeah, and then there's Shiros other work, especially the later stuff, being really....well pervy and hosed up.

I'm glad the movies and tv shows were only based on his idea and not controlled by him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
He did contribute script ideas to the first season of SAC apparently.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

HIJK posted:

Yeah, but much like Lucas is being most useful when you have a room of people to shut down his worst ideas, I'm glad he wasn't in control.

He has good ideas, they just seem to get wrapped up with really bad ones more often than I'd like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HIJK posted:

Were they direct contributions or just some more ideas adapted from the manga? A few of the SAC episodes were very similar to chapters of the manga that the movies didn't touch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's stuff in SAC from both the original manga, but also some of the only cool bits from the terrible sequel. Alongside the original material of course.

• Locked thread