Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stinky_Pete posted:

The thing about Stein voters is that if they just stayed home instead, Democrats wouldn't scold them, so think about the reward signals here, like at least they came out to vote on local stuff

The Green Party is all about making the most uninformed decisions imaginable, so I'm not really happy about them voting in local elections, either

We complain about libertarians but lifers in the Green Party are just as bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Strawman posted:

So you came to argue against a non-existent strawman of a centrist democrat in a forum mainly populated by people on the left?

He now, I'm a strawman of a centrist democrat! Also, post/name combo, etc

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

QuarkJets posted:

The Green Party is all about making the most uninformed decisions imaginable, so I'm not really happy about them voting in local elections, either

I think Greens get a bit of a pass sometimes because, despite being uniformly uninformed flaky dunces, they usually are at least motivated by trying to make the world a better place (though they usually find the worst ways to attempt it), whereas libertarians are just trying to enrich themselves and gently caress everyone else. Not that we shouldn't make fun of them too, of course.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

WrenP-Complete posted:

He's still making some weird grammar errors with have- and does- constructions and there's something wrong with dependent clauses. I'll need to do something filter-y to allow him on Twitter without him going the way of poor Tay. He's still getting into arguments on Mises.org but I haven't seen JRodefeld OG.

It seems appropriate that a libertarian robot has trouble with anything dependent.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Strawman posted:

So you came to argue against a non-existent strawman of a centrist democrat in a forum mainly populated by people on the left?

We're all ruthless totalitarian Stalinists here, didn't you get the memo?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

paragon1 posted:

We're all ruthless totalitarian Stalinists here, didn't you get the memo?

PUT DOWN THE GUN

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MikeCrotch posted:

The whole concept of the Senate as an intentionally unrepresentative upper house is one of those ideas that sounded neat on paper in the 18th century but is horrible in practice today.

In the UK we are laughing at the fact that the House of Lords, the most undemocratic institution in the Western world, is somehow keeping the government in check from doing crazy stuff like removing the requirement for local councils to provide any kind of support for victims of child abuse.

Hilariously, isn't that the ideal of the House of Lords working as intended? In that they're supposed to, as theoretical vassals of the Crown, be looking out for those they are responsible for?

I know the above statement has absolutely nothing to do with the actual intent and function of the Lords, but still.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

GunnerJ posted:

PUT DOWN THE GUN

"Now you're immune to rubella."

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Liquid Communism posted:

Hilariously, isn't that the ideal of the House of Lords working as intended? In that they're supposed to, as theoretical vassals of the Crown, be looking out for those they are responsible for?

I know the above statement has absolutely nothing to do with the actual intent and function of the Lords, but still.

Theoretically everyone is supposed to look out for the common good, but I think both the Senate and the House of Lords as part of their justification claim to have a longer-term view than the lower house which is more quickly shifted by the winds of politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

That is part of the point of the lords, yes, they're not elected and are thus not beholden to anybody so they can do what they like, it makes them weirdly good on specific issues like "not banning everything" and "not passing terrible legislation out of ideologically motivated spite" that populist governments like to do instead of actually governing.

They're supposed to be veteran statesmen (or rich people, which is basically the same thing historically) and thus they are given reign to scrutinize the lower house without having to worry much about anything else. They're like an old, crusty, living, coke and hooker addled constitution in a way.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

That is part of the point of the lords, yes, they're not elected and are thus not beholden to anybody so they can do what they like, it makes them weirdly good on specific issues like "not banning everything" and "not passing terrible legislation out of ideologically motivated spite" that populist governments like to do instead of actually governing.

They're supposed to be veteran statesmen (or rich people, which is basically the same thing historically) and thus they are given reign to scrutinize the lower house without having to worry much about anything else. They're like an old, crusty, living, coke and hooker addled constitution in a way.

It is amazing how useful it is to have a part of the government that cares about what will happen next week is.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

I'm pretty sure they just check the D candidate

Do you have some fun examples to share?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stinky_Pete posted:

I'm pretty sure they just check the D candidate

Do you have some fun examples to share?

Nothing anecdotal, just all of the cringeworthy poo poo that Jill Stein said and did during the 2016 campaign and the Green Party platform, which is a delightful mix of contradictions, vagueries, and counterproductive nonsense

At one point Jill Stein said that nuclear power plants are the same as nuclear weapons, as in they are literally nuclear bombs just waiting to explode into a mushroom cloud, and a bunch of people on Twitter became upset at her for saying something so stupid. And then she doubled down on the idea like a month later

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
It's sort of useless criticizing the only visible leftist party in the USA for pandering to the fringes, when the country is specifically designed to make voting for a leftist a fringe behavior. (Useless even relative to literally any possible opinion about the Green Party, I mean.) If you want the democrats to be anything other than center-right trash, delegitimizing leftist parties to the point where they exist only to let democrats punch left is a bad plan.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 16, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mornacale posted:

It's sort of useless criticizing the only visible leftist party in the USA for pandering to the fringes, when the country is specifically designed to make voting for a leftist a fringe behavior. (Useless even relative to literally any possible opinion about the Green Party, I mean.) If you want the democrats to be anything other than center-right trash, delegitimizing leftist parties to the point where they exist only to let democrats punch left is a bad plan.

The Green Party isn't a leftist party, it's an anti-science party. They delegitimized themselves by writing a platform that mandates organic farming, bans nuclear medicine, and is "just asking questions" about 9/11

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

OwlFancier posted:

Remember when the House of Lords was the biggest parliamentary body in the world because it was totally full of people born into the position? Good times, good times.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Remember when the House of Lords was the biggest parliamentary body in the world because it was totally full of people born into the position? Good times, good times.

JRodimus Prime posted:

You could never morally justify a punishment that exceeds the extent of human rights.

And let's be real here, you would welcome a libertarian who is starving.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

WrenP-Complete posted:

And let's be real here, you would welcome a libertarian who is starving.

Yes JRod, yes I would.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

The Green Party isn't a leftist party, it's an anti-science party. They delegitimized themselves by writing a platform that mandates organic farming, bans nuclear medicine, and is "just asking questions" about 9/11

I did a ctrl+F on their platform and can't find any of those things

I see "Subsidize transition to organic agriculture," though

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

I see "shut down nuclear power plants," but am not informed enough to know if that bans nuclear medicine. But I know enough to know shutting down nuclear power plants, regardless of impact on nuclear medicine, is not what I want.

https://www.greenparty.org/Platform.php

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

WrenP-Complete posted:

I see "shut down nuclear power plants," but am not informed enough to know if that bans nuclear medicine. But I know enough to know shutting down nuclear power plants, regardless of impact on nuclear medicine, is not what I want.

https://www.greenparty.org/Platform.php

I'd have to assume nuclear medicine would also follow. If they want to shut down nuclear power plants, guarantee they would also apply that to reactors meant for producing particular radioactive sources which are used in nuclear medicine.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I like nuclear power but I don't think it should be our end game.

What is nuclear medicine? At first I thought QuarkJets meant any medicine involving the nucleus of the cell, which made me incredulous and distrustful of the testimony

It is like radiation treatment for cancer?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

What is nuclear medicine? At first I thought QuarkJets meant any medicine involving the nucleus of the cell, which made me incredulous and distrustful of the testimony

It is like radiation treatment for cancer?

Nuclear medicine is when radioactive materials are used to diagnose/determine severity of/treat diseases.

So a common example is swallowing contrast fluid and then having tests. It also includes radiation treatments.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 16, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
One treatment for hyper thyroidism involves having the patient ingest a radioactive substance, as another example.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Stinky_Pete posted:

Well technically I agree. Fusion should be the end game. But most of the Alternet types I see who want a clear alternative to nuclear power won't shut up about wind and solar. Which are all perfectly fine as supplements to nuke, but they can't handle the heavy lifting because a) wind isn't a reliable option everywhere and b) building enough solar to do what nukes can do would have a waaaay bigger environmental footprint than a single power plant.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I think the energy out to energy invested ratio for solar is 2:1, and presumably nuclear is much higher.

Oh right, I can look it up. Got this from Wikipedia

Difference isn't as stark as I thought, but nuke still looks around 10:1, which is big in terms of "how much oil do you need to build something without emissions." I think we deffo want to (in general) build the nuclear plants to power the solar factories if we want to minimize long run emissions. I don't see a way to transition to no-greenhouse liquid fuels, so I'm glad we're figuring out electric vehicles. But I don't know if we have a due date on non-gasoline construction equipment.

It's pretty interesting to see the return on oil declining over the decades, since the more of a well is extracted already, the more you have to fight gravity and the less help you have from the oil's own pressure.

I wonder what role that has in people feeling like their children don't have as good opportunities as they did.

Also, fuckin' hydro! What are the barriers to more hydro?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah, I think the energy out to energy invested ratio for solar is 2:1, and presumably nuclear is much higher.

Oh right, I can look it up. Got this from Wikipedia

Difference isn't as stark as I thought, but nuke still looks around 10:1, which is big in terms of "how much oil do you need to build something without emissions." I think we deffo want to (in general) build the nuclear plants to power the solar factories if we want to minimize long run emissions. I don't see a way to transition to no-greenhouse liquid fuels, so I'm glad we're figuring out electric vehicles. But I don't know if we have a due date on non-gasoline construction equipment.

It's pretty interesting to see the return on oil declining over the decades, since the more of a well is extracted already, the more you have to fight gravity and the less help you have from the oil's own pressure.

I wonder what role that has in people feeling like their children don't have as good opportunities as they did.

I invite you to the Energy Generation megathread to discuss this and other related questions! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076&pagenumber=1

(not attempting to backseat mod, just trying to keep my conversations orderly)

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 16, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Stinky_Pete posted:

In short

1: You can only do it where there's suitable sites
2. It really fucks up the local ecosystem bad and has big NIMBY problems

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Seed: "alternative energy"

JRodimus Prime posted:

What would YOU do to fill the gap?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What I want is an orbiting solar power station that beams down power via microwave or radio (or really any frequency which our atmosphere is largely transparent to).

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Nitrousoxide posted:

What I want is an orbiting solar power station that beams down power via microwave or radio (or really any frequency which our atmosphere is largely transparent to).

If I learned anything from SimCity, it's that those will level a neighborhood when they miss. :flame:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

xergm posted:

If I learned anything from SimCity, it's that those will level a neighborhood when they miss. :flame:

Hey, that dude told you that you'd regret cutting funding, but did you listen.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hey, that dude told you that you'd regret cutting funding, but did you listen.

Yes, because my roads turned to poo poo without public funding, and I couldn't put out the microwave plant fires with 0% fire funding. Aren't taxes great?

Edit:
Libertarian SimCity would be the one for SNES, where the cheat for maximum money involved setting all taxes and services to 0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GEFtE1uGPY&t=101s

xergm fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 16, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

xergm posted:

The rectenna would be enormous so the amount of energy hitting each square meter is actually pretty small, and out in the middle of farmland/desert. You could actually grow crops underneath it because it can have plenty of holes for visible light to pass through while still capturing the longer wavelength microwaves.

https://www.wired.com/2008/09/visionary-beams/

Thankfully it would not cut a swath of destruction through the center of a city.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Thankfully it would not cut a swath of destruction through the center of a city.

Uhh yes! Thankfully! We certainly wouldn't want anything like that to happen, no sir.

*quietly slides files labelled "Project Inferno" under other papers on my desk*

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Nitrousoxide posted:

No, that's the highway planning commision's job. :v:

Joking aside, space based power is a pipe-dream in a libertarian world. Something on the sheer scale of a space based power collection platform would be a massive public works project headed by a government and paid for by taxes.

The ISS alone is the most expensive man-made thing in existence, and this would probably surpass that in scale by a significant amount

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

xergm posted:

No, that's the highway planning commision's job. :v:

Joking aside, space based power is a pipe-dream in a libertarian world. Something on the sheer scale of a space based power collection platform would be a massive public works project headed by a government and paid for by taxes.

The ISS alone is the most expensive man-made thing in existence, and this would probably surpass that in scale by a significant amount

Launch costs would need to get down or it would need to be made in situ for it to be profitable, that is for sure, but the tech for it is largely already here.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Space-based solar is hella cool, but the hard void is a pretty unforgiving environment and you'd be replacing panels way more often up there than if they were just down here on Earth. Also building terrestrial power storage for when the sun's not out is much cheaper than launch costs for anything.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah Earth's gravity well is a real motherfucker for getting anything done in space efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stinky_Pete posted:

Maybe you're looking at some other green party? The Green Party that ran Jill Stein as a candidate has all of those things, and more.

Page 42 they want to mandate a switch agriculture to local, organic farms

quote:

a. Convert U.S farm and ranchland to organic practices.
b. Switch to localfood production and distribution.

Page 45 they call for the closure of all nuclear reactors and a stop-use on any technology that produces nuclear waste, which includes nuclear medicine

quote:

2. The Green Party calls for the early retirement of nuclear
power reactors as soon as possible (in no more than five
years), and for a phase-out of other technologies that use
or produce nuclear waste. These technologies include non-
commercial nuclear reactors, reprocessing facilities, nu-
clear waste incinerators, food irradiators, and all commer-
cial and military uses of depleted uranium.

(coincidentally there's no mention of devices that produce ionizing radiation without a nuclear decaying source, since that's considered OK for organic seed producers who want to play the genetic modification game without the negative stigma of transgenesis; to no one's surprise, ionizing radiation is cool if you're also a big donor)

Page 16 they ask whether 9/11 was an inside job

quote:

1. The Green Party calls for a complete, thorough, impartial,

and independent investigation of the terrorist attacks of
September 11, 2001, including the role of the administra-
tion of George W, Bush, various U.S. based corporations
and interests, and other nations and third parties.

When I first read it in October there was definitely an item in there about making naturopathy and homeopathy eligible for Medicare but now I can't find it so maybe that was taken out. Not the 9/11 truther poo poo though lol