Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Zikan posted:

this article is garbage

No kidding.

"People are now saying that the Democratic Party needs to change but I say gently caress it lets double down on the same old message and policies that pay lip service to minorities but have done nothing to improve their actual economic situation in 30+ years!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

White working class voters don't vote for us yet. In the meantime the Republicans are aggressively enacting voter suppression. We need to fix both of these problems. If you think one of them is undeserving you're going to keep losing elections.

I don't, but that has nothing to do with winning minority votes.

quote:

I said I want a bullshitter who will enact the platform when they win. They don't have to lie, but they can't go for Hillary's schoolteacher act. Regular people don't like listening to policy dumps. They want to feel special because they heard a cool speech.

So, not a bullshitter?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

agreed, which is why they need to adopt a more realistic perspective and push for expanded welfare rather than engaging in pointless raindances hoping that high wage semiskilled jobs will fall from heaven

I've never been against a stronger welfare state or mincome. Last time anything like that was suggested it was immediately scuttled by centrists as unrealistic though.

Lightning Knight posted:

I love that this is consistently the butthurt message you get out of this. "Please, white dudes, listen to minorities and help them gain leadership positions" has become "white straight men are banned from politics, you can never run for anything." We need hundreds of congresspeople, of course some of them are gonna be white dudes. We need thousands of leaders in the party, and some of them will be white dudes too. All I want is to not have another procession of fifty white dudes for President while we promise minorities we swear we care about you please vote for us. Why is that so much to ask?

I already told you you're going to get bernie supporters hackles up because your phrasing is incredibly similar to what Hillary supporters were saying while shutting down any leftist suggestions. As far as I can tell, you'd be behind a bernie run if he was the strongest candidate available just like all us leftist will be behind Keith Ellison cause he's the strongest candidate for DNC chairman. IMO as a berniebro I'm behind a bernie run in 2020 if that's necessary, but hopefully we find someone else soon because even though I like bernie he's really really old.

I think you'll find that a large majority of the dem left will line up against a candidate that will at least give us a bit of leftism regardless if sex, age, or race.

So again I'm confused why you keep up with the "sit down and shut up white dems" line instead of something like "social and economic justice are both necessary".

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
No matter how horrifying, bleak, or dangerous this all gets.

Just remember...

It gets worse.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
LOL! Yes, what the Democratic party needs right now is not a sincere actor but a better bullshit artist. That totally won't get called out in five seconds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Three-Phase posted:

No matter how horrifying, bleak, or dangerous this all gets.

Just remember...

It gets worse.
That's the scary part....the real 'fun' doesn't begin until Jan 20th

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Mahoning posted:

No kidding.

"People are now saying that the Democratic Party needs to change but I say gently caress it lets double down on the same old message and policies that pay lip service to minorities but have done nothing to improve their actual economic situation in 30+ years!"

I think the trap that Democrats face is that progressivism is considered unpalatable to minorities because of bernie bros or whatever, and so Dems keep ignoring the working class (which is increasingly minority) in favor of saying the words and not actually doing anything to make minorities' lives better in a meaningful way. Which, of course, means that Dems' handle on these voter blocks will keep slipping away while being replaced with nothing else.

e: Though, tbh the Dem platform was a lot better than recent Dem policy in years. The messenger was just not considered trustworthy at all.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Hillary didn't even support full weed legalization, which was a huge, huge misplay. That alone probably could've secured us the Presidency and Senate.

I doubt it. Hillary didn't lose because of anything she didn't support. She lost because an overwhelming number of voters didn't trust her and consequently, didn't vote. Any other Dem without those trust problems would have wrecked Trump.

Hillary was a terrible candidate, but not because of platform (though TPP didn't help).

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

G-III posted:

This frightens me most of all. Seeing this all go down and who's sitting on the seats of power makes me think we're in a modern day "germany in the 30s" scenario and it's time to flee for my life.

I've spent the week oscillating with trying to figure out what to do next vs. feeling as if I may be in mortal danger of remaining in this country.

I know, and what are we on, day four? I can not even imagine how terrifying this is for anybody of color.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mulva posted:

You'd be wrong. That's sort of the point of entrenched racism in politics, minorities are underrepresented in positions of power. That gives you a much smaller pool to draw on in the first place. Consider the sheer number of personal flaws that can sink a candidate, and it's almost impossible to find a good one period. Look at the Republicans this year. They effectively didn't have a single good candidate. The Democrats had Hillary and Bernie. That is to say, the most hated Democrat in modern history and someone who isn't even really a Democrat. Combine the problems with finding a good candidate with the smaller pool of minority politicians, AND the fact they have to fight against racism to be taken seriously?

You basically *do* need a second Obama.

I mean, that's why we need to be seeking out and helping good minority candidates now, not a year out from the election. I think we could still find someone.

Judakel posted:

I don't, but that has nothing to do with winning minority votes.

So, not a bullshitter?

I already said we could do better outreach to Hispanic and Asian voters. Only pulling in 60% of their vote is weaksauce.

I dunno. I think to a certain extent boiling down complex policy to nice speeches and soundbites requires bullshitting by definition. Perhaps you disagree.

Condiv posted:

I already told you you're going to get bernie supporters hackles up because your phrasing is incredibly similar to what Hillary supporters were saying while shutting down any leftist suggestions. As far as I can tell, you'd be behind a bernie run if he was the strongest candidate available just like all us leftist will be behind Keith Ellison cause he's the strongest candidate for DNC chairman. IMO as a berniebro I'm behind a bernie run in 2020 if that's necessary, but hopefully we find someone else soon because even though I like bernie he's really really old.

I think you'll find that a large majority of the dem left will line up against a candidate that will at least give us a bit of leftism regardless if sex, age, or race.

So again I'm confused why you keep up with the "sit down and shut up white dems" line instead of something like "social and economic justice are both necessary".

Because I'm not talking about issues with that one, I'm talking about candidates. White straight male progressives are chomping at the bit to snap up every single leadership position in the party and that is rightfully threatening to minority voters. If we, the white progressives, go out of our way to get them a seat at the table and advance them as leaders of the party, we might earn their trust. But to do that we have to learn, as white straight dudes who have been validated our whole lives in our opinions, to stop and listen to them and their unique perspectives and experience. We have to be ready to back them up too, when people try and poo poo on them for not being legitimate enough as a minority.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

G-III posted:

This frightens me most of all. Seeing this all go down and who's sitting on the seats of power makes me think we're in a modern day "germany in the 30s" scenario and it's time to flee for my life.

I've spent the week oscillating with trying to figure out what to do next vs. feeling as if I may be in mortal danger of remaining in this country.

Trump doesn't even register on the radar compared to the historical Nazis.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

steinrokkan posted:

Banon liked the holocaust.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean it's not like that's the only thing I wrote in that big dumb post, much as the thread seems to have decided otherwise.

Edit: Like, tl;dr: white progressives need to work with minorities and fight for them. We need working class whites. Progressives and conservatives need to compromise but progressives must lead and fight for leadership. Minorities need to run for office and take up the standard.

We need more minority candidates but is that really an engaging platform in and of itself? Is it one that will get people to vote?

I think Americans are a lot more focused on their circumstances at home and their day to day life rather than trying to reject racism with their vote. Now if there were a piece of policy that could serve as some sort of lightning rod than yeah sure, but the most we got in this realm is: better representations in terms of demographics, prison reform, end the drug war. These things the dems have been working on for a while but there is no clear messaging here, nothing to win a media war

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I don't think Trump himself is for any of the policies he's proposed to people. He's in the midst of an ethical nightmare with running a company while at the same time running a country.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kellyanne Conway says that Trump is considering suing Harry Reid for his statement on Trump's election.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-trump-1st-amendment

look who it isnt
Jul 6, 2008
Please do not post smoothkobra ITT

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kellyanne Conway says that Trump is considering suing Harry Reid for his statement on Trump's election.

Very presidential. Yugely so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

sports posted:

I don't think Trump himself is for any of the policies he's proposed to people. He's in the midst of an ethical nightmare with running a company while at the same time running a country.

Lol if you think Trump cares about ethics.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Enkmar posted:

We need more minority candidates but is that really an engaging platform in and of itself? Is it one that will get people to vote?

I think Americans are a lot more focused on their circumstances at home and their day to day life rather than trying to reject racism with their vote. Now if there were a piece of policy that could serve as some sort of lightning rod than yeah sure, but the most we got in this realm is: better representations in terms of demographics, prison reform, end the drug war. These things the dems have been working on for a while but there is no clear messaging here, nothing to win a media war

No, it's not. The point that I had made before that post was that I think we can win running minority candidates on progressive populist platforms akin to Bernie. Focusing in on class doesn't scare the poo poo out of minorities if we bother to run a minority candidate so they see that we care about their issues too. Combine that with actually enacting poo poo that we can once we win and we have a formula for winning more than one or two elections in a row, in my opinion.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Not yet.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

I already said we could do better outreach to Hispanic and Asian voters. Only pulling in 60% of their vote is weaksauce.

I dunno. I think to a certain extent boiling down complex policy to nice speeches and soundbites requires bullshitting by definition. Perhaps you disagree.

Apart from the overall disgust I feel at the notion of figuring out how to best manipulate minorities "for their own good", 60% is pretty drat good.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Trump doesn't but his cabinet who will be running the show sure as poo poo does. Luckily I'm up in the NW where I'm a 3 hours drive away from vancouver, B.C.

You have these people now who will have access to prism data and who want to create a new house committee on "un-american" activities. I'm legit wondering if fleeing the country is something I have to do now just to stay alive.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
You know, I always thought that being outed as an actual anti-semite in america means that you're life is over and you have no more political prospects. Guess anythings loving possible in 2016!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Judakel posted:

Apart from the overall disgust I feel at the notion of figuring out how to best manipulate minorities "for their own good", 60% is pretty drat good.

Um, what? I'm not sure why you think we would be manipulating them. There are actual issues that specifically affect those communities that we could address, from immigration reform to affirmative action, that would help to get them to the table. I am not advocating lying to them, nor for that matter to working class white people. I actually think we should attempt to offer them something to vote for us, and there's plenty of things to offer all oppressed groups if we're willing to fight for it.

Edit: ^ I see you haven't heard of (((globalists))) or how virulently anti-Semitic the alt-right is then.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Judakel posted:

When you're losing ~40% of them to a party that actively and openly wants to poo poo on them from on high, it's not great.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, that's why we need to be seeking out and helping good minority candidates now, not a year out from the election. I think we could still find someone.

Because I'm not talking about issues with that one, I'm talking about candidates. White straight male progressives are chomping at the bit to snap up every single leadership position in the party and that is rightfully threatening to minority voters. If we, the white progressives, go out of our way to get them a seat at the table and advance them as leaders of the party, we might earn their trust. But to do that we have to learn, as white straight dudes who have been validated our whole lives in our opinions, to stop and listen to them and their unique perspectives and experience. We have to be ready to back them up too, when people try and poo poo on them for not being legitimate enough as a minority.

We should definitely get more minority representation in the dem party. I remember hearing about some latinx staffers in Hillary's campaign talking about how they had to speak in Spanish about turnout plans cause otherwise the white staffers and leaders would start getting the vapors and try to stifle them

That being said white candidates should still be an option if they're strong on the issues. We need to be careful of the effect where given two similarly strong candidates we choose whitey (or we choose whitey over the strong candidate :( ) but white candidates should still be in play

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

G-III posted:

You have these people now who will have access to prism data and who want to create a new house committee on "un-american" activities.

Who let Republicans get access to the phantom zone?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Bannon maybe isn't a literal "Nazi" but he is far-right as gently caress. It really isn't a joke.

The rule of law will probably hold but yeah you now have the far-right in the White House.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

When you're losing ~40% of them to a party that actively and openly wants to poo poo on them from on high, it's not great.

There are a lot of Hispanics that aren't in the same boat as Mexicans/Nicaraguans/etc. with regards to how they are treated in this country. You're throwing them all in the same basket and it is a lot more nuanced than that. Ditto for Asians, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lol, like Reid gives a gently caress.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

AHAHAHAH OF COURSE http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/pam-bondi-trump-transition

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

Um, what? I'm not sure why you think we would be manipulating them. There are actual issues that specifically affect those communities that we could address, from immigration reform to affirmative action, that would help to get them to the table. I am not advocating lying to them, nor for that matter to working class white people. I actually think we should attempt to offer them something to vote for us, and there's plenty of things to offer all oppressed groups if we're willing to fight for it.

Edit: ^ I see you haven't heard of (((globalists))) or how virulently anti-Semitic the alt-right is then.

Because you've been talking about doing just that in this very thread? Manipulation does not have to involve lying, but you're still eager to do it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Clip-On Fedora posted:

https://medium.com/soapbox-dc/democrats-are-about-to-plunge-into-a-civil-war-e2ac6f65eb48#.o9809irrm

So, if this thread is any indication, I guess what this article is talking about is already happening.

You should read his twitter. He pretty much is a TNC wannabe (with none of the talent), also much more overtly pro neoliberal.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

We should definitely get more minority representation in the dem party. I remember hearing about some latinx staffers in Hillary's campaign talking about how they had to speak in Spanish about turnout plans cause otherwise the white staffers and leaders would start getting the vapors and try to stifle them

That being said white candidates should still be an option if they're strong on the issues. We need to be careful of the effect where given two similarly strong candidates we choose whitey (or we choose whitey over the strong candidate :( ) but white candidates should still be in play

I would argue that it behooves us to work to make sure there's good minority candidates in every primary. They might not be the best and they might not win but if mysteriously every single time the best candidate is still a white dude we should be disappointed. If a white dude is the best then a white dude is a best, but I'd argue that we should be making sure these things are competitive.

The thing about Hillary completely flailing on Hispanic outreach made my blood boil. I had really thought Hispanic people didn't care enough to vote against Trump. Nope! Turns out we just suck at talking in Spanish.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Judakel posted:

There are a lot of Hispanics that aren't in the same boat as Mexicans/Nicaraguans/etc. with regards to how they are treated in this country. You're throwing them all in the same basket and it is a lot more nuanced than that. Ditto for Asians, too.

Considering that literal white supremacists are part of Trump's transition team, only the whitest of hispanics (read: Ted Cruz) are not being actively targeted by the Republican party.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

the popes toes posted:

What's good for Trump is good for the country.

Is there any more room on the Jill Stein bony boat? I feel like sailing off the edge of the map.

There is not and never has been a reason to support the Green party outside of having someone to protest vote for. They're a pretty useless organization since they have no infrastructure to bring voters to their program, they just kinda show up every four years to do some performance art.

Democratic Socialists of America is pretty ok and their membership is starting to explode in the wake of Tuesday. Plus they coordinate with Democratic candidates a lot to pass leftist reforms and legislation so it's not like you're utterly beholden to them and can't support Democratic candidates. Their leadership varies a lot based on the chapter so you might get an ineffectual liberal grandpa or a young hardworking and organized activist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

G-III posted:

Trump doesn't but his cabinet who will be running the show sure as poo poo does. Luckily I'm up in the NW where I'm a 3 hours drive away from vancouver, B.C.

You have these people now who will have access to prism data and who want to create a new house committee on "un-american" activities. I'm legit wondering if fleeing the country is something I have to do now just to stay alive.

You don't know much about what the Nazis actually thought and did if you think that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Judakel posted:

Because you've been talking about doing just that in this very thread? Manipulation does not have to involve lying, but you're still eager to do it.

How so? When did I argue that we shouldn't deliver on issues that matter to people? Are you mad because I said we need someone who can bullshit still?

What do you think "Yes We Can" and "Hope and Change" were? Bullshit! loving awesome bullshit! The problem wasn't that, that was bullshit, the problem was that he didn't deliver on a concrete platform underlying the bullshit. That's where we failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

I would argue that it behooves us to work to make sure there's good minority candidates in every primary. They might not be the best and they might not win but if mysteriously every single time the best candidate is still a white dude we should be disappointed. If a white dude is the best then a white dude is a best, but I'd argue that we should be making sure these things are competitive.

The thing about Hillary completely flailing on Hispanic outreach made my blood boil. I had really thought Hispanic people didn't care enough to vote against Trump. Nope! Turns out we just suck at talking in Spanish.

Well its because just like union members of all races, minorities are there for neoliberals to get votes from, fallowed by them not doing poo poo for you.

• Locked thread