Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Athaboros posted:

Planning on getting the Black Friday N3DS to upgrade from my old XL. I have been reading about some controversies surrounding the N3DSXL having varying screens between models, with some being IPS and some TN, seemingly at random. Does the smaller version also have the same issue? Don't like the idea of buying and returning a bunch, as some folks seem to have done.

No, all smaller screens are the TN (worse) ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Athaboros posted:

Planning on getting the Black Friday N3DS to upgrade from my old XL. I have been reading about some controversies surrounding the N3DSXL having varying screens between models, with some being IPS and some TN, seemingly at random. Does the smaller version also have the same issue? Don't like the idea of buying and returning a bunch, as some folks seem to have done.

Here's an idea. Get the system and game on.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Cake Attack posted:

nobody sane cares what screen they get

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's an incredibly minor difference you'll only notice if you play with the top screen at a certain angle. Don't worry about it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Athaboros posted:

You're not going to notice

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LODGE NORTH posted:

No, all smaller screens are the TN (worse) ones.

I think the newer ones also have IPS.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cake Attack posted:

nobody sane cares what screen they get
Someone make this the thread title please

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Thanks for answering, those who did. Was just curious, not actually going to return a thousand systems like I hear about folks doing. The difference is noticeable, but I know that it doesn't ruin anything, since I've been fine with the TN panels on my XL for ages. I was just wondering which ones the small one had, since all the threads about it on other sites only refer to the new XLs.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The smaller 3DS is much nicer with faceplates and all but the XL is just more comfortable to hold overall. Also tbh the Galaxy N3DS is super awesome looking.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I find the XL really uncomfortable to play for 30+ minutes. How comfortable is using the dpad on the smaller New 3DS?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I went ahead and bought the amazon exclusive New 3DS XL even though there's gonna be a half-off New 3DS just because I prefer the larger form factor (and also because I didn't want to wait a week to play Pokemon)

Also the Lime Green looks pretty nice tbh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't understand how the regular sized 3DS could be more comfortable to hold than the XL unless you have Trump-sized hands.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SeANMcBAY posted:

I find the XL really uncomfortable to play for 30+ minutes. How comfortable is using the dpad on the smaller New 3DS?

Probably worse, tbh. If not the same. There's less 3DS to wrap your hand/fingers around down there. The dpad on both kinda sucks.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

El Burbo posted:

I went ahead and bought the amazon exclusive New 3DS XL even though there's gonna be a half-off New 3DS just because I prefer the larger form factor (and also because I didn't want to wait a week to play Pokemon)

Also the Lime Green looks pretty nice tbh

Same. Spotted a "dinged box" from their warehouse deals for a nice discount, couldn't resist. Last 3ds I had was the original, and this one is so much better to hold; lime green is sexy af.

Need some Nintendo friends, now. If anyone wants to add me, 2552-5449-0524 (mostly Animal Crossing and Hyrule Warriors atm).

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can you guys recommend a USB charging cable for a 3DS?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

IAmKale posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZedLabz-br...s=usb+3ds+cable

Their styluses are also very good. Looks like you can get them on amazon.com too.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZedLabz-br...s=usb+3ds+cable

Their styluses are also very good. Looks like you can get them on amazon.com too.

^ I'll second the Stylus recommendation at least. My original one that came with my n3DS broke almost instantly, because the little bendy bit that holds it in the slot shattered instantly from normal use. But my ZedLabs one is holding up without a single sign on plastic stress after a few months.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

IAmKale posted:

if you are in the US, I have this one and it works great

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Ball Fusions is confirmed to be releasing early but the new date is November 22, not November 16: https://twitter.com/bandainamcous/status/798290538038378496

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

IPS vs TN is definitely the kind of thing you will notice when you are tilting the screen every which way and holding two units side by side and trying to figure out which is worse. You will also immediately stop noticing it once you stop insane inspections, and you will never think about it again.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's an incredibly minor difference you'll only notice if you play with the top screen at a certain angle. Don't worry about it.

that's a lie, TN is washed out without the screen at any weird angles and it washes out even more if you do tilt it. that said, I went from an IPS N3DSXL to a TN regular N3DS and don't give a poo poo about the crappier screen.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I think my amazon 3ds is ips. I can't tell so I guess I'm finally a normal person

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
but do you prefer shorts or pants

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

Looper posted:

but do you prefer shorts or pants

skirts are superior

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
the utilikilt is the only garment with pockets big enough to hold the Nintendo New 3DS XL system

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No pants are the best pants

3 days until SuMo.
Hype
:neckbeard:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Unless you're in Europe, for some reason...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sucks to be youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Wait, what? I won't even be able to download it on the 18th? I just thought the local stores are being stupid again.

:negative:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

23rd is a weird date, games usually come out here on a Friday.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Infinitum posted:

3 days until SuMo.
Hype

Once again, a game I'll download with the lid closed while I'm at work so I can play it the second I get home :v:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

deadly_pudding posted:

Once again, a game I'll download with the lid closed while I'm at work so I can play it the second I get home :v:

Isn't that a great feature? I bought DQ7 online at work and when I got home it was all installed and ready to play.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Moon is already preloaded on my 3DS. Just gotta wait for the timer to run down

3 days to go :neckbeard:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The review embargo is lifting for Sun and Moon if you're completely avoiding anything about the game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I am trying to as much as possible.
Like I checked out the full new Pokemoon list and that's it.

Please keep all pokespoilers to the pokethread.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
There is no difference between the two kind of screens. If you think there is, you don't know how to just have fun and alike calm down.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinitum posted:

3 days until SuMo.
Hype

Really? I saw the Sun and Moon 3DSes at Target

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Party Meiser posted:

There is no difference between the two kind of screens. If you think there is, you don't know how to just have fun and alike calm down.

I agree about calling down but this is just stupid.

There's a reason there are no professional TN panel displays. It just doesn't matter that much on a low resolution handheld display.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Kingdom Hearts re:coded is good and fun and cheap so everyone who doesn't straight up hate KH games should play it.
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 spoils it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Really? I saw the Sun and Moon 3DSes at Target

I think those don't actually come with the game lol