Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Doc Morbid posted:

I think the giant robo-skeleman is supposed to fit inside the Reaper shell and fly the thing, or something to that effect. I'm not sure if that is ever mentioned in the game or if it's just fanwank.

e:fb

"This is what Mass Effect fans actually believe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SubponticatePoster posted:

They make the "core" of the ship look like whatever race they've slurpeed and then build the cuttlefish around it.

...yeah

At the end of ME2 EDI speculates that reaper-larvae may start out looking more like their host organism, but over time mature into the cuttlefish structure that all Reapers have.

Once again, if you find yourself plagued with logical questions, just remember video games.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A huge missed opportunity was not getting to have a conversation battle with Harbinger. They tease him in ME2 as he takes control of the bugfolk, but then he's basically just silent in ME3 and dies offscreen or something I dunno

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zzulu posted:

A huge missed opportunity was not getting to have a conversation battle with Harbinger. They tease him in ME2 as he takes control of the bugfolk, but then he's basically just silent in ME3 and dies offscreen or something I dunno

The conversation with Sovereign in ME1 was a high point as it was filled with a lot of promise of what was to come. Harbinger talking poo poo in ME2 upped the ante. Then yeah, what happened? I guess he defriended Shep after he destroyed the Alpha Relay?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Mac Walters and his always on baldness hiding cap happened

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ME1 was the best and uh Andromeda might be really bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You'll all be praying for the tight, coherently written narrative of Mass Effect 3 once Andromeda is finally unleashed o'er the world.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
ME3's main plotline was garbage relying on a literal deus ex machina and Kai Leng was a hilarious misstep but the Geth/Quarian and the Krogan/Genophage/Mordin stories were both handled pretty well.

ME2's biggest problem was introducing the illusive man who was really dumb

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

wyoak posted:

Kai Leng was a hilarious misstep

Boy, was he ever.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cerberus was bad in ME2 in general

Also they should actually shoot the idiot who wrote the whole "shep dies but we can rebuild him, we have the technology"

God that is poo poo that exists only in dime store trash sci fi novels

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

exquisite tea posted:

You'll all be praying for the tight, coherently written narrative of Mass Effect 3 once Andromeda is finally unleashed o'er the world.

Given that multiplayer is a known quantity now, I'll probably just retreat into that and forget single player period.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Levantine posted:

Given that multiplayer is a known quantity now, I'll probably just retreat into that and forget single player period.

Still need to see the results of the multiplayer beta through so don't start pre-ordering yet.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Phi230 posted:

ME1 was the best and uh Andromeda might be really bad

This is the right opinion.

But a Volus party member might make Andromeda good, you listening Bioware?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I am cautiously excited about Andromeda, but I am also concerned because, based on what's been released so far (or what I've seen of it, anyhow), the story they want to tell is going to be incredibly difficult for Bioware's writers to pull off effectively. They have shown no real aptitude for handling nuance well, and a story where the Milky Way folks are explicitly the aliens is going to need to walk a fine line to keep them from not also explicitly being the bad guys.

Alternatively, the writers could aim for a story where it's tacitly accepted that we're the bad guys, but we're doing what needs to be done to survive. But again, my faith in Bioware's writers being able to pull this off is pretty low, because by and large, their idea of bad guys is of the mustache-twirling variety, which won't work well here.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I really liked Cerberus better in ME1, where they were these cartoonishly evil morons who would constantly get their own people killed in stupid experiments and couldn't be trusted to run a lemonade stand (they'd probably mix in some thresher maw acid to see what happens), let alone something like Project Lazarus.

Of course, the facility at the start of ME2 is also on fire and everybody's getting killed horribly, so that sounds about right for a Cerberus operation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zore posted:

uh, who else were you going to send besides Tali/Legion?

You first met Thane and he came out of a vent! Perfect guy! :shepface:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Skippy McPants posted:

Boy, was he ever.

Now I'm just imagining Kai Leng narrating his entire life in the edgiest of edgelord voices.
"That's why he closed the door, dropped his pants, and took a gigantic dump. This was his bathroom now, meaning a place where every poo poo that happened in it would be known to him, and to Cerberus. The thought pleased him and Leng was still smiling as he flushed."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's really too bad bioware took their prized self crafted and fully owned IP/setting and flushed it down the toilet lmao.

I love how they spent years crafting this really interesting universe and then just loving nuked it in 3

even ignoring the ending, the reaper war totally trashes the mass effect universe.

Imagine if the Dominion war in DS9 had completely wrecked every civilization and basically ended star trek lol

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
All we can hope is that the lead bad monster has a blonde combover and a legion of proletariat rock men chanting "SEND THEM BACK"

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Skippy McPants posted:

Boy, was he ever.

:golf:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

All we can hope is that the lead bad monster has a blonde combover and a legion of proletariat rock men chanting "SEND THEM BACK"

Andromeda is going to build a wall around its system, and the Milky Way is going to pay for it!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Phi230 posted:

Also they should actually shoot the idiot who wrote the whole "shep dies but we can rebuild him, we have the technology"

God that is poo poo that exists only in dime store trash sci fi novels
ME was at its best when it was at its pulpiest so I didn't mind the rebuilding thing, plus it made Shep straddle an organic/synthetic line which was sorta important to the story anyway. I was alright with Martin Sheen hamming it up in ME2, but his name actually being "The Illusive Man" and everyone referring to him as such was a bit much (and he was overused to boot).

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Kurieg posted:

Now I'm just imagining Kai Leng narrating his entire life in the edgiest of edgelord voices.
"That's why he closed the door, dropped his pants, and took a gigantic dump. This was his bathroom now, meaning a place where every poo poo that happened in it would be known to him, and to Cerberus. The thought pleased him and Leng was still smiling as he flushed."

And that dump's name was Mass Effect 3

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

wyoak posted:

ME was at its best when it was at its pulpiest so I didn't mind the rebuilding thing, plus it made Shep straddle an organic/synthetic line which was sorta important to the story anyway. I was alright with Martin Sheen hamming it up in ME2, but his name actually being "The Illusive Man" and everyone referring to him as such was a bit much (and he was overused to boot).

Agreed on everything here. Cerberus only got unredeemably stupid when they somehow acquired a full military force in 3

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If only we had an ME game done by CDPR

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Phi230 posted:

hey, Bethesda farmed New Vegas out to Obsidian and it ended up being the best Fallout game, so

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Phi230 posted:

Follow the adventures of Geralt Shepard as he travels the known universe on his trustyship the SSV Roach slaying space bandits and space monsters while romancing every immortal biotic sorceress he comes across.

I can get behind that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you guys in here convincing yourself the game will be bad before a release date has even been announced.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think it'll be a good game.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

euphronius posted:

Are you guys in here convincing yourself the game will be bad before a release date has even been announced.

are you in here thinking it will be good before any real footage or review commentary has been released?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

are you in here thinking it will be good before any real footage or review commentary has been released?

God can't hate us that Much to give us a bad new mass effect. Not after 2016.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
1-800-A-Buff-Gay-Dude's "Lock of the Week":

Game will have tight MP where you can hoot and holler with your bros for hours, but the microtransaction poo poo will go way too far compared to the perfect setup it from last time because industry trends with this poo poo have changed in the 5 years since.

The SP will be total poo poo that combines the worst of ME3 with a bunch of the bad parts of the new Dragon Age game. There will be a new Kai Leng.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

euphronius posted:

I think the game may be bad... or it may be good.

There are a lot of reasons to worry though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Lol its bioware. They havent made a good game in 6 years

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Phi230 posted:

Lol its bioware. They havent made a good game in 6 years

DA:I was p good but them adding so much superfluous content after the DA2 debacle kinda backfired because you had to peel the potato to get to the tasty fluffy stuff

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I hope that it's a good game since it'd scratch the sci-fi RPG itch I've been having for a while.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'm looking forward to this game. It looks pretty fun, and outside of the end of ME3 that kind of killed it for me, I can get aboard a new galaxy of strange stuff to explore.

Does anybody know if this is planned as a trilogy or something? I guess naturally it depends on how well it does, but I'm gonna assume it'll do pretty darn well just because.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When people say the game looks like fun, you do realize that we haven't seen anything about Andromeda outside of some prefab cutscenes and "this is the new poo poo" clips of space marines in jet packs.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Titanic posted:

I'm looking forward to this game. It looks pretty fun, and outside of the end of ME3 that kind of killed it for me, I can get aboard a new galaxy of strange stuff to explore.

Does anybody know if this is planned as a trilogy or something? I guess naturally it depends on how well it does, but I'm gonna assume it'll do pretty darn well just because.

They said there will probably be sequels, but they don't want this to be like ME1-3 where it was Shepard's story. So any sequels will probably go the Dragon Age route with a new main character each game in the same universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As long as Andromeda's multiplayer is good like ME3's and not lovely like Inquisition's I don't care how garbage the singleplayer is. That horde mode was so much better than the campaign.