Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Good to know, though it's a little late now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Devor posted:

I can't find recent stuff, but this gives you an idea of his schtick. He's obviously laying it on, but I enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06b-IKpehg

His current world donations make sheep instead of lucky blocks since he's doing final testing, but the previous iterations do a lucky block on a 10-second timer, except on Sundays when it's 0-delay.

"woooo!! wooo aw man my base :("

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
On that note, I don't just turn keepInventory on, I turn mobGriefing off in every game I play.
Maybe it's childish easymode or whatever but having creepers blow up something important is not fun for me.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Taffer posted:

So since CoFHCore isn't a thing anymore, what is the alternative oregen wise? Particularly the ability to override vanilla gen.

I use MMD OreSpawn and then remove other ore generation from their mod configs (see my frostburn branch for Minecraft 1.10), but I haven't done any extra configs (e.g. adding Aluminum from some mod) and just use the pre-defined ores for now.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

Clearly, your next project has to be a machine that can use /all/ of that power.

Such as Draconic Evolution's Reactor. :)

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
Apparently 1.11 is out?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

mechaet posted:

Apparently 1.11 is out?

Why the gently caress is there no news section on the minecraft website anymore? There's no official patch notes anywhere either except on the wiki. It's like minecraft itself is a mod! NO DOCUMENTATION

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Why the gently caress is there no news section on the minecraft website anymore? There's no official patch notes anywhere either except on the wiki. It's like minecraft itself is a mod! NO DOCUMENTATION

For every problem minecraft mods may have, rest assured that the original minecraft developers are in fact worse.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Holy crap, look at this mod that just came out :

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2761225-valkyrien-warfare-airships-physics-subworlds-and

With ridiculous physics like that I kind of doubt my computer could survive running it, though. That first gif on that thread, though :swoon:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

mechaet posted:

Apparently 1.11 is out?

Ahahahah, holy gently caress. I'm done trying to manage any modded poo poo until this is more stable. People can't even get their 1.10 mod versions to run without making GBS threads themselves half the time yet and here we go again splitting all the mod versions across 4 loving variants now with 1.7, 8,10 and now 11.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Ahahahah, holy gently caress. I'm done trying to manage any modded poo poo until this is more stable. People can't even get their 1.10 mod versions to run without making GBS threads themselves half the time yet and here we go again splitting all the mod versions across 4 loving variants now with 1.7, 8,10 and now 11.

Modders are just going to have to decide on a version to stick to for a while as Mojang has repeatedly stated since before 1.10's release that they are transitioning to smaller updates on shorter dev cycles. I forget the exact version number they gave, but they essentially said that if people wanted to wait to update for similar content equal to the 1.7 or 1.9 updates that they probably need to wait till 1.14/16 (as in going from 1.10 to that).

I mean, to go from 1.8 to 1.9 it took Mojang 545 days, they have to balance both types of players: those who mod and those who don't. 1.3 years (not even including bug patches after release) to wait for an update kind of sucks if you are not invested in mods, but they do understand that updating between versions sucks for modders (Mojang in the past few months has hired on additional developers to work on MC Java version and now three people of the team are involved in the modding community: Searge of MCP, RazzleberryFox of DecoCraft, ProfMobius of a ton of different mods and MCP as well, so they have plenty of people there with first hand experience of this issue).

That said, 1.9 to 1.10 and 1.10 to 1.11 both took roughly four months, so their estimate of 1.14-1.16 puts them, if they stay this course, at around 600 days, similar to what 1.8 to 1.9 took. So yeah, they are just going to have to buckle down until the actual modding community thinks that enough additional content has been added to justify moving on and personally while 1.11 adds some neat concepts, its not enough to justify updating my own projects to (unless updating is stupid easy like 1.8 to 1.10 was), this isn't a new situation and nobody should be surprised.

Here is the video they released for the patch as Mojang dislikes changelogs outside of pre-release patches. My guess is that they view this mostly as a game for children and kids don't want to read thirty pages of listed bug fixes. The video is pretty poo poo because it doesn't cover everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDOKrQBwLI

Enzer fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 15, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

StealthArcher posted:

It's trivial to update mods from 1.8.x to 1.10 and probably to 1.11. The only big leap was 1.7.10 forward, which is why the current two modded versions are 1.7.10 and 1.10.x.

Only lazy modders who are missing in action have 1.8.x exclusive versions.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Khorne posted:

It's trivial to update mods from 1.8.x to 1.10 and probably to 1.11. The only big leap was 1.7.10 forward, which is why the current two modded versions are 1.7.10 and 1.10.x.

Only lazy modders who are missing in action have 1.8.x exclusive versions.

(Azanor)

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Azanor isn't lazy, he's too industrious. I checked up on the Thaumcraft thread and found out he's redoing the mod again. On top of that he said that if Forge for 1.11 came out during that dev cycle, he'd release it for 1.11 and skip 1.10.

Meanwhile Vazkii of all people insists that updating to 1.11 is too much of a pain for no technical gain and everything could be achieved with a backport mod in the vein of Et Futurum, so I have a feeling we are going to be on 1.10 for a while.

Thaumcraft will never be for a version of MC that I'm playing again. 1.7.10 was the last time. :negative:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Fortis posted:

Azanor isn't lazy, he's too industrious. I checked up on the Thaumcraft thread and found out he's redoing the mod again. On top of that he said that if Forge for 1.11 came out during that dev cycle, he'd release it for 1.11 and skip 1.10.

Meanwhile Vazkii of all people insists that updating to 1.11 is too much of a pain for no technical gain and everything could be achieved with a backport mod in the vein of Et Futurum, so I have a feeling we are going to be on 1.10 for a while.

Thaumcraft will never be for a version of MC that I'm playing again. 1.7.10 was the last time. :negative:

It's worth spinning up a quick 1.8 version on, like, the Curse Launcher and playing with just thaumcraft. The 1.8 thaumcraft is really cool.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's worth spinning up a quick 1.8 version on, like, the Curse Launcher and playing with just thaumcraft. The 1.8 thaumcraft is really cool.

Oh, yeah, I actually did. I got up to the grapple beam wand focus and it was amazing.
Unfortunately for me it only ever feels really worthwhile to play on my server, even if my friends don't play nearly as often as I do, and that's on 1.10. I don't know WHY I can only seem to care if I'm playing on the server, but every single player world I create ends up getting boring.

So once my server was on 1.9.4 I was waiting for Azanor to update it to that, then 1.10... and then I read the Thaumcraft thread.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm getting the Minecraft itch again, and I hate it. It's never not disappointing. Can anyone recommend a good modded server (preferably goon-run but who the gently caress cares) that doesn't have the same tired end-goal of endless automation and progress bar chains? It's the same things that seem to be inextricably linked to Minecraft that keep me from coming back more often, just endless

:awesome: Hnnng my power output and autofarms

and it makes me want to die after the millionth time, every single time. Is there a server where I can build a modest house, maybe gently caress around with some magic doodads, and not have the server come to a lurching halt every half hour because some turbonerd has a million machines chunckloaded and running at once at all hours of the day?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

lolmer posted:

I use MMD OreSpawn and then remove other ore generation from their mod configs (see my frostburn branch for Minecraft 1.10), but I haven't done any extra configs (e.g. adding Aluminum from some mod) and just use the pre-defined ores for now.

Looks like this mod is only capable of generating groups in a perfectly spherical shape. Main reason I wanted to use it was to replace big chunks of the underground with different types of stone in different layers, so that... kinda sucks. But there doesn't seem to be an alternative and it works well enough for ore, so oh well. Thanks.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Man, PSI is a pretty sweet mod. Vazkii is pretty much my favorite.

I just programmed a spell where I shoot a gun and it flings me into the air. What's not to love?

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 15, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

Alchemical duplication?

This was the path where I was behind. I think I had to research Arcane Door first and then duplication showed up. From there, certus duplication came up.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If anyone's looking for a fairly neat Survival-y HQM modpack, The Aftermath on AT Launcher is cool so far. You wake up in a derelict space station and are trying to figure out how to make it self-sustaining again, what happened, and to not die to mobs that spawn outside of the first area or two. Fair warning, if you hate Enviromine and dealing with Heat, Water, and Air you'll hate the pack, but so far those have been concerns that are more "oh god I'm on a limited time clock to get things done" and less "oh boy I need to tediously farm leaf blocks for an eternity" the way they were when I played Crash Landing.

It's also really atmospheric, but default the music is turned off (leave it that way!) and hearing monsters scuffling in the walls is decently spooky because you only start with a max of 5 hearts. The only thing I don't like is that your inventory is really limited to start, but I'll admit that it has helped add to the atmosphere that I am alone and screwed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magres posted:

If anyone's looking for a fairly neat Survival-y HQM modpack, The Aftermath on AT Launcher is cool so far. You wake up in a derelict space station and are trying to figure out how to make it self-sustaining again, what happened, and to not die to mobs that spawn outside of the first area or two. Fair warning, if you hate Enviromine and dealing with Heat, Water, and Air you'll hate the pack, but so far those have been concerns that are more "oh god I'm on a limited time clock to get things done" and less "oh boy I need to tediously farm leaf blocks for an eternity" the way they were when I played Crash Landing.

It's also really atmospheric, but default the music is turned off (leave it that way!) and hearing monsters scuffling in the walls is decently spooky because you only start with a max of 5 hearts. The only thing I don't like is that your inventory is really limited to start, but I'll admit that it has helped add to the atmosphere that I am alone and screwed.
Would turning off enviromine really harm the nature of the pack? I can deal with food/water and maybe even fresh air but I'd at least want to turn off heat because it's the worst of them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oxygen is a big deal so far but that's about it. As far as heat goes, you're going to be more worried about freezing to death than overheating. Imo hypothermia is less frustratingly stupid to deal with than hyperthermia.

Honestly the most frustrating thing is that I was an idiot and decided to play on Hardcore, and the whole thing has low gravity, which has the perk of "you have absolutely no weapon knockback" so Creepers are really, really hard to escape from.

I'm gonna try hardcore again but give myself a couple extra lives because single life hardcore is frustrating. I like how much hardcore makes my hairs stand on end, but I don't like "lol creeper gg no re"

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 15, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Watched about 10mins of someones LP of Aftermath. Im not sure if the children screaming YAAAAAYYY is worse than the fireworks on quest completion or not. But its pretty close.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

OgNar posted:

Watched about 10mins of someones LP of Aftermath. Im not sure if the children screaming YAAAAAYYY is worse than the fireworks on quest completion or not. But its pretty close.

Those are actually stock noises for HQM i think - I hear those exact sound clips on a huge number of modpacks, so I just completely tuned them out.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
They are stock noises? I wanted use those for BFSR. :ohdear:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They are stock noises? I wanted use those for BFSR. :ohdear:

Well, I don't know if they are but I've heard them so many times I'm assuming they are. Either that or people are adding them as a joke, which is also possible.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

OgNar posted:

You get used to it, and when the quests slow down a bit and you stop hearing YAAAAAYY every 20 seconds it's a lot less annoying.

I just made a new map and switched to creative and cheater speedran the entire map in like fifteen minutes, it's pretty drat cool. As best I can tell the quests generally stay oriented on "climb this tech tree, solve this problem. Okay now climb this other tech tree and solve this other problem" and ends with exploring the local area of space around you and couple boss fights instead of dragging on interminably and forcing you into grindy bullshit. I'm looking forward to playing through it!

Based on my initial impressions, my advice is:

1 - Set up shop in the tree farm area so you don't have to worry about maintaining Oxygen supplies. Having to swap out air tanks regularly is annoying and leaving the air vents on eats tons of oxygen
2 - Set up food and water asap, I kinda let it go to faff about some in the mines and wound up regretting it when I got down to 1.5 shanks away from starving before I got food up and running
3 - Use clay from the mine to bootstrap your way past the stupid tree farming stage of skyblocks, the modpack is semi-skyblock but with a much less tedious early game.
4 - The mine is a loving death trap, wall it off like 10-15 blocks from the entrance to give yourself room to mine and don't open it unless you absolutely must.
5 - Different colors of hardened clay have different things they can sift into, use NEI to your advantage!! Notably Brown clay has a higher chance of spitting out bits of dirt, so go to the tree farm and carve out some clay

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 16, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I'm playing it now, got a little stumped for a second when it asked for pebbles and bits of dirt and the clay they gave me to start didn't produce enough, but there's lots of clay under the coarse dirt of the farm itself, so mine that out with your Clay Crusher and you'll be groovy.
As with most Ex Nihilo setups you'll want to set up a cobblestone gen as early as possible, and it's pretty easy to get a crucible quick and a bucket even sooner so you'll be up and running in no time. Then you can move on to sifting gravel for early ores like you normally would, and focus on food and the like.

I do appreciate that for as hardcore as this pack clearly tries to be, using enviromine, hunger overhaul, etc., they still give you a complete autonomous activator early on so sifting is less boring. Seriously, sifting is boring as gently caress.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I'm playing it now, got a little stumped for a second when it asked for pebbles and bits of dirt and the clay they gave me to start didn't produce enough, but there's lots of clay under the coarse dirt of the farm itself, so mine that out with your Clay Crusher and you'll be groovy.
As with most Ex Nihilo setups you'll want to set up a cobblestone gen as early as possible, and it's pretty easy to get a crucible quick and a bucket even sooner so you'll be up and running in no time. Then you can move on to sifting gravel for early ores like you normally would, and focus on food and the like.

I do appreciate that for as hardcore as this pack clearly tries to be, using enviromine, hunger overhaul, etc., they still give you a complete autonomous activator early on so sifting is less boring. Seriously, sifting is boring as gently caress.

You are apparently a lot better than me, as I still don't have a crucible (and as such, no cobblegen) and didn't notice the clay underneath the farm, and have probably been playing twice as long as you.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have all of that but I'm still stuck pissing my dirt away trying to get sugarcane seeds. :argh:

Also, that's an infinite power autonomous activator which is nice.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've never had to use an autonomous activator with a sieve - how do you automate picking up the loot? A hopper can't be placed on top where the poo poo pops out as far as i know. Is there a way to make it work?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

If I remember right you can use a water stream over the sieve to get the items into a hopper.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

If I remember right you can use a water stream over the sieve to get the items into a hopper.

That worked, thanks - has anyone figured out how to avoid overheating? My normal temperature is pretty much 100, which makes me get thirsty incredibly fast, and if i do anything near lava (like mine in a cobblegen) it quickly hits 105 and becomes heat stroke. It takes ages to cool down even in an icy cold area. Is the space suit warming me up or something?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wolpertinger posted:

That worked, thanks - has anyone figured out how to avoid overheating? My normal temperature is pretty much 100, which makes me get thirsty incredibly fast, and if i do anything near lava (like mine in a cobblegen) it quickly hits 105 and becomes heat stroke. It takes ages to cool down even in an icy cold area. Is the space suit warming me up or something?

Put your cobblegen far away.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yep, that. You can use a simple smart piston setup or a timer to push a line of cobblestone away from the lava so you can mine it. Or just put up with it until you can automate cobble (which shouldn't take too long if this is anything like a normal skyblock).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Most packs like this will have a Vacuum Hopper. It sucks in nearby items and pops them into an adjacent chest. Cost to make is one obsidian, an ender eye, and a hopper. Usually worth it, since you can then fully automate it and leave it be.

The mines are an awful place and your air goes really really quick down there. Whatever you do, go slowly and carefully. The last thing you want to do is die too far in (like near the far locker on the main path) because even if you have hardcore mode off, getting your stuff back is going to be very hard without a space suit/air tank. There's a spare in the dorms, I think, but that's it. Tread carefully in the mines.

I'm enjoying this pack a lot, and even Hunger Overhaul's ridiculous nerfs to food aren't as bad as they usually are, since food history is only 8 meals long, so you can go from empty to full by chowing down on a bunch of plain crops of maybe 3-4 types (single-point-hunger foods take a long time to stop being effective) and then finish it off with a simple meal. You only really need like two meals this way, and there's a few pretty simple/reliable ones, usually from sandwiches/toast. It gets even easier once you have a decent production running. The biggest problem is food spoilage prevents food from stacking properly, which is a pain.

I turned off Enviromine's heat system in-game because it was super obnoxious and unlike the air system didn't feel like it was adding anything. I might turn off spoilage, too, since all it's really doing is making my spider eyes take up five slots instead of one and with a watering can I can get piles of crops in about four seconds so it's not like it's making me run out.

Actually, where am I supposed to get flour? One of the relatively early quests in the Provisions line requires you make dough but I've got no sign of any flour-making crops yet. Should I just grind dirt sifting till I get grass seeds?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Actually, where am I supposed to get flour? One of the relatively early quests in the Provisions line requires you make dough but I've got no sign of any flour-making crops yet. Should I just grind dirt sifting till I get grass seeds?

Normally its either Wheat or Barley with a mortar & pestle (3 Stone + 1 stick)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
As far as spoilage goes, one of the quests in the food page gives you a Freezer that prevents spoilage.

For the cobblegen heat problems, make a transfer node and world interaction upgrade.

Other thing to know, you can buy more slots with XP. I didn't notice until I had already chosen like ~5 slot unlock quest rewards. The cost scales up with level as you unlock slots, but you can get several extra inventory slots for relatively cheap early on and it makes it a lot less annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So...on SkyExchange...my infinite dirt block seems to have vanished.

Is that bad? :ohdear:

I mean, I finally started figuring out how the whole EMC thing works, and I've got a very basic "slowly create diamonds in the blue chest condenser thing" thing set up, so it's not the end of the world if I can't get the infinite dirt back.