Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

i want to make a "worksafe" version of cloud-to-butt that changes "the cloud" to "a server or servers somewhere"
"someone else's computer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

"the cloud" to "someone else's computer" efb

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why is walking a networked directory so impossibly slow

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bloody posted:

why is walking a networked directory so impossibly slow

are you using nfs? is it a big directory? are you doing a stat on every file? I have known this to be a bad combination because apparently it's not optimised in any way despite being an obvious case to expect

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am recursively searching for files in a directory with names that match a pattern and either this directory is several orders of magnitude larger than i thought (it is pretty big & deep to be fair) or the throughput on this is literally tens of directories per second

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it doesnt help that .net's builtin directory walker (Directory.EnumerateDirectories/EnumerateFiles) fails terribly if you don't have read access to everything in the directory/subdirectories

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

alt+prtsc is your frieond

scrot -s is real good. also I don't have a prtsc key :ohdear:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

scrot -s is real good. also I don't have a prtsc key :ohdear:
what if you don't have a scrot

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

scrote -s is real good. also I don't have a prtsc key :ohdear:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

anthonypants posted:

what if you don't have a scrot

lol have fun not having something stuck to your leg on hot days!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Got a surprise email just now that effective tomorrow until some undetermined time in the future (months) there is a company-wide coding freeze so that the big "fix our ancient, vast, tangled, and awful IT product suite for the entire company" project doesn't have to deal with moving goalposts. Good news is my job is not in danger.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ThePeavstenator posted:

company-wide coding freeze

ahahahahahaha

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

the best part about scrot is that it names all its file i.e. 2016-09-28-161423_690x213_scrot.png so you get to explain to people constantly why your screenshot is named _scrot.png

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i mean that and its real good at screenshotting stuff

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ThePeavstenator posted:

Got a surprise email just now that effective tomorrow until some undetermined time in the future (months) there is a company-wide coding freeze so that the big "fix our ancient, vast, tangled, and awful IT product suite for the entire company" project doesn't have to deal with moving goalposts. Good news is my job is not in danger.

stop-the-world garbage collection

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i once worked at a place that had a two week code freeze after each release during which we were to work on refactoring and cleanup, but were not allowed to make any changes to the code. i eventually gave up on trying to understand what this was supposed to consist of and just accepted the two week break every 6 months.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

JawnV6 posted:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

JawnV6 posted:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

btw this is a fortune-500 company with thousands of employees that does not make or sell software externally

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

i'm not sure what a "coding freeze" even is, but it sounds like everyone would create local branches simultaneously and then when it ends you'd be paralysed by conflicting pull requests??

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it sounds like time id spend loving off to side projects or 'working from home'

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Gul Banana posted:

i'm not sure what a "coding freeze" even is, but it sounds like everyone would create local branches simultaneously and then when it ends you'd be paralysed by conflicting pull requests??

If you try to write even a single line of code a nun from the local catholic school runs up to your desk and raps you on the knuckles with a ruler

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
we also have a freeze but I think it has something to do with preventing insider trading or something like that

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Gul Banana posted:

trying to put my charitable hat on, you wouldn't just be hiding coding work from view, you'd actually put the IDE away and work on the other collateral in your world

like looking at the JIRA backlog and taking a hard look if it's never going to get done so that it's closer to reality
looking at the test suite and building up things that would've caught huge issues earlier
looking at integration with other teams/business groups and taking the time to stake out "this is yours, this is ours, this is how we delineate in the future"

that's one thing I miss about silicon work, when you finally say OK GO there's 8 weeks until first samples are back, it's mostly a time for pre-si to take the vacations that have been denied but it's also when the postmortems and other work like that starts

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

trying to put my charitable hat on, you wouldn't just be hiding coding work from view, you'd actually put the IDE away and work on the other collateral in your world

like looking at the JIRA backlog and taking a hard look if it's never going to get done so that it's closer to reality
looking at the test suite and building up things that would've caught huge issues earlier
looking at integration with other teams/business groups and taking the time to stake out "this is yours, this is ours, this is how we delineate in the future"

that's one thing I miss about silicon work, when you finally say OK GO there's 8 weeks until first samples are back, it's mostly a time for pre-si to take the vacations that have been denied but it's also when the postmortems and other work like that starts
my first thought was "documentation"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Finster Dexter posted:

lmao if you code six hours a day

I've gotten about 2 solid hours of coding done today, probably gonna coast the rest of the day. I might scaffold my MVC views, though. iono

same. i got a basic grid working in mvc6 with some plugin, tried to get filtering working, got some bullshit javascript error and couldn't find the answer by googling it so i gave up

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

also we have freezes every 3 months ish but you can usually release anyway if you have a good reason like "the US election is not going to have a knock on effect on [internal DMS] UI bugs please let me release this"

but there's always one at christmas because everyone is away where you need CIO approval or something and without fail, the end users panic and demand we do a load of stuff just before and somebody somewhere always fucks up. one year was pretty funny though because a user deleted like 2500 records by mistake on day 1 of the freeze and we went "oh well our hands are tied, guess you'll need to enter them manually or wait until january lol".

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

gdocs is horrible. webapps are all horrible.

also google docs is a good way to hand all your company's intellectual property to google on a silver platter

they have to have access to the documents so they can index it to show the right ads, don't they? they couldn't possibly ever do anything else with information they extract

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
if i was goggle i'd have someone who just sat & watched search queries from every big competitor's range

bing couldn't possibly staff that lol

eschaton posted:

they couldn't possibly ever do anything else with information they extract
id think that would invalidate some part of ISO27001, if that was at all a meaningful thing to say

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
google docs doesn't have ads

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

lol that's when we start working on the next iteration or start taping out other stuff

our process is p lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gul Banana posted:

a code freeze way back in the day was when a release was considered complete and ready to be shipped.

Nowdays a code freeze is when management doesn't know why none of their 1000 critical items are done so they stop all work (except the really critical stuff) until they can figure out whats going on.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
learning typescript now. its better, but i have to say that it seems odd to me that theyd write a language specifically to take away the weirdness of js but then still hold onto stuff like the weird usage of colons in function signatures and poo poo like that. if youre going to make a good language that transpiles to js, why only take me half way in the name of preserving aesthetic similarity to js?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plorkyeran posted:

google docs doesn't have ads

isn't it widely understood that the ads google shows you all over the web are tailored based on the content you've viewed anywhere to which google has access, including Gmail and presumably Google Docs?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

learning typescript now. its better, but i have to say that it seems odd to me that theyd write a language specifically to take away the weirdness of js but then still hold onto stuff like the weird usage of colons in function signatures and poo poo like that. if youre going to make a good language that transpiles to js, why only take me half way in the name of preserving aesthetic similarity to js?

others tried to do more but JavaScript jockeys freaked out because it wasn't sufficiently JavaScript for them

it's the same logic used to justify Java having a C++ style syntax instead of a Smalltalk like syntax like Objective-C did, and it really reaped a lot of rewards there by avoiding that immediate and superficial objection

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

eschaton posted:

isn't it widely understood that the ads google shows you all over the web are tailored based on the content you've viewed anywhere to which google has access, including Gmail and presumably Google Docs?
apparently not

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

eschaton posted:

afaict only the free versions feed into what ads you see. i see ads suspiciously related to some random inbound email i got on a personal account all the time, but i've never noticed it happening for emails i got on a work account or "private" docs. obviously they still have all of that data and you'd be dumb to give them anything too critical without a contract significantly stronger than what the normal tos gives you, but they do appear to have at least some minimal separation

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

others tried to do more but JavaScript jockeys freaked out because it wasn't sufficiently JavaScript for them

it's the same logic used to justify Java having a C++ style syntax instead of a Smalltalk like syntax like Objective-C did, and it really reaped a lot of rewards there by avoiding that immediate and superficial objection

god ur making me want to implement a mumps-to-javascript transpiler, but i have no idea how to even begin implementing a full b+ tree in js. maybe someone's already written a lib whose syntax i can wrap in mumps syntax?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

you can't meaningfully implement a b+ tree in a language that doesn't give you any control over memory layout. you can write all of the algorithms and such, but if the end result doesn't have your leaves in contiguous blocks of memory it's all sort of pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

god ur making me want to implement a mumps-to-javascript transpiler, but i have no idea how to even begin implementing a full b+ tree in js. maybe someone's already written a lib whose syntax i can wrap in mumps syntax?

Plorkyeran posted:

you can't meaningfully implement a b+ tree in a language that doesn't give you any control over memory layout. you can write all of the algorithms and such, but if the end result doesn't have your leaves in contiguous blocks of memory it's all sort of pointless

you totally have control over memory layout

you just write a little stack machine in JS that uses a bunch of giant arrays for its memory, and the target your compiler at the stack machine, not directly at JS

• Locked thread