Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

At first I thought that was the WH's two handed sword icon, but then I noticed that that icon is actually on the far left column of the sheet, in the very middle. This weapon looks much longer and may be a lance. However, the middle icon looks so much like a spear that I'm not sure it is a lance--presumably they would make the lance icon at least somewhat like that spear icon, or vice versa.

Either way that's definitely 2 new weapons, potentially 3. Hopefully for each of the 3 classes who did not get one in drachenfels. But none of them look like they would fit the bright wizard, unless they're actually going to give her a two handed melee weapon and make her even more overpowered. God only knows what that gun is, but it's probably bardin's new weapon.

That's either a heavy drakefire or a trollhammer torpedo launcher.

The greatsword looks like another elf weapon due to its crossguard and the leaf shape of the blade. The spear is probably going to be Kruber's since next to the hammer and the halberd, it is one of the staples of Empire state troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That hand cannon on a stick design is one of those goofy af old weapon looks I love. I assumed it was a witch hunter shotgun at first. But yeah maybe it's one weapon per character. Though maybe it's more. Victor could still stand to have more choices

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm absolutely hoping for a new weapon for all the classes that didn't get one in the first dlc. hopefully that thing is a lance and not a greatsword.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm absolutely hoping for a new weapon for all the classes that didn't get one in the first dlc. hopefully that thing is a lance and not a greatsword.

Even if it is a lance, it is still an elf weapon based off of that artwork. The high elves in Warhammer have lance spears for their mainline infantry with extremely long blades they can use like polearms.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The thing that looks like a spear could also be an arrowhead. There exist in the files a cut ammo/bow type called "Bodkin" and you see the loading tip for these all the time but they don't exist in game.

"Bodkin arrows are ensorcelled to pierce armor" or somesuch. The Longbow maybe, but the Hagbane also pierces armor so :shrug:

edit: i was pulling that out of my rear end but google shows me they look pretty similar

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 14, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stop giving poo poo to the elf, fatshark

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

They could just finish the Firefly Flamewave staff and give it to Sienna. A certain modder I know even patched it himself so it won't crash the game in two circumstances.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

saltz is great because you kind of get in the mindset that hes alright due to those reasons then he drops either some hosed up line about how much he enjoys torturing people to death or some insane obsessive diatribe about skaven scent glands and then youd realize he'd be the absolute worst person to hang out with out of all of them

the voice actor does a great job. in both cases there's a disturbing amount of excitement and passion in his voice

I like the part where he sounds(and probaly does) cum in his pants when he gets healed. i think he maybe addicted to potions. I mostly main as saltz with musket dulies and the broadsword.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kruber doesn't like sienna that much but it's not for her personality, just his wariness around wizards. He's probably my favorite character because of how he is trying his hardest to keep his composure even while he is a broken man on the inside

well i mean. i would too if my entire regiment was wiped out in front of me by one old necromancer and was only saved by a lucky shot and my friend being destroyed utterly. i dont really blame him for being weary of magic.

Digirat posted:

Basically she's a racist, unfunny version of francis

yeah pretty much. also do they ever further flesh out her backstory, i know she was following a spellsinger or some poo poo and thats all.

anyone play on ps4. because i would play with people.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The elf could use more weapon variety, despite having a ton of weapons

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The elf could use more weapon variety, despite having a ton of weapons

no

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much. also do they ever further flesh out her backstory, i know she was following a spellsinger or some poo poo and thats all.
that's really all you need to know. she was a young waywatcher and she got too interested in something a spellsinger was doing and followed her into the woods one day. spellsingers deal with poo poo best left alone, so either as punishment or logical consequence of her being an idiot, kerillian got some sort of curse on her that turned her eyes completely black and gave her recurring nightmares of the End Times. she's in Ubersreik because she needs to slaughter Skaven to lift her curse.

all the details in this story are unclear and overall it sounds like a childhood story with the broad strokes and lack of articulated motivation for everything, but that's kind of the way it goes with elves in the entire setting. they're pretty tight-lipped even with each other, which is half the reason why the commercial races of the old world (humans, dwarves, and in certain cases lizardmen) just straight out tell them to gently caress straight off most of the time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh god she's an elf teenager? That's even better

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh god she's an elf teenager? That's even better

Kerillian is a dumb backwoods teenager who followed someone she wasn't supposed to into someplace she wasn't supposed to, has constant nightmares about this poo poo all ending in fire, remarkably bad writing, and pauldrons/Sigmarines, and has no goddamn idea what she's doing except that she has to kill billions of ratmen to stop it.

She responds to these stresses by screaming racial slurs at the only people who can possibly help her save the world.

This is normal elf thinking.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Dwarves and dark elves and skinks banding together to fight usurper chaos god Horned Rat's forces is actually rad af writing.
Shame about literally everything else and probably most details in that cool part I mentioned

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I really wanted Thanquol to accidentally destroy the world :saddowns:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
In Warhammer Fantasy, high elves are specifically meant to be posh Brits (and wood elves are probably posh hippy-dippy Brits?) from the point of view of middle class British nerds in the 80s. So a lot of their negative traits are jabs at the upper classes in Britain. Similarly, Skaven are British neo-Nazis: a bunch of lovely little rat-men who live in the sewers yet think they're the master race. (For some reason GW decided that the neo-Nazis should win in the end.)

And I guess Dark Elves are posh Brits who take part in the S&M scene??? It kinda falls apart for me at that point.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Digirat posted:

At first I thought that was the WH's two handed sword icon, but then I noticed that that icon is actually on the far left column of the sheet, in the very middle. This weapon looks much longer and may be a lance. However, the middle icon looks so much like a spear that I'm not sure it is a lance--presumably they would make the lance icon at least somewhat like that spear icon, or vice versa.

Either way that's definitely 2 new weapons, potentially 3. Hopefully for each of the 3 classes who did not get one in drachenfels. But none of them look like they would fit the bright wizard, unless they're actually going to give her a two handed melee weapon and make her even more overpowered. God only knows what that gun is, but it's probably bardin's new weapon.

I could see the Saltzpyre getting a single drakefire pistol, or it could be Baradin getting some sort of drakefire shotgun, or maybe an Irondrake flamethrower(:flashfap:). My guess is that Kruber is getting either the spear or the lance(?). If Kruber gets the spear, I don't know who would get the last one because a Lance isn't really an iconic weapon for anyone else, unless it's meant to be some sort of thin elfy greatsword for Kerillian.

Edit^^^^ Dark Elves are Evil Canadians, basically.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

(For some reason GW decided that the neo-Nazis should win in the end.)

Certain types spend a lot of money on 40k

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

That is definitely either a full size drakefire gun or a trollhammer torpedo, which looks similar but shoots rockets instead.

Edit:I'm a little late I guess

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

After playing so much Total Warhammer recently, especially the Skarsnik campaign, if we go to Karak Azgaraz/Norn that'll be hilarious.

Because gently caress Karak Norn, holy poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Avenging Dentist posted:

In Warhammer Fantasy, high elves are specifically meant to be posh Brits (and wood elves are probably posh hippy-dippy Brits?) from the point of view of middle class British nerds in the 80s. So a lot of their negative traits are jabs at the upper classes in Britain. Similarly, Skaven are British neo-Nazis: a bunch of lovely little rat-men who live in the sewers yet think they're the master race. (For some reason GW decided that the neo-Nazis should win in the end.)

And I guess Dark Elves are posh Brits who take part in the S&M scene??? It kinda falls apart for me at that point.

Well, you know, GW's enthusiasm for their neo-nazi factions has only grown in the recent years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Avenging Dentist posted:

i know orcs/orks are supposed to be soccar hooligans and skaven are neo nazis, but that's it.
I have spend been reading the WH fantasy wiki on my phone(its a app apparently) parts of it are more interesting the 40k and some parts arnt. still interesting though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Certain types spend a lot of money on 40k

i like the imperium/the empire. no poo poo they are awful and it should never be a real government ever and anyone who legit believes it i is good idea loving jackoff. that being said. the history major nerd part of me loves digging through all the hosed up lore. its great time waster on a rainy or slow day.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It's more a logical consequence of what they wanted to do with it. After they lost their ability to trademark the orcs and most of the elf races because they were too generic fantasy to be enforceable, the high direction became 'burn it all to the ground and turn it into something we can trademark', which is what Age of Sigmar is. The easiest way to jettison everything was to literally destroy the world, which meant that Chaos had to win. And if Chaos won, that means their allies, the Skaven, probably had something to do with it.

One should not read political or ethical motivations into anything in warhammer. it's 100% about money, always has been and always will be, and the brand is so strong that the only way to keep the money train going is to protect that brand at all costs. even if that cost is half of the brand.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit^^^^ Dark Elves are Evil Canadians, basically.

Well, they live in Canada, but I'm not sure they're supposed to be actual Canadians. Maybe there's some sort of argument that Dark Elves are Americans, being traitors to the British Empire (read: High Elves)?

Night10194 posted:

Well, you know, GW's enthusiasm for their neo-nazi factions has only grown in the recent years.

Yeah, I was intentionally glossing over that part since this isn't the Mad Thread.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well, they live in Canada, but I'm not sure they're supposed to be actual Canadians.
Masochistic pirates? Sounds Canadian to me!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

The easiest way to jettison everything was to literally destroy the world, which meant that Chaos had to win.

Or they could have done like in 40k and just renamed poo poo, like how Imperial Guard are "Astra Militarum" now. People would have groused that their dwarf army is called "Duardin" but that's a pretty small change compared to "get rid of everything and turn all dwarves into naked mohawk midgets" or rules containing the phrase "If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse,"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

40k was easier to handle for a whole sack of reasons, not the least of which was that the stuff they couldn't directly trademark was a serious minority of the overall content, whereas in fantasy it was easily half the brand. orcs, dwarves, all the elf factions, and the beastmen were right the gently caress out instantly because they had direct obvious inspiration (from tolkein, mostly) and direct obvious descendents (warcraft, mostly) that had been around for 10+ years and GW hadn't agitated to make their brand distinct in that entire time frame. a rename was not going to do the trick.

this is distinctly different from 40k, where if you kinda squint hard enough you can maybe say that starship troopers rolls like the imperial guard, but everything else is so different that no reasonable person would call them equivalent. renaming the Guard was a detail to be safe, but they Guard themselves didn't have fundamental issues. you can't just rename Rivendell and call it Yours Forever, people tried that poo poo with Akira Kurosawa's flicks in the spaghetti western era and got their poo poo sued off (see Yojimbo -> Fistful of Dollars).

WHF had a ton of fundamental issues like that which made it difficult to defend their IP, and GW responded to that by saying 'well gently caress all that then'. which is actually really understandable given their market position and crap, even if it is a huge crybaby move from the outside looking in.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Like 70% of warhammer 40k is ripped off of Dune, and the other 30% is aggregated from like four 80s movies

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

40k pulls a ton of poo poo from 2000ad, but yeah it doesn't deal in archetypical anything like whf does

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

WHF had a ton of fundamental issues like that which made it difficult to defend their IP, and GW responded to that by saying 'well gently caress all that then'. which is actually really understandable given their market position and crap, even if it is a huge crybaby move from the outside looking in.

I don't really agree, since a lot of AoS is really generic in the end too. The only part about Sigmarines that's been "proven" unique is their big pauldrons (there was some lawsuit about Space Marine armor that concluded this), but they end up looking like Warcraft soldiers.

In any case, if AoS is what it took to get good PC games set in the WFB world, it's worth it to me (because I never played WFB).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 14, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this isn't a theory, GW folks have said as much at conventions and release events when people sputteringly ask wtf m8

like this is literally why they did what they did, they could not defend their IP properly under the WHF name but they can under AoS for a bunch of reasons that are only tangentially related to names.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Night10194 posted:

Kerillian is a dumb backwoods teenager who followed someone she wasn't supposed to into someplace she wasn't supposed to, has constant nightmares about this poo poo all ending in fire, remarkably bad writing, and pauldrons/Sigmarines, and has no goddamn idea what she's doing except that she has to kill billions of ratmen to stop it.

She responds to these stresses by screaming racial slurs at the only people who can possibly help her save the world.

This is normal elf thinking.

This is correct elf thinking, Kerillian is fun to play in part because she's such a terrible person.
Around elves, watch yourselves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I generally find the elf the least fun character because she has a lot of weapons but very little actual variety, and her ranged weapons are basically either insanely supremely powerful or total dogshit, with no in between.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Are Elves deserving of more ire than Games Workshop?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Games Workshop will always be the worst

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

I generally find the elf the least fun character because she has a lot of weapons but very little actual variety, and her ranged weapons are basically either insanely supremely powerful or total dogshit, with no in between.

I find it really satisfying to rapidly poke rat men in the face with her daggers. I am also a terrible person.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nechronic posted:

I find it really satisfying to rapidly poke rat men in the face with her daggers. I am also a terrible person.

Her weapons are *fun*, I just find aside from the hilarity axe they're all just a variation on 'fast thingy' and I generally like Saltzpyre's rapier best for that.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

stop giving poo poo to the elf, fatshark

Elf is the most popular character so they gotta always give a weapon to make the elf players pony up for the DLC. Regrettable, but :capitalism:.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don't need drachenfels to get the halberd and volley crossbow though.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Digirat posted:

You don't need drachenfels to get the halberd and volley crossbow though.

I thought they only dropped as rewards from the Drachenfels maps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes, which you do not need the DLC to play.

• Locked thread