Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

that is literally the scenario you provided for why whites may have voted for trump besides being racists

Oh, I thought you were saying that you thought I viewed the world that way. It's not so simplistic as that. I'm talking about the people in the rust belt who've been voting Democrat for decades but didn't think that Clinton offered them anything personally, so went for the guy that is going to be really lovely for everybody else but promised them their manufacturing jobs back. Still a racist decision, but not motivated by racism and remedied by not coupling social and economic liberalism and leaving economic populist rhetoric to the fascist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Oh, I thought you were saying that you thought I viewed the world that way. It's not so simplistic as that. I'm talking about the people in the rust belt who've been voting Democrat for decades but didn't think that Clinton offered them anything personally, so went for the guy that is going to be really lovely for everybody else but promised them their manufacturing jobs back. Still a racist decision, but not motivated by racism and remedied by not coupling social and economic liberalism and leaving economic populist rhetoric to the fascist.

He wasn't hiding his bigotry behind high-minded ideology or even bog standard dog whistles. His promises about fixing the economy were bullshit to even cursory inspection, but all he needed was some fuckheaded excuse to get closet racists out to the polls.

I don't think you know as much about the Rust Belt as you think if you believe it's full of working class whites who were just kind allies to minorities before suddenly some threshold was reached where they were just that desperate. If you throw out social policies as a way to appeal to middle class whites you simply aren't getting social policies, ever.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

neongrey posted:

Obama proved you can appeal to rust belt voters without packaging naked racism into the platform.
Obama proved that by being incredibly charismatic and running in the wake after a historically disastrous administration, you can get a lot of votes. I don't think there's a lot of reason to think those votes were then and forever expected to go Democrat. Whatever Democrat ran for President, they were going to be starting out behind.

It's hard to directly help the white working class. They will take things that help them but their pride can lead them to reject handouts. And anything you try to do for them, their knees will wobble if someone hints that it might cost someone a single job. The big thing Clinton offered the poor, the $15 minimum wage, wasn't job creation, and doesn't even apply to a lot of these people who make slightly more anyway, or make more per hour but work is irregular.

You can also appeal to people by saying you'll stick it to their competitors and enemies. For Democrats, the enemies are the rich and the bigots. The WWC doesn't care about bigotry too much. So that leaves sticking it to the rich, and Clinton was terrible a terrible candidate for that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So this is just a D&D thread now, huh

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

D&D's actually worse than you're imagining atm

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Let's get back on topic! This is apparently a college propaganda kit from The Right Stuff:

Could this be ... the return of KOANIC SOUL??

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

divabot posted:

Let's get back on topic! This is apparently a college propaganda kit from The Right Stuff:

huh I thought you were trying to shift topic

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Is Trump a thal, a cro-mag, or a melonhead

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Is Trump a thal, a cro-mag, or a melonhead

he's clearly amphibian

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Annointed posted:

Not empty quoting, actually I want to add my own two cents of "c'mon fellow goons stop calling the Trump supporters racist you're just making things worse for me the pale faced goon."

Really dudes? Are you really loving going that progressive apologetic route? What's next? I'm supposed to hold hands and sing kumbaya with people who if this election was done in the 1960's -70's would have salivated to turn my home country into a blazing inferno? I'm the loving bad guy for not wanting to consolidate with people who treat my ethnicity as either a beat stick against other minorities one moment and then a menace at their own convenience huh?

How about instead we don't compromise with people that want nothing less than to oppress/enslave/genocide minorities?
With this perspective, you've boiled down your options to "revolution, probably through violent means" or "gently caress it, I'm leaving this shithole". Because you've just given up on a large part the country by boxing them up under a single label and dismissing any and all perspectives they've have. So you're at a dead end, because option one will never happen.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He wasn't hiding his bigotry behind high-minded ideology or even bog standard dog whistles. His promises about fixing the economy were bullshit to even cursory inspection, but all he needed was some fuckheaded excuse to get closet racists out to the polls.

I don't think you know as much about the Rust Belt as you think if you believe it's full of working class whites who were just kind allies to minorities before suddenly some threshold was reached where they were just that desperate. If you throw out social policies as a way to appeal to middle class whites you simply aren't getting social policies, ever.

Nah, I'm just saying the decline in blue collar jobs led to people looking for someone who would give them solutions and as lovely as Trump's solutions are, I don't think Clinton was offering anything. Maybe you're right and it was someone finally giving voice to an undercurrent of bigotry that did it.

Anyway, I'm not to going to post about this any more. Trying to work out the mentality of someone who voted for Trump is hard and I don't think the world will miss more hot takes on why Trump won.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

With this perspective, you've boiled down your options to "revolution, probably through violent means" or "gently caress it, I'm leaving this shithole". Because you've just given up on a large part the country by boxing them up under a single label and dismissing any and all perspectives they've have. So you're at a dead end, because option one will never happen.

Judging by the fact the the popular vote is Clinton

You are full of poo poo thinking they are the silent majority.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Annointed posted:

Judging by the fact the the popular vote is Clinton

You are full of poo poo thinking they are the silent majority.
What do you think the DNC should do for the next election.

I reckon they should bring in someone who will just call that "silent majority" a bunch of cunts and call it a day.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

What do you think the DNC should do for the next election.

I reckon they should bring in someone who will just call that "silent majority" a bunch of cunts and call it a day.

Oh huh

How about actually being progressive and kick out the corporatist pussies who have shown their incompetence?

Nice for you to consider racists the majority when that is clearly shown to be a sack of lies

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

divabot posted:

I'm like 'well obviously this is a mask but they're staying within...' and then phrenology out of nowhere.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Annointed posted:

Oh huh

How about actually being progressive and kick out the corporatist pussies who have shown their incompetence?

Nice for you to consider racists the majority when that is clearly shown to be a sack of lies
Yeah I'm with you. One of the narratives frequently put forward by leftists in multiple countries is that the right are particularly good at misleading a working class populace into voting against their own interests. The perfect to this would be to put forward a platform of convincing people what would actually help them. So Bernie would have been a decent "anti-establishment" candidate to put forward because he not only offers the same "lets gently caress poo poo up" position that Trump did, but is way more inclusive about it too.

And yeah I don't consider racists to be the majority. And I'm English mate. I voted to remain. I've seen first hand and spoken to a lot of people who saw that vote as a gently caress you to the political establishment, and were willing to overlook the inherent racism of the people promoting the leave argument because the gently caress you was too irresistible to ignore.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Gorn Myson posted:

And yeah I don't consider racists to be the majority. And I'm English mate. I voted to remain. I've seen first hand and spoken to a lot of people who saw that vote as a gently caress you to the political establishment, and were willing to overlook the inherent racism of the people promoting the leave argument because the gently caress you was too irresistible to ignore.

And yet all the pro-Brexiters I communicate with in any way since then appear to also be xenophobic racists! Truly, the workings of sheer coincidence are remarkable.

like, I know literally one who even admitted after advocating and voting "leave" that it was the stupidest thing ever with stupendously damaging effects, and had realised this when Farage admitted an hour after the vote had been called that the NHS £350m/week had been utter lies. They're still a xenophobe, of course. Pure coincidence, though!

I'm sure they're not really really racist xenophobes when you examine their soul with your soul spectrometer. They just have no problem siding with the literal Nazis who murder opposition politicians literally in the street in their cause, there's no reason that should give them the slightest second thought, it's absolutely nothing to do with Brexit even though it literally was. The raging xenophobes and racists all around the entire issue for its entire history are certainly nothing they could have been expected to take into consideration.

divabot has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Nov 14, 2016

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

divabot posted:

And yet all the pro-Brexiters I communicate with in any way since then appear to also be xenophobic racists! Truly, the workings of sheer coincidence are remarkable.

like, I know literally one who even admitted after advocating and voting "leave" that it was the stupidest thing ever with stupendously damaging effects, and had realised this when Farage admitted an hour after the vote had been called that the NHS £350m/week had been utter lies. They're still a xenophobe, of course. Pure coincidence, though!

I'm sure they're not really really racist xenophobes when you examine their soul with your soul spectrometer. They just have no problem siding with the literal Nazis who murder opposition politicians literally in the street in their cause, there's no reason that should give them the slightest second thought, it's absolutely nothing to do with Brexit even though it literally was. The raging xenophobes and racists all around the entire issue for its entire history are certainly nothing they could have been expected to take into consideration.
I like how you keep slapping these "I love racists, xenophobes etc" arguments to me when I haven't written anything like that.

The option I would present is "politicians have lied to these people about the causes of their ills, lets build a positive campaign by directing them to solutions that would benefit them in reality, as opposed to the right wing fan-fiction version of reality where all the bad things in the world are caused by people who aren't the same colour as me or don't gently caress the same gender that I do". Your option is "vote for me, I'm totally progressive, if you don't vote for me then you hate blacks, gays, latinos and women". So you want Hilary Clinton again.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

I like how you keep slapping these "I love racists, xenophobes etc" arguments to me when I haven't written anything like that.

The option I would present is "politicians have lied to these people about the causes of their ills, lets build a positive campaign by directing them to solutions that would benefit them in reality, as opposed to the right wing fan-fiction version of reality where all the bad things in the world are caused by people who aren't the same colour as me or don't gently caress the same gender that I do". Your option is "vote for me, I'm totally progressive, if you don't vote for me then you hate blacks, gays, latinos and women". So you want Hilary Clinton again.

"With this perspective, you've boiled down your options to "revolution, probably through violent means" or "gently caress it, I'm leaving this shithole". Because you've just given up on a large part the country by boxing them up under a single label and dismissing any and all perspectives they've have. So you're at a dead end, because option one will never happen."

A loving hem. Again you keep pushing the narrative that these people are the majority and therefore we should cowtow to them. Not to mention that they have consistently voted against their own interests, so in the interest of literally everyone else, how about gently caress 'em, we go on with progress, they can be dragged along kicking and screaming if they want or be left in the dust.

Annointed has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Nov 14, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Not going to THE RIGHT STUFF DOT BIZ. Who are these shitstains again?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/ESYudkowsky/status/798282581120675840

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

OK, I smiled at this.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

divabot posted:

Oh gently caress I saw the first two posters today on my campus. They were taped to lampposts.

Pulled those fuckers down.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Oh gently caress I saw the first two posters today on my campus. They were taped to lampposts.

Pulled those fuckers down.

Can you at least torch them on a private unlisted youtube video for us to see?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Loving that Klan hood Alt Right logo, nice of them to so rapidly drop the facade

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

My favorite bit of writing on DE today was this sympathetic and horrified study of the academic and artistic flotsam caught in the spiraling wake of Plant & Land. It's not short, but I loved every word of it. It especially might be your thing if you prefer your social critique a bit drier and less "I am a magician, yes really" than Sandifer.

A favorite laugh-out-loud moment for me on the rebel-academic group CCRU:

quote:

Libidinising "flows" and investing them with an intrinsically subversive power, Deleuze & Guattari have been criticised as incorrigible Romantics. CCRU develop this element of A Thousand Plateaus into a kind of mystic-materialism. Discussing what CCRU call "Gothic Materialism" ("ferro-vampiric" cultural activity which flirts with the inorganic and walks the "flatline" between life and death), Anna Greenspan talks about how "the core of the earth is made of iron, and blood contains iron", about how the goal is to "hook up with the Earth's metal plasma core, which is the Body-Without-Organs". Body-without-Organs (B-w-O) is the Deleuzian utopia, an inchoate flux of deterritorialised energy; Greenspan says they take the B-w-O as "an ethical injunction", a supreme goal.

"You know how in cartoons, bodies are ductile and plasticine, reflecting a comedic and childlike perception of reality? Someday, of course, science will make us new bodies which really work like that. It'll be great. Anyone who distracts from or obstructs progress towards that is promulgating slave-ethics and is an enemy of the future."

Here's a look inside the connected arts collective "OD":

quote:

Not only do OD reckon Charles Manson had some good ideas, their East London HQ contains several cages of snakes--proof of their determination to get really serious about voodoo rites. The obsession was sparked by Gibson's Count Zero, in which cyberspace has spontaneously generated entities equivalent to the loa (the spirit-gods of voudun cosmology). Throughout the interview, a shaven-headed OD member called Rich sits with baby boa constrictors wrapped around his body. His other contribution to the evening is to make some sandwiches--daintily quartered, but containing peanut butter mixed with sardines. "Too radical for me", I confess after one nibble. Rich's eyes light up triumphantly: Mind-Game Over.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I feel that reading that exchange just gave me a stroke.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Annointed posted:

"With this perspective, you've boiled down your options to "revolution, probably through violent means" or "gently caress it, I'm leaving this shithole". Because you've just given up on a large part the country by boxing them up under a single label and dismissing any and all perspectives they've have. So you're at a dead end, because option one will never happen."

A loving hem. Again you keep pushing the narrative that these people are the majority and therefore we should cowtow to them. Not to mention that they have consistently voted against their own interests, so in the interest of literally everyone else, how about gently caress 'em, we go on with progress, they can be dragged along kicking and screaming if they want or be left in the dust.
They aren't the majority but they're voters and voters are there to be persuaded. You probably aren't going to get those old school die hard Republicans won over to your side, but you've got a good chance of people to vote for their actual interests provided you build a good campaign around those ideas and push them heavily enough. The reason why they vote against those ideas is because they've been mislead. So lead them back to the better path. Alternatively you could just throw your hands up, tell them they're a bunch of loving idiots and then make some vague talk about progress and pat yourself on the back for good work.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gorn Myson posted:

They aren't the majority but they're voters and voters are there to be persuaded. You probably aren't going to get those old school die hard Republicans won over to your side, but you've got a good chance of people to vote for their actual interests provided you build a good campaign around those ideas and push them heavily enough. The reason why they vote against those ideas is because they've been mislead. So lead them back to the better path. Alternatively you could just throw your hands up, tell them they're a bunch of loving idiots and then make some vague talk about progress and pat yourself on the back for good work.

That's a great idea go tell the folks at D&D

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I Killed GBS posted:

Something that also changed between 2012 and now was the gutting of the Voting Rights Act. A good chunk of this victory is due to voter suppression. Over 300,000 people were prevented from voting in NC, enough to easily turn the state blue. And Wisconsin also has voter ID laws, which is another state which cost Hillary the election. You also have the narrative of "BOTH CANDIDATES ARE EQUALLY BAD" which people have been floating for 9+ months, which helped increase the number of ballots with no vote for president.

There was no single factor here, and it's irritating to see people claim the message we should take away from this is that we should try to be more accommodating of bigotry.

I found out my friend didn't vote because "Hillary is just as bad" and "I don't want to support the end of the world either way!"

He was also very convinced by the whole killary conspiracy theory :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

I really wanted to look for other explanations too but I must have watched hundreds of "let's get the people's opinion!" bits from all sorts of different news outlets randomly accosting everyday people in Britain and every single person who said they were going to/had voted to leave, both before and after the actual vote, had immigration as either their first or second priority, and most of them also said things like "it's getting to the point where in some areas of England you can't even hear people speaking English anymore!!!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I somehow completely missed this but Hugo Award Nominated Author Chuck Tingle is doing a kickstarter with Zoe Quinn to make a FMV game and it's got 25 hours to go:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/703752115/kickstarted-in-the-butt-a-chuck-tingle-digital-adv

e: I just noticed the funding goal was $69,420 :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

I somehow completely missed this but Hugo Award Nominated Author Chuck Tingle is doing a kickstarter with Zoe Quinn to make a FMV game and it's got 25 hours to go:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/703752115/kickstarted-in-the-butt-a-chuck-tingle-digital-adv

e: I just noticed the funding goal was $69,420 :allears:

It's past the funding goal now. It's happening.

Favourite line:

quote:

Our exquisitely handcrafted smut puts the anal in artisanal.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Would buy just for this:

quote:

We’re also including a Kitten Mode, where sexual situations will be replaced by footage of kittens playing. If you wish, you may also engage Kitten Mode on its own, just to watch some kittens playing, because why not.

(I have a dream where someone mods The Binding of Isaac to replace gross situations with kittens, flowers, and rainbows, partly because it would be hilarious and partly because then I could play it.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Would buy just for this:

(I have a dream where someone mods The Binding of Isaac to replace gross situations with kittens, flowers, and rainbows, partly because it would be hilarious and partly because then I could play it.)

I'd totally play that too, I've kinda strayed away from BoI since despite it being a good game from what people tell me I just can't stand that particular vein of grimdark-cute indie game bullshit and i'm real glad indie gaming seems to have gotten over that fad

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Chuck Tingle is the hero we need in these times but don't deserve.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I really wanted to look for other explanations too but I must have watched hundreds of "let's get the people's opinion!" bits from all sorts of different news outlets randomly accosting everyday people in Britain and every single person who said they were going to/had voted to leave, both before and after the actual vote, had immigration as either their first or second priority, and most of them also said things like "it's getting to the point where in some areas of England you can't even hear people speaking English anymore!!!"

I know, right? WHAT ARE THE ODDS

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I'd totally play that too, I've kinda strayed away from BoI since despite it being a good game from what people tell me I just can't stand that particular vein of grimdark-cute indie game bullshit and i'm real glad indie gaming seems to have gotten over that fad
I don't have a philosophical problem with the grimdark per se, I just cannot sit through that much splattering poop, blood, snot, dead things, rotting things, body parts, etc, etc. without wanting to vomit after a couple of minutes. Especially with the squelchy sound effects. My kid plays it and loves it, but I try to be out of the room.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
BoI is the most Newgrounds thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

I don't have a philosophical problem with the grimdark per se, I just cannot sit through that much splattering poop, blood, snot, dead things, rotting things, body parts, etc, etc. without wanting to vomit after a couple of minutes. Especially with the squelchy sound effects. My kid plays it and loves it, but I try to be out of the room.

It's honestly too cartoony to get that kind of reaction from me. It mostly reminds me of the dumb doodles of gross stuff kids put on the margins of their notebooks.

Improbable Lobster posted:

BoI is the most Newgrounds thing ever.

BoI is actually fun to play, so I beg to differ