Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

You have no idea how impressed I am that somebody can think that what is being shown on Agents of SHIELD has ANY effect or impact on what will be happening on the bigscreen.

i mean the royal inhumans were never really meant to have anything to do with the earth ones were they? like the only similarity is that they get their powers from the same place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The problem with Inhumans is that pretty much every Inhuman who isn't Kamala Khan is just an awful, awful person. They're never going to take off as a franchise because they aren't super-likeable and are in fact a eugenics cult.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

The problem with Inhumans is that pretty much every Inhuman who isn't Kamala Khan is just an awful, awful person. They're never going to take off as a franchise because they aren't super-likeable and are in fact a eugenics cult.

I dunno, "what if republicans were the good guys" could gain traction

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Reader and Frank McGee are cool as hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MrJacobs posted:

Those aren't the Inhumans they are pushing. We are talking about a literal mutant substitute, not a cool kingdom of ancient superpowered based culture and teleporting dogs.

That's just how they're using it in Agents of SHIELD, which gives me pretty good confidence that if we see an actual Inhumans movie we'll get the latter stuff. If they weren't planning to use the cool poo poo in a movie, they'd have gone ahead and shot their load like with Ghost Rider.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's just how they're using it in Agents of SHIELD, which gives me pretty good confidence that if we see an actual Inhumans movie we'll get the latter stuff. If they weren't planning to use the cool poo poo in a movie, they'd have gone ahead and shot their load like with Ghost Rider.

They haven't said much about the Inhumans movie, but one of the few things they confirmed is that is it going to star Black Bolt, Medusa, Karnak, Gorgon, Triton, Crystal, Maximus the Mad, and Lockjaw.

It is also going to be like Civil War in that it is loosely based on a comic story arc.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is also going to be like Civil War in that it is loosely based on a comic story arc.

Maybe this time it'll be a revenge western future noir dramedy. I'm sorry, be influenced by such.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drifter posted:

Maybe this time it'll be a revenge western future noir dramedy. I'm sorry, be influenced by such.

Oh poo poo they're making a sequel to the hit 1988 film Sunset? Because I'm loving there.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Isn't that movie "on hold" (i.e. getting cancelled the moment they have the opportunity)? I thought their idea just didn't come to fruition at all, so they delayed it beyond Infinity War so they could just go "well we tried" later.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 15, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My buddy regularly reads x-men comics and I guess in one of the main story lines their is this giant fart cloud killing mutants, which is also resistant to every known power, ability and science, and so the only way they can 'save' everyone is if they transfuse inhuman blood into them. Thus they are no longer mutants, but inhumans.

I don't read the X men series my self but it does seem like something they would do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DC Murderverse posted:

Isn't that movie "on hold" (i.e. getting cancelled the moment they have the opportunity)? I thought their idea just didn't come to fruition at all, so they delayed it beyond Infinity War so they could just go "well we tried" later.

Feige just gave an interview a week ago and one of the questions was about the Inhumans, He basically said that "for sure, it will happen." and that it was taken off the Phase 3 calendar, but it was not cancelled and it will get a Phase 4 release date (no confirmation on when in Phase 4 though).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Excelsiortothemax posted:

My buddy regularly reads x-men comics and I guess in one of the main story lines their is this giant fart cloud killing mutants, which is also resistant to every known power, ability and science, and so the only way they can 'save' everyone is if they transfuse inhuman blood into them. Thus they are no longer mutants, but inhumans.

I don't read the X men series my self but it does seem like something they would do.

I'd pay a lot of money to be there when a lawyer has to explain this to the judge at some Marvel v Fox IP law case.

"Your honour, we're saying that as this particular clone of Nathan Summers was never a mutant but is now an inhuman, he isn't party to the X-Men IP that we licensed to the good folks at 20th Century Fox. Now, I know what you're thinking: Stryfe was a mutant, right? Well, if you look at this chart, I'll try to clear things up for you..."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
I think the thing with Guardians is that it has more in common with Firefly or Cowboy Bebop or The Fifth Element than it does with most superhero movies, while sharing the space opera trimmings that frame superhero films.

Whereas Inhumans is literally only being made because the studio can't use a hugely popular property which the studio which does have the rights has done its best to saturate the market with already.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hodgepodge posted:

I think the thing with Guardians is that it has more in common with Firefly or Cowboy Bebop or The Fifth Element than it does with most superhero movies, while sharing the space opera trimmings that frame superhero films.

Haha, are you kidding me? Aside from 'being mostly in space or in a setting with a spaceship' then maybe, but Guardians was just another watered down lovely Marvel Movie except this time it had a 80's trailer soundtrack and a kinda funny CGI character(s).

It's memorable because instead of a boring blue sky backdrop for some scenes we had a rather colorful space backdrop.

Guardians had more in common with Star Trek Beyond than any of the other movies you listed. And if STB had a funny raccoon it would have bested Guardians by a country mile while still not coming close to being halfway decent.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 13, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Guardians was basically Marvel Star Wars. Star Trek Beyond was an awful movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Guardians was basically Marvel Star Wars.
:jerkbag: Sure thing, Stretch Armstrong.

Star Trek Beyond was an awful movie.
Which is why I used it in my example

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So does the thread hate Guardians now? I thought that was one of the "good ones"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

So does the thread hate Guardians now? I thought that was one of the "good ones"

I think everything is hated by at least one person in this thread.

Except Blade. Nobody here, not even the Man of Steel fans, are stupid enough to hate Blade.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never saw it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"The thread"? There's only one guy bashing it.

I like Guardians. It occasionally is overhyped, especially with the whole "a movie with a talking raccoon is more popular than X!" arguments. But it is fun and colorful. It could use some better action, I feel like Ant-Man and Dr. Strange are considerably better in that department.

(that's just my personal opinion though, I do not speak for the thread)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GoTG is the best Marcel movie.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

GoTG is the best Marcel movie.

The best Marcel movie is actually OUTBREAK 2: THE VIRUS TAKES MANHATTAN :colbert:

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

'Guardians of the Galaxy' is in fact far more like a subpar episode of Farscape than any other Space Opera property.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jutsuka posted:

'Guardians of the Galaxy' is in fact far more like a subpar episode of Farscape than any other Space Opera property.

It's Farscape with a lovely villain.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Except they bought the rights to some eighties music.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Are you saying I should go watch Farscape?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moriatti posted:

It's Farscape with a lovely villain.

So it's season 4 of Farscape?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should just make a new kind of Mutants that get their powers from Magic instead of Science. Call them whatever they want, like Mystics or Stand Users or Specials or whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guardians was basically Marvel Star Wars. Star Trek Beyond was an awful movie.

Actually it owned.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Beyond used licensed music better than GOTG.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

"The thread"? There's only one guy bashing it.

I like Guardians. It occasionally is overhyped, especially with the whole "a movie with a talking raccoon is more popular than X!" arguments. But it is fun and colorful. It could use some better action, I feel like Ant-Man and Dr. Strange are considerably better in that department.

(that's just my personal opinion though, I do not speak for the thread)

I am the official spokesperson for the hivemind of the comic book movie megathread, and a consensus was reached a long time ago regarding GotG, and that is that it's aggressively mediocre.

The Thread has spoken.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The MSJ posted:

Beyond used licensed music better than GOTG.

The robot swarm defeated by the Beastie Boys. I cannot emphasize how stupid that was. The joke about "classical music" was just a poo poo cherry on a turd sundae. I was very disappointed to learn that Simon Pegg helped write it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
i haven't seen stb but I really can't imagine the beastie boys stuff being much better or worse than how starman beat lee pace

Also re: guardians I will say this, i like James gunn and I don't know who's to blame for wasting lee pace but they should be condemned for it

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The robot swarm defeated by the Beastie Boys. I cannot emphasize how stupid that was.

Ahahaha you joyless gently caress

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ahahaha you joyless gently caress

It was pretty dumb though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

It was a lot better use of the music than the stolen car scene in the first one

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guardians was basically Marvel Star Wars.

So if Star Wars had been done by a Disney-owned studio?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Lobok posted:

So if Star Wars had been done by a Disney-owned studio?

No that's The Force Awakens.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Are you saying I should go watch Farscape?

Well yeah, that's a given. I really like GotG and would still recommend watching Farscape instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should just make a new kind of Mutants that get their powers from Magic instead of Science. Call them whatever they want, like Mystics or Stand Users or Specials or whatever.

I don't think you appreciate the exploitative nature of corporate branding.

• Locked thread