Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PrinceRandom posted:

I dunno if I like it but I don't think sumlin survives. With one more loss he's definitely gone

You think he's gonna beat LSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm laughing at us somehow going full circle and ending up back at a probable bidding war between Texas and Texas A&M for Tom Herman.

MourningView posted:

Hoke is gonna be a really awesome dline coach and recruiting coordinator for someone next year

That someone will probably be in NAIA but still.

A.o.D. posted:

I've just realized one potential downside to hiring Ed Orgeron as head coach for LSU, regardless of whether he's good or terrible. It would make scanning threads really difficult when people are talking about Oregon.

Which is why he should be known as DACOACHO now and forever. Make it easy on everyone. Someone post the Hummer ad tia.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

That someone will probably be in NAIA but still.

I would take him at Iowa so fast

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Thermos H Christ posted:

You think he's gonna beat LSU?
Absolutely not with our run D. But winning that and a bowl will probably keep him. I think.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jimbo pls no

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Just more rumblings but who knows.

Lord knows LSU wouldn't let Charles Kelly come along

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Unless LSU is throwing tons of money, I don't see why Jimbo would go. They're pretty equal programs, and FSU has an arguably easier pathway to the playoffs most years.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PrinceRandom posted:

Absolutely not with our run D. But winning that and a bowl will probably keep him. I think.

I think he beats UTSA and loses to LSU, meaning an 8-win regular season capped off with a mediocre bowl game that could take it to 9 wins. I'm not sure what gives A&M the impression that they should be doing much better than that on an annual basis. With the exception of his first season, Sumlin has won 8 or 9 games every year. Seems like his ceiling is probably about 10 or 11 games in a particularly good year, and he probably won't miss out on a bowl game any time soon, even in a down year. You could do a lot worse, and I'm not sure you could do a lot better in the SEC West, at least until a tornado drops a house on Saban.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Outside of SEC 'mystique' and having a state entirely to yourself, I think FSU is a better job.

Easier access to playoffs, not sharing a division with the best college head coach of all time are pros. The programs themselves are about equal.

We'll be playing him either way, but I think he'd be dumb to leave Tally.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LSU has a lot more money

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

LSU has a lot more money

So? I doubt they'd throw 8m at him. He's good but he isn't that loving good.

What's he making at FSU? What was Miles making?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LeeMajors posted:

quote:

New details have emerged regarding Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher's contract extension, attained through a public records request. The contract will last through the 2018 season, with a $225,000 base salary and additional compensation each year as follows:

2014 -- $3.275 million
2015 -- $3.5 million
2016 -- $3.776 million
2017 -- $4 million
2018 -- $4.274 million
That's a healthy chunk of coin, and it's made even better by his bonuses. Fisher will make:

$100,000 for a division title
$100,000 for a conference title
$75,000 for making the playoffs
$200,000 for making the national title game
$200,000 for winning the national title game
$100,000 for a non-national title game major bowl game
$50,000 for a non-major bowl game
$200,000 for a top-five finish
$100,000 for a top-10 finish
$200,000 for an undefeated season
$75,000 for winning National Coach of the Year
$50,000 for ACC Coach of the Year
$25,000 for a graduation rate between 65% and 84%
$50,000 for a graduation rate above 84%
$25,000 for an APR rating of .930 or higher

quote:

Les’ contract runs through December 2019 (3 years, 3 months from now). By contract, if he is terminated, his buyout is paid out monthly over a period of time double the remaining term…thus, he’ll be paid out over 6 years, 6 months.

His stated buyout is $12.9 million; but by contract you reduce from that any amounts paid to him in this calendar year.

Les makes $4.3 million per year plus bonuses. Depending on what has already been paid in calendar 2016, that is what sets his buyout.

For illustrative purposes, let’s assume 9/12s have been paid, thus approximately $3.2 million.

So, his stated buyout was $12.9 million, less the $3.2 paid in 2016. Hence, Les will be paid approximately $9.7 million over the next 6 years, 6 months.

Assuming Les does not accept further work, he would receive approximately $125,000 / month for the next 6 years, 6 months.

something like that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

USA Today's database has Jimbo making $5.25mil, for the curious

E: A link for those who don't have it, they just updated it a few weeks ago

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's still funny to me that every year, someone in the SEC West will be getting paid at least $4 million to come last in the division.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

It's still funny to me that every year, someone in the SEC West will be getting paid at least $4 million to come last in the division.

Every team that plays alabama is a paycheck game

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:smithicide:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Is he a Sexton client?

A) it would be insanely idiotic to leave just to finish second in your division every year.

B) if he's a sexton client I'd bet it's just a raise-flirtation.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Butch Davis leaving ESPN to become head coach at Florida International.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

pillsburysoldier posted:

There's no reason for Jimbo to leave FSU. He has won a championship there, got to the playoff after that, and consistently recruits top 5 classes. The worst he will do is squeeze FSU for some more money.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Isn't FIU actually in a pretty good spot to be a solid mid-major program? They're in a recruiting hotbed and could feasibly attract some decent talent that the A-list Florida schools don't have room for. That's basically the same blueprint UCF and USF rode to hot stretches for a few years.

Don't know if Butch Davis of all people is the right hire, but the circumstances are ripe for them to be a 6-7-win bowl team every year. Feels like the only real question is if the brass cares enough to aspire to UCF/USF level.

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 15, 2016

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
The only argument I could see for Jimbo->LSU is that he thinks his ceiling there could be higher because of how much LSU owns the Louisiana talent pipeline. If he can keep a virtual lockdown on LA blue chippers and use his current connections to raid Florida, that's a potentially terrifying team.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

punched my v-card at camp posted:

The only argument I could see for Jimbo->LSU is that he thinks his ceiling there could be higher because of how much LSU owns the Louisiana talent pipeline. If he can keep a virtual lockdown on LA blue chippers and use his current connections to raid Florida, that's a potentially terrifying team.

Counterpoint: His ceiling at LSU is 2nd in the SEC West until Saban is cast back into the fires of Mt Doom from whence he came

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

congrats to Florida International for their upcoming NCAA violations hiring of Butch Davis

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
It would be insanely stupid of LSU to openly court another coach during Orgeron's last few games if they don't want the whole class to evaporate and the team to quit

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Raku posted:

It would be insanely stupid of LSU to openly court another coach during Orgeron's last few games if they don't want the whole class to evaporate and the team to quit

I think I agree.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

I mean, they weren't recruited on the assumption that Orgeron was going to be their coach, so I'm not sure why it would matter if it becomes obvious that he's not. And the season is effectively over anyway, all that's left to play for is a middling bowl game.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

big money big clit posted:

I mean, they weren't recruited on the assumption that Orgeron was going to be their coach, so I'm not sure why it would matter if it becomes obvious that he's not. And the season is effectively over anyway, all that's left to play for is a middling bowl game.

guess who is in charge of recruiting them right now

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

guess who is in charge of recruiting them right now

So your argument is that they stuck around when the long tenured and historically beloved and successful head coach was fired mid season, but won't tolerate Ed Orgeron being gone?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
They also have beating Florida to focus on right now. It's pretty important.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Benne posted:

Isn't FIU actually in a pretty good spot to be a solid mid-major program? They're in a recruiting hotbed and could feasibly attract some decent talent that the A-list Florida schools don't have room for. That's basically the same blueprint UCF and USF rode to hot stretches for a few years.

Don't know if Butch Davis of all people is the right hire, but the circumstances are ripe for them to be a 6-7-win bowl team every year. Feels like the only real question is if the brass cares enough to aspire to UCF/USF level.

Yeah this could be a good job if he's able to recruit without getting sanctions. Mario Cristobal was able to get 4 guys who were drafted into the NFL to go there, but I'm not sure if they where highly sought after players.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Yeah this could be a good job if he's able to recruit without getting sanctions. Mario Cristobal was able to get 4 guys who were drafted into the NFL to go there, but I'm not sure if they where highly sought after players.

Where FIU will be able to excel is in getting a ton of 3 star athletes. They might get a 4 star here or there, but the rich recruiting ground, the recent improvements made to the campus and stadium (honestly, place is looking better than UM and I say that as a UM alum), and the promise of actual play time and early on, and they should be able to rack up tons of 3 stars who want to play rather than sit on the bench at Bama, Ohio St, Florida, FSU, etc. I said a couple weeks ago, there is a ton of money being thrown around FIU right now, and its a great area to be in.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Yeah this could be a good job if he's able to recruit without getting sanctions.

I feel like sanctions have followed Davis to every school where he's been head coach, though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Do you even care if your FIU? Worst case you...go back to pretty much being FIU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Counterpoint: His ceiling at LSU is 2nd in the SEC West until Saban is cast back into the fires of Mt Doom from whence he came

Saban is 65 and doesn't seem like he enjoys anything, so I doubt he'll retire anytime soon. All great coaches eventually have to get old and mediocre right? I know Mack Brown was around 60. It sounds ludicrous since Ohio State went 12-1 in 2010 (gently caress you Emmerit come over to my house and delete that sugar bowl from my DVR), but I feel like Jim Tressel was trending down around 60 since he was really lording over an absolute poo poo Big Ten. Spurrier was pretty good into his late sixties but fell off at the end. Fulmer lost it relatively early, I didn't realize he's only 66 now and he lost it in his 50s.

Please can it be soon? I don't even hate Alabama anymore I'm just bored with them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
60 is right around when you should be trying to lock a coach up for at least another 10 years or so imo

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Saban is 65 and doesn't seem like he enjoys anything, so I doubt he'll retire anytime soon. All great coaches eventually have to get old and mediocre right? I know Mack Brown was around 60. It sounds ludicrous since Ohio State went 12-1 in 2010 (gently caress you Emmerit come over to my house and delete that sugar bowl from my DVR), but I feel like Jim Tressel was trending down around 60 since he was really lording over an absolute poo poo Big Ten. Spurrier was pretty good into his late sixties but fell off at the end. Fulmer lost it relatively early, I didn't realize he's only 66 now and he lost it in his 50s.

Please can it be soon? I don't even hate Alabama anymore I'm just bored with them.

Counterpoint: Bill Snyder

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

Do you even care if your FIU? Worst case you...go back to pretty much being FIU

Are you kidding? This is the city of Miami we are talking about. We prefer to win with scandal than without it. If there is a recruiting trip without strippers and blow is it actually a recruiting trip?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacemonkey57 posted:

but I feel like Jim Tressel was trending down around 60 since he was really lording over an absolute poo poo Big Ten.

I get the feeling this was less his age and more that he could not get away from playing "The punter is the most important member on our team" Tresselball. He was playing for B1G championships and Rose Bowl bids, and the game started passing him by, ultimately culminating in Urban destroying him in the 06 championship. Ohio State's always had talented teams, I don't think anyone would argue that, but christ they were boring to watch and like you said, it didn't help that the rest of the conference was garbage at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

LeeMajors posted:

Isn't Oregon floating around the idea of 10 mil to get a crazy good coach to come there?

• Locked thread