Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

clam the gently caress down posted:

So I applied to work for the Trump administration. I'm wondering if I receive an appointment would it be a good idea to take it? I plan to apply to graduate schools, but would this totally gently caress my resume to have Trump Administration on my resume?
Worst case scenario, you would just need to explain that you were only following orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you want good breadcrumbs, searching Stormfront for Bannon and Breitbart references is a good idea. Just from there, it looks like verifying those references is a good next step.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Grouchio posted:

Is Trump interested/in favor of high speed rails?

As a fun engineering project he probably is, but whatever his follow-through on it would be would most likely involve lots of tax cuts and relaxation of eminent domain laws.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
My dad is barely making it by on Medicare as it is, if they gently caress that up for older people I'm not sure what will happen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zxqv8 posted:

I think that, ideally, a fully-fleged not half-aborted passenger rail system like we have now would be supported by other methods of mass transportation. Like buses, or light rail/trams.

But maybe I've just spent too much time playing SimCity and the like. Life isn't Will Wright's libertarian fantasy and the political will to allow poor people to easily move around the country via mass transit just doesn't seem to be there.

sim city is a fun game but is kind of softly despised in planning circles for being extraordinarily unrealistic and causing people to greatly underestimate just how difficult urban planning is in practice america. sim city never vetoes your decision to build a rail because local residents hate the noise, for example, and voted for a new mayor who cancels your neat transit plans

fortunately, lots of cities across america voted on election day to expand mass transit. los angeles, seattle, san fran, atlanta, and there are others i'm forgetting. but this deals with commuter sheds in metropolitan areas, which are not at all the youngstowns and flints and eau claires and dozens of other regional small cities where trump carried voters. mass transit is largely dealt with on a local scale in america, and the federal government is almost entirely powerless from a legislative perspective

further, high speed rail is great for moving people between vibrant metros hundreds of miles apart but has little/no impact on commuter patterns, and there's not going to be a lot of high speed rail stations stopping every 20 miles to pick up commuters because this completely removes the "high speed" from high speed rail. it's about as realistic as expecting people to commute by helicopter

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

boner confessor posted:

there's way too many small towns in america for rail to be a viable option. any place where you can commute in less than an hour by train is already adequately served by car. on the other hand, there's plenty of places that are outside of reasonable commuting distance from a viable metro - much of eastern kentucky, southeast ohio, huge chunks of the midwest prarie states - places where rural poverty is already an endemic problem. short of teleportation these places are going to continue to decay

That's why it would be high speed rail. The fastest commuter train is 361 mph. Illinois is 200 miles wide at its widest point and 374 Miles long at its longest.

Kentucky is 384 Miles long at it's widest point.

Ohio is 224 Miles Across at it's widest point.

High Speed rail would change the entire country. Not even super highspeed just rail that's 250 +.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/gossipgriII/status/797931201717673985

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

succ posted:

My dad is barely making it by on Medicare as it is, if they gently caress that up for older people I'm not sure what will happen.

To be honest, I think the plan is to gently caress it up for young people because they know old people are a giant and vindictive voting bloc. We will see if it happens because the Dems just need to send out the message "they are trying to kill Medicare" to rile the population up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Glazier posted:

Depressingly I must agree, I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't survive the next four years. I just hope they make it quick so we don't suffer.

Nah, it's over for minorities in America. If I had the courage I would just kill myself now, but I'm a wuss.

If you're serious seek therapy. Like, tomorrow. I have resources that you can use if you need them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OH MY GOD WHO THE gently caress STILL USES CLUB PENGUIN?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Can the autists take the train chat somewhere else, some of us are trying to plan out what to do in our last few years, thanks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

That's why it would be high speed rail. The fastest commuter train is 361 mph. Illinois is 200 miles wide at its widest point and 374 Miles long at its longest.

Kentucky is 384 Miles long at it's widest point.

Ohio is 224 Miles Across at it's widest point.

High Speed rail would change the entire country. Not even super highspeed just rail that's 250 +.

who are these people who are so important that they need to commute hundreds of miles in less than an hour every day? if we were gonna do that it would be more efficient to just subsidize light aircraft and expect people to commute by cessna. shipping people around on a daily basis on 200mph trains is an utter fantasy, full stop

commuter trains stop frequently to pick up people. that means they do not travel very fast, because they need to speed up and slow down often. high speed rail is used in the same way jet airliners are used, when you need to travel long distances for a specific purpose, like vacations, family visits, etc. not daily use.

e: i mean this as politely as i possibly can but you really haven't thought about this much and you're kind of just tossing around buzzwords

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 14, 2016

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I've been completely terrified and shaky and nauseous for a week, I can't tell when people are being serious or not anymore, are people in this thread just joking or are we actually going to die from this? We have no choice in the process?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Grouchio posted:

OH MY GOD WHO THE gently caress STILL USES CLUB PENGUIN?

C-Spam, where i find a lot of these tweets.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

IS NOTHING SACRED?!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

yellowyams posted:

I've been completely terrified and shaky and nauseous for a week, I can't tell when people are being serious or not anymore, are people in this thread just joking or are we actually going to die from this? We have no choice in the process?

you're probably not going to die, but buckle up for a rough couple of years

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

boner confessor posted:

sim city is a fun game but is kind of softly despised in planning circles for being extraordinarily unrealistic and causing people to greatly underestimate just how difficult urban planning is in practice america. sim city never vetoes your decision to build a rail because local residents hate the noise, for example, and voted for a new mayor who cancels your neat transit plans

fortunately, lots of cities across america voted on election day to expand mass transit. los angeles, seattle, san fran, atlanta, and there are others i'm forgetting. but this deals with commuter sheds in metropolitan areas, which are not at all the youngstowns and flints and eau claires and dozens of other regional small cities where trump carried voters. mass transit is largely dealt with on a local scale in america, and the federal government is almost entirely powerless from a legislative perspective

further, high speed rail is great for moving people between vibrant metros hundreds of miles apart but has little/no impact on commuter patterns, and there's not going to be a lot of high speed rail stations stopping every 20 miles to pick up commuters because this completely removes the "high speed" from high speed rail. it's about as realistic as expecting people to commute by helicopter

I didn't realize SimCity even actually reached into the zeitgeist of urban planning, though it's not really surprising given how popular and mainstream gaming has become since SimCity.

Understanding that Will Wright was something of a starry eyed libertarian type really changed a lot of how I viewed the game, and urban planning in general.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Glazier posted:

Can the autists take the train chat somewhere else, some of us are trying to plan out what to do in our last few years, thanks.

Ok good you're not actually serious because I was just about to waste time sending you a PM with resources to help you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

boner confessor posted:

who are these people who are so important that they need to commute hundreds of miles in less than an hour every day? if we were gonna do that it would be more efficient to just subsidize light aircraft and expect people to commute by cessna. shipping people around on a daily basis on 200mph trains is an utter fantasy, full stop

commuter trains stop frequently to pick up people. that means they do not travel very fast, because they need to speed up and slow down often. high speed rail is used in the same way jet airliners are used, when you need to travel long distances for a specific purpose, like vacations, family visits, etc. not daily use.

I dunno I live in Chicago and I take the Metra and it takes like literally 2 minutes to get the gently caress off the train and it to start going again. I just don't see how high speed rail wouldn't improve the country.

This is one of the big projects I think Obama was pushing for but got killed by the Republicans. I think it's possible we could see it come back at Trump so he could name it the Trump Train.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

yellowyams posted:

I'm serious, I have no faith that LGBT people won't end up stripped of rights and targeted for extrajudicial killings. I plan on getting a CCW so I can hopefully take some of them out with me but I'm not making plans out longer than four years.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok good you're not actually serious because I was just about to waste time sending you a PM with resources to help you.

Well it is after all a comedy forum so got to keep it light, even if it is gallows humor.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 14, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/absurdistwords/status/797984611628421120
The executive has no rules against conflicts of interest :smithicide:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

I dunno I live in Chicago and I take the Metra and it takes like literally 2 minutes to get the gently caress off the train and it to start going again. I just don't see how high speed rail wouldn't improve the country.

This is one of the big projects I think Obama was pushing for but got killed by the Republicans. I think it's possible we could see it come back at Trump so he could name it the Trump Train.

the metra is not high speed rail, it is commuter rail. they have completely different uses. it's like saying a sports car is an effective vehicle to man a bus line because it goes fast

the only place in america where high speed commuter rail is viable is the northeast corridor, and amtrak already services that market pretty well. it could definitely be augmented but there's no realistic scenario in which building high speed rail across america will improve people's access to jobs

zxqv8 posted:

I didn't realize SimCity even actually reached into the zeitgeist of urban planning, though it's not really surprising given how popular and mainstream gaming has become since SimCity.

Understanding that Will Wright was something of a starry eyed libertarian type really changed a lot of how I viewed the game, and urban planning in general.

pretty much every urban planner under 35 has an opinion on sim city and it's a very popular series but it is so, so, so unrealistic, which is only a bad thing because it's the average person's only real exposure to urban planning, land use development, infrastructure planning etc.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 14, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hollismason posted:

Rural towns and neighborhoods would be benefitted by high speed rail and fiber internet services . You'd probably have more start ups and people moving to smaller towns if you could get on a train and get to the city in 30 minutes.

Not having high speed rail and ease of mobility only by car loving destroys towns.

I'd move to bumfuck nowhere and live in a heart beat if I could catch a train to the city in 30 minutes.

this is kinda how it is in the place i live now. it's a suburb of paris, but very small and it's got a university. bus service and rail into paris really help a lot. even tiny towns in france seem to have bus service and rail to hubs near them

edit: to be clear, the university is between two small towns. i could walk from mine to the other town in about 45 minutes

Condiv fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 14, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/absurdistwords/status/797984611628421120
The executive has no rules against conflicts of interest :smithicide:

His supporters are the dumbest fucks.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

boner confessor posted:

the metra is not high speed rail, it is commuter rail. they have completely different uses. it's like saying a sports car is an effective vehicle to man a bus line because it goes fast

pretty much every urban planner under 35 has an opinion on sim city and it's a very popular series but it is so, so, so unrealistic, which is only a bad thing because it's the average person's only real exposure to urban planning, land use development, infrastructure planning etc.
Any good resources on correctly learning about these things - well enough to become infrastructure savvy?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

Any good resources on correctly learning about these things - well enough to become infrastructure savvy?

i dunno, google around? i'm sure there's some urban planning 101 stuff out there. i've always suggessted crabgrass frontier by ken jackson as an introductory text to the history of american suburbs and how they work

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently Steve Bannon gets paid Seinfeld royalties?:wtf:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/10/steve-bannon-seinfeld

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Covok posted:

His supporters are the dumbest fucks.

No but you see truly it is the other side to blame and we must eat each other to live in harmony and annex czechslovakia.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I think people are sorta hoping for a Japanese style passenger rail system which mixes commuter and high speed to get people around the nation on the cheap.

This doesn't work for a lot of reasons, most notably the size of the US vs Japan, but I agree with the poster who said rail is treated in a maximal way. It's loving absurd that I can't hop on a train to go to Columbus, OH from Chicago. There's literally no extant option, despite Columbus being a notable population center.

Seems to be a few of my fellow autists in the crowd here, would any of you know of any good resources to read/view about the death of US passenger rail? I know some of the rudiments of why, but I'm positive my understanding is waaaay too limited on the subject.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zxqv8 posted:

I think people are sorta hoping for a Japanese style passenger rail system which mixes commuter and high speed to get people around the nation on the cheap.

This doesn't work for a lot of reasons, most notably the size of the US vs Japan, but I agree with the poster who said rail is treated in a maximal way. It's loving absurd that I can't hop on a train to go to Columbus, OH from Chicago. There's literally no extant option, despite Columbus being a notable population center.

Seems to be a few of my fellow autists in the crowd here, would any of you know of any good resources to read/view about the death of US passenger rail? I know some of the rudiments of why, but I'm positive my understanding is waaaay too limited on the subject.

i dunno, but i just wanna note that i wanted to take amtrak to the next state over and back and they wanted $500 for the cheapest tickets

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Trump spends the majority of his effort as President just trying to boost his brand by using government resources and skimming from the top of whatever resources he can Ill take it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently Steve Bannon gets paid Seinfeld royalties?:wtf:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/10/steve-bannon-seinfeld
This is something I find hilarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

boner confessor posted:

the only place in america where high speed commuter rail is viable is the northeast corridor, and amtrak already services that market pretty well. it could definitely be augmented but there's no realistic scenario in which building high speed rail across america will improve people's access to jobs

I wasn't saying it was a high speed rail I was saying that having a lot of stops would not hinder it that much.
High Speed Rail could also be used for shipping etc.. It's just a useful infrastructure. If each state had it's own independent rail system that consisted of high speed rail and smaller transit trains the entire country would be better off.

It increases the mobility of the working class.

Like if I wanted to if I didn't have a affordable apartment like I do now I could use the Metra to go to some place that does have affordable rent and still visit Chicago pretty easily.

I know friends who rent a house for a absurdly low rate and if they have to stay the night in Chicago they'll just do a AirBnB.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 14, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zxqv8 posted:

sure, but the federal government is literally forbidden from exercising this kind of control over american travel patterns on a micro scale, and on a macro scale we basically handle this via airlines because it would cost huge wads of money to build dedicated new high speed rail right of way across america. typically the DOT helps out with local transit through block grants and these are certainly one of the things to be cut in trump's next budget

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Like it sucks so loving bad that this died

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/263782-obama-high-speed-rail-stuck-in-station

quote:

A little over a year later, Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) rejected $2.4 billion in federal dollars for the project, citing concerns about the cost of operating the trains once the federal money for construction ran out.

Lol, Rick "gently caress your 2 billion Dollars" Scott

Condiv posted:

i dunno, but i just wanna note that i wanted to take amtrak to the next state over and back and they wanted $500 for the cheapest tickets

Yeah because Amtrak is only functional on the east coast and every where else its total poo poo.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

I still loving hate Scott Walker for (among many many other things) turning down money for light rail as part of the stimulus package and now he's gonna take Trump money for the same ugghh I hate him so loving much

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grouchio posted:

This is something I find hilarious.

hidden gem:

quote:

Bannon, the chairman of Breitbart—who is on temporary leave and got his start as a Goldman Sachs mergers-and-acquisition dealmaker

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We're ranked 19 out of 20 in high speed rail.

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/03/29/us-is-19-out-of-20-in-new-high-speed-rail-ranking/

quote:

By rights, the US shouldn’t have been in the survey at all. High-speed rail is defined as being capable of speeds of 150 mph or more. Only a tiny portion of the Northeast rail corridor between Boston and Washington, DC, is capable of such speeds. People in China can travel from Beijing to Shanghai — a distance of 819 miles — in 5 hours. Taking Amtrak roughly the same distance along the East Coast of the U.S. from New York to Charleston, S.C., takes more than 13 hours. That is assuming the train is on time, which it seldom is.

China, Japan, and other countries are heavily investing in high speed rails. Why are we not? Because gently caress you Thats Why.

Airline companies lobby against high speed rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
HSR is not profitable in China and everyone knows it. The government does it because infrastructure doesn't exist to turn a profit. Otherwise interstates would've never been built and overbuilt like they are today.

• Locked thread