Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Chev posted:

While there's a small chance that could be true, it's actually much simpler for every dev and artist involved in that setup to have a fixed environment, animate the plane through it and attach the fight scene to the plane. And really, that should be equivalent, but in practice there's some subtle differences and possible bugs, depending on whether the devs were incompetent or not. And, well, the developent of SFV hasn't exactly been a showcase for competence, so that kind of bug is quite plausible.

They would have to go out of there way to program the stage to move though. Proof or its bs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://streamable.com/wz9m

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Vega needs to be buffed, I was playing him last night and he is bad.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

We Know Catheters posted:

I was testing Urein's usual combo in the corner and it was having issues, could be because of the moving background messing up timing. Also, I love this stupid game.

If you're talking about his fireball/tackle juggles, those always have different timings in the corner on any stage.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

CaptCommy posted:

If you're talking about his fireball/tackle juggles, those always have different timings in the corner on any stage.

I may be wrong but that level makes me sick.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Can anyone here provide short, dead simple, Bronze league strats/tips for characters? I was telling Hurth my way of playing Laura and I ended up with this...

quote:

Use her v-skill dash to mess up other people's spacing, if you hold it down afterwards she does an overhead wheel kick thing with lame recovery

Press stand mk a lot for poking, stand hk for crush countering (idk what to follow with, probably the fireball mp special)

You only really have one special move to worry about : fireball motion mp, then mash p or k (it's the elbow dash that turns into a throw move)
- Learn to confirm this move off of cr. mk or cr. hp, which are both super easy, reach real far and I'm pretty sure they both combo off of jump mk....which is a great cross up

That's all you gotta do against most people. Just dash around and play super simple. EX elbow move gets armor if someones being a button masher but I like her super a whole lot (2 fb motions+k, dashes forward and does a throw)

Fanciness:

fireball motion with hp does an anti-air throw, great for discouraging too much jumping from an oppo
fwd+hp+hp does a two hit move with bad recovery, but it moves pretty far forward and you can confirm the 2nd hit into the anti air throw for MASSIVE DAMAGE
Her fireballs (fireball motion backwards+punch) seem too slow to me to use in the heat of battle, but they make for great meatys against wake ups and if you get room/time to toss one they're fun and don't cause a lot of hit-stun if they land
And finally she's got the command throw if someone is blocking a lot, v-skill dash->command throw is great if you're feeling cheeky

Which might not even be "right", and definitely isn't complete even for what combos into the mp-elbow special, but that's been my way to keep hovering around 1000 points with her. Can anyone make a similiar tiny guide for people who just want to start the character and have the right mindset/base to get solid and then later go looking for more advanced stuff?

Edit: I could do one for FANG if anyone wants it

Edit2: I assume most people here probably know every character better than me, but I'd like to be able to branch out beyond Laura, Fang and Ryu and I do a lot better with written guides and advice than youtube vids.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

as a long time bronze league analyst the essence of bronze league is to play ken. tatsu from full screen cause its safe. hold back and only ever hit b.mp b.hp xx dp to combo. you won't win that much but you will be very bronze league

dunno about laura but i bet you'll beat me when we play next (hopefully this weekend maybe?)

my bronze leaguer's cammy strat: always be dive kicking when not in. when in always be frame trapping to spiral arrow. when spiral arrow connects always be light cannonballing to light divekick for crossup oki. works pretty well and the last part causes wake up dp's to wiff which is very very funny vs my fellow scrub tier competition

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 11, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I would actually take an even more spelled out, what to do as ken. Ken confuses me in this game but he seems real good in trash league.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

With laura her oki is the most important thing to learn, because it's pretty much the only thing she does well.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Are her throws the best paths to a knockdown?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Are her throws the best paths to a knockdown?

Its a combination of throws, elbow charge, and sweeps. They all matter, and you have to learn how to use them. If you just go for throws to generate oki opportunities, you'll get figured out pretty quickly.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Most of the time im already 3/4ths through a set before I start noticing/causing someone blocking enough to eat throws. Idk if its me or what but its a button fest compared to 4.

Another reason I like fang a lot now is that cr.mk's followed by cr.mp and the hand dash move are a huuuge block string compared to most poo poo and it opens people up for throws super fast.

Edit: can certain moves get in between fangs cr.mk's? Someone jabbed out of it with boxer recently and I couldn't tell if I was loving up, we had lag or maybe no one else ever does that.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 11, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Test it in training mode

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is there any other game that can only update itself while it is running? Why would anyone who hasnt played in weeks turn it on when its 10 mins of waiting to go online?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Is there any other game that can only update itself while it is running? Why would anyone who hasnt played in weeks turn it on when its 10 mins of waiting to go online?

looks like esports, eternal fame, and glory aren't up your ally if you aren't rising up on a daily basis

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Real hurthling! posted:

MMORPGs from 15 years ago

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Waiting in queue for WoW servers is probably the low point of my gaming career

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I learned this week that the little icon on the match up screen tells you if you are p2p or working with a server. 2 dots vs 3 dots. All the matches i ever get these days are 2 dots, did they stealth shut down the rollback servers?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
You only got 3-dots if your router wasn't allowing direct connections AFAIK, related to NAT I think.

Happened to me twice and I had to fiddle with my router to fix it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

We Know Catheters posted:

I may be wrong but that level makes me sick.

The game makes most people sick so that's to be expected.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

This is no joke. I got on last night since the first DLC character came out. I was gonna buy a chun outfit and juri with some real money because I have several friends that are waaaaay back into this again. Instead, I let it update and then just turned it back off.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0dsjct9hko

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol, awesome

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

haha

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
But who can do it with delay+lag

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Juri is the only DLC character I picked up and I could never figure out what possible use qcb K had anyway

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

Juri is the only DLC character I picked up and I could never figure out what possible use qcb K had anyway

Ex version

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

In Training posted:

It goes through fireballs, it's to punish fireballs. You can punish them from almost full screen with hk version. Every version but ex is punishable easily so using it for any other reason than punishing a fireball is inviting a loss. I don't really know why it being throwable is a big thing, you could throw ex-version if someone throws it out because it's safe I guess.

You can grab birdie grab in much the same way except it's a lot more useful considering he recovers too fast for most neutral jumps on the way down.

https://a.pomf.cat/gowvuo.webm

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 15, 2016

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wow, those custumes... At first I thought that was a screen from that chinese knockoff fighter.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chev posted:

Wow, those custumes... At first I thought that was a screen from that chinese knockoff fighter.

i was surprised they went with a skirt for her halloween costume given the models pose but for sfv its par for the course to have really goofy looks.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I like the crazy retarded off the wall costumes.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

why are you buying costumes idiot!

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

General Morden posted:

why are you buying costumes idiot!

I'm enjoying the game as well.

In fact, the only fighting games I don't like are 3rd strike and skullgirls.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Of all things to criticize SFV for, stupid DLC costumes is one of the most idiotic.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

dont spend $25 for cosmetic dlc

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

General Morden posted:

dont spend $25 for cosmetic dlc

why

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Have the nostalgia costumes been released yet?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Cause it encourages them to keep working on that stuff instead of fixing the game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

zelah posted:

Cause it encourages them to keep working on that stuff instead of fixing the game.

You assume they will fix the game if there's no cash inflow tho.

Just buy the dumb clothes if you can and want to mang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Capcom executive standing sweating over the control panel, trying to decide on whether to hit the big red button of either ZERO INPUT LAG PATCH or the SURFIN RYU COSTUME