Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
They'll see it when you look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

They'll see it when you look at it.

OH NO

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
If I, say,

- found an Apple Watch (1st gen, os 2.2) loose in the grass in a park on a sunny evening, no one near it
- went around to some beat cops who said to keep it cause no one ever claims anything
- messaged a few phone numbers I found on it, but everything was in Arabic and got no responses, and anyway the time is set to Riyadh so the tourist probably went home and bought a house made of Apple Watches to fill with his blood diamond encrusted lamborghini collection
- lodged it with the cops for more than a month and had it returned to me when no one came forward to claim it

Would that Apple Watch be usable to anyone? Is it possible to factory reset a watch with no passcode and no phone? I have seen that done with OS 1.0 on a 1st gen when it first came out, in a scare story about how stealable they are, but is that still possible?

I don't want to sell something with somebody's info on it, in Arabic or not, and I was playing with the idea of a phone upgrade so I could give it a go myself (unlikely).

I realize this sounds like a lengthy way of feeling out what to do with a stolen Apple Watch but this did actually happen to me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It sounds like you did the best you could to get it to its owner. Depending on the settings it may require entering the original owner's Apple ID credentials when attempting to wipe/reinstall the OS. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Jose Oquendo posted:

It sounds like you did the best you could to get it to its owner. Depending on the settings it may require entering the original owner's Apple ID credentials when attempting to wipe/reinstall the OS. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Does it need to be on a charger or anything for a reinstall? Not sure how far to take this considering they're like thirty bux.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

connorrr posted:

Does it need to be on a charger or anything for a reinstall? Not sure how far to take this considering they're like thirty bux.

Yes. Just go to Best Buy or whatever and get a charger. If it doesn't work, return it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

connorrr posted:

I think the latest watchOS actually requires it to be charging to update. They skip right over the "maaaaybe you should consider putting it on the charger for this" part because the poo poo takes like a half hour with the screen on the entire time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Endless Mike posted:

That doesn't matter since you shouldn't be wearing an Apple Watch to anything remotely formal.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

He wasn't wrong, do you never leave the basement?

Are you guys serious right now?

The stainless steel apple watches are totally fine to wear to formal events as long as you pair with a nice band, what is wrong with you people?

Maybe it's because I work and live in Silicon Valley but it's 100% totally fine in any formal event that I've ever been to.

I'm trying to imagine an event that's too formal to wear the space black stainless with link bracelet, completely drawing a blank here.

Please describe a formal event in which such a watch would be regarded as "basement dweller" behavior because I am really fuckin' curious.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Taima posted:

The stainless steel apple watches are totally fine to wear to formal events as long as you pair with a nice band, what is wrong with you people?

Maybe it's because I work and live in Silicon Valley but it's 100% totally fine in any formal event that I've ever been to.

I'm trying to imagine an event that's too formal to wear the space black stainless with link bracelet, completely drawing a blank here.

Please describe a formal event in which such a watch would be regarded as "basement dweller" behavior because I am really fuckin' curious.

Basically anywhere not part of the ridiculous tech bubble of man children scraping and clawing in vain for a semblance of style or decorum. Anywhere not exclusively populated by cargo cult humanity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

There you go.

Black is not at all common for dress watches, for that matter. Link bracelets are not particularly dressy, either, being usually worn on sport watches.

And frankly, if you're wearing anything more than semi-formal, you shouldn't be wearing a watch at all.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 14, 2016

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

There you go.

Black is not at all common for dress watches, for that matter. Link bracelets are not particularly dressy, either, being usually worn on sport watches.

And frankly, if you're wearing anything more than semi-formal, you shouldn't be wearing a watch at all.

I agree with your last comment.

What's a dressier alternative to a link bracelet?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Here we are talking about watch etiquette when attending formal events yet people have their phones on them regardless which are way more distracting and rude to pay attention to/use than any sort of watch.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Basically anywhere not part of the ridiculous tech bubble of man children scraping and clawing in vain for a semblance of style or decorum. Anywhere not exclusively populated by cargo cult humanity.

Hah is this really the perception people have?

We have the best of everything. The quality of life here is absurd. The next time I have a party at my beach house I'll hand out flyers about how we are actually "man children scraping and clawing in vain" lol

Whatever makes you feel better :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

We have the best of everything. The quality of life here is absurd. The next time I have a party at my beach house I'll hand out flyers about how we are actually "man children scraping and clawing in vain" lol

No, Tim Whately just shits on everything he can't have/afford

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No, Tim Whately just shits on everything he can't have/afford

Agreed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LPG Giant posted:

I agree with your last comment.

What's a dressier alternative to a link bracelet?
Leather.

Taima posted:

I'm sure your fellow white males will agree with you too!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Taima posted:

-a guy unaware he's in the middle of another bubble

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Whatever makes you guys feel better. If we could get back to the thread topic that would be good.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Taima posted:

Whatever makes you guys feel better. If we could get back to the thread topic that would be good.

Could you not tell us how to go about our day? White privilege and excess may work in the near time for you in your day to day affairs, but you can't control others here.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Taima's response was reaaaaaallllly loving lame (lol @ beach house but lmao @ printing flyers) but a stainless steel apple watch is totally fine to wear at any formal gathering, imo. It's a nice looking watch.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Seriously though I probably shouldn't have said that, true. It's really lame to boast about one's situation. I just thought it was funny that he was categorizing SV as a bunch of man children and felt compelled to respond.

Ultimately my fault, carry on.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Taima posted:

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Seriously though I probably shouldn't have said that, true. It's really lame to boast about one's situation. I just thought it was funny that he was categorizing SV as a bunch of man children and felt compelled to respond.

Ultimately my fault, carry on.

Oh NO! He's being mean to me and my over indulged, spoiled, coddled and placated brethren! I am so mad!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is surely a great conversation to have in a gadget thread. Please (don't) continue.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

I like the activity rings a lot. What does your fitness watch do that the AW can't?

smackfu posted:

Can the Apple Watch do interval timing, and tell you when you are off pace?
smackfu was pretty spot-on with his reply here: Interval training, more specific kinds of tracking, more "real" workouts. The Apple Watch seems fine for a general all-day fitness tracker, but it's not really cut out for the data junkies. Between Garmin Connect and Strava, I can't imagine using anything other than my Forerunner for a run. That said, I wanted an Apple Watch because, while my Forerunner did the base level of daytime tracking stuff with a tiny bit of other things (imagine a Fitbit that shows you your texts), I wanted more.

With all that in mind, I'm really digging the Apple Watch so far! It's a fun little gadget, and for what it's worth, it's surprisingly handsome as far as fun little gadgets are concerned. I appreciate all the app recommendations. Or non-recommendations. The base feature set is pretty rad, and third party stuff seems a little more lackluster. It makes me appreciate how well made this little thing is and just what Apple was envisioning for it. I love that my phone can be perpetually silenced.

I do wish it could give me more hardcore metrics, though. For such a powerful computer on my wrist, it's a little bit of a bummer that its idea of "fitness" is geared mostly around getting desk jockeys out of the chair for a few minutes. That's definitely a good thing for most people, but I'm craving a little bit more out of it than that. (I'm still putting on my Forerunner when I go for a run, obviously.)

Nitpicking aside, it's a lovely little gadget and I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man my watch pissed me off royally yesterday. Whatever I was wearing had to have been triggering the watch left and right. I'm walking down the street and my volume is just all over the place. It's sending random texts to my dad. I pull my sleeve up and it's on a random app every time. The last time it put itself into swim mode.

I ended up locking it but that was annoying since I actually do use it to do things like control my phone's music, etc, so I had to unlock it before I could do anything else.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The stock workout app does have have interval tracking functionality. I don't know if it's enough for "data junkies," but it's accessed by double-tapping the screen while in a workout.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So suddenly my watch's battery has gone to poo poo. Eight hours and under 50%? Previously I could go over 24 hours and be over 50%.

What the gently caress is eating my battery

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

So suddenly my watch's battery has gone to poo poo. Eight hours and under 50%? Previously I could go over 24 hours and be over 50%.

What the gently caress is eating my battery

Reboot watch?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I just saw the Pride watch band in person and it's cool as hell. I wish it was available for sale.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have one but it got sweaty because I've never had a nylon one and worked out in it and now the colors aren't as bright and cool looking so I never wear it. Wondering how to wash it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

https://www.clockworksynergy.com/shop/tech-straps/straps-for-apple-watch/2-piece-classic-nato/pride-rainbow-nato-apple/?ref=3

It's not the official Apple but close enough.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
i'm hella gay so i really want a pride band

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nah those are pale imitations, the Apple bands are understated and classy af.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Reboot watch?
Yeah this seems to have fixed it. Weird though.

Glazier posted:

Nah those are pale imitations, the Apple bands are understated and classy af.
Seems like the Apple ones have the colors fade into each other instead of clear separations for each color

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My used S1 from Swappa arrived today and I'm pretty impressed.

This watch is very neat.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Biodome posted:

I have one but it got sweaty because I've never had a nylon one and worked out in it and now the colors aren't as bright and cool looking so I never wear it. Wondering how to wash it.

Oh wow you got one? I am close with some guys who work on the watch and they were all pretty pissed that they didn't get one. No one that I know was able to get one through back-channel politics either, which is uncommon as I'm sure you're aware.

Good on you bud. I'm jealous. I heard you can find some on ebay, for anyone who really wants it.

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 17, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Looks like the usual cheap two piece nato straps. Main annoyance with those is how the strap is folded over at the ends (to sew the rings in) but not the full length of the strap so the thickness isn't uniform, and the finish at the edges are a bit rough cause they're just burned/melted into place.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Did you try them on? Beyond price, I found the stainless steel one to be heavier on my wrist, which I didn't like. And if you're main thing is fitness, that can be a factor.

yeah I didn't notice a difference but I was trying the 38mm for my tiny baby wrists which might be the reason?

stainless steel looks way better but I'm a cheapo so I might go with the aluminum in case I have the urge to upgrade next cycle. I've been debating getting a series 1 since I won't get any use out of the waterproofing and little to no use out of the GPS but will it significantly hurt resale value?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I too am a cheapo and will be buying two OG AW(38mm, and 42mm) for my GF and myself for xmas. Does the original last all day with Watch OS 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

decypher posted:

I too am a cheapo and will be buying two OG AW(38mm, and 42mm) for my GF and myself for xmas. Does the original last all day with Watch OS 3?
:yeah:

• Locked thread