Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mahoning posted:

It only happened in like 3 or 4 states. Stop looking at nationwide exit polls. Jesus Christ.

Then show me proof that it happened in those 3 or 4 states. And don't just show me turnout numbers, show me specifically that registered Democrats in those states voted in significantly greater numbers for Trump than Romney or McCain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

You're quoting a poster who sunk a ton of money into the already-known-to-be-bankrupt Mt Gox bitcoin exchange while they were in the processing of closing their doors completely, and he still clings to this as being a good decision. Let that sink in for a moment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Covok posted:

To be honest, the fact I don't know what internal strife you're all referring to probably has a lot to do with it. I frankly know very little of Chinese politics other than the occasional story of a person being silenced for subversive dialogue/actions.

China is basically a system of provincial officials running hog wild in periods of monetary expansion, and getting their provinces saddled with enormous debt in an effort to stimulate growth more effectively than their "competitors" from other provinces. Then the federal government responds with monetary restrictions, and starts bailing out regional projects that failed to meet their expectations, while the successful officials get promoted. It's a huge lottery where, as a career bureaucrat, you need to go all in when presented with an opportunity for investment, and hope to win big in order to get a promotion, or get destroyed and have your career ruined. Then the central authorities clean up the mess. That is just not a stable, sustainable system, it is a machine for making the largest economic bubble in history, and nothing more.And that's not even taking into account the looming demographic crisis.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

Women are a majority of the country and I'd rather see another female candidate than a second Bernie run.

You cannot be this stupid. Tokenism is what sunk the democrats this year. You need that archetype - a man of the people - or you will lose again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No, an ad hominem attack would be where I claimed that he was wrong because he made other dumb decisions. MLR is wrong because the data doesn't support his conclusions. My post is just making fun of you for supporting a bitcoin true believer who makes bad life choices

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Knight posted:

Right now? Us. In a year? Nobody.

You should be afraid. We hosed up big time.

Well, this is worse than I assumed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Judakel posted:

You cannot be this stupid. Tokenism is what sunk the democrats this year. You need that archetype - a man of the people - or you will lose again.

So you're arguing we literally need to run an old straight white dude because of the appeal of the ~archetype~?

Nah. I want Kamala Harris.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Then show me proof that it happened in those 3 or 4 states. And don't just show me turnout numbers, show me specifically that registered Democrats in those states voted in significantly greater numbers for Trump than Romney or McCain

I don't have those numbers, I'm not sure they exist yet, but how about you read the article that Mark Blyth tweeted and has been posted and reposted in this thread?

Antonin Scalia
Feb 14, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think conceptually people understood that "sit down, shut up, and listen" is not addressed to working class white people. It's addressed to the white progressives who seek to organize the new Democratic Party.
I think working class white people will easily parse this statement as exactly equivalent to what the DNC has been telling them for some time, that is, "you're here to provide votes, and we're here to tell you what you want".

Is there even any other way to parse it?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

:words: KKK. :words: orange god :words: racist

Lol if this is seriously the way Dems plan to approach anyone who either didn't vote or voted for trump, then you might as well get ready for 8 years of the orange god

There's a lot of people out there where getting a job or getting help with their student loans is more important than what bathroom someone uses even though they aren't bigots

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
'I voted for Obama twice' is the new 'i have a black friend'.

I dont care who you voted for, I respect your vote regardless.

People not showing up because Clinton didnt inspire and are now worried.. not so much. But I am glad they act up on it now!

Also: jfc, breitbart in the White House. I feel for you America, I feel for you. Including Republicans, because even if a large number voted Trump out of despair (any change is better than what it is now. Any change) I really doubt they will be better after these 4 years if reps can get all their wishes granted. Unless trickle down economy works out of the blue

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I don't have those numbers, I'm not sure they exist yet, but how about you read the article that Mark Blyth tweeted and has been posted and reposted in this thread?

Why are you drawing conclusions from numbers that you don't have, then?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Covok posted:

Okay, at the risk of annoying y'all with questions, why is everyone else doing so bad and we're doing so good?

I think that if anyone here could answer that definitively they probably wouldn't be posting on SA. :)

Seriously, though, who knows? Part of it is probably that we didn't respond to our financial crisis with a massive push for austerity the way that the EU countries did around 2012. China is in a bubble and their government seems to have no idea how to react at either a federal or provincial level. Russia and other petrostates are reeling from cheap oil. The US economy is on life support at the moment, but at least we haven't been actively making the worst possible decisions at every juncture... until now, anyway.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Antonin Scalia posted:

I think working class white people will easily parse this statement as exactly equivalent to what the DNC has been telling them for some time, that is, "you're here to provide votes, and we're here to tell you what you want".

Is there even any other way to parse it?

I mean, reading comprehension is hard, bro. It's on a list that starts with "for progressives."

Furthermore, I would never campaign on such a thing. It's for the organizing and leadership choosing phase, not the campaign.

My Linux Rig posted:

Lol if this is seriously the way Dems plan to approach anyone who either didn't vote or voted for trump, then you might as well get ready for 8 years of the orange god

There's a lot of people out there where getting a job or getting help with their student loans is more important than what bathroom someone uses even though they aren't bigots

I don't give a single gently caress about your vote. There's several million other white working class people out there who aren't massively smug pricks about voting for somebody they knew was a shithead and didn't care about.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

So you're arguing we literally need to run an old straight white dude because of the appeal of the ~archetype~?

If identity politics are a factor, I'm go to say absolutely no to any white collar politician from California or New York.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Paradoxish posted:

I think that if anyone here could answer that definitively they probably wouldn't be posting on SA. :)

Seriously, though, who knows? Part of it is probably that we didn't respond to our financial crisis with a massive push for austerity the way that the EU countries did around 2012. China is in a bubble and their government seems to have no idea how to react at either a federal or provincial level. Russia and other petrostates are reeling from cheap oil. The US economy is on life support at the moment, but at least we haven't been actively making the worst possible decisions at every juncture... until now, anyway.

Sounds more and more like our country has been narrowly avoiding a serious global crisis through good governance and we just threw away good governance.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't give a single gently caress about your vote. There's several million other white working class people out there who aren't massively smug pricks about voting for somebody they knew was a shithead and didn't care about.

It is the Age of the Edgelord.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Squinty posted:

If identity politics are a factor, I'm go to say absolutely no to any white collar politician from California or New York.

Kamala Harris is of the progressive wing. I sure as poo poo would rather have her than Cory Booker, who is another obvious candidate who suffers from being a conservative Dem.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Lightning Knight posted:

And before that happened one Howard Dean was going to run for that seat. Do you think Keith Ellison would've won on his own merits versus Dean, absent the party leadership backing him up? A party leadership made up of old white guys.

I think the fight is obviously a lot harder for Ellison if he doesn't have the support of party leadership. Although Sanders and Warren endorsements may have be enough, certainly Schumer and Reid help a lot. That said there is nothing wrong with the system because a person who had previously done the job, and who is considered to have done it very successfully is looking to take it back. There is no other situation in which you would look at it with this sort of strange racial scrutiny. If you had someone doing any other service, and they left and then a new person took over and did not do as well, when that new person left you would probably think about hiring the old one back.

quote:

See, I think they made the right play. They're cool. But they just as easily could've backed Dean instead, and that would've been a shame.

I think Ellison is probably a better decision, because I don't want to compromise on progressive issues to pursue a fifty state strategy. If Ellison being black or Muslim excites people then I'm happy enough about that but I'm not cynical or racist enough to choose a leader on the basis of their race or religion.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

QuarkJets posted:

I haven't seen any proof to suggest that traditional Dem voters went for Trump in any significant numbers.

That wasn't what I was saying. They just didn't come out to vote

Voter suppression might have played a role, and the media selling the narrative of an easy Clinton win probably didn't help either.

But the story from most people I talked to was that they didn't like either candidate, and they were pretty disappointed in their own party for dismissing them and their candidate completely

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Accretionist posted:

Multipolarity is the future.

Everyone else is a bigger gently caress up than us, more than willing to sign off under our lead to keep things easy for themselves. The future is still ours for the lifetime of everyone reading this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
chelsea clinton 2024

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mulva posted:

Everyone else is a bigger gently caress up than us, more than willing to sign off under our lead to keep things easy for themselves. The future is still ours for the lifetime of everyone reading this.

Most likely, it's just going to be a fair bit shittier.

Covok
May 27, 2013

In all serious, how likely are we to experience a serious economic depression in the next 4 to 8 years?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mr. Belding posted:

I think the fight is obviously a lot harder for Ellison if he doesn't have the support of party leadership. Although Sanders and Warren endorsements may have be enough, certainly Schumer and Reid help a lot. That said there is nothing wrong with the system because a person who had previously done the job, and who is considered to have done it very successfully is looking to take it back. There is no other situation in which you would look at it with this sort of strange racial scrutiny. If you had someone doing any other service, and they left and then a new person took over and did not do as well, when that new person left you would probably think about hiring the old one back.

I think Ellison is probably a better decision, because I don't want to compromise on progressive issues to pursue a fifty state strategy. If Ellison being black or Muslim excites people then I'm happy enough about that but I'm not cynical or racist enough to choose a leader on the basis of their race or religion.

The problem is that if we do not push for minority candidates, then mysteriously the best candidates will always end up being straight white guys. Progressives and liberals aren't immune to systemic racism.

Thatim posted:

It is the Age of the Edgelord.

I don't care about Trump voters' feelings in this thread. Sue me. Out there, in the real world, organizing? I'll pretend like I don't hate them for caring so little about the damage they voted for. But here? Nah, gently caress 'em.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

No. You need to run a good candidate REGARDLESS of whatever label you can attach to them. I didn't say straight white guy, I said someone who appeals to the working class. Kamala Harris is seen as part of the democratic establishment and she won't win. For someone surely obsessed with getting past labels, you sure see them as a huge factor in picking candidates. Learn from this defeat. Don't just come back here and repeat all the same mistakes you made the first time. Don't pick unappealing candidates due to pedigree or tokenism.

Are you traumatized by this?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Covok posted:

In all serious, how likely are we to experience a serious economic depression in the next 4 to 8 years?

Like 100%

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Covok posted:

No-one really knows.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Why are you drawing conclusions from numbers that you don't have, then?

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/usappblog/2016/11/11/23174/

quote:

The Rust Belt states that delivered the presidency to Trump—Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan—were extremely close. On one hand this means that any number of factors can be said to be a “cause” for the outcome. Slightly lower black turnout, third-party candidates, and depressed Democratic turnout generally will all be cited as such factors. But none of that addresses the fact that to shift Michigan, say, from +10 for Obama to even cannot be explained by these factors. You still have to account for people who voted for Trump, many of which probably flipped from being Obama voters. Digging deeper into county results supports this.

Take Macomb County and Oakland County in Michigan. Macomb County is mostly white and has a median household income of around $53,000. It is not particularly poor, but also not affluent. It is often characterized as “working class” and “socially conservative”. The county voted enthusiastically for Kennedy in 1960, Johnson in 1964, Nixon in 1972, and Reagan in 1984. It voted for Obama twice (+9 in 2008, +4 in 2012). Trump won Macomb by nine points. The number of voters was the same. Trump peeled off white working-class votes. In contrast, we have neighboring Oakland County, which is considerably more affluent (median income of $66,000), has a university, and has more of a New Economy, advanced manufacturing economic base. It is more diverse as well. It is a traditionally conservative suburban community that has been drifting Democratic since 1996. Obama was the first presidential candidate to win a majority in the county since 1988. There, turnout for both candidates was down a bit, but the difference remained the exact same. Oakland was +8 Democrat in 2012 and +8 in 2016. Democratic support remained roughly the same in the more affluent, diverse, and educated county while shifting significantly in the traditionally working class community.

Or take Mahoning and Ashtabula Counties in Ohio. Mahoning is the Rustiest part of the Rust Belt, once at the heart of American steel production. The city was unionized, multiracial, and solidly Democratic. It was also ravaged by deindustrialization. As writer Sean Posey points out, it was long represented in Congress by Jim Traficant, a proto-Trump who railed against the free trade policies until he ended up in jail on corruption charges (which had little impact on his popularity). The county is economically poor (median household income of $23,000) and culturally as working class as it gets. It has been solidly Democrat in presidential elections for decades. Obama won the county decisively (+26 in 2008, +28 in 2012) and the county contributed much to his statewide majority. Hillary Clinton won Mahoning by three points. Ashtabula, by contrast, is overwhelmingly white, more exurban, and more affluent than Mahoning, but with average household incomes considerably lower than the national average ($40,000 median family income). It has none of the knowledge economy trappings of Oakland County. People there once worked in auto plants and now work in hospitals. It has been solidly Democratic in presidential contests since 1988. Ashtabula decisively supported Obama in 2012 (+13) and decisively supported Trump in 2016 (+19).

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

Nobody here can predict the future

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

That wasn't what I was saying. They just didn't come out to vote

Voter suppression might have played a role, and the media selling the narrative of an easy Clinton win probably didn't help either.

But the story from most people I talked to was that they didn't like either candidate, and they were pretty disappointed in their own party for dismissing them and their candidate completely

That was my experience as well; my feeling was that people just weren't excited about Clinton. I'm not sure if there's anything that she could have done to change that, though; her scandals, even when they were completely meaningless, have been the focus of the entire year, and progressive felt like her somewhat-progressive platform wasn't authentic.

If Clinton had come right out and said "we're adopting the Sanders platform" or "we're going to legalize weed ya'll" or "day 1 I am arrested everyone on Wall Street" I'm not even sure if people would have believed her

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

corn in the bible posted:

chelsea clinton 2024

No.

Pretty much. Even if Hillary and the Dem Senators had all gotten elected. It's a cycle.

Judakel posted:

No. You need to run a good candidate REGARDLESS of whatever label you can attach to them. I didn't say straight white guy, I said someone who appeals to the working class. Kamala Harris is seen as part of the democratic establishment and she won't win. For someone surely obsessed with getting past labels, you sure see them as a huge factor in picking candidates. Learn from this defeat. Don't just come back here and repeat all the same mistakes you made the first time. Don't pick unappealing candidates due to pedigree or tokenism.

Are you traumatized by this?

I'm not "traumatized" by anything. I am deeply suspicious that "appeals to the working class" means "Joe Biden," however.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, a white dude is an easier sell than a woman sorry to say. This country is sexist as hell. We need someone charismatic like Obama and for a woman that means she would need to be better than Obama or at least have a rock solid populist appeal. Hard to do right and not worth loving up. Don't ignore the reality: people thought Hillary was a shrill bitch.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

QuarkJets posted:

That was my experience as well; my feeling was that people just weren't excited about Clinton. I'm not sure if there's anything that she could have done to change that, though; her scandals, even when they were completely meaningless, have been the focus of the entire year, and progressive felt like her somewhat-progressive platform wasn't authentic.

If Clinton had come right out and said "we're adopting the Sanders platform" or "we're going to legalize weed ya'll" or "day 1 I am arrested everyone on Wall Street" I'm not even sure if people would have believed her

She withstood scandals just fine. Nothing really stuck or dissuaded people. The problem seemed to be, as another poster mentioned a few days ago, that no one could figure out why she was running in the first place. It was just "her time".

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Covok posted:

Like, literally nobody can answer this question. Go poll a huge pile of economists and you'll get a ton of wildly varying answers, although I doubt any of them would use the term "depression." A recession, though? We're already beyond the average length of a US recovery post-WW2. A recession is all but guaranteed in the next four years, but that would be true with a Clinton presidency too.

If there's no recession between now and 2020 then that's an oddity in and of itself.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Night10194 posted:

Most likely, it's just going to be a fair bit shittier.

The potential is.....hilariously terrible, but there's still a chance that Trump is no worse than "Bush 2, but slightly more". Which wouldn't be great, there are real issues a Republican government is likely to ignore, but that is something that you can start to shake off in 4 years rather than something that gut shot the country forever or whatever loving doom and gloom scenario is going through some people's heads. And again, everyone else is doing *even worse*. There is no massive generally influential country even vaguely in our ballpark, nobody waiting in the wings to swoop up influence and capital. It's us or it's nobody, and the world isn't ready for it to be nobody. So it's us. Unless Trump goes full retard and makes all the wrong moves, honestly 4 years from now looks mostly the same. Probably more hate crimes and no real socially progressive development, but pretty much the same.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Judakel posted:

What the gently caress?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem is that if we do not push for minority candidates, then mysteriously the best candidates will always end up being straight white guys. Progressives and liberals aren't immune to systemic racism.

I don't care about Trump voters' feelings in this thread. Sue me. Out there, in the real world, organizing? I'll pretend like I don't hate them for caring so little about the damage they voted for. But here? Nah, gently caress 'em.

I feel you buddy. But I ment the guy who you was replying to.

In 20 years he will probally be ashamed by how he acted (not saying that everyone voting for Trump should be ashamed) or he will try to justify.

He gives the people that voted Trump because they are desperate a bad name. He just thinks its ~cool~

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

HorseRenoir posted:

things aren't looking so peachy for China either, their economy is in a really precarious place and when it crashes it's gonna crash hard

When it crashes so will ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

No.

Pretty much. Even if Hillary and the Dem Senators had all gotten elected. It's a cycle.

I'm not "traumatized" by anything. I am deeply suspicious that "appeals to the working class" means "Joe Biden," however.

Biden is not what I have in mind, but so what if he fit? So what if it is a straight white guy? Jesus...

• Locked thread