Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Although I hate agreeing with the Einbauschrank, Russia is not up for redemption right now. They invaded and occupied a sovereign country, killed countless numbers of people and displaced millions. Yeah, this poo poo happens all the time and you can totally come back from it(look at the Iraq invasion), but you first gotta stop killing. Until Russia pulls out of eastern Ukraine there is really not much to do, but to pressure them.

What the gently caress is this? Anti Russian propaganda working as intended I guess.

You do know which country is responsible for the deaths of millions, ISIS, refugees and countless wars, right? Pro tip, it doesn't start with "R".

Oh and gently caress Steinmeier that owl looking motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Hashtag Not my president.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
To be precise, somebody who denies the genocide of the Armenian people should not be in any political office no matter how representative instead of functional it is.

And if you support somebody like that you should seriously consider emigrating to the United States or Turkey.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
At this point i'm almost wishing for the war to start so we can be done with it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Oh, and not to forget that he still shows no regret for support Americans disappearing people from German soil to torture. People the Americans knew were innocent of whatever they accused them of.

Now we only need to appoint Margot "It was morally wrong to fight Hitler." Käßmann as his replacement in the foreign office and we're good and ready for thousand years of darkness under Allmother Petry come September.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

At this point i'm almost wishing for the war to start so we can be done with it.

What war? I didn't get any emails about this. Are we going to war?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

bronin posted:

What the gently caress is this? Anti Russian propaganda working as intended I guess.

You do know which country is responsible for the deaths of millions, ISIS, refugees and countless wars, right? Pro tip, it doesn't start with "R".

Russia doesn't need propaganda to look bad, they do pretty drat well on that front themselves.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

bronin posted:

You heard it here first folks, the US forced Russia to conduct a terrorbombing campaign in Syria.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

What war? I didn't get any emails about this. Are we going to war?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulPgWVC08KI

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

ArchangeI posted:

You heard it here first folks, the US forced Russia to conduct a terrorbombing campaign in Syria.

I'm sorry I can't hear you over all those explosions from NATO bombs. No wait those are freedom bombs right? Democracy comes at a price after all. Our bombs good their bombs bad. Got it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

bronin posted:

I'm sorry I can't hear you over all those explosions from NATO bombs. No wait those are freedom bombs right? Democracy comes at a price after all. Our bombs good their bombs bad. Got it.

You realise that nobody's saying the US involvement is necessary better? Russia's government being poo poo does not preclude other governments from being poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Perestroika posted:

You realise that nobody's saying the US involvement is necessary better?

Actually, I'm gonna say it. Russia's track record with civilian casualties in Syria is absolutely horrendous, compared to the coalition. Everything points towards them targeting civilian targets deliberately(although it's obviously very hard to prove that.)

And let's not even talk about Russia's ally, loving Assad. That piece of poo poo will never, ever be able to rule Syria again, after all the horrifying poo poo he did to the civilian population.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Randler posted:

Oh, and not to forget that he still shows no regret for support Americans disappearing people from German soil to torture. People the Americans knew were innocent of whatever they accused them of.

Now we only need to appoint Margot "It was morally wrong to fight Hitler." Käßmann as his replacement in the foreign office and we're good and ready for thousand years of darkness under Allmother Petry come September.

Yeah, that should really be a deal breaker. I mean, so is the denial of the Armenian genocide, but a person who wants to have the highest office in the country can't leave the citizens od said country in a loving extralegal torture prison.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

In the recent US wars I've generally been able to believe that they're genuinely trying to improve the situation, however horribly. Russian leadership has just been hey let's grab this stuff we want and wreak some chaos so our rancid, corrupt authoritarianism looks like the preferable alternative.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Perestroika posted:

You realise that nobody's saying the US involvement is necessary better? Russia's government being poo poo does not preclude other governments from being poo poo.

That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not trying to defend Russia's involvement in Syria at all. I'm just getting sick of this new cold war rethoric that seems to be all the rage lately.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

aphid_licker posted:

In the recent US wars I've generally been able to believe that they're genuinely trying to improve the situation, however horribly. Russian leadership has just been hey let's grab this stuff we want and wreak some chaos so our rancid, corrupt authoritarianism looks like the preferable alternative.

tell me about how the iraq war was aimed at improving the situation :allears:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

botany posted:

tell me about how the iraq war was aimed at improving the situation :allears:

Being deluded enough to think invading Iraq will lead to spontaneous eruptions of freedom and democracy while conveniently making you and your rich friends richer is still less bad than invading random countries because why not.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

Being deluded enough to think invading Iraq will lead to spontaneous eruptions of freedom and democracy while conveniently making you and your rich friends richer is still less bad than invading random countries because why not.

the US invaded iraq to get rid of saddam and gain control of the oil fields, freedom and democracy was the sales pitch. russia invaded ukraine to gain control of the natural resources there, the russian speaking majority wanting Anschluss was the salespitch. the two incidents are directly comparable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

botany posted:

the US invaded iraq to get rid of saddam and gain control of the oil fields, freedom and democracy was the sales pitch. russia invaded ukraine to gain control of the natural resources there, the russian speaking majority wanting Anschluss was the salespitch. the two incidents are directly comparable.

yeah i remember the part where Iraq was annexed by the USA

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
There's not going to be a cold war with a Ku Klux Krazy Trump government steering the United States into isolationism and persecuting its own people.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Drone posted:

yeah i remember the part where Iraq was annexed by the USA

the US and iraq do not share land borders, do not have a common language, do not share cultural traditions or a common past. annexing iraq would have been a stupid idea for obvious reasons. but the US went in to gain control of the oil fields (explicitly acknowledged by chuck hagel, allen greenspan, john abizaid and others) and they did. when the US left iraq, iraqi oil was in the hands of western companies. that has changed somewhat by now, since the iraqi citizens basically kicked out US companies and traded control to russia and china, but that was the plan from the start.

russia and ukraine share land borders, speak almost the same language, share a common past and cultural traditions. annexing a country like that is a lot easier, but don't be surprised if the war ends in a negotiated withdrawal of russian forces from crimea with the stipulation that russian companies gain large shares of the ukrainian gas and oil resources.

az
Dec 2, 2005

And I think all wars of agression are bad.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

the US and iraq do not share land borders, do not have a common language, do not share cultural traditions or a common past. annexing iraq would have been a stupid idea for obvious reasons. but the US went in to gain control of the oil fields (explicitly acknowledged by chuck hagel, allen greenspan, john abizaid and others) and they did. when the US left iraq, iraqi oil was in the hands of western companies. that has changed somewhat by now, since the iraqi citizens basically kicked out US companies and traded control to russia and china, but that was the plan from the start.

russia and ukraine share land borders, speak almost the same language, share a common past and cultural traditions. annexing a country like that is a lot easier, but don't be surprised if the war ends in a negotiated withdrawal of russian forces from crimea with the stipulation that russian companies gain large shares of the ukrainian gas and oil resources.

Yeah, every war is just about oil and gas and literally nothing else. This is why WWII was fought about oil, too: Hitler just wanted more oil fields for his armies.

Please stop huffing oil and gas, it's apparently damaging your brain.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
To be fair:

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1981/jul-aug/becker.htm#becker posted:

The need to provide the lacking 1.9 million barrels per month and the urgency to gain possession of the Russian oil fields in the Caucasus mountains, together with Ukrainian grain and Donets coal, were thus prime elements in the German decision to invade the Soviet Union in June 1941.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

Yeah, every war is just about oil and gas and literally nothing else. This is why WWII was fought about oil, too: Hitler just wanted more oil fields for his armies.

i've never claimed that oil was the ONLY reason to invade iraq, but it was openly one of them, and "exporting democracy" certainly wasn't. remember that the US started planning how to open up the country for foreign energy firms in 2002. before the invasion, oil was nationalized in iraq. by 2013, 80% was under foreign control. if you think oil had nothing to do with the invasion of iraq, i'm not the one deluded here.

az posted:

And I think all wars of agression are bad.

i agree. i'm not saying that russia is any better than the US, i'm just saying that the US isn't, either. (as far as foreign policy is concerned, domestically putin is way worse than trump could ever hope to be.)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The US made a 163° turn with the Obama administration though and tried to change, even if not always successfully(see Libya). Still this has to count for something.

Russia on the other hand keeps gleefully tormenting eastern Ukraine and has doubled down on authoritarianism, oppression and corruption at home.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Just gonna leave this here for those who think those wars are about anything other than money/oil/natural gas: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/02/rfk-jr-why-arabs-dont-trust-america-213601

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Eh, taking control of Iraq's natural resources certainly wasn't the only motive at play there

Don't forget that GWB literally believed the invasion to be the fulfilment of an ancient Biblical prophecy

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in team "things can have more than one cause" on this one. Everything would have been different if Iraq had no oil, but also, everything would have been different if Saddam hadn't been a mass murderous dictator or if Bush or Powell didn't actually believe their own lies.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also what happened to Russia invading Crimea for reasons of military strategy (naval bases, containing NATO expansion)?

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Libluini posted:

To be fair, one of the main reasons Hitler attacked the soviet Union were, in fact, the oil fields. He also postponed the capture of Moscow in order to push for the oil fields in Baku. Oil wasnt the sole reason for the war but it was a pretty important war goal.

Throughout the entire war Hitler was desperate for oil.

demonicon fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 15, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

demonicon posted:

To be fair, one of the main reasons Hitler attacked the soviet Union were, in fact, the oil fields. He also postponed the capture of Moscow in order to push for the oil fields in Baku. Oil wasnt the sole reason for the war but it was a pretty important war goal.

That's not false on the facts, but I think it could be said to be extremely false on the reality of the situation.

Since we're fully Goodwin already, I'll take the more extreme case of the Holocaust and the related crimes. From one view, our ancestors killed all the Jews and Slavs because 1. they could then steal their poo poo, 2. they knew they didn't have enough food to feed both the Army and the massive contingent of prisoners. So two entirely rational reasons. On the other hand, the option of killing them all once it became clear the resources would be needed was only ever an option because our ancestors already believed Jews and Slavs to be subhumans whose eradication was a noble and forward-looking gesture to begin with.

What eventually happened depends at least in its details necessarily on the specifics of the situation on multiple fronts, both 1. with regards to ideology, 2. material reality. So maybe Hitler would have killed all the Jews 1. in peacetime, 2. if he hadn't hated them as much. But 1. a peacetime holocaust would have looked entirely different from what happened, 2. a less ideological, more "rational" genocide would have looked very different, again.

This also applies to the invasion of Russia by Nazi Germany, and probably to some degree to everything else we've discussed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

demonicon posted:

Yeah, that was my point: All that talk about oil and gas isn't wrong, but it sounds incredibly silly to just reduce everything down to "they wanted their sweet, sweet oil".

Because let's face it, most people won't read stuff like Botany's post and say to themselves: "Well obviously there were other reasons for war, he just didn't mention them", they'll instead assume it's all about oil and gas

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

demonicon posted:

The big difference is that Hitler did not have the option to just buy the oil a lot cheaper than it was to conquer it - the same is not true for the US.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
In other "news"... The CSU is still the CSU.

https://twitter.com/heuteshow/status/798105586806259712

Holy poo poo, that grin..

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 15, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
that guy needs a beating

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Just kill the CSU already.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

voodoo dog posted:

die CSU so: yeah der Tobi isn guder

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

CSU are literal racists, just like the rest of Bavaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

voodoo dog posted:

It's the joviality that gets me. ":haw: Yeah, the Tobi knows what I'm talking about! Now as I was saying, the african male wastes all his money on booze and loose women..."