Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just think it suits the character that everything about her is manufactured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

It's not consistent. There are also times when it's said it's British.

My guess is that was Warren Ellis just assuming she was, as that's when her speech patterns got super English. Just like he assumed (fairly) that Kitty Pryde was of age when he hooked her up with Pete Wisdom, except that time he wasn't undoing dozens of issues of character growth like he did with Emma.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

So any other Avengers who are tied to specific states besides New York?
The only ones that come to mind are Nova (Arizona), Ms. Marvel (New Jersey), and Speedball (Pennsylvania). And to my knowledge, all three of them quit their respective Avengers teams.

Does Howard still live in Cleveland?

EDIT: Oh, Avengers...I'll learn to read some day.
Great Lakes Avengers?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

SilverSupernova posted:

So any other Avengers who are tied to specific states besides New York?
The only ones that come to mind are Nova (Arizona), Ms. Marvel (New Jersey), and Speedball (Pennsylvania). And to my knowledge, all three of them quit their respective Avengers teams.

Beast is Illinois, and he's from the Chicago suburbs.

Rick posted:

You could just plop down various Hulks in Southwest states.

They did. Red hulk is Nevada and Hulk is New Mexico.

And although I think Luke Cage is fine for New York, it's weird Spidey is New Hampshire

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Ferrule posted:

Beast is Illinois, and he's from the Chicago suburbs.

You know, I'd always assumed he was from southern Illinois but he and Kitty Pryde aren't from that far apart, yet she's the only one who's an avowed Cubs fan.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

rantmo posted:

You know, I'd always assumed he was from southern Illinois but he and Kitty Pryde aren't from that far apart, yet she's the only one who's an avowed Cubs fan.

Hank is exactly the kind of person who would be utterly ignorant of his local sports scene, but who knows half the local theater crowd on sight.

I bet he knows who Del Close is.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Hank is exactly the kind of person who would be utterly ignorant of his local sports scene, but who knows half the local theater crowd on sight.

I bet he knows who Del Close is.

I can't picture Hank at improv, but I bet he saw Steppenwolf shows when they were in a church basement. Wasn't Hank a jock in highschool though, or was that in one of the non-canonical tellings of the early years?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't think he was a jock but he was good at gymnastics.

He was interested in science which in the 60s meant he was excluded from being a jock.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I thought at one point Hank was like a high school football star or some poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Back when the Dark Beast replaced him for a time, DB did a bunch of research and I think they had Hank playing football in high school.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I thought at one point Hank was like a high school football star or some poo poo.

They covered a ton of his backstory in this issue if anyone has it lying around they could check

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think he was a jock but he was good at gymnastics.

He was interested in science which in the 60s meant he was excluded from being a jock.

This is not the movie thread, but this is one of the things I hated about the Raimi Spider-Man movies, oh he's into science? NERD!!!!!!!! gently caress that poo poo, no ones thought that since the 80s at the latest. Especially in the Marvel world, someone who's good/interested in science means they're gonna be rich and important as gently caress. Maybe a Supervillain.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Yeah he was a huge high school football star. I remember that Rob Liefield/Jae Lee Marvel Comics Present story about his high school sweetheart.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Children of the Atom had him as a football player who was also into science.

I remember in the Evolution cartoon he taught both PE and science classes at the high school all the X-Men went to.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

NERD!!!!!!!! gently caress that poo poo, no ones thought that since the 80s at the latest. Especially in the Marvel world, someone who's good/interested in science means they're gonna be rich and important as gently caress. Maybe a Supervillain.

This may be true, but being Peter Parker is suffering, so there has to be some reason for him to be an ostracized dork who gets picked on. Might as well go with the old stereotype

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Back when the Dark Beast replaced him for a time, DB did a bunch of research and I think they had Hank playing football in high school.

They covered a ton of his backstory in this issue if anyone has it lying around they could check

Why?

Because.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It was a terrible time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rhyno posted:

I kind of hate that issue. Over the course of it, Dark Beast goes back through Hank's life and kills just about everyone who ever meant anything to Hank except his parents. It's a shockingly dark book, especially since Mark Waid wrote it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

I kind of hate that issue. Over the course of it, Dark Beast goes back through Hank's life and kills just about everyone who ever meant anything to Hank except his parents. It's a shockingly dark book, especially since Mark Waid wrote it.

Nobody liked that book.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol fukken dark beast

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love that somebody (Lobdell probably) thought it would be a good idea to bring that guy of all people over to the 616.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Holy carp, I have that issue! And I was young enough to not know that comics are cyclical so I thought Dark Beast had replaced Beast forever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't there a similar book with Bishop and AoA Bishop?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Open Marriage Night posted:

I remember in XMen Omega they meet each other, but I'm pretty sure Legion kills his AoA Bishop/stabs him with his psionic blade or whatever is it, causing both him and Legion to be written out of the timeline so I don't know if he'd appear in another book.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I was shocked at how long Dark Beast and Sugarman stayed around. They just kept going back to those wells over and over and over again. poo poo, for a while they replaced Mr. Sinister as the go-to retcon reason for stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Reg Bishop just got all of AoA Bishops memories.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I love that somebody (Lobdell probably) thought it would be a good idea to bring that guy of all people over to the 616.

Someone thought of the "Real McCoy" pun and the story came later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, the list of AoA characters that came to 616 isn't exactly the greatest hits:

Dark Beast
X-Man
Sugarman

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, the list of AoA characters that came to 616 isn't exactly the greatest hits:

Dark Beast
X-Man
Sugarman

Don't forget Holocaust (a.k.a. Nemesis).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't forget Holocaust (a.k.a. Nemesis).
I knew there was someone I forgot!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Nightcrawler hung around for a bit too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Dark Beast
X-Man
Sugarman

Nate Grey was awesome.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I think Nightcrawler hung around for a bit too.

Eventually. He was brought over after they decided the AoA timeline was still progressing. I assume they brought him over because 616 Kurt hadn't been resurrected yet.

Also Nate Grey is terrible and X-Man was a dreadful loving comic book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I also forgot Blink, though I'm not sure how much she actually counts.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

rantmo posted:

I was shocked at how long Dark Beast and Sugarman stayed around. They just kept going back to those wells over and over and over again. poo poo, for a while they replaced Mr. Sinister as the go-to retcon reason for stuff.

Hell, Sugarman was in Extraordinary like, 6 months ago.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Endless Mike posted:

I also forgot Blink, though I'm not sure how much she actually counts.

Since she was the best of all of the AoA refugees, she should count more.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

Didn't Dark Beast show up in at least one What If despite that making no sense whatsoever?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Heroic Sabertooth also survived thanks to Exiles and I actually really liked him. Creed's face turn is one of the only good things to come from Axis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rantmo posted:

Eventually. He was brought over after they decided the AoA timeline was still progressing. I assume they brought him over because 616 Kurt hadn't been resurrected yet.

Also Nate Grey is terrible and X-Man was a dreadful loving comic book.

Remember how they had Nate bang the clone of his mom?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

bobkatt013 posted:

Greyception. (I was not previously aware of this. It seems like 100% Sinister's bag though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It was fine! She was just a mental projection of the clone of his mom!

• Locked thread