Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
bernie is good and cool. death is certain, inshallah. :bernget:

how many sex cakes do you think could feed a family of 4?

:duckie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

Identity politics is a dumb phrase that apparently includes Marxism at this point since that focuses on people's identity as workers or capitalists.

Identity politics is whatever you want it to be in your heart.

drat lastgirl got to post this complaint before me

Identity Politics is a Privileged Distraction.

Souai
Dec 16, 2007
In Ellison news, the Wisconsin Dem Chair Martha Laning endorses:

http://www.wisdems.org/news/democratic-party-of-wisconsin-chair-endorses-rep-keith-ellison-for-dnc-chair

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just got home.

I drove an hour to attend my County Democrat Meeting and got to speak during open forum.

I said I was there because I was angry. Angry that Donald Trump is President and Hillary Clinton. That I was also angry that labor had been ignored this election. That we lost Wisconsin and Michigan, the most union states, because we didn't speak to labor issues. Donald Trump spoke to workers about how he was going to bring jobs back from China. He's lying of course, but lies are better than silence. I said Democrats need to make labor the #1 priory going forward from the local to the national level and the strongest voice for that would be to support Keith Ellison as the next DNC chairman.

Everyone applauded and a woman came up to me later to thank me for speaking and that they needed more rabble rousers. :3:

I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

bernie is good and cool. death is certain, inshallah. :bernget:

how many sex cakes do you think could feed a family of 4?

woah!!! nice sig!!!!!!!!!!!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lastgirl posted:

This.

Mods, can we just start probating identity politics chat? I feel like it's a necessity because we keep looping right the gently caress back to it and god knows D&D has plenty of circular firing squads for this over their threads.

"We should reform education." :geno:

"Why should we when people are getting gunned down in the street?" :grin:

"We should probably look to shifting off the industrial model so people can find some financial stability and be put to work instead of drinking away in their dilapidated rural homes and misdirecting their rage and worsening the cascading effects of all the messes we're in." :geno:

"LMAO "ECONOMIC ANXIETY!" LMAO. Btw people are being gunned down in the streets." :grin:

:smugjones:

"We should probably focus on some outreach programs that gives minorities gainful vocational employment, towards infrastructure, healthcare, and robotics in the long run." :geno:

"Pfft as that will ever exist with institutional racism." :grin:

"Yeah which is why we should prioritize the issues and list them out to erode the symptoms that causes such institutions because it's not going away overnight." :geno:

Or we could just go with the c-spam posting route of

"bernie is good and cool. death is certain, inshallah." :bernget:

"how many sex cakes do you think could feed a family of 4?"

I prefer that.

my take: no

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sorry for the day crew question, but given that none of the news outlets I follow predicted this outcome, I am worried that I live in an echo chamber. What news outlet(s) should I be following to get the most balanced news coverage? Laughing in my face while saying "they all suck" is an acceptable answer.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

logikv9 posted:

my take: no

:rip:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

I drove an hour to attend my County Democrat Meeting and got to speak during open forum.

I said I was there because I was angry. Angry that Donald Trump is President and Hillary Clinton. That I was also angry that labor had been ignored this election. That we lost Wisconsin and Michigan, the most union states, because we didn't speak to labor issues. Donald Trump spoke to workers about how he was going to bring jobs back from China. He's lying of course, but lies are better than silence. I said Democrats need to make labor the #1 priory going forward from the local to the national level and the strongest voice for that would be to support Keith Ellison as the next DNC chairman.

Everyone applauded and a woman came up to me later to thank me for speaking and that they needed more rabble rousers. :3:

didn't say "full communism now" get out neoliberal

but seriously thank you and good job!

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Podesta is a piece of poo poo and a massive racist that implied that Ecuadorian people were uncivilized savages for not having lobster risotto in their embassy.

loving purge every Clinton tainted prick out of the party. Let them have their risotto and their wine. We need solutions for the working class and immigrants. Not rich neoliberal fucks.

collectivize the drug farms

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

In order to move beyond Identity Politics we must all become part of a shared consciousness, where individual identity is abolished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-sYwiioeY

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
"Identity Politics" is sort of a boogeyman phrase but it captures the heart of the matter: Dems must be a party for all underprivileged people, including workers and the broader working class, to win at the national level. If we start infighting about which identity is the Real Underprivileged Group we fall apart.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

I'm going to one Wednesday, did you get any follow up information about how things move forward? I'm planning on agitating for him as well, but I want to do more than show up for a meeting every so often.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good. I need to get more involved, but my schedule is this: school-school-school-school-work-work-work :rip:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

In order to move beyond Identity Politics we must all become part of a shared consciousness, where individual identity is abolished.

agreed

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
You have to be pretty delusional to think that Podesta was disparaging Ecuadorian cuisine. But hey if you have a drug farm there maybe you grow to like that cuisine quickly!!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

theHUNGERian posted:

Sorry for the day crew question, but given that none of the news outlets I follow predicted this outcome, I am worried that I live in an echo chamber. What news outlet(s) should I be following to get the most balanced news coverage? Laughing in my face while saying "they all suck" is an acceptable answer.

the only news outlets that were predicting a trump win are the ones who think the wall is a fantastic idea, so i'm going to err on the side of "they all suck"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Full Communism Transhumanism now!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

i'm jealous i really wish i could do that but i can't for the life of me figure out when the chicago one is (no surprise there)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

theHUNGERian posted:

Don't look for Pundit's "hot takes." Look for interviews, and polls. Basically primary sources. For example, what does Jaime Harrison say about his odorous relation with the Podesta Group? Well lets watch Rachel Maddow because she has him on. "It's to feed the kids." :what:

Welp at least we know.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Bill Mitchel and YourVoice Radio apparently

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/762497721831874561

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Helpful/hurtful?: posters and billboards reading "what class are you?"

I feel like most people just assume they're middle class and have never even considered that they're not

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

logikv9 posted:

You have to be pretty delusional to think that Podesta was disparaging Ecuadorian cuisine. But hey if you have a drug farm there maybe you grow to like that cuisine quickly!!

I think we've all learned that Mr. Podesta has a very refined palate indeed. :ghost:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Beachcomber posted:

I feel like most people just assume they're middle class and have never even considered that they're not

That's the secret. "It could be worse therefore I shouldn't complain." is the message.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Lemming posted:

I'm going to one Wednesday, did you get any follow up information about how things move forward? I'm planning on agitating for him as well, but I want to do more than show up for a meeting every so often.

I didn't think to do that. I just left when the meeting adjourned. Many of the local town chairman were in attendance. I'll contact mine and ask about it sometime this week.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Beachcomber posted:

It sort of depends, if you get to a certain level of poor you can't fool yourself anymore.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

bump_fn posted:

i'm jealous i really wish i could do that but i can't for the life of me figure out when the chicago one is (no surprise there)

I'm happy to go to mine but the next meeting apparently isn't until January for some ridiculous reason

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

This.

Mods, can we just start probating identity politics chat? I feel like it's a necessity because we keep looping right the gently caress back to it and god knows D&D has plenty of circular firing squads for this over their threads.

"We should reform education." :geno:

"Why should we when people are getting gunned down in the street?" :grin:

"We should probably look to shifting off the industrial model so people can find some financial stability and be put to work instead of drinking away in their dilapidated rural homes and misdirecting their rage and worsening the cascading effects of all the messes we're in." :geno:

"LMAO "ECONOMIC ANXIETY!" LMAO. Btw people are being gunned down in the streets." :grin:

:smugjones:

"We should probably focus on some outreach programs that gives minorities gainful vocational employment, towards infrastructure, healthcare, and robotics in the long run." :geno:

"Pfft as that will ever exist with institutional racism." :grin:

"Yeah which is why we should prioritize the issues and list them out to erode the symptoms that causes such institutions because it's not going away overnight." :geno:

Or we could just go with the c-spam posting route of

"bernie is good and cool. death is certain, inshallah." :bernget:

"how many sex cakes do you think could feed a family of 4?"

I prefer that.

Get people in elected office that actually give a poo poo about (and hold them responsible to serve) the working class and from that point on pressing social justice issues will naturally become part of the cause, but if it's continually the other way around the fight will get struck down nearly every time and inevitably nothing will ever get repaired economically in this country and the struggle will continue to die on that hill time and time again.

Souai
Dec 16, 2007
That is part of the difficulty in appealing to the working class. I know a lot of people consider literally having a full time job at minimum wage to be middle class. The barest of making ends meet means I'm middle class etc.

You get variances of no wealth 25k income to millionaires with 250k income meaning middle class. Everyone wants to identify as middle class.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

This feels like how Occupy started

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I found my State Speaker's email address.

It was missing on the list but here it:

mmadigan@housedem.state.il.us

What do I write exactly if I want Keith Ellison as the DNC chair?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Donate to his campaign fund and make sure to use his associated law firm for any of your legal needs. Then maybe try to get a meeting to express your concern.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Beachcomber posted:

I was raised to believe that my family was middle class when in fact we were poors.

I also somehow didn't realize that my parents were fats. I should have known, though. They taught me to wipe my butt all wrong.

In all seriousness though, I think a lot of people either don't realize they're poor or don't want to realize. And when you put two incomes together, it muddies the water even more. How secure do you have to be to not be poor? How long could you keep a roof over your head if you lost your job? If you were sick? Issues regarding lower class workers would be easy to ignore if you don't realize that the concern you personally.

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Nov 15, 2016

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot

Souai posted:

That is part of the difficulty in appealing to the working class. I know a lot of people consider literally having a full time job at minimum wage to be middle class. The barest of making ends meet means I'm middle class etc.

You get variances of no wealth 25k income to millionaires with 250k income meaning middle class. Everyone wants to identify as middle class.

Yes I'm strictly only referring to able bodied people capable of working between the 15%-25% Federal tax bracket.

Go to bed or go screw

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

punk rebel ecks posted:

You should probably call him (773) 581-8000

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

that e-mail doesn't work, we've tried it repeatedly and get failed to deliver messages

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

LegionAreI posted:

I'm happy to go to mine but the next meeting apparently isn't until January for some ridiculous reason

Looks like I missed the bus on my local parties as well. WilCo Democrats held their monthly meeting on the 10th, and the Texas Democratic Party holds their meetings...sometime? I think I remember it being the first Thursday of the month, but it's impossible to find anything on their website.

I'm kind of surprised nobody is scheduling any party meetings or anything, considering the complete shellacking we just received and all the poo poo going on in the party at large right now.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Zikan posted:

that e-mail doesn't work, we've tried it repeatedly and get failed to deliver messages

this is Illinois Dems as gently caress

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

punk rebel ecks posted:

i tried emailing that on friday and it bounced

call the office instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zythrst posted:

Also its narrated by Bernie and Mark Ruffalo so now I want Bernie to be in The Avengers.

90% of the audience - "why did Stan Lee shave his moustache?".

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

And that woman's name was Albert Einstein.

Seriously though, why are people saying Ellisson is the only choice for a labor focused Dem party? Does he have experience as a strike leader or a union boss or something?

Not being dismissive, I just want to know what exactly people are referring to.

• Locked thread