Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Zudgemud posted:

Or they can simply make them all easier to recruit so you can fight it somehow. Right now the AI can belch out agents before you can, and usually has significantly more of them too, which makes the early to mid game a tedious whack-a-mole as you run around with your one or two agents desperately trying to assassinate the annoying shits burning your buildings, spreading corruption, diminishing growth and causing unrest (four agent actions the AI itself is largely immune to).

Might I recommend my 100% amazing Adventuring Party series of mods? They were made for just making armies of heroes, but work just as well for unlocking recruitment right away so you can have fun playing with them.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=718531216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Zudgemud posted:

Or they can simply make them all easier to recruit so you can fight it somehow. Right now the AI can belch out agents before you can, and usually has significantly more of them too, which makes the early to mid game a tedious whack-a-mole as you run around with your one or two agents desperately trying to assassinate the annoying shits burning your buildings, spreading corruption, diminishing growth and causing unrest (four agent actions the AI itself is largely immune to).

I can fight it easy, with all races, on very hard campaigns. Haven't tried legendary. You just need to build them early and often. It means the player has to change his priorities and plan around them, delay some of the later units in favor of agents. I understand some people don't want to do this. Mods.

If you change the balance and make agents easier to recruit for the player, you can clown on the AI even easier. This is not a good option for an already overly easy game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZearothK posted:

Chariots have been historically disappointing in Total War games, they require much more micro than cavalry and are still more likely to get bogged down and killed. You can do some amazing things with them when attacking moving blobs of spread out infantry (I am thinking Rome 2 here), but most of the time they are not worth the money.

chariots were basically tanks in rome 2

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Tomb Kings are going to be all about chariots right? That will be fun

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They also have a bunch of units that can ambush the enemy from under the ground/sand and the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dtkozl posted:

I can fight it easy, with all races, on very hard campaigns. Haven't tried legendary. You just need to build them early and often. It means the player has to change his priorities and plan around them, delay some of the later units in favor of agents. I understand some people don't want to do this. Mods.

If you change the balance and make agents easier to recruit for the player, you can clown on the AI even easier. This is not a good option for an already overly easy game.

Yes it is easy to fight it if you dedicate your game to fighting it at the cost of the fun part of the game, actual battles with interesting units. Which is exactly what makes it a poorly implemented game feature, much like how an auto resolve that disproportionately favors the player gives a disincentive to playing actual battles. If you think that agent offensive capabilities on the campaign map make the player too OP just put bigger price tags on hostile territory actions for the player or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Randarkman posted:

They also have a bunch of units that can ambush the enemy from under the ground/sand and the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders.
Some pretty sick looking monsters too. They seem like a pretty flexible faction, more like the Empire than the Draculas, from what I can tell.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Zudgemud posted:

Yes it is easy to fight it if you dedicate your game to fighting it at the cost of the fun part of the game, actual battles with interesting units. Which is exactly what makes it a poorly implemented game feature, much like how an auto resolve that disproportionately favors the player gives a disincentive to playing actual battles. If you think that agent offensive capabilities on the campaign map make the player too OP just put bigger price tags on hostile territory actions for the player or something.

Yeah I'm sorry but I disagree totally. I like a strong autoresolve because the battle AI is terrible and being forced to constantly play battles I never have a chance at losing is not fun for me. Figuring out interesting ways to do thing with the different hero abilities on the strategy map helps mitigate some of the boredom of playing the same fight over and over and using different abilities can open up fights that normally I'd just spend turns avoiding until I had a superior force.

I don't even understand your point of view. If you enjoy fighting battles, how is there ever a disincentive since you can always fight them? With the current game design it is already always better to fight since you take less casualties compared to autoresolve. Your way would just force people to fight battles they don't want to since all of a sudden they *have* to.

As for higher price tags, my original response was about spamming heroes. If you increase the cost of hero actions and increase the amount of heroes, then you just have a lot of heroes sitting around. Why bother.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

This is how I handle agents on legendary:

1) Wait for them to suicide trying to assault one of my armies or garrisons.
2) repeat.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Zudgemud posted:

It's honestly not that bad if you're the least bit competent and plan for it early. Literally build one aggressive agent building, train some dudes and level them up by doing anything. It's fun assassinating and damaging other armies, it adds depth, and stuff to the campaign map. Some Agents are super useful at improving economy and the buildings That allow their recruiment usually come with a host of other benefits. I play on very hard and have beaten most campaigns and have never had more than one of my good dudes assassinated. Having an agent in the early game also gives you so many more options early on.

So: It adds depth and options to early game, the building necessary to make them are otherwise beneficial, it's a strategy game and so you should be planning, and it's really not that bad after they nerfed it. It's another layer of strategy that isn't perfect but is manageable and can be very useful

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I used to always use mods that disabled hero actions but now I don't. It's super annoying at times, especially against greenskins who seem to pump out a trillion of them, but I do like being able to block an army to keep them from fleeing. A lot.

I'll put up with a lot of scenarios like my game last night where Belegar was only back 4 turns between successful assassinations if it means I can actually hinder and kill a loving army that would just run otherwise.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah I'm mostly okay with the agent system for most factions, because most factions have reasonable ways to recruit them. Agents for Dwarfs are poo poo though, as you can only boost your thane agent cap with a tier 4 building, and your other two with tier 5 buildings. A quicker way to get heroes dedicated to killing other agents would be preferable. Dragon-Slayers cannot come quickly enough :psydwarf:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Triskelli posted:

Yeah I'm mostly okay with the agent system for most factions, because most factions have reasonable ways to recruit them. Agents for Dwarfs are poo poo though, as you can only boost your thane agent cap with a tier 4 building, and your other two with tier 5 buildings. A quicker way to get heroes dedicated to killing other agents would be preferable. Dragon-Slayers cannot come quickly enough :psydwarf:

Are these actually being added, or is this speculation of something that should be in the game. It's insane that it usually easier for a dwarf player to outright destroy a faction than to complete an assassination grudge the "correct" way.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

I dont know posted:

It's insane that it usually easier for a dwarf player to outright destroy a faction than to complete an assassination grudge the "correct" way.

I'd like to think that this is intended. Orcs assassinate a proud dwarf lord? Exterminate all their kind.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mordja posted:

Some pretty sick looking monsters too. They seem like a pretty flexible faction, more like the Empire than the Draculas, from what I can tell.

It all depends how they're implemented. I don't think the Vampire Counts had zero ranged options on the tabletop.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

new phone who dis posted:

It all depends how they're implemented. I don't think the Vampire Counts had zero ranged options on the tabletop.

Ehhh almost. They had banshee wails, which were super short range special shooting attacks. That's... about it, if you count all the generic "Scream and kill people at short range" attacks

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

They did not have any form of missile troops.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Didn't they have lovely skeleton archers at one point or another? Maybe I'm dating myself here.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that was the not egypt skeletons

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Didn't they have lovely skeleton archers at one point or another? Maybe I'm dating myself here.

You are, since that was from back when there was just a single generic Undead faction.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mans posted:

chariots were basically tanks in rome 2

Yeah, as long as you were patient with them, kept them away from javelins, and got into a point where you could micro them well, it was not hard to rack up hundreds and hundreds of kills with Chariots. They're mostly underwhelming in Warhammer, though (to me anyway, hats off if you can make them work).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

They did. Back in 5th edition.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

They did. Back in 5th edition.
That's actually not true the 5th ed weapon options were normal hand weapon, spears, halberds, or great weapons.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's actually not true the 5th ed weapon options were normal hand weapon, spears, halberds, or great weapons.

Oh? Is it possible I'm thinking of 4th edition?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Oh? Is it possible I'm thinking of 4th edition?
Yeah when they were just the Undead faction. That's also when they had catapults. Though in 6th edition the Von Carstein could take human peasant levies including archers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've never really had trouble with agents, although I don't play any higher than Hard so maybe that's why. I'm either running agents of my own, or I exterminate their whole faction - a wall of iron and beards does the trick as Dwarfs.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Plan Z posted:

They're mostly underwhelming in Warhammer, though (to me anyway, hats off if you can make them work).

I ended up making use of them a lot as chaos, but that was mostly because of their position in the tech tree under the dick-cannons that I needed to support Sigvald. Once I got hold of evil grail knights chaos lances I never looked back.

Like all good chariots their main use was abusing those neutronium wheels of theirs and smashing anything that wasn't halberds halfway across the map to make fights for the regular warriors easier

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I guess Wood Elves aren't getting their official announcement so soon, given TW's social media has changed its banner to promote Arena this week and TW:W for Linux is coming out the next. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is arena even still around? I never see or hear anything about anybody playing it. I got up to tier 3 at release and immediately got tired of a third of all players taking a bunch of catapults and firing them into melee as well as the general leveling mechanic where levelling up a general too much put me into higher tier matches despite having no units at that tier.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Asehujiko posted:

Is arena even still around? I never see or hear anything about anybody playing it. I got up to tier 3 at release and immediately got tired of a third of all players taking a bunch of catapults and firing them into melee as well as the general leveling mechanic where levelling up a general too much put me into higher tier matches despite having no units at that tier.

i think wargaming is taking it over?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
For those with agent woes: Less OP Agents

Instead of disabling the offensive capabilities of agents it just makes it harder to chain them via agent swarming by buffing targets' "on guard" status and debuffing an agent after a successful action. So you're still going to get assaulted and assassinated but it's spread out thin over the campaign instead of having to deal with a dozen agent actions per turn. I feel it succeeds in making the agent game feel complementary to the campaign instead of a constant nuisance.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really find it strange how the agent stuff is still being brought up because after a dozen or so campaigns it doesn't really reflect my experience at all. In my current campaign, the significance of agents are Tilea spreading disorder in my back lines without declaring war. Which creates an interesting dynamic where I have to decide how and whether to fight back. I've never ever gotten in the situation of having a dozen agent actions happen each turn.

Are people declaring war on too many small powers simultaneously or something? I can see that as being significant.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Got a leaked image of the Wood Elf trailer from those contest winners on the Total War forums, with the message "The season of war approaches..."

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asehujiko posted:

the closed beta ended and the game is getting ready for release.

Wargaming is taking over and integrating it into the general wargaming client, which might attract a ton of new players, an equal ton of cyka blyats and paper gaulish legionaries.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Asehujiko posted:

The closed beta ended like 5 months ago and there's only been very sparse news updates since. Yesterday they announced that the World of Tanks folks would be publishing it so I expect more news soon.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I thought Arena was alright but it got boring playing a watered down version of Rome since there were was only Rome, Greece and barbarians. At this point they'd probably be better off converting it to Total Warhammer: Arena.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Fangz posted:

I really find it strange how the agent stuff is still being brought up because after a dozen or so campaigns it doesn't really reflect my experience at all. In my current campaign, the significance of agents are Tilea spreading disorder in my back lines without declaring war. Which creates an interesting dynamic where I have to decide how and whether to fight back. I've never ever gotten in the situation of having a dozen agent actions happen each turn.

Are people declaring war on too many small powers simultaneously or something? I can see that as being significant.

I feel like this is the general consensus of the thread and just occasionally people wander it and talk about their experience assassinated by an agent, possibly without knowledge on how to deal with them. I don't think that's unfair if they're first time players

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Anyone else just straight disappointed in Grimgors tech tree? He's the best but basically no quests or unique skills.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Affi posted:

Anyone else just straight disappointed in Grimgors tech tree? He's the best but basically no quests or unique skills.

The launch LL all feel pretty barebones to be honest. CA has said they want to go back and revamp them to make them more interesting, like the newly added LL, but that it isn't a huge development priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Is there a mod that removes the diplomatic malus for hard and sets it to the normal difficulty malus?

I like the AI having more resources to make cool armies and defenses but the diplomatic penalty is just stupid. It basically means that it's impossible to play the diplomacy game with some factions.

• Locked thread