Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

mango sentinel posted:

Clinton was a flawed but incredibly qualified candidate who ran a great traditional campaign with fatal blind spots against an idiot with billions in free airtime to make empty promises that people were desperate to hear.

LOL if you think Bernie would have won in her stead, but he may have at least flipped the Senate.

That makes no sense. She was a bad candidate who would have made a qualified administrator. But because such a bad retail politician, she could not' beat the most unpopular candidate in modern history.

Bernie would have whupped Trump's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reminder:

- John Bolton was so bad, that he had to be recess appointed to be U.N. ambassador
- The only Republicans that opposed him are no longer in the Senate
- He thinks we should abolish the U.N., confiscate the headquarters in New York, and arrest any diplomats that tried to stay in the building in protest.
- He thinks that Iran is a "national death cult" and the only way to stop them from becoming "an international suicide bomb" is to kill their leadership and install new ones.
- He provided anonymous testimony that there were WMDs in Iraq, but failed to disclose it and then cited his own anonymous testimony as "expert opinion" that Iraq had WMDs.
- Thinks that Russia has a "death grip" on natural resource wealth and that we need to provoke them into conflict in order to "justifiably implement regime change in self-defense and for the greater world order."

He will be our next Secretary of State.

Somewhere in Russia a bunch of government hackers are starting to seriously regret some things.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah... :smith:

I talked about this a bit in the Rural Poverty thread, but I work with the rural poor a lot, so if you're interested in the mindset, here's some more words.

They're mostly poor and beaten down. They're reminded everyday of what their towns used to look like. They deal with a lot of the same poo poo that poor city folks deal with, all the minor stupid inconveniences like car trouble, getting dumb forms filled out for jobs and taxes, going to the doctor for minor injuries that are inadequately treated, the boredom of having little to do because so much costs money and is far away...

The lack of literacy is why I get sad when I see people recommend that folks just look up her policies on the web. Some of them seriously might not be capable of doing it, or understanding the words on the screen. They literally need it explained to them, in simpler terminology. They might have trouble reading the McDonald's menu.

I understand the "Ivory Tower College Educated Liberal" stereotype that gets bandied about by the right (disclaimer: I have a master's degree, I've read Wallace, Pynchon, Derrida, Foucault, etc., I wear a sportcoat with suede elbow patched to work everyday... basically I resemble this remark). It hurts like hell when someone who is smarter than you makes fun of you, someone you know despises your lifestyle and existence, who completely devalues your world and the people in it, who'd rather you moved to the city and lived in a rat trap, rather than out in the country where you're "free". That Clinton lied, she lied about emails and stuff. Trump's a businessman, so he knows about money. How are those assholes going to say she's the better candidate when she's a liar? She lied about Benghazi, Sean Hannity said so. A bunch of criminals got shot by cops, and the liberals just want to let them go? Why'd they get arrested if they weren't criminals?

And this can make them hard as hell to talk to about politics or issues, because the reasoning is very simple, their minds are rather quickly made up, and they have a ton of biases they don't even know they have. They don't get the difference between "A Racist" and "Being Racist". They're poor, and no one helps them, so why should other poor people get treated better?

It's not logic I agree with, but I can understand how they think. They have a very different worldview.

They struggle to keep what dignity they can. They're a prideful bunch. Almost every guy I help fillout an online job application starts out by telling me how good he is at something else, be it house-building, wood working, car repair, anything, and that's why he never got around to learning the computer. My partner has already had to yell at some new tutors under her who were talking about how their students were only the way they were because they were lazy and stupid; I'm sure you can imagine how that attitude from an educator can make you want to avoid learning.

But folks can be brought around. It takes time, it takes being a part of the community, it takes learning what they respond to. I told this story before, but I'll tell it again: Some richer folks in town were "just asking question" about the free lunch program my library was running. We give free lunch to any kid who comes through the door, no questions asked, and they were curious how many we gave out, how many were really poor, how much did it cost, that sort of thing. I replied with a few statistics, but also followed up with "and it don't seem Christian to let people go hungry, you know?" And the conversation ended right there with them nodding and looking a little sheepish, because how can you argue with Matthew 25:35?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Believe it or not, it's helpful to look at the history of fascism when your nation is facing it.

This is a very interesting take after the DNC ignored a populist upswelling and instead of capitalizing on it, began to demonize the disenfranchised and send them running into the arms of a right wing ideologue who was more than happy to blame their economic problems on otherized groups.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Business Gorillas posted:

Can I call "woke" liberals trying to invoke my people's industrialized slaughter to get cheap points on the internet cultural appropriation?

Please do. They need to stop using shields for being supporters of an ideology that disenhearted so many people from voting.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nah see, now we have to appeal to racists because Clintonistas failed so terribly at their job. If they hadn't failed so badly, we wouldn't be here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is a very interesting take after the DNC ignored a populist upswelling and instead of capitalizing on it, began to demonize the disenfranchised and send them running into the arms of a right wing ideologue who was more than happy to blame their economic problems on otherized groups.

Lol if you ever thought the Dems were competent.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Reminder:

- John Bolton was so bad, that he had to be recess appointed to be U.N. ambassador
- The only Republicans that opposed him are no longer in the Senate
- He thinks we should abolish the U.N., confiscate the headquarters in New York, and arrest any diplomats that tried to stay in the building in protest.
- He thinks that Iran is a "national death cult" and the only way to stop them from becoming "an international suicide bomb" is to kill their leadership and install new ones.
- He provided anonymous testimony that there were WMDs in Iraq, but failed to disclose it and then cited his own anonymous testimony as "expert opinion" that Iraq had WMDs.
- Thinks that Russia has a "death grip" on natural resource wealth and that we need to provoke them into conflict in order to "justifiably implement regime change in self-defense and for the greater world order."

He will be our next Secretary of State.

Yyyyyup.

In CSPAM a few months ago, there was a Trump supporter named No Mans Land, who vehemently insisted that Trump was a non-interventionist, and that's the reason why Dems should vote for him. God I wish I could laugh in his face right now.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
It's official:

Ellison is running for DNC chair. Let's hope he doesn't sell out :kheldragar:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does Bolton seriously get confirmed? Are there not three Republicans willing to stop that travesty?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

It could be that every suggestion of working people is a dogwhistle or it could be that the term "working man" could mean "people that have to work for a living", ymmv.

There is no logical reason why the party of inclusion can't be the party of "the working man" any more than it can't be the party of isolationism and "the working man".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I empathize. The truth is, I honestly care a lot about the working white poor. I grew up in area not that far removed from the type of stuff you're talking about.

It's not that I hate the white working class. It's that I'm afraid of them. And minorities around the country are too, and as you can see, there are good reasons to be.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

Please do. They need to stop using shields for being supporters of an ideology that disenhearted so many people from voting.

I was mostly asking in case there was some sort of ridiculous woke-twitter caveat, sort of like how someone saying "gently caress white people" isn't racist but is in fact just prejudiced which is better because

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Other Fun John Bolton Fact:

He believes that Honduras is actively receiving Islamic terrorists from Iran and sending them to the United States through the Mexican border. The government of Mexico is either "partially complicit or incapable of stopping the flow of Jihadist fighters."

Note: Honduras and Mexico do not share a border.

When asked about this, he responded that the jungles of Belize are essentially unregulated that the Iranian agents go through there. The distance is relatively small and there is no border patrol there, so it doesn't matter that they don't technically share a border.

This man will be our next Secretary of State.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Lol if you ever thought the Dems were competent.

I would argue they were incredibly competent. They were able to fleece the public and stuff the pockets of the people who they actually represented for almost 30 years.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It could be that every suggestion of working people is a dogwhistle or it could be that the term "working man" could mean "people that have to work for a living", ymmv.

it is extremely racist to not imply that black people don't work

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Majorian posted:

Yyyyyup.

In CSPAM a few months ago, there was a Trump supporter named No Mans Land, who vehemently insisted that Trump was a non-interventionist, and that's the reason why Dems should vote for him. God I wish I could laugh in his face right now.

D&D response to Trump supporter on 11/14/2016: Laugh in his face

And the world corncobbed...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It really is astounding how you can count on one hand the people on the right who seem to care there's going to be an anti-Semite in the Trump WH.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I talked about this a bit in the Rural Poverty thread, but I work with the rural poor a lot, so if you're interested in the mindset, here's some more words.

They're mostly poor and beaten down. They're reminded everyday of what their towns used to look like. They deal with a lot of the same poo poo that poor city folks deal with, all the minor stupid inconveniences like car trouble, getting dumb forms filled out for jobs and taxes, going to the doctor for minor injuries that are inadequately treated, the boredom of having little to do because so much costs money and is far away...

The lack of literacy is why I get sad when I see people recommend that folks just look up her policies on the web. Some of them seriously might not be capable of doing it, or understanding the words on the screen. They literally need it explained to them, in simpler terminology. They might have trouble reading the McDonald's menu.

I understand the "Ivory Tower College Educated Liberal" stereotype that gets bandied about by the right (disclaimer: I have a master's degree, I've read Wallace, Pynchon, Derrida, Foucault, etc., I wear a sportcoat with suede elbow patched to work everyday... basically I resemble this remark). It hurts like hell when someone who is smarter than you makes fun of you, someone you know despises your lifestyle and existence, who completely devalues your world and the people in it, who'd rather you moved to the city and lived in a rat trap, rather than out in the country where you're "free". That Clinton lied, she lied about emails and stuff. Trump's a businessman, so he knows about money. How are those assholes going to say she's the better candidate when she's a liar? She lied about Benghazi, Sean Hannity said so. A bunch of criminals got shot by cops, and the liberals just want to let them go? Why'd they get arrested if they weren't criminals?

And this can make them hard as hell to talk to about politics or issues, because the reasoning is very simple, their minds are rather quickly made up, and they have a ton of biases they don't even know they have. They don't get the difference between "A Racist" and "Being Racist". They're poor, and no one helps them, so why should other poor people get treated better?

It's not logic I agree with, but I can understand how they think. They have a very different worldview.

They struggle to keep what dignity they can. They're a prideful bunch. Almost every guy I help fillout an online job application starts out by telling me how good he is at something else, be it house-building, wood working, car repair, anything, and that's why he never got around to learning the computer. My partner has already had to yell at some new tutors under her who were talking about how their students were only the way they were because they were lazy and stupid; I'm sure you can imagine how that attitude from an educator can make you want to avoid learning.

But folks can be brought around. It takes time, it takes being a part of the community, it takes learning what they respond to. I told this story before, but I'll tell it again: Some richer folks in town were "just asking question" about the free lunch program my library was running. We give free lunch to any kid who comes through the door, no questions asked, and they were curious how many we gave out, how many were really poor, how much did it cost, that sort of thing. I replied with a few statistics, but also followed up with "and it don't seem Christian to let people go hungry, you know?" And the conversation ended right there with them nodding and looking a little sheepish, because how can you argue with Matthew 25:35?

Growing up among such people, and still having family there, 100%

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hahahahaha wow I hadn't heard that one. Though it doesn't surprise me, that's pretty much what Cheney did by planting stories in newspapers and then citing them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's not actually what happened, though. Trump didn't really turn out a very impressive tally of voters.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Volcott posted:

It really is astounding how you can count on one hand the people on the right who seem to care there's going to be an anti-Semite in the Trump WH.

Is it really astounding? The current fake story making the rounds in the conservative bubble is that George Soros the renegade Jew is paying people to protest trump

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mango sentinel posted:

Does Bolton seriously get confirmed? Are there not three Republicans willing to stop that travesty?

Here are the Republicans that opposed his nomination:

Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL)
Arlen Specter (R-PA)
Jim Bunning (R-KY)
Ben Campbell (R-CO)
Richard Lugar (R-IN)

Notice a trend? None of them are in Congress anymore. All other sitting Republicans supported him. Democrats unanimously opposed. That was why he was recess appointed,

"Moderates" like Snow and Collins supported him.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Lightning Knight posted:

I empathize. The truth is, I honestly care a lot about the working white poor. I grew up in area not that far removed from the type of stuff you're talking about.

It's not that I hate the white working class. It's that I'm afraid of them. And minorities around the country are too, and as you can see, there are good reasons to be.

Anybody who is desperate, ashamed, and looked down upon enough is going to be dangerous, Latino and black working class are no different. They can be united by common interests however.

WWC, BWC, LWC, whatever: lots of people hate their bosses, hate being ignored, hate being thought of as stupid. Their interests can be appealed to and they can hold on to a shred of dignity through the (rightful) demonization of the rentiers who are ratfucking them. Just need to give them the right villain (ie not BLM or Muslims)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
gently caress

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Radbot posted:

D&D response to Trump supporter on 11/14/2016: Laugh in his face

And the world corncobbed...

The only ones corncobbing are those who thought Trump was going to be a non-interventionist, and was going to bring back their jobs.:laugh:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

There is no logical reason why the party of inclusion can't be the party of "the working man" any more than it can't be the party of isolationism and "the working man".

The party of inclusion was only for it insofar as it didn't inconvenience their comfy white lifestyles. Reminder that the entirety of the civil rights legislation explicitly went after Jim Crow and enshrined the class-based segregation north of the Mason-Dixon.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Here are the Republicans that opposed his nomination:

Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL)
Arlen Spectre (R-PA)
Jim Bunning (R-KY)
Ben Campbell (R-CO)
Richard Lugar (R-IN)

Notice a trend? None of them are in Congress anymore. All other sitting Republicans supported him. Democrats unanimously opposed. That was why he was recess appointed,

"Moderates" like Snow and Collins supported him.

Yeah, but it helps that Bolton is also personally hated by a lot of folks in Washington. He's a really unlikable POS.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-united-parcel-strike-idUSKBN1391R2

Speaking of the working class.

Air maintenance workers at UPS, represented by Teamster Local 2727, have voted 98% to 2% to strike.

The breaking point in negotiations was UPS' demanding major concessions in healthcare plans which would result in a massive spike in retiree contributions for health-care costs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

menino posted:

Anybody who is desperate, ashamed, and looked down upon enough is going to be dangerous, Latino and black working class are no different. They can be united by common interests however.

WWC, BWC, LWC, whatever: lots of people hate their bosses, hate being ignored, hate being thought of as stupid. Their interests can be appealed to and they can hold on to a shred of dignity through the (rightful) demonization of the rentiers who are ratfucking them. Just need to give them the right villain (ie not BLM or Muslims)

Or Mexican people. It's not a nice feeling to be told that your father and grandmother never belonged in this country, and how dare they undercut the wages of deserving American workers, seeking a better life.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The party of inclusion was only for it insofar as it didn't inconvenience their comfy white lifestyles.

Oh bullshit. The Dems managed to sell this balance between inclusiveness and economic populism to pretty significant effect in 2008, and they don't need someone who is oratorically touched by God like Obama to sell it again.

Lightning Knight posted:

Or Mexican people. It's not a nice feeling to be told that your father and grandmother never belonged in this country, and how dare they undercut the wages of deserving American workers, seeking a better life.

Especially since a lot of their families have been here a lot longer than the whiteys.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Lightning Knight posted:

Absolutely. Give them dignity (listen to what they're saying) and give them a figure who took that dignity from them (motivation to do something about what they just said). The liberal narrative of victims without victimizers is, hopefully, DOA for the Democrats going forward. I firmly believe that talking about the "billionaire class"/"ruling class" was 100% right on for Bernie (there are something like 500 billionaires in the US, they are not that powerful but make for a good story)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Volcott posted:

"Anti-semitism is over because HOLOCAUST" has been a thing for over 70 years

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

John Bolton as SoS so be prepared for us to pull out of the UN/actual war with Iran

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If we get into another war, I don't think our national debt can handle that. Will the man with 11 bankruptices declare bankruptcy on our nation?

You know, a sick part of me wants to see that so I can an ex-friend and go "Remember when you defended his bankruptices?"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Majorian posted:

That's not actually what happened, though. Trump didn't really turn out a very impressive tally of voters.

Uh, the amount of voters he turned out for "burn it all down" in the face of "business as usual" is pretty loving impressive, thank you very much. Only in Clinton world do you not get credit for beating "the most qualified candidate in history".

Majorian posted:

The only ones corncobbing are those who thought Trump was going to be a non-interventionist, and was going to bring back their jobs.:laugh:

If you thought that, you're just as dumb and misinformed as you were on November 7th. They know poo poo's not getting better, they just want to take you down with them.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 14, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is very nicely written. You could probably interest online left magazines in this article (expanded a bit) and it would be better than having it lost in page 497 of a thread on a forum of no particular significance.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

"Anti-semitism is over because HOLOCAUST" has been a thing for over 70 years

Not a great way to get AIPAC buxx though.

Radbot posted:

Uh, the amount of voters he turned out for "burn it all down" in the face of "business as usual" is pretty loving impressive, thank you very much.

It's the lowest total of any major party candidate since 2004 actually, op.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

John Bolton as SoS so be prepared for us to pull out of the UN/actual war with Iran

Do you think Trump will wait for open revolt from his base to start a war with Iran or will he just do it right out the gate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

oh good, and here i was worried he might actually stick to his anti-neocon guns

• Locked thread